AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: December 19, 2012 - 12/19/12 03:10 PM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

The Island Academy Presents; Christmas Wish List to Santa Claus at the annual Christmas Pageant
The Island Academy did not disappoint the school's guests for their annual Christmas Pageant that took place on Wednesday December 12th. The 17th annual Christmas Pageant was held under the theme "Christmas Wish List to Santa Clause," and as expected, brought much fun, laughter and enjoyment to those in attendance. The highly anticipated concert started with a grand entrance by the entire school, followed by a beautiful and touching personal wish list letter to Santa Clause from Wilema Alamilla, the school's administrator. During the hour long show, there were excellent performances such as song, dance, music and a main skit all highlighting the main message of caring, sharing and spreading love and cheer during the Christmas season. Speaking to The San Pedro Sun Lady Dixie Bowen explained that while it is always a special event, the show is geared to bring across the true meaning of Christmas. Lady Bowen said that while having fun, the students as well as the teachers invested a lot of energy and time in preparing the best possible performance for the parents and community as a special gift. From the start to the end of the show, the use of props and costume, combined with the performance of the students, surely captured the attention of all.

Ambergris Today

UNICEF Kicks Off Cleanup Campaign in San Mateo Area
When it rains it pours and this is the case in the San Mateo area of San Pedro Town. Lately we have seen the vast improvement of its streets, the bringing of electric supply, distribution of water filtering buckets, and now distribution of hygiene literature and equipment, as well as garbage bins for individual homes. San Mateo is on the long list as recipients of many amenities that will bring a healthier standard of living for everyone. The San Pedro Town Council carries as slogan on this drive: Creating a Clean and Safe Environment in San Mateo, San Pedro Town. UNICEF (United Nations International Children Education Fund), which has partnered very generously with the Town Council, carries its own slogan: Fulfilling Every Child's Right to Clean Water, Proper Sanitation and Hygiene Sanitation.

Christmas Carol Concert Brings Community Together
A Christmas Carol Concert was held on the beach near Wayo's Bar on Saturday, December 15, 2012. The event was a first for San Pedro and had three main aims; to celebrate the festive season, to socialize together as a community and most importantly, to raise funds for the five children who face Christmas this year without their father for the first time. Hector Duran or 'Chapin' as he was fondly known was tragically killed just two months ago in an accident at work, when a compressed air cylinder exploded. This brought great sadness to the whole island and the outpouring of grief was immense. With Christmas fast approaching, a decision was made to try and offer some support to the children and show them just how much the community cared for, respected and loved their father. A small committee was set up and work began in earnest to raise funds and prepare for an evening of entertainment. Committee members included Vic Murphy, Grant Guy, Bertha Vasquez, Joe Chung, Dee Regis, Melanie Paz, Eduardo (Wayo) Vasquez and Shirlee Arnould.

Teen Talk: Maya 2012 End of the World...Nope!
So you probably already heard the rumors on the "End of the World" that is suppose to take place on the 21st of December! A lot of people think it's not real but then there are those who are deep into the idea that the Maya have predicted the end of life as we know it. Facts have proven that all the rumors that people made up are not true, for example the rumor of the planets coming in one straight line. NASA has issued a statement saying this is not true and also stating the reasons why this is not going to happen. A major planetary alignment isn't in the cards, and certainly not on Dec. 21. Yet we still don't know if something will happen on the 21st, maybe nothing will happen or maybe aliens from outer space will arrive. The Mayas were very fond of the sky and stars so maybe the Maya calendar was actually a countdown to the aliens returning or coming.

Pic of the Week: Finding Tranquility in Southern Belize
The staff of Ambergris Today was fortunate enough to travel to southern Belize this past weekend and spend a very relaxing time at the beautiful Hopkins Bay Resort in the tiny village of Hopkins, Stann Creek District. This Picture of the Week explains our entire weekend - TRANQUILITY! Finding such peace, quiet and amazing views like this one is not hard at all in the picturesque village. A wonderful destination in the country of Belize.

Letters: Organizers of Duran Family Fundraiser Extend Gratitude to Community
On behalf of the five children of Hector "Chapin" Duran, we would like to say "Thank You" to all of those who so generously donated products or services to the "Chapin's Christmas Benefit": The list is believed to be accurate however, it is possible that we may have inadvertently missed someone. If we have, please accept our sincere apologies for the oversight. Events like this do not happen on their own, and we feel it is really important to acknowledge and thank all of those who gave of themselves and their time and services without ever considering payment. These are good honest people who displayed camaraderie and community spirit from start to finish. From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you all for helping to put on a brilliant show with an amazing outcome.

Misc Belizean Sources

End of Maya Calendar start of a New Era celebration in San Pedro Town
Maya Celebration on Ambergris Caye: Block Party and Music Festival. Friday, Dec. 21st at the Central Park, starting at 5:00am. Anyone wanting more information can contact the Jorge Aldana, Vice Chair of the San Pedro Cultural Committee of the San Pedro Town Council at 662-0143. The event is open to the public for free!

Homemade Hamburgers
In this video, I share with you how to make burger patties in a skillet from scratch. I also use one of my other recipes called Yeast Cakes to make the bread or bun.

Belizean Rum Popo
Due to popular demand, I'm uploading this one earlier than I had planned.

SMALL BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER- WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO, HOW IT'S BENEFICIAL TO YOU!!
In Belize, the small business community, known as MSME-(Micro, Small, and Medium enterprises) is a vital sector for economic development. It is estimated that MSMEs account for over 70% of main export crops and an even higher percentage of domestic food crops. It is within this spectrum that the Government of Belize has strengthened its focus on supporting the development of the MSME Sector. How is the SBDC beneficial to you? The provision of long term one-on-one assistance to SBDC clients is of priority to us. You can receive assistance from a counselor at any point in your business operation. The technical trainings and advisory services provide YOU, our valued SBDC client, with technical information at workshops, and ensured implementation through personal follow up advice from a counselor to answer any questions. In Belize, the small business community, known as MSME-(Micro, Small, and Medium enterprises) is a vital sector for economi

Channel 7

Lucky Store Robbery Unlucky For Robber & Grocer
Police have swarmed the streets, but pre-Christmas crime isn't easy to eliminate - and today a robber pounced on a grocer at the very edge of Lake Independence. It happened just before 9:30 this morning when there was an attempted robbery at Lucky's store on Triple D Street in the Mahogany Extension area. The 58 year old Chinese proprietor - who is known to the neighborhood as Mike- was inside his store when the robber entered and clubbed him in the forehead with a handgun. But police responded quickly and the robber was unable to steal anything, as he scrambled into the nearby bushes. In an off camera interview this morning with 7news, an employee of the injured shop owner told us what happened... Voice of: Employee of the Establishment "I was at my other garage when my boss - because I work for him as his personal mechanic. So, no job was here, so I went to the next garage to go work. He called me, and he said, Dennis, they are robbing me right now. And the phone dropped, so couldn't get back to him. So, I called his personal phone. And when I called, I heard a struggle in there, but the phone is breaking up, so he couldn't tell me anything. So, I jumped on the bike, and I came. When I came on the bike, I didn't see anybody.

Platitudes In Response To Pandemonium
Platitudes In Response To Pandemonium Email Print And while police responded promptly to that incident - there still has not been a coherent official explanation of what happened on Saturday night at BTL Park. As we reported, a concert featuring local artists erupted into public terror after a gang brawl broke out and three salvos of shots were fired. Hundreds of terrified concert goers made a desperate dash for safety - only to find nearby venues locking up their doors and gates to keep out the stampede. In the end, four persons were stabbed and one shot - all of them believed to be gang affiliated. Later on that night one man was killed, and another injured. It was a major gang clash in a public space and one that left public confidence in their personal security at public venues badly shaken, but there's been nothing from officialdom. Today we caught police minister John Saldivar at a BDF event and he mouthed the sort of platitudes we've heard from many an exasperated minister of national security before: Hon. John Saldivar - Minister of National Security "We get it under control for a few weeks, and then one weekend or so, people just go ballistic, and we have a lot of murders or so. And we have got to find a way to deal with it. I think that the crime ridden areas strategy has worked in terms of reducing major in crimes in these areas, and specifically in Belize City. But, it doesn't seem to have an effect on the murder situation. And there's another approach that we must try to deal with the Murder."

"Chicken Dread" Defiant
Today police were also on Albert Street in the heart of the city shutting down an open-air fried chicken vendor. For some years now Paul Ferguson known as "Chicken Dread" has been selling fried chicken on the sidewalk across from the commercial center. It's the epicenter of the Albert Street action - and that's where he puts his deep fryer to lure in pedestrians with that unmistakable fried chicken aroma. But according to City Hall, that aroma - or the fumes from it - has been causing public complaints - and this afternoon Ferguson was shut down. 7news was there and we got both sides of the story: His bowl was full of fried chicken his deep frying still bubbling but Paul Ferguson had to go - police and city constables were there to remove him. Ferguson didn't seem the least bit intimidated; the devout PUP supporter says he's being persecuted because of competition: Paul Ferguson - Being Removed by City Hall "He has his dirty restaurant in the Commercial Center which is not making any money, so he is just jealous that I am out here selling chicken. Everybody buys my chicken."

Hon. Finnegan Says Easy Glen Hustled In His Name
Tonight a senior member of the UDP says two of the party's soldiers have gone rogue - and they're impersonating him to hustle money in his name. UDP Party Whip Michael Finnegan says Goldbourne Adolphus known as Easy Glen has been calling government departments and business persons saying that he is Michael Finnegan and that he will send Easy Glen to pick up some money. Finnegan claims his sideman is James Swazo known to us as the Chainsaw Man for the role he played in that Chainsaw debacle with a political sign back in 2007. Finnegan told us it first came to his attention four weeks ago when he claims Glen went to the Minister of Works and his CEO - to pick up some money: Hon. Michael Finnegan - Area Representative, Mesopotamia "Both called me and said, 'Minister, the favor that you called for this morning, in connection with those boys in your area, we have looked after it, and they are right here with us, now. And we are going to deliver on what you asked for this morning.' I said, 'But which favor did I ask for?' He said, 'But the gentleman is right here with me. It's Goldburn Adolphus, better known as Easy Glenn, and one James Swazo.' Well, I told them, 'Deliver nothing to them, and give them nothing because I did not request any favor.' And I reported the matter to the Commissioner of Police, but somehow, the Commissioner of Police failed to pick up these guys, when I was promised by him that he will look after it.

Mayor Cuts Off Major Traffic ArteryAt Christmas!?
The Belcan roundabout - or the flag monument as it is also known - may be the busiest intersection in the country. But tonight the eight way intersection is like a heart with 15% blockage - because one of the main arteries has been closed - until next year! You heard it right, the leg of the roundabout which leads to the Northern Highway has been shut off - and not just for a day - it will be weeks as they cement it. Sounds like a crazy idea at Christmas time, but the Mayor says it's just got to be done, as part of the plan for the paving of Freetown Road: Darrell Bradley - Mayor, Belize City Council "We had already envisioned that we were going to do the roundabout, and about 100 feet unto the Northern Highway. And what we're going to do is that, we're going to remove the crosswalks, because that is a perennial problem in traffic congestion in the morning, and we're going to allow people - we're going to actually compel people to use the overpass, and it's supposed to be an ease in traffic. Actually we're trying to see if we could construct that section of the road, in a certain way where they entire road didn't need to be closed at any given time because there are different ways in which the contractor can actually operate. That work is actually being done by our own City Council staff, and what we are doing in that area is that, we're trying to - as much as is possible - minimize the work, and work as fast as possible to ensure that this thing is finished by New Year's."

GSU Goes to Benque
Last night, 7News told you about the Gang Suppression Unit conducting raids on suspected members of the MS 13 Gang in the city - well now they have focused on reputed gang members in Benque Viejo. Well tonight, the GSU says that it has busted another man they believe is connected to that gang. Yesterday at 12:25 p.m., GSU officers conducted a search at the residence of 23 year-old Hector Antonio Perrera, located on Joyce Blair Street in Benque Viejo Del Carmen. When the officers approached, they saw Perrera trying to flee, but he was immediately detained. The officers searched him and found 3.1 grams of cannabis in his pocket. While the officers were conducting the search on Perrera, they spotted 25 year-old Carlos Gomez standing on the side of the street. The decided to search him, and they found 1.5 grams of cannabis under his right foot. As result of these finds, police arrested and charged both Perrera and Gomez with separate counts of possession of controlled drugs. The GSU said that these men had tattoos of both the MS-13 and 18th Street gangs. The GSU says that these men displayed loyalties to both gangs.

Soldiers Get Thanks of a Grateful Nation
Being a BDF soldier is no easy life - whether patrolling in the Chiquibul or on George Street, it's always dangerous, the pay isn't all that, and the working conditions are rugged. But, once a year, the BDF Brass rolls out Christmas Dinner - and the Big Men from Belmopan show up to give thanks of a grateful nation. Monica Bodden was there today: Just after 12 this afternoon lunch was served to 300 BDF soldiers at their headquarters in Price Barracks. The men and women who serve on the frontlines of our country's borders and in the streets against crime - got to sit back and enjoy a tasty Belizean Christmas meal. It is a traditional luncheon to honor and show appreciation for the hard work of these officers over the 12 months - This afternoon Deputy Prime Minister Gaspar Vega and Minister of Security John Saldivar became waiters -as they helped with the serving of lunch. Hon. John Saldivar - Minister of National Security "This is our small way of saying thanks to the officers of the Belize Defence Force, who have served so selflessly, tirelessly over the last 12 months. For all the good the good work they have put in, I am sure that we don't see it in the media all the time, but they're out there behind the scenes, in the jungles out there protecting us, and providing us with a safe environment in which to live. So, this is our way of saying thanks to them. As you can see, from the response, I think that their moral is up. Their energy is high, and they feel good to belong to an organization like the BDF, and we want to keep it that way. So, that's why we want to show them our thanks, by coming here and being here today to celebrate and eat with them."

55 Year Old Awaits Sentence For Sex with A Teenager
55 year-old Winston Dennison is at prison tonight awaiting sentence after he was convicted of 3 counts of carnal knowledge yesterday in the courtroom of Justice Troadio Gonzalez. In the trial, Crown Counsel Thalia Meagan Francis called 6 witnesses, but the main witness was his 15 year-old victim. She testified that Dennison had intercourse with her three times. According to this minor, Dennison had been pursuing her for a length of time professing his love for her, and she finally gave in. In his defense, Dennison initially chose to remain silent, but he then changed his mind and emphatically protested his innocence in a statement from the dock. After deliberating for almost 3 and a half hours, a jury of 9 returned with guilty verdicts on all 3 counts.

Kalilah From "Jamdown" Trains Journalists and Newcomers
For years, Kalilah Enriquez was a fixture on the KREM W-U-B morning show. But over three years ago, she headed to Jamaica to get her masters in Media Studies. Since then, she's worked at a number of Jamaican Television stations as a news reporter and presenter. But now, she's home for the holidays and held a 2-day workshop to try to share her knowledge with local journalists and newcomers interested in a media career. It concluded today right here at our studio, and 7News spoke to Enriquez about the response she got: Kalilah Enriquez - Organizer, Media Workshop "So, what we're doing for the past couple of days is media training workshps. On day 1, we focused on writing, which I think is very important in how we communicate because writing for an audience, writing in journalism is a whole lot different from how you would write an academic paper, a story. So, I thought that this was something very important that Belizean journalists need to learn. Now, on day 2, which was today, and what you guys saw and walked in on, was the presentation workshop. So, we're learning how to use our voices; how to project our voices; what to say; what not to say as an interviewee; how do I get my point across when the journalist is asking me something else. And as an interviewer and as a presenter, what do I do with these things, my hands? Where do I put them? Do I cross my hands? Do I show tha I am open and honest as some of the videos showed? So, how do I convey my message? How do I fluctuate my pitch and tone, and how do I realize and pay attention to endings of words. Many people speak in a way that because they speak Kriol every day, we forget to say the ending of words. As soon as I contacting the media houses about whether they would want to have their people participate in this workshop, almost everybody was immediately like, 'Yes, we definitely need this.' And they turned out. For the 2 days, we had a full house, and they were all very appreciative. At the end, some of them gave me hugs because they were like, 'Yes, I really needed to hear this. And now, I know what to look for in my own speech patterns and writing.'"

How Literacy Programme Will Work
How Literacy Programme Will Work Email Print Last night we told you about the Computer Assisted Learning programme that Restore Belize is spearheading with Taiwanese funding. It's generated a lot of interest from our viewers - and tonight we re-visit yesterday's launch to tell you a little more about how it will work: Randy Boissonnault - Executive Director, Literacy Without Borders "What happens is that you're going to come in; you're going to be getting a little orientation to the program. We're going to sit you down, and we going to show you - you might not know how to use a mouse. You may have never sat down in front of a computer. So, we'll show you how to use the keyboard. All you really need to do is use the mouse, and click the arrow on the screen. And what's going to happen is that we're going to get you to start a tutorial. So, there's going to be - we're just going to ask to read one sentence, and you're going to answer some questions. And you're not able to read that one sentence, the software will automatically know what to do, and it'll get you started. And so, what's going to happen is that you're going to go to another screen, and it's going just put up letter combinations, and you're going to hear some sounds. And it's going to ask you to associate the letters on the screen with the sound that you're hearing. And it's just going to build. It's going to build from a very simple sound and letter recognition exercises, to more complex words, word combinations, letter combinations. And then, depending on how much time you spend with the program, within 20 to 30 hours, you'll be up at least a grade level."

Fried Chicken Ferguson Is Back
And before we close we have a quick update on two stories we ran earlier in the newscast. First, Michael Finnegan called our newsroom a few minutes ago to tell us that even as we've been reporting on the Easy Glenn imposter incident - Glenn was calling UDP Politician Li Mark Chang to order 54 dollars' worth of food in Finnegan's name. City Police have been alerted. And, in another update, as we told you earlier, the so called Chicken Dread Paul Ferguson was picked up today for insulting words - and the Belize city Mayor also said he had been generating too much fumes at his open air location. But tonight, he is back at his spot. A few minutes ago, he told Daniel Ortiz why he came back: Daniel Ortiz "You are testing the patience of the City Council. Why is that, sir?" Paul Ferguson - Resisting City Hall "First thing, the Mayor is a liar, and the Mayor never gave me any warning. The Mayor never told me anything about someone has a health issue with me. What health issue is that, sir? All the Spanish who are selling in the park area, why don't they go and move them? All the people selling on the sidewalk, why don't they move them? Why now will they think about moving me?

Channel 5

Disgusting Report: British National alleged child pornography
There is a disturbing report out of Placencia tonight. A British teacher is being questioned for alleged child pornography and sexual abuse. According to reports, the British national, who is a private tutor in the peninsula, was first detained for drug possession. But because of suspicious activity, police went to his house where they found [...]

3 badly beaten and 1 threatened at gunpoint in alleged police brutality
There is another allegation of excessive use of force by cops in San Pedro and tonight, there is an ongoing investigation of two police officers, including a woman police constable, for an allegation of brutality. Four residents of La Isla Bonita were assaulted by the rogue cops: one was threatened at gunpoint while the three [...]

BCCI says trade licenses hikes are too much; but the Mayor says it's the law
Business owners across Belize City, including members of the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry, have been experiencing, in some cases as much as three hundred percent spike in trade licensing fees since the start of the month.� The Belize City Council, which is responsible for the collection of such revenue, says it has been [...]

Why do you shop in Chetumal?
Tonight's question is: Do you shop in Chetumal because of: High taxes in Belize, More variety or cheaper goods? Send your comments and responses using your SMART phones to 8686 or post your vote on our e-poll at channel5belize.com. You can also send an email with your comments to [email protected].

P.G. Family alleges police brutality in death of hospital driver
While police are investigating two of their own in San Pedro for alleged brutality, in the south there is also an ongoing investigation into what caused the death of Punta Gorda Hospital driver, Francisco Shol. By family accounts, Shol was beaten up by an off duty police officer who transported him to the hospital. He [...]

Easy Glenn busted using Minister Michael Finnegan's name to scam businesses
Easy Glenn; he's a well known U.D.P. supporter but tonight a government minister is calling him out as an "old thief." According to Minister of Housing, Michael Finnegan, Easy Glenn has used his name to con various businesses. Finnegan says he found out weeks ago that Goldburn Adolphus has been impersonating him in telephone calls [...]

1st time offender spared jail time for Robbery conviction; fined $3,000
A cop's son who was convicted on December sixth, was today spared from jail time after he was imposed a non-custodial sentence for a robbery charge. Twenty-three year old Evan Bruhier along with a fifteen year old minor was found guilty of robbing, twenty-two year old Oscar Dimas of his bicycle and cell phone on [...]

Fried chicken vendor fights City Council as he is moved from Albert Street
Food vendor, Paul Ferguson, was hauled from his popular fried chicken stand on Albert Street and taken to the police station at around one p.m. today. It triggered a big commotion as patrons and bystanders crowded the stand when he was taken away by the cops. Ferguson, who is a fixture in downtown Belize City, [...]

Sting operation delays police response to burglary in P.G.
Aside from the incident involving Francisco Shol on Friday night, Janny's Restaurant and Sports Bar, formerly known as the P.G. Sports Bar, was the target of thieves on Sunday. Sometime around three a.m., two men-one armed with a firearm-gained access to the premises through a door on the roof to the building. The burglars held [...]

GSU operations in the west yield drugs and ammo
Early this morning, the Gang Suppression searched the house of Rafael Martinez in the Santa Cruz area of Benque Viejo del Carmen. The GSU found fifty grams of cannabis in a black plastic bag placed in a school bag in the living room of the house. An additional amount of three hundred and eighty-four grams [...]

Decomposing body identified as Tyrone Simon
The decomposing body of a man was found on Sunday night in his house in East Canal in Belize City. The man has been identified as Tyrone Simon, who had no known relatives in Belize and was last seen last Friday in the area of Dean Street and East Canal. His disappearance did not sound [...]

Belize City Northern entrance locked off for construction
There was a bottleneck this morning caused by ongoing road works at the northern entrance of the city. Commuters, entering and leaving Belize City via the Phillip Goldson Highway, were surprised by the unannounced closure of the thoroughfare at its juncture with the Freetown Road roundabout. Motorists exiting the Old Capital this morning were met [...]

United Belizeans Incorporated brings goodies for Dangriga/PG children
United Belizeans Incorporated (UBI) is a Los Angeles based charity organization that raises funds to assist Belizeans at home and abroad. In 2011, it started a Christmas initiative to collect toys and other goodies to bring for needy kids. Children's homes in the Belize District benefitted from that first toy drive, but UBI is back [...]

LOVE FM

Toledo Family Craves Justice For Death of Family Member
The family of a Toledo man who died under mysterious circumstances continues to look for answers and today they are offering a reward for information they believe will help to solve the case. Fifty three year old Francisco Shol died on Saturday, about a day after he was found in ...

Child Sexual Abuse Reported In Placencia
Police in Placencia village are investigating a disturbing report of alleged child sexual abuse and child pornography in the community. A man, whose identity we cannot release because he has not yet been officially charged, is in police custody pending the outcome of an investiga...

Police News
There was an attempted robbery this morning in Belize City. It happened at the Lucky Store located at miles two and a half on the George Price Highway around nine thirty this morning. Police say that a man of dark complexion went into the store and attacked the proprietor, a fift...

Ladyville Man Chopped Following Attempted Robbery
A Ladyville man was injured in an attempted armed robbery on Saturday afternoon in Belize City. The victim, a thirty five year old man told police that he was walking on Frederick's Alley around four thirty on Saturday afternoon when he was accosted by two men, whom he know...

Christmas Luncheon at Price Barracks
Christmas is a week away and today the Belize Defense Force held its annual Christmas luncheon. Reporter Marion Ali was at Price Barracks and filed this report. MARION ALI "The men and women who stand shoulder to shoulder in protecting our jewel's borders toda...

Policeman's Son Guilty of Robbery
Twenty-three year old salesman Evan Bruhier, the son of a police officer, was found guilty of robbery today. Magistrate Adolph Lucas did not give him a custodial sentence because he had no previous conviction. He fined Bruhier $3,000.00 and gave him until March 31, 2013 to pay. If he d...

OAS and EU Signs Agreement Supporting Peace Fund Project
The Organization of American States and the European Union have signed an agreement to support the Peace Fund project which implements Confidence Building Measures in the Adjacency Zone between Belize and Guatemala. The Peace Fund is managed by the hemispheric organization. Speaking at...

CTV3

Two Cops Investigated For Corruption
Two cops attached to the Orange Walk Police Station are in the hot seat tonight after being accused of brutalizing and stealing a whapping $10,000 from a Fisherman from Orange Walk Town. Reports are that around 2:30 Saturday morning, Lisandro Sanchez was socializing inside Butchies Night Club located on Belize Corozal Road, when he was detained by two police officers. The officers; however, did not take Sanchez to the police station, instead, he was allegedly taken to the Orange Walk By Pass near the San Estevan Roundabout, where he was beaten by the cops. To make matters worst, the law enforcer's allegedly took away $10,000 from Sanchez, money which he obtained from selling a pearl in Belize City early Friday morning. Reports to CTV3 News are that both cops, one from the Village of Guinea Grass and the other from the Village of Progresso, have been detained by police. Investigations continue.

Man Knocked Down And Killed While Heading Home
Sunday evening Proved to be fatal as a resident of Libertad Village in Corozal, was knocked down while riding his bicycle home. Sixty two year old Candido Fuentes was killed in a traffic accident near the Village of Aventura located between miles 77 and 78 on the Philip Goldson Highway. It is the 3rd traffic accident that ends fatal over the last three weeks. Reporter Elmer Cornejo has the details. At minutes past 8:00 on Sunday night, 62 year old Candido Fuentes, resident of Libertad Village, was riding his bicycle back home in Libertad Village Corozal District when he was knocked down by an oncoming vehicle travelling in the same direction between miles 77 and 78 on the Philip Goldson Highway. Fuentes was knocked down by this gold in colour Toyota Camry bearing License plate CZL C 01053 driven at the time by 24 year old Nester Juan Sosa from San Narciso Village Corozal. Reports are that Sosa collided into the rear of Fuentes' white beach cruiser which had neither lights nor reflectors. When police arrived at the scene Fuentes' body was observed in the middle of the highway, his bicycle laid next to him. The 62 year old died on the way to the Corozal Community.

Dead Body Floating In The Sea Identified
On Friday nights newscast we reported on a dead body that was found floating in the sea near the Rainbow Beach Area in Corozal Town. Tonight the news is that the body has been identified as that of 44 year old Hernan Lazaro, a resident of Diego Street in Corozal Town. At about 10:00am on Friday last, Corozal Police visited Rainbow Beach Park in Corozal Town where a Hispanic male person dressed only in a long Khaki pants was seen floating in the sea about 150 feet away from the sea wall. The body was observed with a small cut wound on the left eyebrow and abrasions to the left cheek and chin. Lazaro was known to most as "sucio" and would do the daily errands for his neighbors. Today as we headed north, we spoke to Henry Marroquin, one of Lazaro's friends, who last saw him alive on Thursday December 13th. Henry Maroquin- Friend of Hernan Lazaro "I gave him a shirt and he tear it up and then he started talking about the killing of a little girl and the man is coming for us and this and that then I notice that the man is out if his sense." Hernan Lazaro was a regular alcohol consumer but was appreciated by all his neighbors. We understand that on Thursday he was transported to the Corozal Community Hospital after he collapsed on the street near his home.

Honourable John Briceno Sharing The Xmas Spirit
Christmas is a time when giving is more important than receiving. Every year the People's United Party Orange Walk Central Executive Committee puts great effort into organizing a Children's Party to share the joy of Christmas among the youngest of Orange Walk Central residents. Since last week Friday, the Orange Walk Central Area Representative Hon. John Brice�o has been joined by Santa Clause on a whirlwind tour taking gifts to three kids' parties; the first in San Lorenzo Housing Site, the second in the Village of San Estevan and third in the area of Union Town. Jolly Old Saint Nick made his first stop in San Lorenzo Housing Site on Friday night bearing gifts, sweets, and full entertainment for a packed audience. Santa was so comfortable with the crowd that he wasted no time in dancing and playing musical chairs with the kids. And then it was time for the kids to eat their way to the many gifts that Santa brought from the North Pole. As every year it was a total rush when the time came to give out the goodies bag. Luckily there was more than enough and no child was left out. At the end of the night, two lucky winners walked away with a DVD player and a microwave.

Guishany Wagner Murdered In Belize
here were three murders in Belize City over the weekend including that of 22 year old Guishany Fred Wagner from Orange Walk Town. Last night Wagner and a 16 year old minor from Belize City were standing on Orange Street in front of the Salvation Army Primary School when they were approached by male person of dark complexion who fired several shots at their direction. The bullets fatally wounded Wagner as he was shot on the back, head and hands while the 16 year old minor was injured on the left foot and right side of the chest. Wagner was no stranger to the law.

Winning Your Way To Free Fuel Only With Shell
T'is the season to be merry, that's what Christmas, is all about. But how can we be when times are this hard, right? Well, sharing some of the season's joy is one usual generous company. Shell One Stop started off two Christmas promotions which have been giving back tons of gifts and prizes to customers. To begin with the Christmas promotion, Shell Orange Walk is raffling one Christmas Hamper every Friday during the month of December. The first lucky winner was selected this past Friday and it was no other than Raul Osorio of number 2 Lyle Street Orange Walk Town. Remember you can also be the lucky winner of a Christmas Hamper raffled every Friday during the month of December if you purchase $30.00 fuel or more at Shell or one quart of Felix HX 7 Oil or one quart Felix Ultra. The second promotion is the Drive In To Win Raffle. For every $30.00 fuel spent at Shell or for every quart of Felix HX 7 Oil or one quart Felix Ultra you purchase, you get a chance to win one year supply of fuel as first prize, six months supply of fuel as second prize and three months supply of fuel as third prize. The mega prizes will be raffled in the month of February.

Posted By: Marty Re: Today's Belize News: December 19, 2012 - 12/19/12 03:11 PM

More News: Scroll up from here

LOVE TV

Two weekend murders in Lord's Bank village
A high school student was shot dead on Sunday night in Lord's Bank village. The killing of the teenager was homicide for the weekend in the quiet community. Love TV's Marion Ali reports.

Murder on Cemetery Road
The weekend's bloodshed was not confined to the Lord's Bank area. In Belize City a man was struck down by a murderer's bullet in front of a church on Cemetery Road.

Shooting at a crowded park sent people scurrying for safety
A social event in Belize City was interrupted by gun play and violence on Saturday night. The frightening occurrence added to the weekend's already crime ridden atmosphere.

Taiwan helps with computer assisted literacy project
The Republic of China, Taiwan has gifted over three hundred thousand dollars to Restore Belize for implementation of a computer assisted learning program. The symbolic handing over of one hundred computers and the software to facilitate this bold new approach to literacy was done this morning in Belize City. Mary Vasquez is the program manager for Restore Belize. Vasquez says this project will usher in a new phase in literacy competency for Belize. Taiwan's ambassador to Belize David Wu said that his government is pleased to partner with its diplomatic ally in this way to help in Belize's crime-fighting initiative. The software program which will be used in the program was acquired through a partnership with the Canadian-based Literacy Without Borders organization. Executive Director Randy Boissonnault expressed confidence that the Computer Assisted Learning Solution software will make a huge difference in literacy for Belize.

Football Federation boss laments damage caused to MCC Grounds
The Football Federation of Belize is once again raising concerns over the continued use of the pitch at the MCC Grounds for activities other than sports. Last Friday night a concert was held at the ground and today we spoke with president of the FFB, Ruperto Vicente. Love News has sought, without success, to get comments from the Ministry of Sports about this weekend's destruction caused at the MCC Grounds.

Government vehicle destroyed in George Price Highway crash
There was a horrific crash just before dawn on the George Price Highway. When Love News arrived on the scene at the corner of the George Price Highway and Fabers Road, a salvage vehicle was in the process of pulling the crashed pickup truck out of the drain alongside the road and hauling it away. The vehicle was extensively damaged and best information to the RSV Media Centre suggests that the pickup truck, believed to be a government vehicle, was heading into Belize City from Belmopan sometime before four o'clock on Saturday morning when it went out of control and overturned. Love News has been unable to ascertain who was driving the vehicle or who its occupants were. But a credible source tells the News Centre that the driver of the vehicle was the younger brother of a Belize City based government Minister. Our reporter who went to the scene did not see any license plates on the vehicle because these had been removed earlier. We note that the police press officer has not provided any report on the accident, which by all accounts did not result in serious injury to any of its occupants.

Libertad man knocked down and killed
The accident that the police press officer did report happened on the Phillip Goldson highway in the Corozal district and claimed to life of a resident of Libertad village. The victim has been identified as sixty two year old Candido Fuentes. According to police reports, Fuentes was riding his beach cruiser bicycle on the highway between miles seventy seven and seventy eight, when he was knocked down from behind by a car. The driver of the vehicle, twenty four year old Nestor Juan Sosa, told police that around eight o'clock last night, he collided into Fuentes, saying that he was in the middle of the road and that the bicycle had no lights or reflectors. Sosa says that he stopped to render aid, and that Fuentes was rushed to the Corozal community hospital via ambulance where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Police have since taken a urine sample from Sosa who lives in San Narciso village, Corozal, and have impounded his car. Police investigations continue.

Parolee found guilty of carnal knowledge
Fifty-five year old Winston Dennison, a woodcarver, who was on parole for a conviction of manslaughter, was found guilty of three counts of carnal knowledge today in the court of Justice Troadio Gonzalez. The jury of five men and four women deliberated about three hours before it arrived at its verdict which was unanimous. Justice Gonzalez has deferred sentencing until Friday, December 21 in order to give Dennison time to prepare a plea for mitigation. The first incident occurred in April, 2010. The virtual complainant, who was 14 years and 9 months old at the time, testified that Dennison came to her and begged her to have sex with him while he rubbed her leg. She said she agreed. She said that the second incident occurred on August 22, 2010 and the third incident occurred on August 24, 2010. Dennison gave a statement from the dock in which he denied that he committed the offences. Dennison was not represented by an attorney. Crown Counsel Thalia-Megan Francis represented the prosecution.

Unemployed man caught trying to dispose of a loaded firearm
Twenty-four year old Nelson Martinez, an unemployed of West Street, was charged with kept firearm and ammunition without a gun license when he appeared in court today. Martinez pled not guilty to the charges. Senior Magistrate Sharon Fraser explained to him that the court cannot offer him bail because of the nature of the offences. She remanded him into custody until January 28, 2013. The incident occurred yesterday. The police reported that they were on mobile patrol on West Street when they saw, Martinez who was in his yard, throw a bag over a fence into his neighbor's yard. The police said that when they retrieved the bag it contained one black Glock nine millimetre pistol with a magazine that contained 14 rounds of ammunition. As a result, Martinez was taken into custody and charged. The firearm and ammunition were labeled as exhibits.

Weekend shooting incidents kept police busy
There were also a number of other shootings that occurred in Belize City over the weekend, one that have left a seventeen year old recuperating with gunshot wounds. The Police Press Officer, Raphael Martinez, shared the details. The other shooting happened on Saturday night at about 9:30. There was a third shooting in Belize City that has left 19 year old Yasmin Dominguez of Partridge Street with a gunshot wound to the right side of the upper abdomen. Police say that Dominguez and his brother-in-law, 29 year old Hezron McLaughlin were riding on separate bicycles on Glenn Street an upon reaching in-front Cairo Street two men approached them and fired five shots at them. Police have no leads.

Annual Governor General Christmas party held at Government House
Governor General, Sir Colville Young, this past weekend hosted his annual Christmas party for children. The venue for the event was the Belize City House of Culture. A communiqu� from Belize House says that the Head of State hosted one hundred and fifty children to the traditional event. Each child attending the party received a present from Sir Colville, along with a bag of party favors to take away. Sir Colville wishes to thank all those who gave generously of their time or made donations to make this year's Christmas party a joyful event for the children.

Policemen accused of corruption in Orange Walk
Two police officers stationed in Orange Walk are tonight in detention, accused of corruption. Information received at the RSV News Centre indicates that the officers are accused of an early Saturday morning attack on a fisherman and furthermore, of stealing money from the man who is alleging police wrongdoing. Preliminary investigations so far indicate that around two thirty on Saturday morning, Lisandro Sanchez was socializing at the Butchie's nightclub when two police officers accosted him, dragged him out of the establishment and pushed him into a pickup truck. The two policemen reportedly took Sanchez to the area of the Orange Walk bypass where they allegedly searched him and proceeded to beat him up. During the search, Sanchez alleges that the officers took away ten thousand, six hundred dollars which he had in his possession. Sanchez says that he managed break free from his attackers and ran all the way to the police station where he reported his ordeal to the authorities. Police went looking for the two policemen and were able to catch up with one, while the other eventually handed himself in to authorities. Investigations continue.

PlusTV

Male teacher from Placencia accused of having sex with teenage boys
A teacher from the south is being accused of having sex with teenage boys. Information is very sketchy at this time...

Lucky Store was the target of an attempted robbery
Lucky Store was the target of an attempted robbery this morning. Around 9:30 am a man entered the grocery shop loca...

Belize City man discovered dead in his room
A Belize City man was discovered dead in his room after neighbors complained of an unpleasant odor. On Sunday aroun...

Man shot by Policeman is in Guatemala City seeking urgent medical attention
Earlier in November we told you about 53yr old Donatilo Canales who was shot by Sgt. Paulino Reyes in Valley of Pea...

Policeman's son spared from further jail time
A cop's son who was convicted on December 6, 2012 was today spared from further jail time after he was imposed a no...

New Police Station inaugurated in the Maya Beach area of Placencia
A new Police Station was inaugurated in the Maya Beach area of Placencia in the Stann Creek District. This past wee...

Belmopan Active Youths to form Marching Band
Belmopan City Councillor Anna Guy is the director of a youth initiative called Belmopan Active Youths -BAY. The gro...

COLA states official position on Belize- Guatemala Referendum
Citizens Organized for Liberty through Action (COLA) offered their official position statement on the Belize- Guate...

Purple Movement has a mission to engage the youths of Belize
The Purple Movement is an advocacy group whose mission is the engage the youths of the country to join collectively...

Nelson Martinez charged with firearm offences
24 year old Nelson Martinez was charged for possession of an unlicensed firearm. The incident occurred on Saturday ...

Bradley's Bank is now receiving electricity
A new area of the Santa Elena Town known as Bradley's Bank is now receiving electricity. The rural electrification ...

Winston Dennison found guilty of three counts of carnal knowledge
A 55 year old man, already on parole for a manslaughter conviction, was found guilty of three counts of carnal know...

A man was fined for gang membership
A man was fined for gang membership. 32 year old Angel Antonio Ruiz confessed to police that he is a member of the ...

MSNBC in the House of Representatives
There was a US based news team in the audience at last Friday's House Meeting. But they were not just any news team...

Two men detained for attempted robbery
A laborer of Orange Walk District reported that on Sunday at 9:00pm he was at home, when he heard a noise coming fr...

Man chopped with machete while walking in Belize City
A man was chopped with a machete as he walked on a Belize City
street. A 35 year old resident of Ladyville, reporte...

Man detained in Orange Walk for aggravated assault
A man has been detained in Orange Walk following an aggravated assault. On Sunday at 9:50pm, a Carpenter of Orange ...

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Let's welcome the New Era at the Lazy Lizard!!
The last party of the year! New Years Eve!

Amandala

SANTA ARRIVES FOR SMALL BTL SHAREHOLDERS
On Friday morning in an emergency hearing via a 3-way video conference, lawyer for the Government of Belize Denys Barrow announced to the Caribbean Court of Justice that as of 8:05 a.m., they had paid out dividends to their large shareholders. The Court of Appeal had refused to extend a 3-month restraint imposed by the CCJ, which came to an end on Friday, December 14, 2012. The dividends paid out to the large shareholders - Social Security Board, Central Bank of Belize and GOB - amounted to almost $12 million. But an emergency hearing was ordered by the CCJ to review the decision of the Court of Appeal. And at that meeting, which was held at 9:00 on Friday morning, Barrow made the announcement of the dividend payments, in the presence of Eamon Courtenay, attorney for British Caribbean Bank, and Godfrey Smith, attorney for Dean Boyce and Trustee of the Employees Trust. Courtenay and Godfrey reacted to the announcement with vehement opposition. But so did the President of the CCJ, who, after hearing arguments posed by both sides, ordered GOB to put back the money into an escrow account by 2:00 p.m. Friday, and to let it remain there until they had reviewed the Court of Appeal's decision and given their own. In speaking with the press after Friday's hearing, Godfrey told reporters that the CCJ just barely fell short of holding GOB in contempt of court. He went on to say that the President informed Barrow that GOB did not act as it should have in such a matter, especially since they knew that an emergency hearing was to be held concerning this issue.

TERRIBLE CHRISTMAS FOR 2 LORDS BANK FAMILIES
Businessman and student murdered over the weekend. Otto Peterson, 69, owner of the Lords Bank Laundry and Grocery Store as well as former owner of the Oasis Bar at Mile 5 on the Philip Goldson Highway, and Dane Bodden, Jr., 15, of Ladyville Technical High School, were both shot dead in Lords Bank - Peterson on Saturday by thieves during an attempted robbery in his store, and Bodden on Sunday while riding on his bicycle on the Lords Bank Road towards the highway. Police say that on Saturday, December 15, at about 8:30 p.m., they went to Lords Bank to Peterson's grocery store, and found that he had been shot in his chest and head. He was rushed to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital (KHMH) in a private vehicle, but he died on the way. An investigation by police revealed that at about 8:25 p.m., two men went into the store to rob Peterson. Police said that there was a struggle, during which the gunmen fired several shots at Peterson, hitting him in the chest and the head. The gunmen then ran out of the store. Upon their arrival at the crime scene, police searched the area, but the shooters were nowhere to be found. The officers did, however, retrieve two 9mm expended shells in the store.

WINSTON DENNISON, 55, GUILTY OF 3 COUNTS OF CARNAL KNOWLEDGE OF MINOR, 14
Dennison told his victim: "You are the only woman for me!" Today, Winston Dennison, 55, was found guilty on all three counts of carnal knowledge after it was alleged that he had engaged in sexual intercourse with a minor on three different occasions. In the trial, part of which was held en camera, the victim, who was 14 years and 9 months at the time, testified that while at Dennison's house, sometime between April 8 and 30 of 2010, Dennison propositioned her for sex. He allegedly told the victim, "Please, I am nothing without you. You know how hard it is to be around someone you love and cannot touch them?" After hearing his "love pleas", she told the court she got "vexed" and agreed to it. She further stated that Dennison then took off her clothes, his clothes, performed oral sex on her, and proceeded to have sexual intercourse with her. After they had sex, they both went to sleep on the bed. The victim continued that on August 22, 2010, Dennison again came to her requesting sex. This time, he told her: "You are the only woman for me! Only you can satisfy me!" Dennison used the same methods of sex as he did on the first occasion, and it was again repeated two days later on August 24, 2010.

CHRISTMAS TERROR IN BTL NORTHSIDE PARK
Gangs clash in the park; almost 1,000 terrified revelers flee the gunfire The unthinkable has occurred, and a miracle also happened - a week and a half before Christmas, with the police seemingly out of the loop, shooting between two rival gangs erupted in the BTL Northside Park on Newtown Barracks during a concert, the Christmas Park Fest, at about 11:45 p.m. on Saturday, December 15, and while the bullets were flying, in attendance were almost a thousand people, including men, women and children. Mercifully, according to police, only one person was shot, and no one was killed, although six people were subsequently stabbed during the revelers' frantic attempt to escape the terror and the shooting. The area of the park, for revenue collection of $5 per person, had been blocked off on the south by the Ex-Servicemen's League almost opposite Princess Hotel, and on the north by MJ Grand, almost opposite Marina Towers. In the clash that erupted between the two Belize City gangs, during which there were three shootings at the park, Gregory Jones, 21, of Bocotora Street, was shot in the left side of the neck; Tulio Caceres, 28, of Taylor's Alley, was stabbed in the right side of the abdomen and cut on the right hand; David Cabral,16, also of Taylor's Alley, was stabbed in the left side of the abdomen; Kareem Smith, 16, also of Taylor's Alley, was stabbed in the left side of the back and in the right side of the abdomen; and Dillon Diamond, also of Taylor's Alley, was stabbed twice in the left side of the back.

SAN ANTONIO FC OF COROZAL IS INTER-DISTRICT CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS 2012
The Finals of the FFB's Inter-District Champion of Champions 2012 climaxed yesterday at the Ricalde Stadium in Corozal Town where home standing San Antonio FC prevailed in penalties over Benguche FC to take the title after they had ended regulation in an aggregate tie, and overtime was scoreless. Game 1 of the home-and-away Final series was won, 4-2, last Sunday, December 9, by Benguche FC at the Carl Ramos Stadium in Dangriga. Yesterday, on their home turf in Corozal, San Antonio FC pulled off the needed 2 goal margin of victory with their 3-1 win on goals by Russell Cassanova (21' & 90') and Everal Bodden (60'). Benguche's only goal was by Shanti Castillo (58'). Trailing by a 2-1 margin in the waning moments of the match, Benguche was ever so close to the championship; but Cassanova's last minute goal (90') saved the day for his team, as it created an aggregate tie, 5-5, thus forcing overtime. After the scoreless 30 minutes of overtime, the championship was decided by penalty shootout, where San Antonio prevailed, 4-1, with goals from Johann Clavel, Russell Cassanova, Darnell Mossiah and Christian Pena. Benguche missed 2 of their first 3 attempts, to end the shootout. For Benguche, Eric Vasquez, Jr. missed; Kenton Flores scored; and then Leroy Garcia missed, and it was over for the boys from the south.

FROM THE PUBLISHER
About thirty years ago, Leroy Taegar explained to me that the United States Defence Department had bought out Belize. He said that this was it, so to speak, for the Creole people of Belize, and that we would become like the flavor in a soup, which is to say, people would be able to taste us, but we would be, like, invisible. These were things I really didn't want to hear, and so I would find ways to move these conversations away from the above subjects. Leroy, however, never deviated from these positions over the next three decades, and he would go back to these theses over and over again. In retrospect, we can see that the peak of the Creole people here would have been in the five or seven years before Hattie in 1961, and the five or seven years afterwards. There had been a journey upwards we had begun after being captured and enslaved in West Africa, and transported in the holds of sailing ships across the Atlantic Ocean. After centuries of work, our ancestors had been freed of the iron chains in 1838, but after that it became a question of fighting against mental slavery, and division. Between 1954 and 1961, for argument's sake, we had reached our highest point of family structure, community consciousness, and social pride. The international symbol of our pride was the lightweight boxer Ludwig Lightburn, who was British Empire and Commonwealth lightweight champion and reached no. 3 in the world rankings. He could easily have been world champion if he had been given a shot at the title. The thing about Ludwig was that, as proud as we Belizeans were of him, it may be said that we took him for granted. What I mean is that we were not overwhelmed by his success. We took it in stride because in those days we were, overall, confident as a people.

BANDITS AND POLICE THROUGH TO PLB FINALS
Placencia Assassins 0:0 Belmopan Bandits Belize Defence Force 0:0 Police United. Both weekend Premier League of Belize (PLB) semifinals Game 2 ended scoreless (0-0), so the previous week's winners, Belmopan Bandits and Police United, emerged aggregate winners of their series, and thus have each earned a spot in the championship Final, to begin this coming Sunday. On Saturday night, it was Placencia Assassins coming into the capital city to try and overturn a 1-0 defeat they had suffered at the Michael Ashcroft Stadium the previous week at the hands of the Belmopan Bandits. The Assassins brought out their veteran big game star Stephen Lopez in goal, and he succeeded in keeping the Bandits scoreless; but they were likewise unable to shake the net of their opponents, ably guarded by no less than Woodrow West, the final gatekeeper of a very stingy Bandits defense. It was an intense contest, in which Placencia coach David "Rat" Torres used his 3 substitutions in quick succession early in the 2nd half, trying to get a goal. The heavy dew added to a patchy clay surface to make the ball and the turf slippery at times, causing some difficulty for strikers at both ends. But no goals favored the Bandits, whose 1-nil win in Independence stood up to give them the series victory.

Editorial: BTL ARROGANCE
The BTL board of management must be careful to keep the company's nose clean, one reason being that BTL was taken over in the name of the Belizean people, and another reason being that they owe the owner for this company and have not yet paid him a cent in compensation. It is true that the BTL owner, Lord Michael Ashcroft, was/is a predator and so on and so forth, and it is also true that he is claiming an exorbitant amount for the company, but that does not give the BTL board the right to behave as if they are John McAfee or someone from outer space. The dance hall promotion held at the MCC Grounds on Friday night, December 14, in the name of Digicell, a BTL subsidiary or some such, was a crazy package which should be analyzed. The media organs of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition - the People's United Party, are always telling us how to do our business at Kremandala. In this specific matter, we think the responsibility lies on them to untangle this web, which featured BTL being involved in at least two situations which will become more embarrassing as the truth is exposed. The first situation has to do with a Digicell anniversary promotion which went crazy extravagant and committed a hundred thousand dollars to several foreign entertainers. Only after remonstrations were a few token Belizeans added to the package. The second situation has to do with the nationalized BTL, through the Digicell promoter, wreaking havoc on the football playing surface of the MCC Grounds, the home of "the beautiful game" in the nation's population center. The reason we think the matter requires the attention of the Opposition PUP is that they have the lawyers and accountants who know how these corporations are run. They also have access to their good friend, Lord Michael, who would be only too glad to assist them.

Blogs

Seven Reasons Why the World Won't End This Week
Lack of data - there is simply not enough data to support the conjectures. The Spanish conquistadors had embarked upon a very successful campaign to destroy Maya libraries and repositories of information, leaving very little real information about their future views. Contradictory - Dr Awe pointed out significant contradictions in apocalypse scenarios. Manipulated - Dr Awe gave examples of how what little data that does exist was often manipulated to support various conjectures. Scholars disagree - In his presentation, Dr Awe noted that virtually all respected Mayanists, archaeologists, universities and scholars disagreed with the doomsday conjectures. The Maya never mention destruction on December 21 2012 - According to Dr Awe and colleagues such as noted author Dr Mark Stone, while the ancient Maya did record the date of December 21 2012 on their highly accurate calendars, they never linked that date with destruction. The Maya calendar actually continues to 4772AD - Far from ending on December 21, 2012, which marks the completion of the 13th Bak'tun, or cycle of time, examples of Maya dates up to 4772AD exist. The 2012 Winter Solstice was not significant - Dr Awe said one would expect that an event of such importance as the end of the world would be given significance by the ancient Maya and while recorded, the solstice was never given any real significance.

The Long and Winding Road in Ambergris Caye, Belize
'The Long and Winding Road' in today's headline is inspired by the song by The Beatles which was released in 1970 and was a track from the 'Let It Be' album. It made number one in the UK and US charts and was the group's last number one in the US. So why did I choose this song ? The road from the northern side of the bridge to our build in Ambergris Caye,Belize is not that long. At half a mile I would say ( can't be precise because our golf cart doesn't have a mileometer) it cannot be described as long. It does wind a bit though and that is reason enough for me. Plus, I think it is a great song. The road ahead immediately ahead of us after crossing the bridge. The next stretch takes us to the beginning of Reef Village.

International Sources

Fleeing the Daily Grind of the Office to Belize
Last Saturday Emily Stone went diving for conch in the morning. She ate that conch for lunch. Not everyone does that on their day off, but that's life in Belize. At just 25 years old, Emily made a decision it takes most people years to make. She was working 50 plus hours a week in a stuffy office building in Boston. Although her work in the field of environmental advocacy was interesting, Emily realized she was settling into a typical career path of long hours and little sunshine. She wanted something more� She joined up with the founder of Maya Mountain Cacao, Alex Whitmore, who was developing a new way of sourcing cacao (used to make chocolate)-organically, sustainably and at a fairer price to farmers-in the Toledo District of Belize. Emily walked away from her office job in Boston and moved to Belize. She rented a two-bedroom, ocean-view apartment for $150 per month in the town of Punta Gorda in the southernmost district of Belize. She rarely spends more than $10 on a delicious meal out. "This would certainly not be possible in Boston," says Emily. "It has made bootstrapping a start-up enterprise much easier!" Maya Mountain Cacao grew 300% last year and Emily's job has transitioned into managing the growth of the business. She's tasked with keeping the business operations running smoothly, assisting with any issues the farmers may have and showing them ways to increase their crop.

Celebrate Mayan style
Contrary to popular belief, the Mayan calendar doesn't predict the world will end Friday. Take it from Tanya McNab, a Belizean cookbook author. Belize has one of the largest concentrations of Mayans living in one country. Friday will be a day to party hardy there. It's not only the last day of a Great Cycle in their rather lengthy calendar, but also the beginning of a new one. "It's a new beginning, rather than the end," McNab says in a telephone interview from her home in Belize. "People in Belize are doing celebrations in all different ways." The Central American country traces its Mayan roots to 2000 B.C. and had a Mayan population of 1 million in the 7th Century, she says. Now, the population is about 300,000. Over the centuries, the Belizean people have been influenced by 13 different cultures, McNab says. The country's cuisine shares some characteristics of Mexican dishes, but there are major differences caused, in part, by language. Unlike other Central American countries, English is the primary language in Belize, attracting English speakers from around the world. There are many people from China, as well as from Lebanon, East India and, of course, Great Britain, living in Belize. "It's really a collection of all these cultures that has given us our unique food," McNab says.

Norwegian Cruise Line announces 2014/2015 cruise deployment
Norwegian Sun will arrive in Tampa for the first time and sail seven-day Western Caribbean itineraries departing every Sunday from October 19, 2014 to April 12, 2015. Ports of call include: Roatan, Bay Islands Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. In 2014, Norwegian will return to Houston, Texas with the arrival of Norwegian Jewel, sailing a series of Western Caribbean cruises from October 11, 2014 through April 11, 2015. Ports of call include: Cozumel, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; and Roat�n, Bay Islands Honduras. Norwegian Dawn will make her debut in New Orleans on November 23, 2014, offering a series of 21 seven-day Western Caribbean cruises through April 12, 2015 with stops in Roatan, Bay Islands Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico.

The Real John McAfee: Four Hours in South Beach With the World's Most Wanted Man
For an instant, John McAfee is anonymous. He is haggard, sleep-deprived, and a bit unhinged, but anonymous. For the first time in days, there are no cops, guards, or handcuffs. No TV cameras or tape recorders or questions. But he can't escape them forever. Dressed in the same dark pinstriped suit he's been wearing since his release from a Guatemalan jail two days ago, McAfee ducks into a small sunglass shop in South Beach. "I need a disguise," he says. McAfee slips on a pair of Ray-Bans. The salesman has no idea who this overly tanned customer is. No idea that McAfee has been accused of running a heavily armed harem of sex, guns, and bath salts on a tiny island in the Caribbean. And no idea that McAfee is a "person of interest" in a bizarre murder last month in Belize. But then McAfee begins to talk, and it is instantly clear something is not right. "I need a pair of these," McAfee says, holding up the shades. "Women are always trying to stab me in the eyes with needles." McAfee, the 67-year-old millionaire antivirus software guru, is the most wanted man in the world: coveted by newscasters, Belizean authorities, and mobs of fans from Central America to South Florida. Yet for some reason he agreed to let me into the quiet center of the chaotic shitstorm his life has become. During the four hours we spent together, I heard him plead his innocence, watched him blow well over $1,000, and witnessed him hit on a half-dozen women.

Off The Beaten Path In El Pilar, Belize
If you don't intend to get to El Pilar, you don't. The Maya site is separated from the highway by miles of ranches and teak plantations, not to mention a fair bit of forest. Even if someone were to wander up the road and onto the appropriate path, there is the off-chance that they might pass through the encroaching lianas and gumbo limbo trees without noticing the ruins peaking out from underneath the soil, which rises and falls in waves. This landscape is the counterpoint to the gleaming temples nearby, a humble place that raises fundamental questions about what exactly tourists in Belize, Guatemala and Mexico are seeing when they visit more popular Maya attractions. "We need to be honest about the Maya and make sure people witness something with a level of veracity," said Dr. Anabel Ford, the University of Santa Barbara archeologist who discovered the ruins in 1983 and has maintained them amid what she calls a "forest garden" ever since. "I believe you can both show people something and have it be real. Besides, we have plenty of exposed temples already."

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board