AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Belize Underwater Reef Experience

Best of Scuba Diving Belize

Highlights of scuba diving Belize from the Aggressor Fleet's Sun Dancer II (now the Aggressor Belize IV). 27 dives on Lighthouse Reef, Turneffe Atol, Half moon Caye and other dive sites.

Belize 2018 Highlights from Brylan Achilles on Vimeo.

Diving the Canyons, San Pedro

Featuring Open Water Diver Certification dives and the Lionfish Divas. With the most awesome dive team Island Divers Belize!

Marine life highlights: Diving The Aquarium Belize

Scuba diving a swim through tunnel at Punta Arena Canyons Belize

Scuba diving in Belize with Chuck and Robbie's acting as the dive operator. Giovanni, in the baseball cap, was out dive master. He took us through a tunnel on our descent down to our max depth at 100 feet.

More about Punta Arena Canyons

Also known as Small Cut, the Punta Arena Canyons are famous for their tunnels, which are covered in brilliant red algae growth. The reef begins sixty feet beneath the surface here, and is covered in splendid gorgonians, some of which are very large. Stands of elkhorn and staghorn coral, swirling heads of lettuce coral, and beautiful specimens of brain and star coral can be found, all with small crabs, shrimp, fairy basslets and wrasse in attendance.

As you make your way through these magnificent canyons with their vertical walls, you'll find the most popular swim through of all, which has a triangular opening. Approximately seventy feet long, it exits at a depth of 100 feet, and inside, you can experience complete darkness if you turn out your light for a moment. You can come back through the tunnel if you like, or you can make your way back up to the reef top along the wall, which is covered in soft corals, sea fans, and sponges. Along the way, watch for Nassau groupers and pompano, spadefish, jacks, and some large pairs of angelfish.

VIDEO: Diving Mosquito Canyon, San Pedro

Open water dive candidates and Lionfish Divas on the hunt.

VIDEO: Exploring Canyons, San Pedro

Featuring Guest Divers with Island Divers Team

VIDEO: Diving Belize, Cypress Canyon, San Pedro

Local Dive 10 minutes from the dock.

VIDEO: Shark Dive at Tuffy

Featuring guest divers Tamara and Scott with Island Divers Team. Guest divers are advised to "not" touch or handle the sharks unless under the guidance of the divemaster. You can help with our efforts to create awareness of reef conservation and preservation.

VIDEO: Diving With Spotted Eagle Rays

Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIDEOS: Scuba Diving off San Pedro, Ambergris Caye - 10/13/12 02:32 PM
No one, dive masters included, should touch the sharks. Hands (and fins!) need to be kept away from wildlife and corals.
Noone will argue that its OK to touch the marine life or corals while diving or snorkeling the reef. Any trained guide knows not to do this for a number of really good reasons.
When asked why they do it, San Pedro Tour Guides will answer its to entertain the tourist and entertaining the tourist gets more tips.
That tells me the most powerful influence can be an educated public that shames the Tour Guide and doesn't reinforce the negative behavior with tips.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIDEOS: Scuba Diving off San Pedro, Ambergris Caye - 10/13/12 03:27 PM
Not reinforcing negative behavior includes not posting videos of said behavior or, at the very least, providing a disclaimer that the practice is wrong and not condoned.
Obviously, Island Divers endorses the practice and concerned divers should go to other providers for their tours.
You and I have just done that, however Island Divers is no different in this respect than any other dive operation on the island, including mine and a more effective approach IMHO is to educate the tourist (we're doing that right here)and discourage tipping the Guides.
As for posting the video, well it just afforded us the opportunity to speak out, didn't it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: VIDEOS: Scuba Diving off San Pedro, Ambergris Caye - 10/14/12 04:48 PM
AGREED!

Diving Belize- Victoria Canyons, San Pedro

Mischa and Maria helping Island Divers Team create awareness of reef conservation.

Diving Tackle Box Canyon with Mischa and Maria

Creating awareness of reef conservation here on the Bleize Barrier Reef, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize

VIDEO: Lionfish Team Hunt, San Pedro Ambergris Caye

Local Dive with Lionfish Diva Candidate Maria Steurer and team participant Mischa on the Belize Barrier Reef.

VIDEO: Diving with Turtles, Belize Barrier Reef

Dive Site, Boco Del Rio San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Come dive with us!

VIDEO: Awesome Spotted Eagle Ray with Rudy Duran, Island Divers,San Pedro

Local Dive,five minutes from the dock. Come join us on a dive. Island Divers, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.

VIDEO: Lionfish Hunt ,Sponsored Dive, Ambergris Caye, Belize

A typical LionFish Hunt, diving thee canyons along the outside of the Belize Barrier Reef.

Canyonlands - The San Pedro Barrier Reef from The Inner Space on Vimeo.

VIDEO: Canyonlands - The San Pedro Barrier Reef

The Belize Barrier Reef off Ambergris Caye is characterized by fascinating spur-and-groove canyon formations, home to numerous species of marine life. This video is part of the "Colors of the Caribbean" DVD, shot and edited in Belize 2006

Lionfish Hunt ,Sponsored Dive, Ambergris Caye, Belize

A typical LionFish Hunt, diving thee canyons along the outside of the Belize Barrier Reef.

VIDEO: Diving Belize, A Sponsored Dive, "Treasure Canyons"

Featuring our island guest divers Cody and Andrea Stilwell. Thanks for making Belize your vacation destination.

I'm curious, have the poisonous spines been removed before the nurse shark gobbles down the lionfish, or are they immune somehow?

VIDEO: Wicked Jelly Fish, Bait Ball and Swim Through Tunnels

Local Diving, Never a dull moment! Ambergris Caye Belize

VIDEO: Dolphins and Massive Lionfish at Mexico Rocks

Headed north this morning, trying out new cam and filter thanks to Scott and Tamara Husted for your support in our efforts to create awareness of reef conservation and preservation here in Belize.

VIDEO: Local Diving, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Great Turtle clips, Spotted Eagle Rays and our curious nurse Sharks. Featured Guest Diver, Sara Brown.

Video: Snorkeling Ambergris Caye

Ambergris Caye snorkeling offers exceptionally good visibility and a wide range of marine life encounters. While snorkeling Ambergris Caye, you may observe green sea turtles, nurse sharks, southern stingrays, spotted eagle rays, moray eels and typical reef fish.

The Aquarium, Amigos Del Mar "Diving Belize"

Dive Three of Blue Hole Day Trip. Join our guest Mark, Natasha and Matthew as we dive The Aquarium.

Freediving Belize Barrier Reef 2016

This is the freediving, snorkeling portion of our trip to Belize in 2016. I ran out of juice before we chased manatees, but didn't get to see them anyhow. The footage shows various areas of the Belize Barrier Reef, and shore diving in places we'd stay. Lots of life in these waters!

VIDEO: Amigos Surface Interval at Half Moon Caye

Two dives completed, Blue Hole and Half Moon Wall at Lighthouse Reef. Time for a break! Join us for world class diving.

Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System (UNESCO/TBS)

The coastal area of Belize is an outstanding natural system consisting of the largest barrier reef in the northern hemisphere, offshore atolls, several hundred sand cays, mangrove forests, coastal lagoons and estuaries. The system's seven sites illustrate the evolutionary history of reef development and are a significant habitat for threatened species, including marine turtles, manatees and the American marine crocodile.

PADI Open Water certification dives Belize April 2014

Dives off Ambergris Caye, Belize, with Belize Pro Dive Center. First dive is outside the reef, second dive is at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, last bit of video is at Shark Alley.Video mostly shot by by Ben, age 11.

Gray Caribbean Reef Shark

Gray Caribbean Reef Shark in Belize at Sandy Point off Ambergris Caye

Snorkeling with Nurse Sharks & Stingrays

Belize Barrier Reef- April 2016

Video from mine and Fritz's 9 dives in the Belize Barrier Reef, including the Blue Hole. Enjoy!

Giant Loggerhead, Spotted Eagle Rays

Another day of local diving, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Surface Interval and The Aquarium

After lunch at Half Moon Caye we start our third dive of our Blue Hole Day Trip from San Pedro,, next stop, The Aquarium. Awesome schools of fish big Tarpon and more!

Holiday Diving Belize, Christmas 2012

Join Guest Divers Sabrina, Ryan, Austin and Carmen as they dive Hol Chan Marine Reserve and snorkel Shark Ray Alley while celebrating family Christmas in Belize.

VIDEO: Sharks Battle Diver For Lionfish, Local Diving Belize

Featuring Guest Diver Malik Brooks. Thanks for helping create awareness of reef conservation and preservation here in Belize. In this episode diver wins after making to the surface with Lionfish after repeated attacks from sharks of which they enjoy eating Lionfish from our spears

PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy, Advanced Open Water Course

Check it out at our open water classroom on The Belize Barrier Reef. Want to get PADI Certified? For more info send us an email with your request. The diving here is UnBelize-able! Let's Go!

Spotted Eagle Rays at Hol Chan Canyons

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151400920769525
This is one of the Juan Carlos clips from our to trip the Hol Chan Canyons. He's getting good at these little videos. The Eagle Rays eat conch and in the marine reserve there is no conch fishing so we have more conch than other places on the island and consequently more Eagle Rays.
I tell the guys it's like Divemasters and cold beer, ya don't have cold beer the Divemasters don't hang around!

VIDEO: Scuba Diving Hol Chan Canyon

Diving with our island guest Josh and Teryl Anderson from Edgar, Nebraska. Thanks for supporting our efforts to create awareness of reef conservation in Belize. Come back and see us, we have many more dive sites for you to explore.

VIDEO: Diving The Belize Barrier Reef, Eagle Ray Canyon

Join Josh and Teryl as we explore Eagle Ray Canyon at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Many thanks to Josh and Teryl for helping us create awareness of reef conservation in Belize.

VIDEO: Snorkeling Hol Chan Reserve Ambergris Caye Belize

Feb 2013 Windy and choppy day snorkeling in Belize Music by: Wookiefoot

Southern Ray

This big gal swam right by me. The posterior humps show that she was pregnant.

VIDEO: Staghorn coral

From the back reef lagoon of 2nd Cut, Belize Barrier Reef.

Scuba Diving Compilation from Honduras & Belize

I went backpacking and scuba diving through Central America and made extended stops in Utila, Honduras and Caye Caulker, Belize. This video is a compilation of some of my diving trips. Filmed on a GoPro Hero 2 with the dive housing. It could have used the red filter, but it still came out pretty good.

2nd cut reef crest wave action

Waves crashing over the reef crest at 2nd Cut, Belize Barrier Reef. This wasn't even that rough of a day on the water! Lots of fire coral on the crest - need to really time your hops or you'll get blown back over it!

Diving Dardenellos Canyon, Ambergris Caye

Scuba Diving Belize with Trip, Janine and Don from Colorado. Lots of marine life encounters captured on film this week. Thanks for choosing Belize as your dive vacation destination. Belize Pro Dive Center, Ambergris Caye

Diving Hol Chan Marine Reserve 2013 with Manatee

Marine life was extreme today with a family of manatee passing through the reserve as tropical depression enters the region.

Corals Canyon, The Belize Barrier Reef 2013

Diving outside the reef as Tropical Depression enters. San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize

Eagle Ray Canyon, Hol Chan Marine Reserve

We pass through Hol Chan Channel to reach outside the reef as tropical depression enters our region, conditions starting to effect visibility dive 6 of 7,

Scuba Diving Toffey Canyon, Ambergris Caye 2013

Lots of marine life, local diving, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye with guest divers Trip, Janine and Don from Colorado. Thanks for choosing Belize as you dive vacation destination,

Diving Cypress Canyon, Ambergris Caye Belize

Swim through was awesome, the Hawksbill Turtle feeding...a great dive with Trip, Janine and Don from Colorado

Diving Tackle Box Canyon, Ambergris Caye

Join Guest Divers; Trip, Janine and Don as we explore Tackle Box Canyon with Belize Pro Dive Center, San Pedro Ambergris Caye.

Go Diving in Belize (Video)

Diving in Belize is unprecedented. It is one of the top activities in Belize, which is known as a top scuba diving and snorkeling destination in Central America, and for good reason.

Belize is home to the Belize Barrier Reef, second only to Australia's Great Barrier Reef, as well as offering divers three open-ocean atolls, not to mention the famous Blue Hole.

Like to dive? Then the following video will make you want to pack your bags and head off to Belize for your next diving adventure.

Seven dives, in three amazing days, in the one and only beautiful Caribbean! All dives were through the highly recommended dive shop of Belize Diving Services. Thanks for everything! We dove The Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, Aquarium, Mini Elbow, Black Coral Wall, Sand Trap, and Rock Beauty. With over four hours of dive footage it was challenging to put together a four minute dive video but I hope you like it. I will produce a second video with additional footage here soon. Cheers!

Took Michael, Christian and Faith diving today up at Basil Jones- Had a blast! Of course we had the trusty Gopro:) - at Tranquility.

VIDEO: Snorkeling Belize

Snorkeling in Belize offers encounters with diverse marine life in waters with good clarity. While snorkeling off Belize, you may encounter dolphin, turtles, stingrays, eels, sharks and other reef fish common to the Caribbean.

Snorkeling Shark-Ray Alley, Belize

Snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley off Ambergris Caye offers the chance to snorkel with southern sting rays and nurse sharks. This is an old fishing boat cleaning spot and the marine life come alive anytime a boat anchors.

VIDEO: Scuba Diving & Snorkeling in Belize

Belize is considered to be some of the best diving and snorkeling in the world, so I was really excited to get to spend some time in the Caribbean there this past January. I brought along my GoPro and got some footage from the Great Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, and Aquarium dive sites as well as Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark Ray Alley and a few other random reefs while snorkeling.

Video Post: Snorkel Adventures in Belize

Special Video Blog: Exploring Southwater Caye Marine Reserve, Belize - an underwater adventure!

In this Video Post You Will Discover:

• Exotic & Dangerous Stingrays
  • Beautiful Coral
  • Invasive Lionfish
  • Delicate Mangroves
  • And Tons More!

If you've been following the blog, you'll know that last December I spent a week exploring Belize's southern barrier reef. We kayaked through Southwater Cayes Marine Reserve, stopping to snorkel at every opportunity. I'm pretty sure I spent more time beneath the water than above it - I so love snorkelling. And Belize offers some of the world's finest. Care to see for yourself?

I shot this video for Explore Magazine (my day job). Enable full-screen mode, sit back, relax and get ready to spend the next 4:46 in the warm, vibrant and impossibly vital waters of Belize:

Diving Belize with Belize Pro Dive Center Feb 4th - March 3rd

We've had a great week of diving, eagle rays, wrecks, sharks and more!

Diving Tackle Box, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Esmerelda, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Nurse sharks, morays and a little bit of chum.

2014 dive off of Ambergris Caye, Belize

Scuba diving Belize using Go Pro. Close-up with Eels, turtles, and sharks

)

Jim's Diving Movie Belize 2014

A selection of the best clips from a week in Belize with Chuck and Robbie's dive operation. They are, hands down, the best in the business. This video features Jim, Kristy, Dave and some of the Chuck and Robbie's crew: Big Sexy, George, Robbie, Bryan and Danny.

Wildlife featured are: Loggerhead Turtle, Reef Sharks, Octopus, Moray Eels, Nurse Sharks, Lobster, Crab, Barrel Sponges, Hawksbill Turtles, Green Turtle, Eagle Rays, Southern Stingrays and assorted fish.

This footage was filmed exclusively with a GoPro Hero 3.

)

Another great week of diving with Belize Pro Dive Center! March 3 - 10

We got highlights from another great week of diving...Night dives with octopus, deep dives with turtles oooohhh even a dolphin!! Enjoy!

Great scuba video�. good music too...

Mergulhos em Belize

Mergulhos excelentes! Visibilidade perfeita e muita vida! Grupo animado e super divertido! Organiza��o impec�vel! Se tiverem oportunidade, confiram. Carnaval 2014

Your Guide to Snorkeling near San Pedro, Belize

Ever dream of swimming with sharks without getting your leg bitten off? What about swimming throughout schools of fish and watching a sea turtle glide gracefully throughout the water? Does snorkeling with a sting ray tickle your fancy?! Care to swim alongside a manatee (!!!) anyone?

Well then, Belize is the place to be.

With a 185-mile barrier reef (only second in size to Australia's), the opportunity to see a vast array of sea life is pretty amazing. Pretty gosh-darn epic if you ask me. The options are basically endless when it comes to sticking your head below the surface.

All around the island of Ambergris Caye there is an abundance of sea life and colorful corals just waiting to be explored. The water is turquoise in color, and the best snorkel spots are easily accessible by both half or whole day tours. Diving is also an option, although requires a PADI license.

Ever since I was little, I put on my mask and fins and snorkeled every chance I got.  I've admired the fish in Cozumel, the Greek Islands, Hawaii, and numerous Caribbean islands.  I even taught my husband how to snorkel in the Dominican Republic.

But Belize took me by surprise.  It was a whole different experience.

1. Hol Chan Marine Reserve

Hol Chan Marine Reserve is arguably one of the most impressive snorkeling spots in the entire world- and for good reason.  Therefore, the fact that it is considered the most popular snorkel site in Belize makes perfect sense.

Being so incredibly close to the town of San Pedro, just about 4 miles south (a short 15 minute boat ride), makes it easily accessible for a half day trip.  It was so easy (and downright impressive), that I came back the next day for some more underwater fun.

Hol Chan can actually be divided into four main zones or habitats: the coral reef, grass beds, mangroves, and shark-ray alley.  Within these zones, over 160 species of fish exist, as well as roughly 40 species of coral, 5 sponges, 8 algaes, and 2 seagrasses.  Oh, and 3 species of sea turtles >> my absolute favorite.

Occasionally, sightings of tarpon, Hammerhead sharks, and West Indian Manatee's are reported.  Let me know if you are one of the lucky ones to swim alongside a Hammerhead Manatee.

2. Shark-Ray Alley

It's no coincidence that the Sharks and Rays hang around one particular section of the reef.  In the past, local fisherman would often clean their catch in this area, thereby attracting Nurse Sharks and Southern Sting Rays.  When they noticed this, the fisherman notified the dive shops in San Pedro, which quickly made "Shark-Ray Alley" an extremely popular dive and snorkel site.

With excellent visibility, you can almost always see all species of fish (including jacks, groupers, snappers, parrot fish, angel fish, barracuda), but the main attraction will definitely be nurse sharks and sting rays for sure.

As soon as your boat arrives to the site, you will notice dark shadows nearby.  Hello sharks and rays!  

Nurse sharks average four to six feet in length, while the rays have a "wing-span" of two to four feet.  With numerous boats in the area each and every day, these animals have a great tolerance for humans and seem to enjoy this interaction.  Many will even swim right up to snorkelers!  Although not harmful in any way, it is best to keep a safe distance and not touch the animals.

This is a must-stop for any snorkeler wishing for a unique underwater experience.

3. Mexico Rocks

Located off the far northern tip of Ambergris Caye in the Belizean Barrier Reef (just a 20 minute ride from San Pedro), Mexico Rocks is a popular snorkeling destination.

Here, you will have the chance to admire giant Brain Corals, as well as a large collection of Star, Elk Horn Coral, and Staghorn Coral, with juvenile fish scurrying about.  Colorful sea fans, azure vase sponges, and butterfly fish add life to the area as well.

The area is also known for conch, banded shrimp, arrow crab, flounders, yellow tail snappers, and an assortment of angelfish.  It is also possible to see spiny lobsters and sting rays here.

The underwater visibility at Mexico Rocks is pretty perfect, and makes for an excellent half-day snorkel adventure.

4. Goff's Caye

On our Manatee watch, our boat stopped at a pristine little island with beautiful, clear water.  Unfortunately, mother nature decided to do a little dance, and it downpoured for a majority of our tour.  However, once we ducked our heads below the surface, the rain didn't matter one bit.  Thankfully, we were still able to snorkel off the Caye's white sandy beaches among colorful coral and fish.

The snorkeling is great for those just getting used to the idea, although a professional is necessary to guide you to the right places around the small island.  The waters were rather shallow, which was great for my friends who have never snorkeled before.  After we held hands for a bit and she became comfortable, I was able to let go and explore on my own with the group (and take pictures)!

At Goff's Caye, there is an abundance of brain coral, every color fish you could imagine, sting rays, barracudas, and small (harmless) sharks hanging around.

The island is particularly small, and there is nothing much but sand and palm trees. There is a dock that the boat tied up to, and a small shack selling food and drinks. On a bright and sunny day, I bet it's absolutely surreal, an idyllic "deserted island". Maybe next time... just gives me an excuse to go back ;)

5. Coral Gardens

After snorkeling four times in just a few days, I still wanted more. Crazy, right? The marine life was out of this world, so I signed up for yet another half-day tour, this time to explore the Coral Gardens. This spot, located between Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, is a patch of reef whose main attraction is the beautiful colorful corals. 

Although the fish life isn't as abundant as some of the other snorkel spots, I still saw the most gorgeous reef fish, including Parrot Fish, Hog Fish, and Fairy Bassets. Moray eels are frequently spotted here, as with the occasional nurse shark and lobster.

Source
Awesome scuba video: 8:43min.

Dance of the Green Moray from Bill McDonald on Vimeo.

Dance of the Green Moray

Green Moray Eels dancing during a dive at Esmeralda Canyon, Ambergris Caye, Belize. Interesting creatures. Beautiful in their own way.

The diver with the gopro on his wrist had best tuck in his fingers lest they be mistaken for something tasty to a moray.

Belize Blacktip Reef Sharks

I was lucky to go on the Belize Blue Hole 3-tank dive trip with the AMIGOS DEL MAR Dive Center in San Pedro on Ambergris Cay in Belize. I recommend that you call these guys to take you on any of their trips. A delicious hot lunch was served on a park island sanctuary for the Red Footed Booby between dives. They are great people providing a fun-filled and safe adventure for all of their guests.

Video: My Home..... by Marty O'Farrell

Things I am blessed to see and shoot on the reef....

Diving Belize - Esmerelda Dive Spot, San Pedro

A great day diving at the Esmerelda Dive Spot, San Pedro Belize. We dove with Ambergris Divers. Most of the video was shot on a Panasonic GH3 in a 10Bar housing with a red filter and a Intova Galaxy 2500 Lumens Underwater Video Light. All of this video was a single dive on April 10th, 2014. The video was edited in Premiere Pro CC and Speedgrade.

Diving With Sharks and Hungry Eels - The Belize Barrier Reef (With Video)

The rolling�wake rippled the otherwise glass-calm waters as our boat�cruised between two paradises. Making our way from Caye Caulker to Ambergris Caye was a breeze, and we pulled ashore just as Dariece’s stomach began to churn.�We stepped off of the boat with the same, slow saunter that we had acquired�from our previous�island oasis: Caye Caulker. Our sea-weary feet planted onto�the sun-heated dock which seemed to soften our synthetic flip-flops like we were standing on a stove. The sun’s intensity had been increasing ever since we left Mexico, but we weren’t complaining, this is the kind of weather we love.

A Beautiful Place To Have Activities

Ambergris Caye, Belize

There were two things that I was excited for when we arrived on Ambergris Caye in Belize: to stay at the stunning Victoria House Resort and to dive the Belize Barrier Reef which lies just a few hundred meters offshore!

Ambergris & The Belize Barrier Reef

Ambergris Caye is a small�coral Island off of the north-eastern coast of mainland Belize. Famous for its stunning beaches, 5 star resorts and fantastic diving, the island�has been a tourist hotspot since the 1970′s, when serious development began around the main settlement, San Pedro. Nowadays, the main draw to come to Ambergris�is the opportunity to dive around the Belize Barrier reef, which sits just�off of the island’s eastern coast.

Stretching from Southern Mexico�to Honduras, the�Mesoamerican Barrier Reef�is the second largest reef system in the world (next to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef). The Belize Barrier Reef is just a 300 km long section of the�total 900 km long shelf.�Boasting�more than 100 species of coral and 500 types of fish, this is one of the richest marine habitats on Earth. In fact, Charles Darwin described it as�“the most remarkable reef in the�West Indies” in 1842.

I knew that this was somewhere I had to check out and I was again thankful for my dive certification, which I like to call�“my underwater passport”. Ever since the best dive of my life, I try to go scuba diving whenever possible.�

Bluhead Wrasse.jpg

Photo By: Tibor Marcinek (via WikiCommons)

Choosing My Dive Shop

I’ve gotten into the habit of searching on TripAdvisor.com for the most reputable dive shops in a given area. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my diving career, it’s that you don’t want to go with an unprofessional dive center and you want to be sure that the gear is high-quality before even considering a dive. After a quick scan on TripAdvisor, I had made my decision.

Signing My Life Away At Belize Pro Dive Center

Signing My Life Away At Belize Pro Dive Center

Belize Pro Dive Center is the most popular dive shop on the island and for good reason. The staff are�extremely friendly and professional and the gear is�brand new and well-maintained. After speaking to the staff and browsing the shop, I knew I had made the right choice.

The Dives

With the world’s second largest reef at its�doorstep, it’s no surprise that the diving around Ambergris Caye is�amazing. Most people come here to dive the Great Blue Hole, a world-famous dive site about 72 km east of the island.�After hearing mixed reviews about the dive and learning that it makes for a 12 hour day at sea, I decided to wait until next time to do the Blue Hole dive. Instead, I planned to visit some of the lesser known dive sites around the Island.

Diving Ambergris Caye Belize

1st Dive Site: Christ Of The Abyss

My first dive near Ambergris Caye was fantastic. We went down 25 meters and almost immediately we were surrounded by nurse�sharks as we hugged a�massive coral cliff just 600 meters from Ambgergris Island. The sharks circled us for a couple of minutes and just as we were about to leave the cliff, a huge moray eel came out of its hole to see what all of the commotion was about. When the sharks saw the eel, they charged at it and scared it back into its little cave.

It’s moments like these that make diving so amazing. 75 feet under the surface we were able to witness�the marine life asserting their ancient hierarchy and displaying their aggressive, primitive behavior right before our eyes. This is why I dive.

Nurse Shark Dive Ambergris Caye

One Of The Many Nurse Sharks We Spotted

2nd Dive Site: D & B Canyons

My second dive wasn’t nearly as exciting as the first, but that’s the way it goes sometimes. We spotted a huge ray and a few trumpet fish, but aside from that we were just admiring the dark, ominous depths of the canyons below us, which sunk to about 100 meters.

3rd Dive Site: Esmerelda

Before starting this dive we had an extra long briefing session with the dive instructors. This is one of the few dive sites in Belize where they chum the waters to attract sea life. This is a practice that I’m strongly against but I didn’t realize that this was the plan until I was already suited up on the boat. We were warned that there are lots of sharks and eels that come around, and it was important that we keep our hands clenched into fists to avoid loosing a finger to one of the frenzied fish.

Shark Dive Ambergris Caye Belize

The Sharks Were Much More Friendly!

“No problem” I thought, but once I got down to the site, and the eels and sharks were all around us, I got a bit caught up in the moment. I was photographing a passing shark and, not thinking, I left my spare hand dangling behind me. Suddenly a felt a mass of soft flesh engulf my left pinky finder and when I looked down I saw a moray eel had my�entire finger in its mouth. I quickly pulled away just as he closed his jaw and luckily, retained my finger!

Eel Dive Ambergris Caye

This Eel Came For My Finger Shortly After This Photograph Was Taken

When we got back to the boat, my near dismemberment was the main topic of conversation. My dive master, Ian, explained that if I had left my hand there�a moment longer I would’ve lost my precious pinky! Check out the video below because I caught�this near disaster�on camera!

4th Dive Site: Paradise Canyon

When we fell back into the sea on this dive I could’ve sworn I heard dolphins. Their beeping and clicking conversations seemed to be just out of sight for the entire dive. When we reached our max depth of 18 meters, we were again greeted by a group of nurse sharks. I’ve only ever seen a few nurse sharks in my life as a diver, so I was mesmerized by them and I followed them everywhere. We also saw a few moray eels and this time I remembered to keep my fingers hidden! The coral at Paradise Canyon was healthy and colourful and the dive itself was a lot of fun. When we got back to the boat, the captain explained that there were dolphins circling the area, so my underwater assumptions were correct… I just wish I could’ve seen them!

fish Dive Ambergris Caye Belize

Back On Dry Land

After four dives around Ambergris Caye in Belize, I was dying for more. I loved every minute spent under the crystal-clear Caribbean sea and I definitely want to make my way back there some day soon. There are times when a dive crew can make the experience that much better and I have to say that I would definitely go back to Belize Pro Dive Center. The crew was fun, energetic and professional and there were delicious snacks waiting for us after every dive (a definite plus).

Aside from the one dive when they chummed the waters to attract fish, the crew was extremely respectful of the marine life and knew a lot about the dive sites in the area. The dive boat was brand new and very spacious and the instructors�took great care of the divers and the gear. I didn’t even have to prep my own tank!

Looking back at the dives in Ambergris, my only regret is not having more time. Definitely when we return to Belize, I’ll head back to the Belize Barrier Reef for some more incredible dives.

Check Out This Dive Video Which Includes The Hungry Eel Almost Lunching On My Finger!

Source

Diving, Belize, San Pedro Area, Tackle Box, Tres Cocos

The Night Shift

What happens at night in the ocean when the lights go out...
Shot in San Pedro, Belize June 2014.

Snorkeling in San Pedro, Belize

Snorkeling the reefs off of Tranquility Bay, on Northern Ambergris Caye, Belize. Taken with GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition and monopod.

Video: 2014 dive off of Ambergris Caye, Belize

Scuba diving Belize using Go Pro. Close-up with Eels, turtles, and sharks. 26min.

snorkeling belize 4 45 10000 vimeo from Christoph Creutzburg on Vimeo.

Snorkeling Belize

Nice high rez video�. Exploring some amazing spots around Caye Caulker. Many of the fish shown are named� Killer closeups on some rays

Belize Diving March 2014

Diving compilation from Belize highlighting the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye, Silky, the North Wall, and some Lionfish hunting. The last couple minutes may not be your thing if you don't like spearfishing. Otherwise enjoy the fish, sharks, turtles, eels, rays, and the diving prowess of Jaron and Alan!

Under Sea in Belize

Snorkeling Belize

Belize Night Dive

Night dive??

Dive Medicine Belize 2014

This video is about the Expedition and Wilderness Medicine course to Belize covering Marine and Diving Expedition Medicine run in 2014. There were a few mishaps en route, everyone got wet, but a great experience and wonderful week. Heres to a great team.

Day Dives in Belize Near San Pedro

Nice labeling....

Here are some interesting tidbits of the day dives we did in Belize (9 total dives)

Belize Night Dive

This is a compilation of some of the neat parts of the night dive in Belize

Snorkeling "Mexico Rocks"

Snorkeling "Mexico Rocks" off the coast of Ambergris Caye, Belize with Searious Adventures. One of the best snorkeling adventures we have experienced. So much life in a free swim environment. Sea life seen: stingrays, nurse sharks, moray eel, caribbean lobster, lots and lots of fish/coral and one big puffer fish.

Ambergris Caye, Belize. January 3-10, 2015

Some great diving sequences....

Underwater in Belize

Off the coast of Belize, near the Portofino Beach Resort, with Action Diver's amazing guides Roberto and Blinky, my wife learns to scuba dive. An amazing trip!

Belize Octopus 2014

A playful octopus on a night dive in Belize aboard the Sun Dancer !! in October 2014.

Snorkeling with Sharks, Rays, Eels and Fish, Belize 2014

You saw the scuba diving video of the Blue Hole, now you can see the Snorkeling video of Shark Ray Alley. Margie, Phil, Jody and Paul go snorkeling off of San Pedro Belize in November encountering sharks, rays and eels. :)

Shark Ray Alley is now a underwater wildlife preserve. It was used for centuries by local fisherman to clean their catch of the day in the shallow reef waters. Marine life still looks for free handouts (not snorkelers).

Ambergris Divers promo 2011

Just going thru some drives that I brought back the to the states with me. Came across this little project that I put together for Roberto Canul a few years back- Its hard to imagine that I at any time just took for granted this would always be my back yard.

Marty O'Farrell

Belize 2014

A dive trip to Belize aboard the Sun Dancer II in October of 2014. Sun Dancer II, Site Y, Long Caye Ridge, Half Moon Caye Wall, Sandbox, East Cut, Long Caye Wall, Blue Hole, Uno Coco. Chain Wall, Silver Cave, Sandy Slope, Credits

Blue Hole Adventure Day - Dive Three The Aquarium Aug 5 2014

Blackbird Caye Dive Resort

Belize V1 from Guillaume Ruoppolo on Vimeo.

The Amazing Sea Life of Belize! | Big Al's Does Belize

Nice video with lots of the fish of Belize highlighted, nicely labelled to help learn which is which!

"Our aquatics expert, Thomas, visited Belize in May 2015. Armed with a GoPro and sunscreen, he captured some incredible sea life in the ocean and the mangroves. Which one is your favourite? "

Tuffy Canyon

Great video....

Best of Belize - Scuba Diving

Montage of my best scuba diving clips from Belize, April 2015.
Hamanasi, Adventure & Dive Resort in Hopkins

Ambergris Caye, Belize

I shot this snorkeling video in June 2015 on my GoPro Hero4 Black mainly in 4K, with some 1080p mixed in.

Snorkeling/ Freediving San Pedro, Belize June 2015 Manatees!!

San Pedro was amazing. This was one of the best water experiences of my life! Manatees, turtles, nurse sharks, schooled fish, rays, conch, we saw a little bit of everything on this one day outing with Caribbean Adventures on their sailboat snorkel tour.

Unbelievable dive with the Dolphins in Belize

We had these dolphins with us for about 20 minutes up at the surface following us below. As we came up to the surface they stayed in the area. As we the others were getting on the boat one of the dolphins came over to me almost coaxing me to follow...As you can see i turn back towards the boat to decide to folow the group onto tbe boat or follow my new friend, so i did. As I followed All the others then came over to me. I started to do barrel rolls playing with them they came right up up to me even letting me touch them. AND kept surrounding me. The dive masters who have dived here all their lives have never seen anything like them ineracting with me. In fact they said this is a once in a life time chance and for those who dive know that to be true. I feel blessed to have had this opportunity

Nice video....

A Week in Belize...

A week of diving from Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) in Belize. Dives were on the barrier reef just offshore from Ambergris Caye. Sites included Mata Cut, Charlie's Canyons, Catalan Rocks, Hol Chan, and more. Saw a huge variety of marine life, including moray eels, nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, arrow crabs, lobster, and dense schools of fish throughout the reef.

Shot with the GoPro Hero 4 Silver, Gobe Tray + Arms, and two Gobe 700 Wide lights. Also used a Switchblade 2.0 red filter + macro lens.

by John Salisbury

Belize - Ambergris Caye

Diving the Belize Barrier Reef, Spotted Eagle Rays, Turtles, Sharks. Featuring guest diver Sara Brown.

Belize Seascapes March 2014

Mercer University Biology Department's Coral Reef Ecology students experience the seascapes of the world's second largest barrier reef system.

Awesome video....

Scuba Diving Belize

Highlights of scuba diving Believe from the Aggressor Fleet's Sun Dancer II. 27 dives on Lighthouse Reef, Turneffe Atol, Half moon Caye and other dive sites.

OK so you are very good. Makes me want to get back in the water. Thanks for sharing.

BEST BELIZE SNORKELLING

4K Belize Snorkeling filmed with our new GoPro Hero5 Black. Snorkeling in the second largest reef system of the world. UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.

Swimming with turtles, sharks, stingrays, barracudas and other Caribbean reef fishes at Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark Ray Alley, Caye Caulker Coral Gardens.

Nice Scuba Diving video....

BELIZE 2017 Fun Diving

Belize Underwater Reef Experience

Great video...

❤️

wow - wow - wow
This is the best video I've ever seen showing the diversity of our reef. Sure makes me want to get back in the water --- with a camera. THANK YOU FOR SHARING

Scuba Diving in Belize (Great Blue Hole, Turneffe, and More!)

Belize is an amazing scuba diving destination. You'll see more sea life than you can imagine and have the chance to dive down to 135 feet in the Great Blue Hole and the incredible clear waters of Turneffe Atoll.
Thanks fore a nice trip - only wish I had been there.

Belize 2018 Scuba Diving Highlights

Scuba diving in Belize. Not about the Blue Hole, but about the love of the sea

AWESOME Scuba Diving Video!

Watch this one!!!

UnBELIZEable Diving! Belize Summer Highlights

Great underwater photography...

Thank you so much. I haven't been in the water for a few years so this brought back found memories. Let me guess - dives were at Lighthouse Reef? I liked your ending with back and forth between divers and shark. Good Job.
Great video...

Scuba Diving in Belize
Scuba Trip aboard the Aggressor IV in Belize October 2020

Night Dive, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Family Snorkeling in Belize Second Largest Coral Reef System in the World
Great adventure for my family to see the second largest coral reef system in the world. To explore the sea marine ecosystem to see exotic fish and turtles and sharks and coral. You guys just need to make any excuse to visit amazing reef.

Great video!

Belize is OPEN, folks! Check out some of our footage from a recent charter! The Belize Aggressor III & IV are ready to show you what the liveaboard lifestyle is all about!

Paradise Canyons & Mermaid's Lair
Lots of nurse sharks on 1st dive. Susan on board. Fairly unremarkable dives. With Giovanni (divemaster) of Chuck & Robbie's.

Cypress Gardens & Esmerelda
Numerous nurse sharks and beautiful canyons on both dives. Green morays. With divemaster Danny of Chuck & Robbie's.

Boca Ciega & Tuffy Canyons
Beautiful canyons and nice long hawksbill turtle video on 1st dive. Thought a nurse shark was going to eat the camera on 2d dive!

Tackle Box Canyon & Cypress Gardens
Two wonderful dives to end the trip. Nurse sharks everywhere, a reef shark, and nice French angel on 1st dive. Nurse shark again nudged the camera. Large pillar coral, larger grouper, and fabulous swim-through at end of 2d dive. Nice long hawksbill turtle video on both dives.

Scuba Diving Belize 2021
SCUBA diving in Belize in a highlight of both the Caribbean and tourism in Central America. While the jungles attract a lot of tourists, Belize is also home to the second largest barrier reef in the world. It has so many incredible experiences for those who love to dive or snorkel. For this SCUBA diving adventure travel vlog I teamed up with PADI, a world famous diver training organization, and William Drumm, a talented underwater photographer.

We started the trip by taking a small plane from Belize City to San Pedro in Ambergris Caye. Here, we met up with Ramon's Village Resort and dove Hol Chan Marine Park, as well as many of the beautiful coral channels that snake through the reef. Highlights here for us were Nurse Sharks, Loggerhead Sea Turtles, and even an Octopus

Unfortunately our dive to The Great Blue Hole was cancelled due to weather, but ended up seeing a Bottlenose dolphin underwater close to the reef. Not a bad replacement.

Next was taking another plane from San Pedro to Placencia to meet Patricia at SPLASH dive centre to dive at Silk Caye. We island hopped, saw the underwater goddess statue, and trekked through Cockscomb Basin.

Undersea snorkeling videos from our trip to Belize.

March/April, 2021 - Hopkins, San Pedro & the Aggressor III
We spent three weeks in Belize and visited three different locations. The first location was Hopkins, where we did a combination of diving and jungle activities. The second location was San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye, for diving. The third location was aboard the Belize Aggressor III liveaboard dive vessel, out of Belize City. We spent a week aboard the boat eating, sleeping and diving (not necessarily in that order). The trip was fantastic in every way. We saw something a little bit different at each location.

Belize Diving

Diving in Belize

Sharks, turtles and rays fill the waters of Belize. We were lucky enough to dive there and see them all!

Beautiful Bountiful Belize
A quick teaser detailing the highlights from our Belize 2021 Snorkel Safari through the Belize Barrier Reef with the Belize Aggressor III liveaboard.

Belize Photo Safari with Belize Aggressor IV

Turneffe Atoll

Diving for a week in Belize. What a treat! The coral was in pretty good shape, the waters were mostly clear and the wildlife was plentiful on every dive. Looking for a great dive getaway? You'd be hard pressed to have a better experience that at Turneffe Island.

Diving Tuffy and Tackle-box Reefs at San Pedro

Belize Underwater

This is Belize

Amigo's Wreck - San Pedro
During a recent hurricane the Amigo's Wreck was wedged into the reef and almost buried from the violent movement of the sea.

B�lize Novembre 2022

Diving at Turneffe Atoll, Belize. High-quality underwater footage, "feel-good video". Moray eel, cleaner shrimps, toad fish, nassau grouper, trumpetfish and more. Also the famous Great Blue Hole. Music by Belizean composer and artist Pen-Cayetano.

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board