AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Silverado1 Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/16/17 02:51 PM
Hello all
As a property owner on AC I am sickened by the amount of plastic trash on our beaches, we have such a beautiful place here but must step up to do our part.i know much of this pollution is swept in.
Can any one inform me of an organized group to facilitate clean up steps being taken?
There are many ways to get the people and businesses involved with this.
Are there any recycling facilities on the mainland?
Thanks for any information on this.
Posted By: collyk Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/16/17 03:17 PM
The Phoenix Resort organises regular clean ups as do various neighbourhood watches. The best thing you could do is to talk to your neighbours and start your own.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/17/17 01:01 PM
Individuals can make a difference by taking action on their own as well. A neighbor picks up about 500 feet of back each day. "Her" stretch looks natural a very nice (thank you !!)
I walk my dog along the beach and pick up plastic as I go. It makes a difference.
Suggest that you instruct your caretaker to clean 100' north and south of your property while he/she does your beach, and have them bag it and hand it over to you for proper disposal.
Unfortunately there is no structured plastic recycling program in Belize at this time. A project called Earth's Oceans is trying to get off the ground here, and if it begins operations it will offer cash for plastic. Founders are local property/business owners working with Cousteau Foundation and some big-league retail outlets (which will sell goods made from recycled junk).

Posted By: PDS Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/17/17 02:10 PM
While we were building our sea wall, we collected tons of plastic and used as filling. With golf carts we pressed them and added sand over it. Definitely recommend it. You save money and help to clean up yours and neighbors shore.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/20/17 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by PDS
While we were building our sea wall, we collected tons of plastic and used as filling. With golf carts we pressed them and added sand over it. Definitely recommend it. You save money and help to clean up yours and neighbors shore.

this seems like a good idea until we have a big storm that undercuts the sea wall and disburses the trash. have seen it happen way too often....
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/20/17 06:27 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/...amp;nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=37304615
Posted By: Silverado1 Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/24/17 12:16 PM
I strongly suggest you watch the documentary called "plastic ocean" this plastic is killing sea birds who feed it to their young, the strofoam is breaking up into microbeads and being eaten by all forms of ocean life
Plus the the plastics have a form of estrogen, when we eat the fish guess who gets the end result?
The documentary is very eye opening and terrifying.
I hope it's not to late to turn this around.
Please stop using plastic when possible.
Posted By: katzgar Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/24/17 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by PDS

will you disclose the landfill on your property when you sell.
Posted By: Silverado1 Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/25/17 04:45 AM
Great article!
Posted By: PDS Re: Plastic trash on shoreline - 04/26/17 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by katzgar
Originally Posted by PDS

will you disclose the landfill on your property when you sell.

Proudly
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board