AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: May 13, 2019 - 05/13/19 12:29 PM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and other specials

The San Pedro Sun

Letter to the Editor: Congestion on roads not designed for large vehicles
Dear Editor, I refer to an article in your May 3, 2019 issue concerning the San Pedro´s Traffic Department objection to electric motorized scooters. As a long time tourist to your beautiful island I would have thought the congestion, in the main, is caused by the over invasion of a resort facility by motor vehicles specially as the roadways in San Pedro town were not and are not designed to meet this continued increase, place taxis within the rank also. Not only do these vehicles speed around the narrow streets but also have little training.

Wolfe's Woofer: Eulogy
"I have to deliver the eulogy at a funeral this afternoon," Tom said, "but after that I have two days free. I hoped we could do some fishing." Tom and I met years ago when he was a novice priest just arriving to the country and we became good friends. His mission called him away to the mainland but we still stayed friends, visiting each other at least once every two months or so. "I'd love to go fishing. Who is the eulogy for?"

Healthy and affordable eating with Ms. Gotay Fruits, Vegetables and Groceries Shop
Since Ms. Gotay Fruits, Vegetables and Groceries Shop opened its doors in March of 2013, island residents and visitors have been enjoying fresh fruits, vegetables, and groceries at really affordable prices. New supplies arrive daily, from the basic local fruits like bananas, oranges, papayas and watermelons to imported apples, grapes and even exotic fruit like pomegranates, kiwi, strawberries and more. Ms. Gotay has made it her mission to provide her clients with a delicious variety. That includes a big selection in the vegetable department as well! Customers will not be surprised to find bundles of fresh asparagus alongside fresh callaloo! With the recent addition of a groceries section, Ms. Gotay Fruits, Vegetable and Groceries Shop has become a one-stop convenience store.

Doctor Love: Defining good manners
Dear Doctor Love, I don't make my child say "please," "thank you" or "I'm sorry" and I don't correct him if he doesn't use the expected appropriate response. It's not that I am opposed. I say please and thank you but I believe we use these words thoughtlessly. I teach him empathy and appreciation so he understands when to say please and why it is important in some situations and not in others. This became a topic of debate when my son asked a friend to return his toy. That child's mother reminded my son to "say please."

Beach Brawl Mixed Martial Arts Tournament coming to San Pedro beaches
Caribbean Villas beachfront located south of San Pedro Town will be the setting for the upcoming Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) event set for Friday, May 17th starting at 7:30PM. The fight night, dubbed 'Beach Brawl' will see 12 matches, featuring nine Belizean fighters and 15 from Mexico competing in various categories. The event will conclude with two main events comprising of a female championship fight in the Straw Weight Championship followed by a male match for the Light Weight title.

Misc Belizean Sources

mzz

South Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Yard Sale! Tag Sale!
Our yard sale / tag sale / cheap sale was such a success today that we are now calling it the First ANNUAL Sale. Like always, the neighborhood came together with donations, hard work and sweat to raise over $6,000 BZD! The final and audited total is not in just yet - but THANK YOU!!! We will announce the final tally after all the results are in.

Denzel Flowers shit and killed in Belize City
On May 11 at 7:25 p.m., Denzel Flowers, a resident of Central American Boulevard in Belize City was shot and killed. The police say that at 7:25 p.m., while he was standing in front of a store on the boulevard, he was approached by a man who person who fired several gunshots and killed him.

This is how the Tiger Shark games look like...
Exciting days ahead!

2019 Scholarships with The Belize Bank Limited
High School and Sixth Form. Final submission date: Friday, June 14, 2019. The Belize Bank Limited continues to nurture the talents of our youth through our High School and Sixth Form Scholarship Program. Since its inception in 2012, the Bank has granted scholarships to over one hundred (100) deserving students throughout Belize.

BETEX 2019
BTB & The Community: The Belize Tourism Board is a proud sponsor for this year's BETEX trade show which is the key marketing initiative of the BTIA.

Cashew Festival 2019
This weekend was the annual Crooked Tree Cashew Festival of which the Belize Tourism Board proudly sponsored!

Belize Ma'alob K'iin
We want to congratulate the Maya village of Cristo Rey in Corozal for this beautiful monument. Maya Roots !!!

THE BIRTH OF THE MESOAMERICAN MESSIAH
May 13,895 of this era one of the most important Indigenous persons was born . He was seen as a Indigenous Messiah and his name is Ce Acatl Topiltzin Quetzalcoatl(K'uk'ulkan) . Kukulkan impacted alot in Mesoamerica we can easy consider him "The Indigenous Messiah" and Mesoamerica the "Holy land " . Some said he even did miracles but today we will honor some of the things he did while he walked through Mesoamerica . K'uk'ulkan was born in May 13,895 Under the name of Ce Acatl Topiltzin. His birth was full of tradegy because his parents where murder but also full miracle as he survive various attempts of murder while he was a baby . He assumed lordship over the Toltecs and migrated his people to Tollan. Reigning in peace and prosperity he contributed much to the lifestyle of the Toltecs with basic ideas such as civilization.

Channel 5

Fatal Shooting in the city
Police are currently processing the scene of yet a second fatal shooting in the Old Capital in less than 12 hours. Just before 10 a.m., officers responded to shots fired in downtown Belize City to find Shemar Nunez dead on Albert Street. The victim collapsed on the pavement near a bicycle. A gun was also seen beside his body. The area has since been cordoned off as residents remain stunned by the broad daylight fatal shooting. Nunez was shot during a robbery.

The Reporter

Commissioner Issues somber statement VIA FB about this morning's robbery
Commissioner of Police Chester Williams has issued a statement on Facebook following this morning's fatal shooting of Shemar Nunez. According to Williams, "the shooting was a result of a robbery and one of the robbers was fatally shot with his .45 calibre pistol in hand.

MURDER IN JANE USHER
Three persons, one of them a minor, have been detained for questioning in the murder of Denzel Flowers on Saturday night. Flowers, shot multiple times, was pronounced dead at the KHMH at 7:40pm. According to preliminary investigation, Flowers, a mechanic residing on Central American Blvd. was on his bicycle in front of T&R Grocery Store and Fast Food at 7:25pm when he was approached by a gunman who opened fire.

The Plight of Villagers and Students of Machakil Ha
Two of five children from Machakil Ha Primary School who sat Part II of the Primary School Exams, did not have to get up in the dark of night to trek to the nearest village to take them closer to their exam centre. That's because the Ministry of Education provided transport for them to reach their destination a day in advance, in order to give them time to prepare and condition their minds for the test.

Apparent Robbery On Albert Street - Robber Shot Many Times
An apparent early morning robbery on Albert Street, just after 9am this morning at Midtown Grocery has left the robber seen middle of the street on his Get-Away-Bicycle, shot several times. The robber has been taken to the K.H.M.H.

RTA On The Hummingbird Highway
A man was admitted to the Western Regional Hospital last night in critical condition after an RTA on the Hummingbird Highway. Police were called to the scene of an accident at Mile 40 where they found a vehicle with severe damages and a man identified as Harrison Tasher, 34, with injuries to the head and body.

Another Murder On Jane Usher Blvd.
Efforts by Law Enforcement officials in the Jane Usher Blvd. area has been improved in the past few months since the new commissioner took over, but unfortunately it has not completely solved the high crime rate of homicide in the area.

Are You Woman Enough ?
By Dr. Abigail - At some point in time you may have heard women having the conversation of child birth and referring to women that have had C-sections to be "less of a woman" for not having done so "Naturally". The truth is that while some women choose to have an elective C-section a large number of women are subjected to going under the knife due to complications. There is no circumstance that trumps the other when it comes to having a child.

Street Figure Found Guilty Of Threatening His Mother
Notorious George Street figure Brian Brown 42, was ordered to pay a fine of $200 dollars after he was found guilty of threatening to set his mother on fire. Brown appeared in the Belize City Magistrate's court on May 7th, where he denied committing the offence, however after reviewing the facts of the case the sitting magistrate impose a guilty verdict and ordered Brown to pay the fine before June 30th or in default spend two months in prison.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Micah Goodin launches scholarship fund
Belize City Councilor, Micah Goodin, has announced a scholarship fund. According to him, he hopes to raise $10,000 over the summer to assist tertiary level students. "I am confident we can raise $10,000 over the summer," he said.

ComPol issues statement on early morning shooting
Following a fatal shooting on Albert Street this morning, Commissioner of Police Chester Williams has clarified that the deceased was shot following a robbery. Williams explained that the deceased was in possession of a .45 caliber pistol, which is a prohibited weapon.

Man shot and killed on Mothers day
Our newsroom has confirmed that the man shot on Albert Street has passed away. He has been identified as Shemar Nunez, son of the popular, Sebastian "Sabe" Nunez.

Man survives traffic accident on Hummingbird Highway
Sometime around 10:00 last night there was a road traffic accident around mile 40 on the Hummingbird Highway. Harrison Tasher, 34, was rescued from the scene. He was observed with head and body injuries and was unable to speak.

Man shot on Albert street on Mother's day
Minutes ago there was a shooting on Albert Street in Belize City. The victim, an unidentified man who was allegedly involved in a robbery moments prior, was riding his bicycle near the 7 News office building when he was shot.

Police detain three for murder of Denzel Flowers
Last night Denzel Flowers, 27, was murdered in Belize City. Official police reports indicate that the mechanic was found with four gun shot wounds to the chest, one to the right arm and two to the left arm.

Orel Leslie survives attempt on his life
Information to BBN is that there was an attempt on the life of Orel Leslie, 30. Sometime around 5:00 a.m. today he was driving an SUV near Bocotora Street in Belize city when two men emerged. The men opened fire at him but he was able to escape unhurt

BTIA hosts BETEX 2019
Around 30 international tourism providers are in Belize this week for the 2019 Belize Tourism Expo (BETEX). The bi-annual event started on May 8 and will run up tp May 13. Unlike the previous incarnations, where resort owners and tour companies come to a central location to meet with buyers, this year's BETEX takes on a road show format, where buyers travel all over the country to see the destinations personally.

Shooting victim passes away
Our sources just confirmed that the latest murder victim is Denzel Flowers. He was in the vicinity of Jane Usher Boulevard in Belize City when he was gunned down. He was transported to the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where he was confirmed dead.

International Sourcesizz

Genomics uncovers the mystery of the magic drumstick tree-Moringa oleifera
Not all who visit Belize realize how healthy some of our plants are. Moringa is one. The moringa (drumstick) tree has medicinal value and is a rich source of nutrients and minerals. Traditionally, its parts are known to confer multiple benefits, including anti-diabetic (leaves), cardio-protective (roots), anti-fertility (roots), anti-inflammatory (roots), anti-microbial (roots), anti-oxidative (leaves, flowers), anti-obesity (leaves) effects. Additionally, the seeds have been used for water purification and as lubricant oil, among other benefits.

Videos

• Hol Chan Marine Reserve - Belize, 1.5min. A day snorkeling in the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, off the coast of San Pedro Belize.

• The World Is Yours :: San Pedro, Belize , 1min.

• A tour in Old Belize, 10min.

• Swimming with sharks in Belize, 2min. Fenn family adventures swimming with nurse sharks in Belize at shark ray alley; May 2019. At about the halfway point, I am so emersed in filming and watching the sharks that I don't notice I get way too close and then get rammed by the biggest one!

• The Lodge at Jaguar Reef, 2min.

• Ambergris Caye, 8min. Spring Break 2019 finds our extended family on an adventure to Belize! After an amazing stay in the jungle we head out to enjoy three nights on the Caribbean. We had a great stay at Xanadu Island Resort in San Pedro on Ambergris Caye.

• Cashew Festival 2019, 5min.

• Opening of Cashew Festival 2019, 5min.

• Our Yucatec Maya brothers from Sak Xikin representing Belize in the Pok ta Pok tornament in Mexico, 7min. Sak xikin is one of the Pok ta Pok teams from Yo Creek (Orange Walk).
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board