AmbergrisCaye.com Home

World Cup

Posted By: James Pearce

World Cup - 06/11/10 03:25 PM

Any recommended venues on the island for watching World Cup matches?

In particular, of course, tomorrow's between England and the USA... (You've heard of soccer, right? ;-) )
Posted By: Gaz Cooper

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 03:30 PM

u mean football wink

Gaz
Posted By: swanno

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 03:45 PM

Gaz
Well officially the name for 'football" is Association Football, a term coined in England, the birthplace of the modern game.
Over the years, Association part has been dropped and the term Football is more widely accepted.
The official name for rugby is "rugby football"

Soccer was originally derived as a abbreviation by the English for Association Football. (assoc.) (this was back around the late 1800's when the modern game was still fairly new)

So I suppose us Brits really have ourselves to blame for the term "soccer"!!

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 04:25 PM

Yes, I meant the 'football' that doesn't require players to dress up in dainty padding and helmets.

Born and bred in London, so my allegiances (and lexicon) are clear ;-)

I was wondering if the rival team was going to be able to muster any local fans for a big-screen experience somewhere - whatever they decide to rename the game.

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 04:29 PM

LOL Ok James were on the same team

With regards to whether the rival team will be able to muster some supporters I dont think they even know the world cup is going on LOL

Gaz
Posted By: Inplub

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 04:45 PM

Try Pedro's
Posted By: grant3wishes

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 06:03 PM

I am going to Lime to watch it on their big screen, and to eat their 'Full English Breakfast', which they are running through lunch-time tomorrow. May even have a cuppa too, they will have Tetley's available.

I believe a few of the Brits here are also going to be at Cholo's, which has four large flat screens for your viewing pleasure.....

Here's looking forward to a good game tomorrow, and come on you Engerland!!!!!

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 06:10 PM

That sounds good.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 06:39 PM

ENGLAND, ENGLAND, ENGLAND!!!! YAAAY.

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 06:49 PM

Uruguay V France on next MOTD.
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: World Cup - 06/11/10 07:12 PM

Hi James,

I will be going to Pedro's to watch. However Lime and Cholo's have people going there and Stadium will also be playing the games.
Posted By: chris45

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 12:10 AM

After a pretty lacklustre display by England (no change there then) the 1-0 win by Slovenia does at least give Englands fans some hope.
My initial feeling was to volunteer to light the funeral pyre for our goalkeeper, but on reflection, everyone has a bad day. His career would be finished if he was dropped now. he is a professional and a good goal keeper. he will get over it and come back all the stronger (I hope) I wish Crouch had come on earlier to give us a bit more height but other than that Capello's selection looked Ok.
Can we qualify? Most certainly butnothing less than a win against Algeria is now needed.
Posted By: World Traveller

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 01:15 AM

The Germany game was fun to watch... good passing and a few well crafted goals.

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 01:34 AM

Yes WT, Germany has looked easily the best side so far, despite a surprisingly inept (and most un-Australian) performance.
Trouble is us English are all now getting that familiar sinking feeling. We qualify in second place and in the round of 16 we meet.....Germany. the score is 0-0 after extra time (does this start to sound familiar?) then we go to penalties and we lose 5-4
Can fate be THAT cruel to us yet again? We shall see.

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 02:12 AM

'Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.'
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 02:24 AM

It's still boring
Posted By: Phil

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 05:16 PM

You could reinvent it Ernie. Make the goal bigger -like the whole end of the pitch so the scores gets higher. Add Time outs for TV adverts and allow runs to the kitchen for pop corn and hotdogs and more of the fizzy watery stuff called Bud. Expand the substitures so the poor things don't get too tired. Then your fat atheletes could play, like now. Make sure it's impossible for a draw (tie) and then only one country might play and you can call it a World Series.

The reality is Football will stay as it is - the Worlds most popular sport and the US will improve even more and in two generations it will be the most popular sport in the US as it is everywhere else......
Posted By: bywarren

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 05:42 PM

Let's hope they ban the vuvuzela. frown

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 06:16 PM

Good suggestions, Phil. Some how they sound a little familiar, ummm leme think.

Re: World Cup - 06/14/10 08:23 PM

grin

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 03:51 AM

Well whatever some US citizens think of football, there are thtee indisputable facts.
1. The Football World Cup now taking place in South Africa is the number one sporting event in the world with or without US participation.
2. A growing number of US citizens are taking up football (men women and children)
3. American citizens bought more tickets for this World Cup than any other nation.
I am sure the footballing world welcomes American to participate and as we have seen they have so far been very worthy of their countrymens support.

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 05:23 PM

Viva Espana

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Phil
Viva Espana

LOL So much for them being the ones to beat, they put a lot of pressure on the Swiss but what a great win for Switzerland

Its getting interesting LOL

Ill post it before Ernie B does

Its still boring smile

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 05:58 PM

grin

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 06:11 PM

Gaz
Everyone's first game in the world cup is always a defensive battle, teams go into the games with the "let's make sure we don't lose our first game" mentality. akin to the first round of a Heavyweight boxing match.

Who would have thought that none of England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France could win a game and only score 2 goals between them.
None of the teams have really shown how they can play (except Germany but lets face it they were only playing the Aussies). Even Brazil struggled for 50 minutes to breakdown North Korea.

Now the competition really starts, things will open out. Teams will need to go for a win qualify for the next round I think we are going to see some very interesting games

I agree I have been really disappointed with the over defensive chess matches so far. We all hope for open, exciting, entertaining football but

So if all goes to plan its England to score 5 against Algeria and then another 4 against Slovenia
Mind you I would settle for 2 1-0 victories!!!

C'mon England
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: World Cup - 06/16/10 10:11 PM

I'm with you swanno

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 02:26 AM

well i don't know what you're putting in your coffee (5 v algeria and 4 v Slovenia ??) but can I have some? more to the point can you get some to our team?
Agree with your analysis. Its important not to peak too soon, there's a long way to go

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 02:56 AM

Zzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 05:05 AM

I was not implying it was boring in my eyes Lads just I knew Ernie would post after that its all just to boring for him so thought I would save him the trouble LOL

Im quite enjoying the world cup but would enjoy it a lot more if we stick Algeria tommorow.

Looks like Ernies having a well deserved Nap smile

Gaz
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 05:19 AM

GAZ
Algeria is ranked 30th--should be a walk in the park for ENG.
I am of Scottish decent so tomorrow I root for the Britts.
I was glad to see Chili win--first win in 48 years!!!They must have been bouncing off the walls down there in Santiago. They probably still are knowing how the latinos go!! Good for them. Manana here on the island with the MEX match there will be TV's in the streets and no one will come back to work from lunch if they win.
Posted By: TravelinMan1

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 01:21 PM

regarding SOCCER. I actually enjoy the game at the world cup level. Not sure I could watch all the club level matches though. I think maybe (trying to speak for Americans in General) the biggest problem I have with the sport is that players are always faking injuries in order to gain an advantage. It is the only sport that I am aware of that allows this to continue. Although it does take a tremendous amount of athletic ability It is spoiled in my opinion by seeing someone who with no contact whatsoever falls to the ground and rolls around like a baby in agony until he gets a free kick. If he does not he gets up quickly and like magic resumes play. Say what you will about Baseball where players are sometimes drilled with 100 MPH fast balls in the head and body and in an attempt to make a play a player will run into a wall and then get up and resume play. American football may not seem like an athletic event to some of you but the only way you will understand just how demanding it really is is to watch from the sidelines at field level, only then will you understand what it must feel like to get hit by someone who weights 250 lbs running at about 20 mph. The padding is there because otherwise people would die!

So if you want Americans to appreciate the game more STOP the CRYING! There is not crying in football or baseball!

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by TravelinMan1
only then will you understand what it must feel like to get hit by someone who weights 250 lbs running at about 20 mph.

Ah no, that's rugby.

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 01:32 PM

regarding SOCCER. I actually enjoy the game at the world cup level. Not sure I could watch all the club level matches though. I think maybe (trying to speak for Americans in General) the biggest problem I have with the sport is that players are always faking injuries in order to gain an advantage. It is the only sport that I am aware of that allows this to continue. Although it does take a tremendous amount of athletic ability It is spoiled in my opinion by seeing someone who with no contact whatsoever falls to the ground and rolls around like a baby in agony until he gets a free kick. If he does not he gets up quickly and like magic resumes play. Say what you will about Baseball where players are sometimes drilled with 100 MPH fast balls in the head and body and in an attempt to make a play a player will run into a wall and then get up and resume play. American football may not seem like an athletic event to some of you but the only way you will understand just how demanding it really is is to watch from the sidelines at field level, only then will you understand what it must feel like to get hit by someone who weights 250 lbs running at about 20 mph. The padding is there because otherwise people would die!

So if you want Americans to appreciate the game more STOP the CRYING! There is not crying in football or baseball!

TROLL smile

Im not biting LOL

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by James Pearce
only then will you understand what it must feel like to get hit by someone who weights 250 lbs running at about 20 mph.

Ah no, that's rugby.

With NO pads smile

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 02:16 PM

Goals are flying in now...its now no long boring...will this make Ernie happy?

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 02:18 PM

hes still sleeping smile LOL

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 06:55 PM

Incidentally, Cholo's was a good destination for the England match last week. Hopefully a fun vibe there tomorrow too.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 08:07 PM

How to Silence Obnoxious, Deafening Vuvuzela
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 09:53 PM

Why is Belize not in the world cup tournament?
Posted By: Belize-N-Us

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by James Pearce
Incidentally, Cholo's was a good destination for the England match last week. Hopefully a fun vibe there tomorrow too.

As long as they run off some of the Belize City thugs who sometimes hang out there acting rude/crude comments.

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 10:27 PM

.........and replace them with some good old English hooligans!!!

Seriously I've not seen any Belize thugs in there with any regularity and I pass it twice a day walking the dog (honest). Just locals having a few beers. Bet it was humming this afternoon. Poor old France. snigger snigger. At least we won't be on our own if we don't win tomorrow.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 10:29 PM

VIVA MEXICO!!!

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 10:31 PM

Why is Belize not in the World Cup? A: //ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/284743/1.html

Re: World Cup - 06/17/10 11:07 PM

For the same reason Canada isn't. They lose too much.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 12:01 AM

Simple answer there. Hockey you play year round. Soccer...not so much.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 12:17 AM

But Hockey players spend half their time mending...

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 12:23 AM

Well I won't be happy till I see France on the plane home. Of course England's victory as forecast yesterday by Swanno will go a long way, but France do not deserve to be in South Africa. Ask any Irishman.
However there is much to worry about before the final whistle tomorrow. Heskey or Crouch? Green or James? Cole or Lennon? it goes on. And can the old theory about Gerrard and Lampard playing together be finally laid to rest?
This is a must win game for England, preferably preceded by a draw between USA and Slovenia.
So now we have to wait in front of the TV with fingers crossed.
Oh by the way, before the England game (so I can't be accused of making excuses) the Addidas ball is crap. There have been only a couple of free kicks on target, and a plethora of overhit passes. the ball is clearly hard to control and is detracting from the quality of the football on view.
But we will still win.....

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 12:37 AM

HUH ?

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ernie B
HUH ?

Go back to sleep Ernie grin

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 01:14 AM

OK, Good idea smile
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 01:17 AM

GO LAKERS! lol
Posted By: klcman

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:02 AM

Lakers are sunk........... from the 17 time WORLD CHAMPION

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seashell

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:11 AM

Ya well, that's what you guys said on Tuesday . . .BEFORE the game . . .neener neener neener

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:14 AM

cavedin to TV network so they could make more advertising revenue

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:14 AM

cough

So . . you are saying the Celtics threw the game for money?

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:16 AM

And here I thought the World Cup was in South Africa....

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:16 AM

Errr this is a Word Cup Thread

NO HIGHJACKING for a hockey game start your own thread smile

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:18 AM

Hockey Game! smile sorry Gaz . . .they/we were hijacking for basketball playoffs.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:18 AM

smile After tommorrow, tonight its all fair game! NBA rules!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:19 AM

NBA? Who dat????

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:20 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzz !

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:22 AM

Got a bumblebee up his bung!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gaz Cooper
Errr this is a Word Cup Thread

NO HIGHJACKING for a hockey game start your own thread smile

Gaz

since when did hijacking become wrong? BWHAHAHAHA

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:27 AM

Aren't you the guy that just told us tht all of San Pedro are Celtics' fans?

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by seashell
Hockey Game! smile sorry Gaz . . .they/we were hijacking for basketball playoffs.

Im with Ernie

Boring Zzzzzzzzzzz smile

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:42 AM

LOL, Gaz, OK back to your regularly scheduled thread about World Cup . . .
Posted By: Hon

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 03:06 AM

Vamos Argentina!!!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 04:20 AM

My vote is with Argentina for soccer, don't cry for me Argentina, because I am gone!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 04:58 AM

LAKERS! NBA CHAMPIONS....what a game...

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieMar

Zzzzzzz sleep

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:37 AM

You have got to be kidding me!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gaz Cooper
Originally Posted by LaurieMar

Zzzzzzz sleep

Nope quite serious I find baskeball quite boring althought the Harlem Globetrotters were pretty entertaining when I saw them as a Kid.

Now onto the serious stuff

GO SERBIA 1-0 Half Time come on stick to the Geeermans

Yeahhhh Serbia saved a penalty vidic should of been sent of for his handball though. Its getting good now LOL

England Algeria Later COME ON ENGLAND\\

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 01:57 PM

I have been told they have dropped GREEN from England's team. That what you get when you drop the ball. They are now going with James who has a bad back.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:20 PM

I support Aston Villa but I rate Joe Hart Blues keeper should play him

YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Germans LOST

Great game though

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:41 PM

Just how long does this stoopid stuff go on, zzzzzzzzz
Posted By: Brandon C

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:43 PM

Just how long does this stoopid stuff go on, zzzzzzzzz
Yeah, soccer is boring...

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 02:57 PM

You'll both be well rested. Another month almost. YES. It's the greatest sporting time every four years.

Couldn't decide if I wanted the Germans to win or lose. It doesn't matter I guess we're fated to meet them whatever in the next round. All we have to do is get there.

Gerrard and lampard will click today so long as Barry plays well. Keeper no big deal either way - I'd like to see him stick with Green. Rooney will ignite this afternoon too.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 04:53 PM

Unlucky USA, should have won.
Posted By: Amir

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 05:07 PM

yes, referee wants attention. too much focus on players makes him feel small. same thing happens too often in final minutes of basketball and american football games.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 05:11 PM

Rooney will ignite this afternoon too. You mean crash and burn?

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 05:32 PM

Disappointing for USA. Only the ref knows why the third goal was disallowed. It was not clear at all from the replays. All I could see was at least 3 Slovenian defenders with their arms around US players. Ref didn't see any of that.
Still probably the best result from an England point of view. But it does not change the fact that Englands game against Algeria is a must win game. that would put us into game 3 with 4 points level with Slovenia. USA could still qualify , but under this scenario, not Algeria. So its a must win for Algeria too.
We should know any time now who starts for England, and then we get down to business. We need to win, but we need to win well.
Germany probably still awaits us....don't anyone be fooled by their poor performance today. Germany doesn't have many bad matches in the World Cup.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:14 PM

im not scared of Germans :)bring it on

but algeria first

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:17 PM

But you are not playing. Not long now.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:21 PM

Germany aren't that good at the back. Their left fullback got roasted all game and both Centre Halves are slow and don't turn well. They're good going forward when allowed space. Sounds exactly like England, except we haven't looked good going forward - YET.

If we win by two today a draw in the last game gaurantees qualification for the knockout stage. I think we'll win both comfortably without any stupid sending offs or injuries.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:24 PM

Were are you watching the game Phil?

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:29 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 06:31 PM

Sounds like your football team this afternoon.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 08:19 PM

PAINFUL to watch

Not sure I can take more of this LOL

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 08:37 PM

What's happening - I don't have tv at the office?
Posted By: ron

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 08:48 PM

Tie at nil nil 62 minute.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 08:54 PM

Thanks Ron.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:02 PM

same score 77 minute

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:11 PM

Is it exciting at least????

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:12 PM

NO

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:20 PM

God help us in the next game.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:20 PM

tie nil-nil. not so good for england.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:39 PM

Horrid match!

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:43 PM

bummer. not gonna win the sweepstakes with these types of scores. thanks for the updates Ron.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:44 PM

Told ya it was boring smile

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 09:46 PM

I am sorry you were right Ernie.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 10:00 PM

No problem.

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 10:48 PM

Well it's all Swanno's fault. If he had sent some of what ever he had in HIS coffee, to our team, as I suggested earlier, none of this would have happened.
As it is Inplug has suggested invoking God's help which might be a substantially better idea than the Gerrard/Lampard midfield partnership.
On the negative side it was a truly dreadful display. if you noticed the England team's body language at halftime it was that of a beaten subdued side. and so it turned out. There were IMHO no even adequate performances. no wonder the England fans booed them off the pitch.
On the positive side (this may sound far fetched) we are still in the WC, and we could qualify. Why bother? thats another question...
We have 2 points,USA also has 2 points, Algeria 1 point, and Slovenia 4 points. So any of the four sides could still theoretically go through to the Round of 16.
So once again England has a must win game this time against Slovenia.
Capello has some thinking to do, and to inject some fire into English hearts.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: World Cup - 06/18/10 11:16 PM

The padding is there because otherwise people would die!

I though the padding was there because they were not quite ready for a game of Rugby wink

I must say I do agree with the comments about fake injuries....

I would like to see more Yellow Cards for bad acting

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 02:21 AM

Chris
Yup blame it all on me, I had 5 cups of my coffee this morning!!
In my 52 years of being on this earth I have never seen such a heartless and pathetic performance from an English national side. It was discraceful.
Zero passion, no pace and thoroughly deserved to get booed off at the end

As the headline in The Sun aptly says
"Never in the field of World Cup conflict has no little been offered by so few to so many..with apologies to Winston Churchill"

Drastic action needed, change it round Capello, time to play some players who are proud to play for their country
Still as you say all we need to do is beat Slovenia and we will be though to the next round.

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 04:40 AM

errrr.............or not

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 05:45 AM

Absolute disgrace I actually gave up and went to bed at the 72nd minute had had enough could take it anymore.

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 07:29 AM

Well you all can simply start routing for the USA.

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 01:50 PM

It's OK Swanno. Apology accepted.
But here's a thought. Is Zoe doing anything next Wednesday? I mean we need SOMETHING up front (and this comes from a Man Utd supporter...)

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 02:52 PM

At least Zoe would run around for 90 minutes and might be able to control a ball !! (which is more than can be said for some of our players put there yesterday)
Drastic action is needed, maybe they all need to have a night our with the WAGS.

It hurts me to say it but drop Rooney, Johnson and Lampard. Rooney need a kick up the Ar*e, Frank seems to have no energy and Johnson can't even pass a ball 5 yards but we don't have another right back to replace him
My team would be
James
Johnson Terry King/Dawson Cole
Lennon Carrick Gerard, Cole J
Defoe Crouch

My Spurs boys will win the game for England

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 04:55 PM

On mature relection....
this is not a question of players not being good enough. You don't lose ball skills overnight. we have all seen these guys playing great football in the premiership. Rooney 3 months ago before his inevitable injury was being hailed as the best player in the world (a bit OTT if you ask me, but that is what was being said). Hardly lived up to that yesterday did he!!!!
No, this is a question of psychology. these guys are not up for it. Why? Only they and the manager know the answer. But if a team goes onto the field with their tail between their legs, the manager and captain must take the blame.
Gerrard is however excused. After the season he has had at Anfield, total depression written all over his face week after week, not knowing who he will be playing for next season, and being anyway a crap captain at the best of times, I doubt he even wanted the job as England's captain.
Capello must take responsibility for all this. The worst thing any manager can say about anything is " I don't know" We have to find someone who DOES know.
So a real genuine MUST WIN on Wednesday. And will we (England fans) be watching with huge optimism? Of course we will.
BTW does Zoe play left side or right side? She can have either (or both)

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 05:26 PM

Is it too late to bring in the under 21 team?
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 05:39 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ngland-posters-from-Scottish-stores.html

We have lots of Scots on AC. Anyone agree with this?

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 05:56 PM

Chris
Who knows what goes on behind closed doors at the England camp As you say they are not bad players, but the pysocology is all wrong. Passion and pride is the major part of the English game and none of them are showing either. They clearly are not up for it.
If you can't get motivated for the World Cup then there is something clearly wrong
Zoe will play wherever we tell her to play, she will be showing her skills at BCs when we are there in 10 days

Re: World Cup - 06/19/10 06:42 PM

Peter, I saw this story and just thought it was a mis-judgement on the part of HMV local store management. I don't think it is racial, but it could stir up "feeling" between some Scottish and English folk. On that basis alone it was wrong.
personally I would have been cheering for Scotland had they qualified instead of England.
I was going to ask where I could buy a "Anybody but France" tee shirt, (you know why), but I don't think I will be needing that now LOL.

Re: World Cup - 06/20/10 06:13 PM

What an upside down World Cup. Even Ernie might wake up.

France in total disarray. England looking clueless and winless. Spain lost. Italy winless. Germany lost. Brazil squeak past North Korea. There are two more groups to complete their second games and more shocks possible.

The crazy thing is all these teams can still pull out a win in their final group game and qualify and one of them will probably go on and become World Champions.

Re: World Cup - 06/20/10 06:15 PM

I'm off to Cholo's for potentially the best game so far - Brazil v Ivory Coast. I smell a shock result.
Posted By: Three_Palms

Re: World Cup - 06/20/10 07:14 PM

All the USA needs on Wednesday is a little help from the "hand of Rob"

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 01:57 AM

http://www.mirror.co.uk/video/sport...dcast-england-v-algeria-115875-22344581/

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 12:34 PM

Watching the matches yesterday clearly brings to light the issues with soccer whereby the game can easily be tainted/influenced by an individual or a team. As I have always said it seems to me that the Italian team uses the dramatizing of injuries as a kind of weapon. The world cup has so far shown that the biggest problem with the game is the officials. The game is broken!

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 12:42 PM

Yawnnnnnnnnn

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted By: purdygrl

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 02:06 PM

Really Ernie have you been watching Portugal vs Korea DPR this game has been fast paced and exciting.

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 02:08 PM

Ernie's fast asleep I can hear him snoring from here.

N Korea started off great but after the first half they are getting hammered.

now its 7-0

Gaz
Posted By: Marty

Re: World Cup - 06/21/10 02:25 PM

jeeze hammered i guess!!!!

Re: World Cup - 06/22/10 07:37 PM

Well France got their desserts, and South Africa despite elimination can claim a moral as well as an actual victory.
Argentina and South Korea should join Mexico and Uruguay in the round of 16.
And so to England.
We need to win against Slovenia, and to be sure of top spot, to win by three goals. A draw could also see us through but we would need USA to draw with Algeria AND we need to score three more goals than USA. Hope thats clear. lets also hope we don't need to be scrabbling around for goal difference etc.
followers of England all know we COULD suddenly emerge from this group, and then the media will go into reverse and smoothly into overdrive to claim England as favorites.
truth is Capello has had to scrape the barrel to put a squad together. He took at least four injured players (Barry, Ferdinand, King,James) plus Rooney who has had a series of minor niggles over the past 3 months or so. He talked Carragher out of International retirement and failed to talk Scoles into following him. To that he has added several players clearly not at their best (Terry, Carrick,Gerrard) plus one almost never plays well for England (Lampard), What does all this say?
We'll see tomorrow. I just hope we play like we are in a World tournament.
Come on you reds!

Re: World Cup - 06/22/10 09:40 PM

Chris
Nice to see us playing in Red tomorrow, maybe theat will make it easier for them to pass to each other. Interesting that you never made any comment on Capello's choice of goalkeepers ... Calamity James or Rob (where's the ball Green.

So operation tomorrow is to find the bar in New York that will be showing the England game rather than the USA game.
After looking at my Coffee grinds this morning I am getting a mixed message...its either a comfortable 3-0 victory or a squeeky bum last minute winner 2-1 victory

Just so we all aware. If England draw 2-2 and USA draw 0-0 then England and USA finish on equal points, equal goal difference, equal goals scored. So they pick one name out of a hat to see who goes through...now that would no doubt wake Ernie up!!

Re: World Cup - 06/22/10 09:50 PM

England just need to win to go through and win by a larger margin than the US to top the group - not win by three goals.

Re: World Cup - 06/22/10 09:58 PM

I hope he plays Rooney on his own up front with Joe Cole on the left, Lennon or SWP on the right Lampard and Gerrard in the middle alternating their support for Rooney with Barry holding midfield.

All owe us a display but especially Lampard who I don't recall ever seeing do much for England.

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 01:10 AM

Phil, not wishing to be argumentative, but USA currently has a better goals scored than England by 2 goals, with the same points and goal difference.Therefore if England and USA both win, we need at least 3 goals more than USA score to clinch top spot. Am i wrong?
But I agree with your team selection, reluctantly because of lack of choice.
I still think Zoe should be playing
And Swanno just for the record I would have gone for Hart. it seems Capello does not pick form players, he picks names. but lets face it ANYONE could have displayed more fight than in that last game.
So a tense time for us.
Come on you reds.

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 01:13 AM

"Tense time" ? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Welcome to the world of stress, Yawnnnn

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 01:24 AM

How about those Lakers? smile

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 01:37 AM

What has to happen for the US to go to the round of 16?

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 01:44 AM

HUH ?

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 02:03 AM

Go back to sleep Ernie

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 02:06 AM

OK

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 02:09 AM

I am now a scokker fan

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 03:25 AM

Chris
There are 2 scenarios
Lets assume both England and USA both win their game.
If both England and USA win by the exact same scoreline then USA finish top of the group and England finish 2nd.
Very simply for England to finish top they will need to win by 1 more goal than USA. ie England win 2-0 and USA win 1-0 then England win the group.

However If England win 4-3 and USA win 1-0 then England finish top of the group since they would have scored 5 goals against the USA 4 goals. (thats where you get the 3 goal difference from)
If England win 3-2 and the USA win 1-0 then we go to drawing lots since they both have the same goals scored and goal difference

Clear as mud eh?

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 03:23 PM

Get in there England 1-0 23 minutes Defoe

thank god now lets hope we hold onto the lead

Ok a win, not the the most impressive but a win never the less. improvement in the team but we still need to play waaaay better in the last 16.

Looks like USA goes through too TOP of the group

Well done USA

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 05:01 PM

Who'd have thought

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 05:32 PM

Wow fingernail biting stuff or what? Feel sorry for Slovenia but well done US.

Chris, imaterial now but goal difference comes first as a deciding factor then it's goals scored if the goal difference is the same, so all we needed to do was win by a goal more than the US to have a better goal difference.

Lets wait to see who the US and England play in the last 16.

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 06:12 PM

Well done USA you deserve to go through, geat atmosphere in my local, USA game downstairs and the England game upstairs.

So that now sets it all up nicely for an England v Brazil final.
Assuming Germany wins their group we could have this "very easy" path to the final
Germany in the last 16
Argentina in the quarters
Portugal in the semis

If only we had won the group!!

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 06:15 PM

I LOVE THIS GAME !

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 07:24 PM

yeahhhhh Ernies awake at last

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 07:26 PM

I LOVE THIS GAME !

Who is this, Really?

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 08:47 PM

I think Ernie sleeps while the games are on and wakes up at the full time whistle.

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 08:58 PM

I couldnt wake up at the 'full time' whistle, 'cause I dont know what that is.
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 06/23/10 09:27 PM

Oh dear Oh dear, its England Germany again. our nightmare of penalties looms ever closer.
Still it was a much better performance given that Rooney is clearly way out of form. I still can't see how Capello gets to have Cole and Heskey as our final strikers. And what happened to Crouch?
Excellent result for USA who might surprise Ghana.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 04:22 PM

Bring on the NFL, cause soccer is so boring.
They run around, all fall down, but there's not any scoring.
All day horns are loud and screams are heard from the crowd,
But if that goal is for USA, chances are it will be disallowed.
Who says its the greatest thing in sports, this World Cup?
Chaotic mess filled with politics, its why the world's screwed up

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 04:50 PM

LMAO Amir maybe you should join Earnie and have a Nap

Well the surprises keep coming Italy down 3-2 to Slovakia

2 mins to go

And now defending champs are out, looks like anything can happen in this WC

who next lol

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 05:46 PM

Bring it on!!!!! Germany. Argentina. Portugal. Brazil. If that doesn't fire up the senior pro's nothing will. We'll fare better versus those than the easier on paper route that the US now have.
If we can catch fire we're the ones to fear not the other way round.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 05:56 PM

I don't know how anyone can call FOOTBALL boring.

American football - chess with people, big people!! 3 minutes strategy, 5 to 10 seconds of activity.

Bouncy ball - score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score, score,score, score, score, score, score, score, etc....

Baseball - way too much like cricket.......

Ice-hockey - exciting, nothing bad to say about that game. I am just not so much into blood sports....

Football - tension builds excitement, but you have to keep your concentration alive, no time outs....

And, it is the FIFA World Cup, no 'S' for 'Soccer in FIFA....

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 06:05 PM

The last few days the tennis at Wimbledon has held more excitement than the World Cup (ducking to avoid the brickbats).
Posted By: MisterB266

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Amir
Bring on the NFL, cause soccer is so boring.

In NFL style “football”, the action is kept short so that sponsors can fit in as many commercials as possible, and also so that the players don’t have to think for too long. The players get instructions from the quarterback who has received instructions from the offensive coach. No player has to think for himself! This is the Dick Cheney version of creativity, otherwise known as, “doing exactly what you’re told”. So, you get 4 seconds of extremely violent action and then the only genuinely creative activity, a beer commercial.

Why does the NFL insist on calling football “soccer”? Why do they have such a problem calling it football? It’s a game played with a ball which is struck with the foot, hence, foot-ball. You see? Are you following this USA? The clue is in the title. It’s not that difficult.

Whereas, American “football”, as they call it, is a game where an object that’s not really a ball at all – it’s the wrong shape for a ball – is carried around by hand or occasionally thrown for other players to catch in their hands. Only 1 person on each team is actually allowed to kick the ball and they have to be specially brought onto the field to do it.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 08:02 PM

Why is it that everytime the subject of "football" (as in the worlds most popular sport), is mentioned, it brings forth sneers and denials that Americans are interested. and that NFL, basketball and baseball are proper American sports and always will be?
You never hear basketball fans criticising NFL or baseball fans criticising basketball.
This is the case on all three forums I contribute to.
My theory is that this is the "not invented here" syndrome. which is strange because other areas of foreign invention in US like Chinese and Japanese food for example have taken root.
I have seen some very strong attacks on football but most completely ignore the basic undeniable fact that whatever an individuals likes or dislikes, football IS the worlds favorite game, played by more countries than any other.
If someone does not like Japanese food that is a personal choice, but we would ridicule someone who said Japanese food is (say) all raw fish and slimy rice and therefore no good, wouldn't we? Even if that were true (it isn't) it would not disqualify the fact that the Japanese nation plus millions of other people around the world love it.
So it is with football. Different people like different things.
someone on another forum said that understanding the point of view and the tastes of others is a fundemental we should all strive towards.
That's tough. I struggle too.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 08:08 PM

Except Chris that the word "football" seems to mean different things to different people.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 08:40 PM

According to John Stewart
If the USA wins the World Cup than the whole world will have to call the sport 'SOCCER' for 4 years.
I wonder what the odds of that happening are.

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach
According to John Stewart
If the USA wins the World Cup than the whole world will have to call the sport 'SOCCER' for 4 years.
I wonder what the odds of that happening are.

Zero

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 09:00 PM

Odds on USA to win World Cup 40/1
Odds of the whole world calling the sport soccer..infinity

Mind you I think USA should get thru to the semis they only have Ghana and then probably Uruguay to beat.
If only England had won their group

Re: World Cup - 06/24/10 10:06 PM

You never hear basketball fans criticising NFL or baseball fans criticising basketball.

NBA fans have style. Hey, how about my homeboys, the Lakers, 2010 World Champions? Nothing better than watching the NBA - to each his own.

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 12:34 AM

I thought you were a diehard Kings fan wink

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 02:25 AM

First of all this post is about the world cup not the NBA so please if you want a lakers post make it elsewhere. I am sorry if that is too complicated for a lakers fan. He He He. Just joking.

Who cares what anyone calls it. Who cares who watches it. Who cares if someone likes it or not. Who cares what the US or Canada or anyone thinks about it. If you don't like it then [#%!] Off.

I enjoy the world cup because it is a sport where you can route for your country (the only time other than the Olympics and war).

In regards to who will win the world cup and the odds of the Americans winning or loosing I think most of you should simply sit back and watch the games. The US has a great shot at moving forward with some matches they should win. What we have found over the course of this world cup is that not everything is going as it should.

God be with you all because I will be at Home watching the game on Saturday! The only game that matters.

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 02:35 AM

Hey Traveling man, what you just said. grin

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 05:00 AM

Go back to sleep Ernie--we will wake you when something happens--in the last game I waited 91 minutes for something to happen and as usual I was predisposed---GO UUUUSSSSAAA--I here a B flat horn blowing somewhere--I am gonna take that thing and shove it u...----you get the picture

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 05:06 AM

:)Traveling has a sense of humor, okay enough of the Lakers (but what a great series LOL). Go USA in the World Cup!
Posted By: Seachange

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 02:57 PM

When and where is best time and place to watch USA game on AC today?
Posted By: CaptOneIron

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 02:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGdf59xlXsA

Really, you must watch this if you are English or German or especially if you are French.

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 03:54 PM

Seachange
The USA game is tomorrow...Cholos is always good fun to watch a game
Posted By: Seachange

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 05:25 PM

Thanks so much....like many USA citizens, I need to get up to speed with football! Traveling tomorrow, but will be cheering anyway!
Posted By: Northern Canuck

Re: World Cup - 06/25/10 06:21 PM

Too funny COI... Last line is perfect!

Re: World Cup - 06/26/10 08:48 PM

Well done USA now 1-1.

Re: World Cup - 06/26/10 10:03 PM

poopage time

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 05:56 AM

Well USA did well and played some decent football but was not enough and Ghana go throug to play Uruguay in the Quarter finals

Its England time now and lets hope we bring our game this time and repeat the result of our last meeting with the Germans.

I wish I could be more confident but nothing really indicates we can beat the germans I really hope I am wrong.

Hope everyone is safe an bunkered down.

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 04:40 PM

you are oh too right bro. looking grim for the brits... worst ref call of the cup (so far) in the first half

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 05:18 PM

Nice guys put forth a great effort, but way too slow afoot to be considered great athletes. The NFL skill position players are so much bigger and stronger, yet still speedier than these World Cup players. Both USA and England lost to faster teams. So with 4 more Super Bowls before the next chance at the cup, its still soccer.
Posted By: Eskimo

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 05:19 PM

England was no match for the Germans today. Even if the second British goal had counted, it still wouldn't have been enough. You can't blame the assistant referee for not calling the second goal. He was in the correct position upfield. FIFA should either use video replay or have another official on the touch line to ensure correct calls.

Ollie

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 05:25 PM

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/380183/Re_World_Cup.html#Post380183 ...yet again prescient :-/

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 07:13 PM

Actually, to Eskimo, give me one good reason why any football supporter, particularly an England one like me, can not blame the linesman (Assistant Ref in modern speak!!), it IS his job to keep up with play, and he was further forward than the camera which showed it clear as day....

But FOOTBALL is a game of human error, but that does not stop the blame. Not the first error by an official, and probably not the last, but there we go, part of the beautiful game.... Unfortunately...

And the equaliser that should have been could have totally changed the game, There is such a psychological aspect to this game.

And to Amir, your eyes must be brown because you are so full of..... NFL, athletes, give me a beak. Five to ten seconds of activity beteween the three minutes of nothing, and then they have to go on oxygen, and you think they are athletes?????? I think I will ignore everything you write from here on.....

To Germany, well done, hats off. And good luck from here on...

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 07:29 PM

To grant3wishes. Were I in your position I would feel hard done by as well but the assistant was in the correct position. Inline with the last defender or the ball whichever is closest to the touchline. From where he had to be, it would be near impossible to see where the ball landed. I wasn't sure at the time and we had a much better view than he would have had. It wasn't until I saw the replay down the touchline that I was sure it was in.

Thanks for your best wishes. Germany will need it should Argentina beat Mexico next.

Better go watch that game now.

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 11:12 PM

I agree with your suggestion that a video replay or sensor system as used in other sports is urgently needed to make the game fair. One goal which decided the outcome of the game was ruled out by prejudice as much as incompetence

Re: World Cup - 06/27/10 11:34 PM

I think the bad call at the start of the ENG/GRM game put a mindset on the ENG team that the can't win no matter what they do.
A bad call changes everything,all the players have a bad taste in their mouths about the game, win or lose.
At least put a device like they have in hockey to see if the ball crosses the plane. That ain't hard. But on the other hand when you only get 2 commercials in 90 minutes to pay the bills the budget may not allow it. That is why you rarely see soccer football on a network--gotta have those timeouts to sell beer and pickup trucks.

Re: World Cup - 06/28/10 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Amir
It was reported that the referee who ruled out the goal has been thoroughly examined and the nazi membership card found in his wallet states the correct height, weight,20-20 eyesight....

Oh Good! A racist troll. Begone foul beast.

Re: World Cup - 06/28/10 03:21 AM

The real answer to all this is to eliminate the offside rule. I know you purists will say it is absolutely integral to the game but it would certainly make the game more interesting and free up the linesmen to pay attention to the elements of the game that do actually make a difference.

Re: World Cup - 06/28/10 07:52 AM

Even a guys with a white stick could of seen the ball was way over the line and yes decisions like that can change the game however the plain truth is the Germans were better on the night and we had such huge gaps in the back and we paid for it.

It was the best England played all tourmament after we were 2-0 down till half time but just not good enough.

Guess moneys got to be on the Argies now but I hope Im wrong

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 06/28/10 04:24 PM

headline in the UK Daily Mail today: "If the Few had defended as badly as England, we'd all be speaking German now."

Osama bin Laden has just released a new TV message to prove he is still
alive. He said that the England Team performance on Saturday was completely shit. British intelligence have dismissed the claim, stating that the
message could have been recorded anytime in the last 44 years.

The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope," said Jamal, aged 6.

Re: World Cup - 07/02/10 01:39 AM

Lauriemar --------this one is for you

[Linked Image]

Re: World Cup - 07/02/10 05:04 PM

how about the Dutch!!! taking out Brazil...

Re: World Cup - 07/02/10 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Marty
headline in the UK Daily Mail today: "If the Few had defended as badly as England, we'd all be speaking German now."

Osama bin Laden has just released a new TV message to prove he is still
alive. He said that the England Team performance on Saturday was completely shit. British intelligence have dismissed the claim, stating that the
message could have been recorded anytime in the last 44 years.

The England team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope," said Jamal, aged 6.

I love it.

Re: World Cup - 07/02/10 10:55 PM

Sometimes justice just is not done. Poor Ghana. They had the better of the play against a side far superior on paper. And had a stone cold penalty in extra time. Butfailure to convert penalties cost them the game both in extra time and then again in the shoot out.
In Suarez and Forlan, Ghana were up against the two top scorers in Europe this past season. It was a creditable performance and most neutrals will I think feel justice was not done.
Brazil on the other hand just could not keep their game together and allowed themselves to be hustled out of the game by Robben and in the second half, Snyder. I think neutrals will feel thatin this game, justice was done and underdogs Holland deserved to go through.
Two thoroughly entertaining games. lets hope tomorrows are the same.

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 12:00 AM

Chris
I thought we had given up discussing the World Cup since England went out!!
2 really good games today. I think we will be in for a classic tomorrow with Argentina/Germany..my money is on the Argies

Its going to hurt tonight at BCs Trivia by paying Carlo his 50 BZ for our England/Germany World Cup Bet.

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 01:03 AM

You didn't bet on England surely? thats taking support too far.
Trying to "buy " a win huh?
'Er indoors has informed me we are going to Brazil in 2014. what for ? I asked, crying into my beer. Will they even let us back into the World Cup after this? oh well the fishing is good down there i hear.
Swanno I am sure you know by now that classics on paper are rarely classics on the field. Too much at stake.
Personally I want them both to lose. Germany because... well lots of reasons us Brits understand, plus I want to see Beckenbauer eat his words. Argentina because their manager is someone "I do not hold in high regard" (again its a Brit. thing n'est pas?)
But I expect Spain to come through tomorrow.
The trophy itself is Hollands to lose. They have sneaked up to public attention very quietly. Robben and Snyder may turn out to be the key players of WC 2010, leaving Rooney and Ronaldo already bystanders, with Torres likely to join them as failures on a world stage, and Messi surprisingly also possibly in that group.
On another note, what is Crouchie going to say back at the Lane?
at least Defoe and King both had their chances. There's a lot of players going to have a hard time in the coming months in the premiership.

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 01:30 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 01:34 AM

Thx klc, that's what I'm talking about! smile
Posted By: hollandboy

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 04:36 AM

Holland all the way! How about Holland-Germany as a final?

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 06:59 AM

Where I am I was the lone ranger betting on Holland to beat Brasil and wont a ton LOL

Sames gonna happen for the Germany Argie game Germany win 1-0

OK got the score wrong but the result was there.

and I bet on Holland to win the LOT

HUP HUP Holland

Spain should walk over Paraguay i think

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 05:34 PM

Assumming Spain win this afternoon they will test the German defense and show it to be a weakness and go on to win the final. The German keeper and central defense is brittle, has shown signs of cracking and will do so if the Spanish get their attack right. If Torres starts today he will need to sparkle or get dropped versus the Krauts. The Dutch will lose their bottle as usual, perhaps even in the semi final.

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 05:36 PM

Oh yeah and England World Cup Winners 2014 in Brazil and er indoors also wants to go.

Re: World Cup - 07/03/10 11:41 PM

Hope somebody wins by 3 or 4 so we don't have to worry about disputed goals.

Re: World Cup - 07/04/10 01:06 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 07/04/10 11:47 PM

Assumming Spain win this afternoon they will test the German defense and show it to be a weakness and go on to win the final. The German keeper and central defense is brittle, has shown signs of cracking and will do so if the Spanish get their attack right. If Torres starts today he will need to sparkle or get dropped versus the Krauts. The Dutch will lose their bottle as usual, perhaps even in the semi final.

Just so I understand. You're saying that Germany's defense and keeper are weak and that Spain will win even though Germany has scored 13 and given up only 2 and Spain has scored a woeful 6 goals in 5 games.
Spain was fortunate to advance past Paraguay and don't have the offence to score more than one goal against the Mannschaft. laugh Germany will shred Spain to ribbons with their passing.

Ollie

Re: World Cup - 07/04/10 11:48 PM

Oh yeah and England World Cup Winners 2014 in Brazil and er indoors also wants to go.

If they qualify.

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 12:38 AM

I hear England under 17's is the best side we have, so we may win in 2014 if they qualify.

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 01:07 AM

Yawnnnn

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eskimo

Just so I understand. You're saying that Germany's defense and keeper are weak and that Spain will win even though Germany has scored 13 and given up only 2 and Spain has scored a woeful 6 goals in 5 games.
Spain was fortunate to advance past Paraguay and don't have the offence to score more than one goal against the Mannschaft. laugh Germany will shred Spain to ribbons with their passing.

Ollie

I gotta agree with Ollie Spain certainly did not look anything like World Champions and the Germans while I hate to say it looks pretty lethal and would be hard pressed to bet against them.

I still gotta stick with Holland though due to familly connections smile

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 03:43 PM

Time will tell. One thing is for sure...........Ernie will be well rested.

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 03:44 PM

Ollie

How many Belikins?
Posted By: Chris

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 04:50 PM

A few World Cup observations:

1. The standard of football is lower than one sees at club level in the best leagues (Serie A, La Liga, Premiership, Bundesliga). Proof of this can be seen in the Germany strikers Klose and Podolski....3 goals between them in the Bundesliga all last season, Klose alone has 4 in this World Cup in just 5 games.

2. Thierry Henry was vilified by everyone for his deliberate handball against Ireland. Maradona was vilified by many after his deliberate "hand of God" handball against England in '86. And yet...in this World Cup the Germany goalie admitted "deceiving the officials" by acting as though Lampard's goal "wasn't". How is that any less a form of cheating?

3. Guy with most egg on face due to the World Cup has to be Sepp Blatter....was against goal line replays prior to the tournament and now forced to do a 180 degree turn. Fat useless git.

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 05:37 PM

very interesting. having played goalie for many many years, i must add that most goalies make that move by instinct (Re: Lampards goal #2 above)

undoubtedly true on #1. these guys don't play together enough.

huge laugh on your Ernie observation Phil...

Re: World Cup - 07/05/10 08:05 PM

How many Belikins?

6 ice cold Belikin Stout. Any more than that and I get dizzy. blush I won't be able to collect until December though.

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 04:37 PM

To my three ice cold regulars - I assume youre giving 2:1 as Germany are so superior.

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 04:44 PM

Blatter is a fool, not trying to improve football just his legacy. Diving, crappy balls, lack of goal line technology, injured players having to leave the pitch after treatment, Diving, the lost art of tackling as their all becoming pansies these days, players flashing the imaginary card, not being allowed to breath on the goalkeeper who has the advantage of using his arms (unless you're Henry, Maradona or Suazo and a cheat), simulation and DIVING all need to be eradicated. Stop messing with the ball the offside rule substitutes and sort out the fundamentals. ie quit ffs.

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 04:49 PM

Does "the pitch" have anything to do with horse shoes or washers ? How much longer does this grief go on ?

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 04:53 PM

futbol is forever Ernie, sorry.

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 05:18 PM

Championship game is on July 11th and qualifying rounds for 2014 start a week later! laugh laugh laugh

Ollie

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 05:21 PM

Phil,

So when Germany wins I get 6 cold Belikin Stout and if Spain gets lucky you get 3 ice cold regulars? Gotta like those odds.:)

Ollie

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 05:21 PM

Oh, For Joy !

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 05:53 PM

ernest, contain thyself. :>

Re: World Cup - 07/06/10 06:57 PM

Ernie wake up 30 minute to kick off

COME ON HOLLAND HUP HUP

Well Played Holland

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 06:28 PM

Phil,

So when Germany wins I get 6 cold Belikin Stout and if Spain gets lucky you get 3 ice cold regulars? Gotta like those odds.:)

Ollie

Yea, I cocked that up didn't I..............

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 07:32 PM

I see Pedro is playing for Spain so Germany will win.

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 09:22 PM

Did not see that one well done Spain 1-0.

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 09:30 PM

YES!!! Well done Spain!

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 09:50 PM

AH, crap!

Re: World Cup - 07/07/10 09:51 PM

Cocked up or not, I think we should get together and drink a few ice colds come December!

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 04:40 PM

Especially as you owe me three ice cold ones!!!!!!

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 04:56 PM

Did some one say "cold ones" ?

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 04:58 PM

No. go back to bed. You can't just cherry pick the bits you like. Second thought. Describe the offside rule and it's merits and you can come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 05:03 PM

I used the 'outside' rule to go get a pack of 'Merits' but picked up a 6 pak instead. Now can I come ?

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 05:06 PM

Get your specs. O F F S I D E.

Are merits a condom brand? ( It's OK he won't be able to read that bit).

Re: World Cup - 07/08/10 08:01 PM

I can so read it (squintin) but what happened to the beer ?

Guess I'll just take a nap zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: World Cup - 07/09/10 12:07 AM

Ernie, offside is when your Belikin strays out of the zone in front of your barstool. At least that was always the way I understood it..........
Have you ever got a red card for it?

Re: World Cup - 07/09/10 01:41 AM

Especially as you owe me three ice cold ones!!!!!!

Alright, alright! It seemed like such a good wager at the time. How come I always lose on sure things?

I'll look you up in December when I get back there Phil. smile

Re: World Cup - 07/09/10 02:13 AM

PB, No red cards but, I have a Gold Card, a Platinum card and a green card. But I still cant come to the party.............. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Re: World Cup - 07/09/10 02:52 AM

ESPN preempts WC coverage with Lebron!!! ( and he isn't even a Laker)

Re: World Cup - 07/09/10 03:10 AM

You didn't listen to the octopus.

Re: World Cup - 07/10/10 03:14 PM

Commentary: How Belize and the other Caribbean countries can win the World Cup

By Wellington C. Ramos

The most played sport throughout all the countries in the world is football, which for some strange reason the Americans choose to call soccer. I have been playing this game from the time I was a child growing up in Dangriga Town, Belize, along with some national stars such as Garincha Adderly, Buck Palacio, Nolly Moss, Pine, Wallet, Naday, Ray Moss, Anthony Moss, Nelson Moss, Henry Moss, Orin Orio Coco, Camal, Jonnie Cool, Henry Martinez, Lepaul Martinez, Pinnacles, Brazilian and many others who grew up in our neighborhood in the Logan Field area. Not only did we play this sport but we were also addicted to it until we were called “Ball Perrs”.

We became good football players without much family and community support, no sponsorship, inadequate playing facilities and no equipment. In many parts of Belize and the Caribbean region most of the players who played this sport and those who continue to play it are experiencing the same thing. For Belize and the other countries to win a World Cup tournament, the countries of the Caribbean must have a long term plan in place, beginning now. The children in these countries should be trained from young how to play football and other sports. The governments should ensure that professional coaches, equipments, clubs, leagues, sponsorships and facilities are available for these children to play the sports.

Once these things are in place, the children will have something to look forward to because they know that if they work hard and excel in their sport they will eventually become a professional in the sport they choose to play. In Belize we need to resurrect primary school, high school, college and inter-district leagues. The Ministry of Sports can establish a director for each sport to go through the entire country and make sure that there are representatives in each district for all the sports. A site should be designated as the national sports training center where all Belizeans who are selected to play for the national team will live, camp and receive training before he or she is sent to represent Belize as a national sportsman in the sport they play.

I am of the opinion that there should be a national football league for amateurs that is managed by the government of Belize and a professional league managed by businesspeople. When businesspeople invest their funds into something, they will be looking forward to see positive results and, if they are not satisfied with the results they are getting, they will get out of the business. It will also increase the competition among the other team clubs. Once we have a professional league the players must have a union to represent their interest.

The government of Belize should formulate laws as to how these leagues are going to be operated and all the intricacies of the various sports. Currently, Belize has two football leagues that seem to be fighting among themselves for a long time now. The government has been standing in the middle as the referee afraid to blow the whistle to end this game. While this nonsense has been taking place, the quality of football that Belize has been playing over the years has dropped tremendously and the beat goes on with no hope of becoming competitive in the world of football. Most former Belizean football players and current ones are tired of this and want this drama to end now.

If the government of Belize does not step in now, football and many other sports in Belize will remain mediocre for a long time. I am convinced that the teams Belize selected over the years did not include the best players that Belize has. The method in which most of the players have been selected was based on favoritism. I went to the Alliance Stadium in Houston two years ago to watch the Belize national team play against Mexico and I was not impressed. When football was being played in the 1970s, with teams such as Chitos Eleven, Berger 404, White Label, Charger, Landivar, Police Invaders, Bellprint, etc., the quality of football was far better than it is today. Plus, inter-district competition attracted more attention and excitement than current day professional league games.

I now call on the new Minister of Sports, Honorable John Saldivar, and the former football players in Belize and abroad, to read this article and summon a meeting with all the football league representatives to embark on a new course to revive football in Belize. To the point, where our country will become competitive and be looked upon by other countries in the world as a nation to be reckoned with when it comes to playing football with the other countries in the world.

I watched most of the games in this year’s World Cup and throughout these games I kept wondering what must my country of Belize do to be there in the next World Cup 2014. I like to see the determination the Spanish and the Dutch bring to this World Cup and they both must be commended for playing out their hearts for their country. Pretty soon this will all come to and end with Spain taking this title for the first time in their nation’s history.

Re: World Cup - 07/10/10 06:41 PM

Marty, I could not agree more with what you have said.
it is a national shame that there is no proper international football. I agree that the minister should gather the various organisers of leagues together and insist on a single entity. This will lead to temporary expulsion from FIFA possibly, but once the government has done its job of unifying the separate groups and leagues, it can withdraw and let them run football as happens everywhere else.
The importance of international sport cannot be overemphasized. To support Belize catches public attention, and some success is a morale boost for us all. Just look at the current basketball tournament. if basketball can do it, so can football.
This enthusiasm and popularity spreads down to the children of this country some of whom already play football. that should be encouraged, and the dream of scoring the winning goal for your country is one hell of an encouragement.
Look at Brazil. every street kid kicks a ball around, and every now and then a new star emerges. There is no reason that could not happen here. I wish your campaign the very best of luck.
PS i think it will be Holland smiling tomorrow night.

Re: World Cup - 07/10/10 06:49 PM

Starting point. Kick out Bertie Chimillio - Hard.

Re: World Cup - 07/10/10 06:49 PM

Sorry Chris - Spain at a canter.

Re: World Cup - 07/11/10 10:40 PM

VIVA ESPANA!

Re: World Cup - 07/11/10 11:02 PM

OK Phil. Spain it is. but surely you will not claim "at a canter?"
A poor game where both sides tried to smother the other. The Dutch were lucky to end with ten men. there were at least two other second yellows including that unbelievably high kick on the chest by, was it Sneidjer?
Whose your man of the tournament? I take Forlan.
How amazing is the list of fallen stars. Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres,Fabregas Kaka, Messi (borderline) and even Villa did not look much today. What happened to make all these big stars fail?
Is it that they were carrying injuries?
i don't see how you can claim to be a world star and fail in the World Cup. Perhaps it will cut some of these guys (and their alleged transfer values) down to size.
Thoughts?

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 01:47 AM

Should have listened to the octopus.

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 02:10 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Is it finally over ?
Posted By: tortuga.chica

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 02:19 PM

All this time, I thought golf was the most boring sport...soccer comes in at a very close 2nd.

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 02:59 PM

Anyone complaining about viewing choices or activities should be told. "Go watch soccer."

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 03:27 PM

Yeah, that'll do it, zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted By: Hon

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 03:49 PM

Sorry if you think soccer sucks. But nobody cares what you think. (that's a link btw) smile
Posted By: bobcat bill

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 03:54 PM

wait til the World Cup of Horseshoe Pitching comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 03:55 PM

Hmmmm lets look at the numbers as you 3 are in a severe minority

Number who watched the Superbowl (to me boring as hell)

93.2 Million

Numbers that watched the NBA finals (really boring game)

28.2 million

Total who watched the World series (actually the American series)

56 Million

Number of people who watched the World Cup Final

700 Million

Total number of people who watched the world cup Games

36 BILLION

Yes I know the worlds pop is only 6-7 Bil but the estimate was each person watched an average of 5 world cup games which I think is low as I am most of my mates watched at least 95% of the games.

I think those numbers say it all grin

Gaz

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:01 PM

Gaz, please do not attempt to confuse me with facts.

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:06 PM

wait til The World Series of Tiddelleewinks comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:10 PM

lol, for my Sunday viewing pleasure, I much preferred watching Jimmy Buffet's live concert from Gulf Shores. What a show! smile

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:17 PM

An ass for every saddle....

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:21 PM

wait til the World Series of Pancake Flipping comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:30 PM

No not at a canter and yes too many failed stars. All of the players in contention for the Golden Boot and ball were not A listers. Too much pressure, too much football perhaps too much money?

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 04:53 PM

wait til the World Series of Hog Calling comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 05:22 PM

Well thank you very much jesse and a good morning to you as well. Geez, an ass, what a pleasant thing to say

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 05:25 PM

Its a very old saying and not meant to be an insult...just funny...
Used when people are haranguing over personal choices

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 05:32 PM

wait til the World Series of Verbal Mudslinging comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 05:37 PM

Since I am not very old, never heard of it..lol bcb

Re: World Cup - 07/12/10 05:41 PM

wait til the World Series of Cheek Checking comes on

Re: World Cup - 07/13/10 01:57 AM

No more World Cup, no more octopus oracle.

Paul, the octopus who became a pop culture sensation by correctly predicting the outcome of as many World Cup matches as he has legs -- all seven of Germany's games plus the Spain-Netherlands final -- is going to retire.

The intuitive invertebrate will "step back from the official oracle business," Tanja Munzig, a spokeswoman for the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen, told AP Television News.

"He won't give any more oracle predictions -- either in football, nor in politics, lifestyle or economy," she said. "Paul will get back to his former job, namely making children laugh."

After going a perfect 8 for 8 in World Cup picks, Paul the Octopus is retiring on top of his game.

Posted By: reaper

Re: World Cup - 07/13/10 03:04 AM

Goldman Sachs hired him to pick stocks.

Re: World Cup - 07/13/10 03:52 AM

I was taking him/her to Vegas.
Posted By: Short

Re: World Cup - 07/13/10 04:40 AM

Hmmmm, Pulpo a la Romana...

Originally Posted by jesse
VIVA ESPANA!
Thank God you were not around yet on September 10, 1898 Jesse, or we would all be speaking Spanish now in Belize.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board