AmbergrisCaye.com Home
don't forget that Belize is playing Honduras delayed on UNIVISION DEPORTES tonight...8:30 on the west coast of the USA...not sure in which markets it' s live and where it's shown taped. Live its at 4:30 pm.
Honduras vs Belize Final Result:
Winner is Honduras with final score of 2-0

Honduras vs Belize Goals:
35' Honduras (J. James (o.g.)), 37' Honduras (E. Smith (o.g.))

Own-goals propel Honduras past Belize

Honduras benefited from a pair of own-goals to register a 2-0 win over Belize in the first 2014 Central American Cup match for each on Wednesday at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium.

The Group A victory extended Hondurans' streak of conceding one goal or fewer in the competition to 16 games.

In new head coach Hernan Medford's debut, the 2014 FIFA World Cup participant became the first team in tournament history to reach the 100-goal mark. The second own-goal enabled it to hit the milestone, but it came as a result of another CCA first - two own-goals in the same game.

From the start, Honduras looked sharp and played with purposeful intent.

Forward Antony Lozano embodied that adventuresome spirit for a side that looked distinctively different from the one that lost all three games at Brazil 2014 only two months ago. Early on, the Olimpia standout had an effort from seven-yards out blocked by goalkeeper Woodrow West and saw a bicycle kick whistle past the right post.

The three-time CCA champion finally broke through in the 34th minute. A right-sided corner kick was swung outwards in the direction of a jumping Erick Norales. The Honduran defender could not connect, but the ball found the head of Jeromy James, who powered it beyond his own goalkeeper.

Only three minutes later, Belize was stung by another inadvertent miscue. From the right side of the box, Wilfredo Barahona tried to guide a pass towards the far post. In a sliding attempt to make a block, Elroy Smith pushed the ball past West into his own net.

The active Hondurans were unlucky not to tack on more goals after the break.

Another Lozano bicycle kick in the 52nd minute was saved at point-blank range by West for a corner.

Shortly afterwards, Jonathan Mejia collected a deflected pass in the penalty area and fired a low right-footed shot that forced West into a full-stretch stop.

Honduras, which is unbeaten in nine of its last 10 CCA games, will next face El Salvador on Sunday, while Belize meets Guatemala. Both encounters are at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas.

Concaf.com

Sunday

Copa UNCAF on Univision Deportes: Guatemala vs Belize at 7pm USA Eastern time
Guatemala v. Belize - Belize was the shock team in the 2013 edition of this tournament, qualifying for the Gold Cup for the first time in its history. A tough draw and a 2-0 loss to Honduras in its tournament opener makes that difficult for the nation. "I think it would be a huge blow if we don't make it to the Gold Cup again. All the work we have put in through the years trying to get football to another level in Belize, it wasn't easy," Belize forward Deon McCaulay told Goal USA. "I think that if we don't make it, it's going to be something huge. We'd have to start all over again."

To get through a win Sunday against Guatemala is a must, and it will require the team to generate more in attack than it did against los Catrachos.

"I've evaluated the last game that I played, and I think that I need to come down more for the ball and try to take on players one-on-one and try to find open spaces and help the other players moving forward with me move into space so I can create more," McCaulay said. "I just plan to be explosive tomorrow and try to bring the best game I can bring."

Of course, it will also have to keep Guatemala from scoring, something easier said than done with Marco Pappa in excellent form. The Seattle Sounders midfielder scored both goals in the team's 2-1 triumph against El Salvador in Washington D.C.

"He had a great match out, he scored both goals as you know, he really delivered, but I'm very happy with the whole team," Guatemala manager Ivan Franco Sopegno told Goal USA.

Belize has never beaten Guatemala, and it would be stunning to see them reverse that trend Sunday.

Source

Upcoming Matches (Bze Time):

Sunday, September 7, 2014 - Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX

3:00pm Costa Rica vs. Panama

5:00pm Guatemala vs. Belize

7:00pm Honduras vs. El Salvador

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, TX

4:00pm Panama vs. Nicaragua

6:00pm El Salvador vs. Belize

8:00pm Honduras vs. Guatemala

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA

2:00pm Third Place Group A vs. Third Place Group B

5:00pm Second Place Group A vs. Second Place Group B

8:00pm First Place Group A vs. First Place Group B

Guatemala vs Belize Highlights
Final score, Guatemala 2, Belize 1

In the second match of the night, Guatemala beat Belize and also qualified for the Concacaf Gold Cup.

Former FC Dallas forward Carlos "Pescadito" Ruiz scored for Guatemala in the 25th minute. Marvin Avila scored the second goal in the 52nd minute.

Deon McCauiay scored the only goal for Belize in the 81st minute.

Play by play account here:

El Salvador vs Belize Preview

El Salvador vs Belize
Competition - Copa Centroamericana
Date: 10th September 2014 (11th in EU)
Kick-off time - 01:00 GMT+1
Stadium - BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas
Live streaming - bet365

El Salvador meet Belize at the BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas this Wednesday evening to play their third match in Group B of the Copa Centroamericana 2014.

El Salvador lost their opening game 2:1 to Guatemala before defeating Honduras 1:0 last time out.

Belize lost 2:0 against Honduras in their opening match and followed that up with another loss against Guatemala (2:1).

Recent form: El Salvador - W L L L L W L Belize - L L L L L D L El Salvador have won 2 of their last 7 while Belize are winless in 7.

El Salvador are strong favourites with bookmakers to come out on top in this match - On paper, Belize have no chance of winning this match given their record of 2 goals scored in their last 9 games and 17 conceded - based on these stats alone, odds of (4/9) looks very reasonable for El Salvador.

Ultimately El Salvador should come out on top in this tie - they have some solid form mixed with some very weak form and poor performances but they face a Belize side who really struggle to score goals and ultimately this has been and will be their biggest downfall.

Source

Burgos strikes again as El Salvador defeats Belize

Rafael Burgos and Arturo Alvarez struck for second half goals to lift El Salvador to a 2-0 win over Belize in both teams' final Group A match in the 2014 Central American Cup at BBVA Compass Stadium on Wednesday.

The win gave the Cuscatlecos six points from three matches, the same amount Guatemala accrued from its opening two. Guatemala will face Honduras (3 points) in the Group Stage's finale later in the evening.

The group winner advances to the final, while the runner-up will compete in the third-place match and the third-place finisher in the match for fifth place. Each of those games will be played as part of a tripleheader on Saturday at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Burgos put El Salvador in front three minutes into the second half after being freed on goal by Alvarez's through ball. The Minnesota United forward took two touches on a long run before beating Woodrow West low and inside the near post from 13 yards.

In the 69th minute, Alvarez put the game away when he finished a lengthy, ambitious run with a left-footed blast into the upper left corner of the net to give El Salvador a 2-0 lead.

The Salvadorans had two quality chances to score in the first half, but Burgos' 16th minute effort from 14 yards was saved by West. The Belize goalkeeper also parried away an attempt by Alexander Larin from 10 yards in the 28th minute.

Just past the hour mark, Trevor Lennen nearly equalized for Belize, but his shot from 22 yards went wide of the right post.

El Salvador goalkeeper Henry Hernandez was challenged in the 83rd minute, diving to his right to knock away a bouncing shot by Deon McCaulay, who received a quality cross by Roberts from the right.

El Salvador improves to 6-0-0 in all-time CCA meetings with Belize, which lost all three of its Group Stage matches and was eliminated from the competition.

Source

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board