AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: July 9, 2018 - 07/09/18 12:09 PM

I will be unable to do the daily news tomorrow, Tuesday July 10. I will return on Wednesday morning.

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

San Pedro's Guillermo Rodriguez at 2018 'KTV the Remix' competition
The 15 finalists competing for this year's 'KTV the Remix' song/karaoke competition were revealed on Tuesday, July 3rd. Among those 15 finalists is San Pedro's very own 21-year-old Guillermo Rodriguez. 44 persons from across the country auditioned in late May, however only the top best 15 were able to make it to live shows of the competition. KTV the Remix is a singing competition that takes place every Tuesday night at 8pm at the Bliss Center for Performing Arts in Belize City. Each week the participant with lowest votes is eliminated from the competition.

Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. new president of Central American Integration System (SICA)
Belize's Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation Honorable Jose Manuel Heredia Jr, was appointed as the new president of the Central American Integration System (S.I.C.A.) at the CVIII Ordinary Meeting of the Central American Council of Tourism Ministers (C.C.T.) and the XII Ordinary Meeting of the Central American Tourism Promotion Agency (C.A.T.A.). The meetings took place on Wednesday, June 27th and Thursday the 28th at Puerto de Plata City in the Dominican Republic.

Doctor Love: Letting go of envy and appreciating what you have
Dear Doctor Love, I am a fourteen year old girl and I live with my mom and two younger brothers. There isn't much money to get what mom calls luxuries, so I don't have a cell phone and I wear my clothes until they are either too small or worn out. I get jealous of the girls who have pretty things and I am embarrassed when I go somewhere and I am so badly dressed. I don't want to be jealous so how can I stop looking at what they have and wanting it? /s/Envious

Ambergris Today

Three Men Arrested And Charged For Shooting Of Cliff Kirk
Police have arrested and charged Christian Espat (22-year-old Belizean, Fisherman of San Pedro), Nigel Williams (25-year-old, Belizean, self employed of San Mateo) and a 16-year-old Belizean minor of San Mateo, jointly for Aggravated Burglary, Attempt Murder, Dangerous Harm and use of deadly means in the case of the shooting of Cliff Kirk on July 5, 2018, in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize. An update on Kirk was posted on July 7, 2018 at 7:30p.m. indicating that he was transported to Goldson International Airport to be airlifted to John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore Maryland. He was accompanied by his wife Linda Kirk who retired as a Full Colonel from the US Army before moving to Belize. Cliff was stable but is in critical condition.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

The Belize Red Cross is working with the Caribbean Zika Project for KAP (Knowledge, Attitude, and Practices) to raise awareness and prevention of Zika
The Corozal District has the highest recorded number of confirmed Zika cases in all of Belize. Surveys will be conducted in the following communities in the following week to collect baseline data. Volunteers will be wearing Belize Red Cross vests and have identification. Thanks for your participation.

PATCHAKAN COROZAL - RETIRED TEACHER, INEZ MEDINA ATTACKED AND BEATEN
Inez Medina, 57, a retired teacher of Patchakan, was beaten by a man who was lay-waiting him in his yard at about 10:00 p.m. July 4th. The man punched and kicked Medina, and elbowed him in the face, but he ran away when Medina's son drove up. Police said that Medina had just driven into his yard and was exiting his vehicle to go into his house, when the man came out of the dark and atacked him. The residents of Patchakan told police that they are concerned about the incident, because there is a group of men in the village who are terrorizing them.

YASIN INTERNATIONAL BURGLARIZED, BURGLARS TUNNEL THROUGH WALLS
Ali Ahmad Mourad, the manager of a free zone business, Yasin International Company and a resident of Corozal Town reported to Police that about 7:00 p.m. Tuesday night July, 3rd he secured his store in the Corozal Commercial Free Zone and his employee and he went home. When they went back to work about 7:00 a.m. on the morning of Wednesday, July 4th, he was told that there was a hole in the zinc wall of his establishment.

The Reporter

3 arrested for near-fatal home invasion in San Pedro
Police have arrested three people - two men and a minor - for the near fatal home invasion last Thursday which left San Pedro resident, Cliff Kirk, recovering from a gunshot wound to the head. Police have charged San Pedro residents, Christian Espat, 22; Nigel Williams, 25, and a 16-year-old boy. They were charged jointly for 'aggravated burglary', 'attempted murder', 'dangerous harm' and 'use of deadly means of harm'.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

FCD sees reduction in illegal harvesting of Xate
The Friends for Conservation and Development (FCD) today issued a press release which painted a positive picture of the xate stocks in the Chiquibul National Park. According to the release, for the third time, a field research was done of the xaite (chamaedorea) stocks in the Chiquibull National Park. [�]

Belize City Council launch summer tournament
The Belize City Council yesterday held a basketball marathon at the Bird's Isle basketball court. The event, organized by Councilor Micah Goodin, saw the turnout of teams from every constituency in the old capital. [�]

Trump cuts funding for Climate Change Center in Belize
The U.S. government, under President Donald Trump's administration, has cut aid and funding for many initiatives started by the previous Obama-administration, including funding from the Caribbean Community Climate Change Center (5Cs), a small research center based here in Belize. [�]

Two men and minor charged for shooting incident in San Pedro
Police have today charged two men and a minor in connection with an incident that left American National Cliff Kirk with a gunshot wound to the head Christian Espat, Nigel Williams, 25, and a 16-year-old minor have all been charged jointly for 'Aggravated Burglary, Attempt Murder, Dangerous Harm and use of deadly means'. [�]

International Sourcesizz

How the Welcoming People of Belize Make Me Feel at Home
I have lived in Belize over five years now, and somehow feel that I have become a little more like the people of this country than those of my own. We never really lose who we are culturally, but I do believe we assimilate to some degree. I noticed this recently when I was waiting for an international flight at the Belize airport, and I gravitated to Belizeans more than other people. I realized that I knew what to expect when I spoke to a Belizean. I could expect a smile when I smiled, a crafty sense of humor, and wholehearted helpfulness. My husband, Marcos, is Belizean and spent 17 years of his adult life with me in the U.S. His ethnicity is Hispanic, African (Creole), Mayan, Lebanese, and Chinese. This is actually a common mixture, and is indicative of the influences of different cultures in Belize. Ethnic and cultural diversity are the hallmarks of Belizean society, and provide a path to tolerance, understanding, and general goodwill. Add to this a large Mennonite population (who provide most of the dairy produce and poultry in the country) and many expats of European descent, and you have quite the melting pot.

Videos

• Fire in San Pedrito Area that's seems to have been put under control, 8min.

• Dolphins - Belize, 1min.

• Belize Dodge Vacation 2018, 45min.

• BELIZE VACAY 2018, 10min.

• Belize unitedville bridge get flood after heavy rain, 2min. Heavy rain bring flood in Georgeville

• Adventuring in Belize, 4min.
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board