AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: June 12, 2017 - 06/12/17 12:50 PM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: Dead Or Alive?
"Mr. Dennis, I got to have some more nails and another caulking gun," Mario said. "O.K. Go back to the bodega and see if there's anything else we need to pick up while we're at the hardware store." I hated to move off of my comfortable front porch but there was no way to avoid a trip. Mario may not be the most reliable helper I've ever hired but when he does work he's the best around. I try to keep him happy. At the store Mario greeted everyone as we walked around doing our shopping. We turned the corner of an aisle and someone called, "Hey, Mario!"

Letter to the editor: Another Great week for San Pedro
Washington University of Health and Science greatly appreciates all the time and effort placed by the San Pedro Town Council with the ongoing improvements to the streets of our beautiful island of Ambergris Caye (La Isla Bonita). San Pedro road crews have been hard to work transporting fill to low lying areas while preparing the roadways for resurfacing. The road resurfacing project ensures quality improvement not only for the town, but for all the local businesses and the families in the community as they navigate through their busy day throughout town. WUHS students have already commented and complimented on how much smoother their commute to and from campus has already improved.

Doctor Love: G.H.
Dear Doctor Love, I'm almost eighteen years old and I've been with my boyfriend for six months. I am very involved in my church and my community and I have a lot of friends. I also have an evening job and a younger sister who I help look after. My boyfriend is still in school but he's never even had a part time job and doesn't have many friends. He gets very upset when I can't see him when he wants. If I go out with friends he won't come along, then he sulks and doesn't speak to me for a long time. He refuses to have my little sister around us and thinks my mom should get someone to look after her so we can be alone. I save money and he has none and he resents my job. He texts me all the time and expects me to answer immediately, even if I am working. Right now we spend one weekend day only with each other, but when he is out of school he wants to move in together. I'm afraid he will try to control my time even more and if he doesn't have a job, I will have the responsibility of all of the bills. I love him but I don't know if I can be his only interest. /s/ G.H.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

Paulita Bedran Scholarship Winner
Our club, along with international donors and sponsors, support a scholarship program for students starting high school. The Raphael Cal Memorial scholarship supports them through four years of studies and our Scholarship Committee members are their mentors. We had seven students to celebrate last night and they are all graduating next weekend. Five students are at Sacred Heart College and two students are at St. Ignatius High School. The gift of two more years of school is given from by the Paulita Bedran Memorial Scholarship and is awarded to the graduating student with the highest grade point average over the four years. That award went to Alberto Barrera. He will be studying at Sacred Heart Junior College in the field of business. The students read thank you letters to their sponsors and were very thankful for the support of their families and Rotary."

Ladyville Health Clinic before and after! March-June 2017
Thank you, Beyond the Horizon: 2017-Belize and the Government and people of #Belize. Healthy citizens=stronger country.

The Reporter

One dead, one injured in Cotton Tree shooting
Police are investigating a shooting incident which left one man, Omar Barahona, dead and another, Alexander Brook, injured. Police say that both men were socializing in Cotton Tree village, Cayo on Saturday night, when a gunman approached them and opened fire. The gunman, described as slim built with dreadlocks, shot Barahona multiple times, though police did not disclose to what portions of the body. Brook got shot to the right calf.

Olympic day run held
Runners of all ages gathered in Belize City in front of Brodies on Regent Street today, for the annual Olympic Day Run, hosted by the Belize Olympic Association (BOA). The event, sponsored by the the International Olympic Committee, drew 250 participants, along with their families and friends, supporting the initiative. The event had four divisions that participants could run in: Infants, aged nine and under; Juniors, ages 10-17; Masters, 18 and older; and the Open - for all ages. Participants ran up Regent Street, turned on to Albert Street, went down to the Yaborough (Yabra) Cemetery and headed back towards Regent Street.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Cotton Tree resident murdered
Last night, Belmopan police visited the Western Regional Hospital after receiving information of people injured by gunshot wounds. Police observed a Hispanic man with multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead by the medical officer. He was identified as Omar Barahona, 21, of Cotton [�]

$5000 worth of items stolen from storeroom
According to police reports, on Friday June 9, Ruben Rodriguez, 49, reported that between 10:00 p.m. Tuesday and 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday, his storeroom was burglarized. Electronic items and tools were stolen to a total value of $5000. Police investigations continue. [�]

Dangriga police find weed
Dangriga police conducted anti-drug operations on Friday. Around 8:00 a.m., cops searched the residence of Aaron Nolberto, 42, of Rivas estate. At the time of the search, Keadisha Francisco, 27, was present. Police found two plastic bags containing 1,440.1 grams of cannabis. Police have since [�]

84 year old man stabbed 3 times
An elderly man was stabbed three times yesterday in Orange Walk.Police reports revealed that around midday Pablo Zenon Reyes, 84, a Belizean business man of Progress Street, was standing infront of his establishment when Nigel Guerra stabbed him once to his left forearm and twice [�]

Belize participates in Olympic Day run
This morning, members of the Belize Olympic Association gathered in front of Brodies on Regent Street, Belize city, for the annual Olympic Day Run. The event gathered around 250 participants from various disciplines including volley ball, soft ball and athletics, for a non competitive [�]

Police issue official report on ugly Orange Walk accident
Yesterday police visited Yo Creek Road about a mile from Orange Walk Town where cops saw a grey Chevrolet four door car with extensive damage on the side of the road. Investigations revealed that Iner Toloza, 36, a Belizean mechanic of Rio Bravo Street [�]

Over $100 thousand stolen from Toledo Teachers Credit Union
On Friday morning around 8:45, police received information of a burglary at the Toledo Teachers Credit Union situated in the Bella Vista Village, Toledo District. Police visited the scene where cops saw a wooden door with its metal shutter and steel burglar bars damaged. Further [�]

Missing Belize City girl found
Yesterday BBN reported of a 13-year-old student from Belize City who was reported missing. According to reports from police, Shania Martinez was found at a relative's residence in Belize City. Martinez was found safe. Police investigation continues. © 2017, BreakingBelizeNews.com. This article is the [�]

Unitedville teen missing
The family of 13 year old Sasha Turcios/ Reimer is worried.She also goes by the name Sasha Arevalo. Reimer resides in Unitedville Village, Cayo. According to reports, Reimer left home yesterday while her parents were working. They believe she may be in the company of [�]

Posted By: Marty Re: Today's Belize News: June 12, 2017 - 06/12/17 12:50 PM

Blogs

THE OFFICE BAR & GRILL SAN PEDRO, BELIZE
When you tell a friend your favorite place to go is "The Office", you typically get some awkward stares. Yes, I live on an island in Belize and my favorite place to go is "The Office". Tucked away on the lagoon side, just a block or so behind the airport is a quaint little bar and restaurant on the edge of the water. A great place to catch the game, with drink specials every night. You can relax, meet some awesome people, listen to music, watch fishing boats leave for the day and catch some awesome sunsets. However, the best of all is the unbelievable food and coldest beer I have found on the island. Obviously, you will find bar food that goes great with a cold beer, but you can also get some unique items you wouldn't expect at a local bar and grill.

International Sourcesizz

Fairtrade Farmers Spur Big Change in Child Labor
In the small Central American country of Belize, sugar is a top export crop. More than 5,300 farming families in Northern Belize rely on income from sugar for their livelihoods. It's a volatile commodity crop that often leaves impoverished families with few options but to enlist the help of the entire family in its production. A 2015 report by the United States Department of Labor found that Belize had made minimal advancement in efforts to eliminate the worst forms of child labor. Though the country had signed ILO conventions on child labor, important gaps in the country's legal framework remained. Even before the release of that report, the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers' Association (BSCFA) with the help of FLOCERT had recognized the seriousness of child labor in the sugar sector and took action. With the support of Fairtrade International and the Latin American producer network (CLAC), BSCFA led and funded an ambitious program to safely identify and withdraw children who were already engaged in unacceptable work and prevent child labor in Belize's sugar cane industry. BSCFA has been running Fairtrade International's Youth-Inclusive Community Based Monitoring and Remediation System (YICBMR) for Child Labor since early 2015.

Belize wants closer ties with Bridgetown
Minister of Tourism and Culture in Belize Manuel Heredia is eager to form closer ties with Barbados in the area of marketing and airlift. The long-serving politician told Barbados TODAY that Bridgetown remains a close friend of Belmopan, and he believes there are "many good things" that can be done between to two nations when it comes to tourism. "One, is the airlift, which I believe can be done either directly or probably through Cuba, Barbados, Belize. Also there is a possibility of marketing together. There are many things we have in Belize for example on the archeological side that you don't have in Barbados, but there are also things that Barbados has that Belize doesn't have. And as Caribbean sisters I believe that we should open doors for making sure we can do things together," said Heredia.

Caribbean health facilities to be made disaster resistant
The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) said it has selected 16 hospitals and health centers in seven Caribbean countries to make them safer, greener and more resilient to natural disasters. PAHO said on Wednesday that the initiative will be undertaken within the framework of the Smart Health Care Facilities Project, backed by UKaid, the UK Department for International Development (DFID). The project is implemented through PAHO's Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Relief Department, in partnership with the Ministry of Health in each target country.

Videos

• 2017 Belize Vacation staying at The Phoenix at San Pedro Belize, 17min. A video Scrapbook of our June 2-9, 2017 Vacation to San Pedro Belize. We Stayed at Trip Advisor Top Rated Resort for the Island, The Phoenix.

• Belize Very own Lord Rahburn live @ Belize Music Week, 3min.

• Ribbon Cutting for Clinic in Ladyville, Belize, 1min. Ribbon cutting ceremony held for clinic expansion in Ladyville, Belize as part of Beyond the Horizon 2017.

• Tropical Ecology in Belize, 7.5min. This video was filmed on USM's Tropical Ecology in Belize study abroad program. This trip was two weeks long, and we spent most of this time in Belize. However, we also went to Guatemala for two days to visit Tikal and see the ruins there. Notable places that we visited include Cockscomb Basin and Wildlife Sanctuary, Martz Farm, Tikal, and Turneffe Atoll.

• Snapper caught in Belize 2017 on underwater cave, 2min.

• Belize: Cahal Pech Maya Ruins, 4.5min.

• WE SWAM WITH GIANT SHARKS - BELIZE, 10min.

• Belize Summer Study Abroad 2017, 6min. Here's a little compilation we put together depicting our 2 week Tropical Marine Ecology and Conservation course taken through the organization CELA Belize. Hope you enjoy!
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board