AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Today's Belize News: September 2, 2019

Posted By: Marty

Today's Belize News: September 2, 2019 - 09/02/19 12:22 PM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe’s Woofer: Insurance
“Let’s take a break from discussing insurance and test some of Sherry’s baking,” I said to Mr. Espinosa. Thursday is Sherry’s baking day. She hires Vernon’s wife Yolanda, to help her and they had an assortment of pies and cheesecakes already laid out on the big table in the dining area. Yolanda brought us each a slice of cherry cheesecake and a cup of coffee. “Thank you, Yolanda,” I said. “You’re welcome. Can I ask Mr. Espinosa about insurance?” “Of course.”

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Evaluating the status of research in Belize
A big thanks to everyone that has taken the time to fill the survey. The responses have been great and very insightful. I'd like to share once more and encourage those who haven't filled it out as yet to do so. Cathy Smith and I would appreciate if you could take a couple minutes to complete the anonymous survey below. We are looking into trends in research about/in Belize, access to research by Belizeans, and related challenges and opportunities. This came from some discussion around some missed opportunities we've seen in developing a culture of research in Belize. We believe that your feedback is important to encouraging and improving research in Belize.

The Reporter

WHERE TO WATCH – LINKS Record Setting Category 5 Hurricane 210 MPH Wind Gusts
The following are YouTube Links, some of them are LIVE STREAMS of the worst Hurricane on record. with winds at 180-190 mph. Some meteorologist have said that some of the Bahama Islands will not be there after this hurricane.

Ladyville Man Remanded for 50 Pounds of Weed
Corozal Police were able to make a sizeable haul of high-grade marijuana on Monday, August 26th when they decided to search a red Dodge van passing through Ranchito Village.

Belize Emergency Services Ready with BATSUB Simulation
A jack-knifed 18-wheeler oil tanker, an overturned tour bus, an overturned SUV and crashed cars had all the hallmarks of a multi-vehicle traffic pile-up, but there were no real injuries, nor any blood spilt, and no lives lost; for all the “injuries” and “blood” were stage make-up and props, the “spilt fuel” was actually water.

Everybody Hurts
One of the very first columns I wrote, when I decided to go public with my struggle with alcohol, was titled Everybody Hurts. To this day only God knows why I felt that writing about my nightmare would help others, and maybe help me.

Home Invasion In San Lorenzo OW – Couple Beaten
A man and his wife were badly beaten during a home invasion in San Lazaro in the Orange Walk District last night. Share This News Article On WhatsApp Three armed men entered the home of Romeo Castillo around 9:45pm while he and his wife were asleep.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Accident involving a vehicle and a motorcycle leaves one man injured
Confirmed reports to BBN is that there was a traffic accident earlier tonight in, or near, Belmopan.

Altitude is big Premier League winner; Belize stop St. Vincent in back to back friendly matches
The big western clash between Premier League co-leaders Belmopan Bandits and Verdes for this afternoon will have to wait as the League takes a back seat for the next few days to facilitate international play.

After 2 days of competition and unbeaten, the Belize Bank Bulldogs is the 2019 national softball champion
The 29th National Women’s Softball Championship ended a short while ago at Rogers Stadium, with the Belize Bank Bulldogs dealing a 10-3 whipping to the Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy team in the final to claim the 2019 championship title.

Catastrophic damage across the Bahamas caused by Category 5 Dorian
“Please pray for us,” was the plea of Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis today as Hurricane Dorian, the most powerful storm on the planet right now, hit his country earlier today.

Belize’s biggest party begins – It’s September celebrations time
The September Celebrations are here, officially launched on Saturday morning in the southernmost town of Punta Gorda, Toledo District.

It’s Belize City vs Cayo for women’s softball title
The 29th National Women’s Softball Championship is approaching climax this evening at Rogers Stadium, with the winner likely to come from either of Belize City’s entrants or the sole remaining representative of the Cayo District, the Roaring Creek Grace Kennedy.

Patrick Faber comes home, launches “Path to the Future”
Still one of the youngest area representatives and Ministers in both Belizean and party political history, Patrick Faber, 41, is preparing to make even more history.

Hurricane Dorian hits Bahamas as a Category 5 storm
Hurricane Dorian made landfall in the Bahamas this morning as a Category 5 storm, with experts calling it the “strongest hurricane in modern records”.

Blogs

On The Verge Of A Tipping Point: Why You Should Consider Belize Today
Belize’s charm is hard to put into words, but the best description might include the phrase “rustic paradise.” This is a barefoot nirvana, where you can hitch a ride on a skiff with a local fisherman for a day, then walk into a restaurant and have them cook your catch for you. You can climb Maya ruins without a guardrail in sight, or swim with whale sharks in Caribbean waters. You can see and touch ancient Maya pottery deep in a cave system, hike through the rain forest, swim in waterfalls, and jump off small cliffs into the sea without signing a waiver. All these are reasons why this tiny country seems to be on everyone’s radar recently. The LA Times rated Belize as one of its 10 top places to go in 2019. So, too, did both Lonely Planet and National Geographic. Condé Nast Traveler recently published a feature entitled, “Why You Should Go to Belize Now.”

A BUDGET-FRIENDLY BACKPACKING TRIP IN HOPKINS, BELIZE
When my mom decided to visit me along my Central America route, Belize stood out as the perfect meeting point. She was planning for an indulgent beach vacation; I was very much backpacking Belize on a budget– and this country can easily accommodate both. While I would’ve been content with stopping at any beach town along my trip, my mom was understandably a bit choosier about where she spent her limited vacation time. For her, comfortable accommodations, proximity to a beach, and (relatively) easy access to the airport were all key considerations. And in Belize, Hopkins beach and the island of Caye Caulker were the perfect stops. We could visit both without frittering too much time in transit, we wouldn’t have to worry about a language barrier, and as it turns out, the beaches were some of the most beautiful I’ve seen.

International Sourcesizz

21 filmmakers chosen for the 10th annual CaribbeanTales Market Incubator
CaribbeanTales announces the 21 filmmakers that will take part in the 10th annual CaribbeanTales Market Incubator (CTI) in partnership with The Caribbean Development Bank, Ontario Creates and Telefilm Canada, and with support from the National Film & Video Foundation of South Africa. At the annual Big Pitch, they will compete for prizes that will include an award of $10,000 for Best Caribbean Project. This year’s filmmakers come from Canada, Cuba, Trinidad, Jamaica, Belize, Haiti, and South Africa. Sixty percent of the selected filmmakers are female creators and all are producers of colour.

10 Great Things to Do on Caye Caulker | Belize
10 Great Things to Do on Caye CaulkerOff the northern coast of Belize, a short ferry ride from Belize City, are a series of barrier islands dotting the crystal clear waters. Of the islands (cayes) that you can stay on, Ambergris, with its resorts, mansions, and airport is larger and more populated. Caye Caulker is its smaller, quirkier cousin, with a lack of 4-star hotels or paved roads. There are also a whole host of things to do on Caye Caulker. Caye Caulker’s small-town vibe is just what you need for a truly unique, relaxing holiday that you can’t find anywhere else. It should 100% be one of your stops whilst travelling in Belize. Here are my recommendations of 10 great things to do on Caye Caulker.

Videos

• Flag Raising Ceremony in San Pedro, 15min.

• Caye Caulker Entrepreneurs, 9min. Inside the Creamery Ice Cream shop with Ms. Shary Trejo

• Queen Of The Bay 2019, 4hr.

• Bennys Grill Master 1, 70min.

• Bennys Grill Master 2, 30min.

• Morning Matters with Commissioner of Police Chester Williams, 60min.

• Blu-Zen resort, 7min. Blu-Zen resort is the new island temptation on the north side of Caye Caulker. Blu-Zen has officially launched Phase ll of their newly built beach front condos. The Voice of Caye Caulker was invited to the launching along with the business community of the island and we had the opportunity to hear Miss Karen Bevans from BTB speak about the appeal that Blu-Zen will bring to Caye Caulker and how investments such as these will positively Impact Belize. Blu-Zen is both a Charming and Attractive scene that once you're off the dock you immediately feel a sense of euphoria and can't help but be drawn to want to explore the area.The tourism sector is positive that this project will strengthen the island’s marketing appeal.

• St. George’s Caye Resort, 1.5min.

• DIY Bonefishing Belize at Cayo Frances Farm & FLY, 3min. Cayo Frances Farm & Fly AKA the "BOTE HOUSE" is a fantastic lodge in Belize located right in the middle of some amazing bonefish and permit flats. With deeper mangrove edges around the camp this is certainly a great place to come look for a slam.

• Beachin' Belize, 22min. A couple hunts for a permanent island of their own in Belize.

• Belize Bone - One Minute Monday, 3min. Episode 41 of one minute Monday - Thomas McLeod hooks into a bonefish in skinny water fishing from Turneffe Flats Lodge in Belize.

• Chasing Belize | 2019, 2min. Belize 2019, footage captured with DJI Mavic Pro! CHASING endless hues of turquoise in the Caribbean! Can you believe these waters just steps away from our villa? This is what we woke up to every morning at @turnefferesort and just 30 miles away from the Great Blue Hole for some of the best snorkeling and diving in the world!

• TOBACCO CAYE, Belize - Dive, eat, sleep, repeat, 4min. Tobacco Caye is a small island right at Belize's Barrier Reef. We stayed at Reef's End Lodge. They have a great dive master, amazing food and world-class cocktails. We were there for 6 days, enough time to get PADI Advanced Open Water certification and do plenty of snorkeling and relaxing. We also went on a day trip to Glover's Reef, a marine reserve with pristine corals.

• Championship Match | XXIX Women's National Softball Tournament, 2hr.

• Day 3 | XXIX Women's National Softball Tournament, 2.5hr.

• Day 3 | XXIX Women's National Softball Tournament, 2hr.

• Dolphin jumping in the clear waters of #Belize. , .5min. Kinda makes you wanna jump right in as well.
  • © 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board