AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Today's Belize News: February 17, 2020 - 02/17/20 12:38 PM

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, Reef TV, KREM, and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Belize Now, Talk Ah Di Town, and other specials.

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: How to Fly
"Close the windows before you come to bed," Sherry said. "That thunderstorm is going to break any minute." "I'll close them when I finish taking a shower," I told her. When I hurried out of the shower lightning was flashing and thunder was already booming. I rushed around closing windows and from the front window [�]

Doctor Love: A Guy
"You ask the age-old question of whether or not girls/women are as capable as men are at having casual sex. Do women form attachments easier than guys and can they separate the part of themselves that equates sex with emotional love? There isn't really a standard answer, except to say, probably not, with some exceptions."

Various Belizean Sources

mzz

Stephen Andy Kuylen Sr. passes away
We join in extending our deepest condolences to all family and friends of the late Stephen Andy Kuylen Sr. May he rest in everlasting peace and rise in glory. The late Stephen Andy Kuyylen Sr. was born 22nd March 1954 - and passed away 15th February 2020. A wake will be held this Sunday, 16th February 2020 at his residence on #17 Marigold Street, Altamira Corozal Town. Funeral Services will be held on Monday, 17th February 2020 at the St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church at 3:00 p.m.

CAWS Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic
CAWS' low cost clinics in San Ignacio will be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. The address is 56 Burns, right next to the Western Guesthouse.

For the Children Fundraiser Concert
with Hoodigenous at Belize Soul project, space for the arts & productions.

Team at Caves Branch receives James A. Waight Conservation Award
Our team at Caves Branch received the James A. Waight Conservation Award. On the first picture we are pointing out at the missing from the event collaborators( Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, ERI), colleagues and co-team members who were not able to attend today's event: Bruce K. Holst, Elma Kay, Carlos Hernandes, Chico Ram�rez, Jason Miller, Thelma Garcia, Marvin Martinez, Marvin Paredes, Elizabeth Torres, Sayuri Tzul, Steven W. Brewer, Elma Kay, Darrel Smith, Steven W. Brewer, Jeannie Perales, Kelvin Cooper ,Carlitto, Esperanza and many others!

Youth Ambassadors return
Our 2020 Youth Ambassadors returned yesterday after spending 3 weeks in Denver, Colorado, Pensacola, Florida and Washington DC. They were fortunate to bump into US Embassy Belize's Charg� de Affaires, Keith Gilges. Stay tuned as we will be providing updates of their trip.

KAKASBAL
Kakasbal or k'aak'as ba'al ( ka = twice, k�as= bad, damn, baal = hidden) is a being of a evil nature belonging to Maya culture . It was said that Kakasbal confused people by speaking to them, because those who listened to him thought that his internal voice was the one who addressed them, and Kakasbal was actually the one who sought ruin, suffering, and separation from unity. This voice made men turn bad, violent, greedy, ambitious and ultimately impossible to satisfy. His only purpose on earth was to overshadow the hearts of mortals.

Amandala

MURDER IN BELIZE CITY
Reports reaching our newsroom is that Kyla Young, a17 year old Belizean hairbraider of a Freetown Road, address in Belize City was fatally shot. John Peters, a 25-year-old Belizean laborer of a Central American Boulevard address in Belize City and Anselma Flores, a 24-year-old babysitter of Sunset Avenue also in Belize City also received gunshot wounds during the same shooting incident.

The Reporter

Making His Mark in the Upholstery Business
From this small workshop located at #69 Vernon Street in Belize City, Ladyville resident Alexander Garbutt, 38, along with his five dedicated employees including a special needs helper, labor with love to create custom-built furniture and sofa sets to meet the needs of their customers.

Samadhi Damages Reef And Rolls Out
Since the weekend, Belizeans,\ and environmental groups have been up in arms after images and video footage showed a private million-dollar yacht anchored inside the Lighthouse Reef Atoll had caused major devastation to the reef system.

PUP to Barrow - STEP DOWN!
The People's United Party has called on PM Barrow to put the country before his party and to step down. Opposition leader John Brice�o threw down the gauntlet when the PUP presented its manifesto to eliminate corruption and ensure public accountability at a press conference at the Princess Hotel in Belize City on Thursday morning, February 13.

GAME OVER! Saldivar Resigns - Vows to Clear Name
Just four days after what must have been the greatest day of his political life, John Saldivar has reached what is likely the end of his political career. A release issued by the Office of the Prime Minister this afternoon revealed that Saldivar has resigned from Cabinet and is no longer Minister of National Security.

ACP, Miguel Segura, found Not Guilty of Manslaughter by Negligence
Interdicted Assistant Commissioner of Police, Miguel Segura, 53, who was charged with six different traffic offences in 2014, including Manslaughter by Negligence, Causing Death by Careless Conduct, and Driving with Alcohol Concentration Beyond the Prescribed Limit, was found not guilty of all six charges on Thursday.

Attitude Of Gratitude
Attitude Of Gratitude By: Dr. Abigail Joseph - Culture is very important to society. Each society is made up of a variety of cultures and at times our cultures intertwine and are expressed as societal traditions.

Editorial: 16th. February 2020
By Wednesday afternoon, Minister John Saldivar had reportedly offered to give up his newly acquired position as Party Leader (elect) if Prime Minister Dean Barrow would refrain from firing him as Minister of Defence and National Security.

Hattiville Police Investigate 2 Separate Murders In That Municipality
Hattieville Police are investigating whether the murders of two men that happened Saturday morning in that municipality, just minutes apart, are related to each other. The first murder scene that Police processed in the New Site area of the village was that of Ronnie Anderson.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

NTUCB plans meeting with members to organize demonstration
The National Trade Union Congress of Belize (NTUCB) has scheduled a meeting of its members [�]

Meighan brothers out on bail
After 10 days on remand at the Belize Central Prison, the Meighan brothers, Tyrone, Ellis and [�]

Cop and his brother granted bail for a stolen gun belonging to the police
Corozal Town police officer Erwin Hernandez and his brother Rony are out on bail in relation [�]

High school football: Corozal Community girls, Mount Carmel boys take national titles
The girls' football team of Corozal Community College in Corozal Town and their male counterparts [�]

El Clasico finishes scoreless as Bandits retain top spot in PLB
Verdes was not able to make up ground at home this afternoon as they welcomed [�]

Seventeen-year-old Kyla Young latest Belize City murder victim
A female teenager, Kyla Young, 17, was reportedly killed in the latest shooting incident that [�]

Defenders, Tiger Sharks win to set up big-time rematch at Civic
A three-game set this week for the National Elite Basketball League (NEBL) has set up [�]

Teen girl reportedly killed in latest Belize City shooting
A female teenager was reportedly killed in the latest shooting incident that took place in [�]

Award-winning Belizean product, Truly Tumeric, named 2020 finalist for Expo West
Тhе wоrld'ѕ fіrѕt mаnufасturеrѕ оf frеѕh turmеrіс раѕtе, Nаlеdо Веlіzе's Truly Tumeric, has been named [�]

First COVID019 death in Europe, second death outside of Asia as confirmed cases continue to skyrocket
CNN is reporting that the second death outside of the Asian continent due to the [�]

Blogs

Where To Go In Belize For Spring Break 2020?
With Spring Break 2020 right around the corner, you may be wondering where to go to cut loose. Going through your list of locations, have you considered Belize? Not only does Belize offer all the warm sandy beaches and hot nights of other locations in Central America, but it does it while featuring English as its official language. If you are curious as to what Belize has to offer the spring break crowd, consider these four locales in particular.

Visit Honey Camp Lagoon in Belize
Honey Camp Lagoon is tucked away in the northern district of Orange Walk, also known as "Shuga city". This quiet retreat is well known amongst locals who have experienced the soothing powers of this lagoon, still undiscovered by tourists. This destination is located 9 miles from Orange Walk Town, which is approximately a 45-minute drive. There's not much to do here, as it's just a place to simply relax. You can swim in the calm lagoon which is said to ease tensions and rejuvenate your mind and body. The lagoon is also bordered by a small community with a nice beach called 'Playa Coral' so you can take a walk and relax under the shady coconut trees. There is also a hidden hot spring that can serve as your own personal spa.

Art with Purpose, Love, and Community
I've been illustrating the Caribbean since before I ever started traveling to San Pedro-researching the landscape and the wildlife, studying and painting intricate maps of the numerous archipelagos� I created a space of tropical beauty within my uptown Dallas studio. If you believe in the power of manifestation, then this story will inspire you because it wasn't more than a year of diving into my Caribbean inspired art that I start traveling to Belize on a regular basis and, as I write this, I'm sitting at my drafting table in my Boca del Rio condo looking out upon the turquoise water as it shimmers beneath the tropical sun.

Belize
Over 200 pristine cayes (islands) are scattered along Belize's coastline-each surrounded by crystal clear, turquoise seawater that teems with brilliant fish, coral, and sponges. A favorite pastime on the cayes is to relax in a hammock, under a gently swaying coconut palm, while sipping an icy Belikin beer, or a pina colada� It's the perfect spot to relax and watch the frothy white waves wash against the Mesoamerican barrier reef� For those who live on a caye, the living reef is so close it's a visible touchstone, a reminder of its many wonders. Diving, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking, sailing, and surfing are pleasant activities in the shallow waters inside the protection of the reef�

SNORKELING SHARK RAY ALLEY FROM SAN PEDRO, BELIZE
San Pedro gave me my first impressions of Belize, ahead of spending almost 2 months in the country. I didn't intend it to be the first place I visited, but things conspired that we ended up on a hugely overpriced boat from Chetumal, and spent our first 2 Belizean nights in the city of San Pedro. I had few expectations of San Pedro, and Ambergris Caye in general, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I only spent 2 days there, which is enough, but I did enjoy them. The main reason I came here was to snorkel in Shark Ray Alley. This is a small part of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve and is frequented by nurse sharks, rays and lots of colourful fish.

Discover St. Herman's Blue Hole National Park On Your Belize Vacation
St. Herman's Blue Hole National Park is found within Belize's Cayo District, just a short jaunt away from Belmopan, the country's capital city. This is a massive park that sprawls more than 500 acres, or 2 square kilometers for the Metric-minded. Notably, the region is home to two cave complexes: St. Herman's and the Crystal Cave and contains dozens of nature trails. While St. Herman's Cave is accessible to the general public, the Crystal Cave, also known as the Mountain Cow Cave, requires a trained guide, rappelling equipment and a decent level of physical fitness to fully explore. While both caves are considered sacred vistas, the Crystal Cave ends with several beautiful crystalline growths and contains the remains of multiple ritual sacrifices; The Crystal Cave was regarded by the ancient Maya as a bridge between the mortal world and the world of the divine.

The San Ignacio, Belize Market
Located on the banks of the Macal River, the market in San Ignacio is a truly unique opportunity to experience Belizean life. Farmers, traders, and vendors from all walks of Belizean life gather together to sell their wares. Don't be surprised to hear a blend of German, English, Spanish, Creole and the Mayan tongue as everyone from Mennonite farmers to indigenous craftsmen use the San Ignacio Market to sell their delicious local fruits, vegetables, medicinal herbs, and handmade clothing. Just beyond the market lies the heart of San Ignacio town, filled with restaurants, bars, and shops. A trip to the market followed by additional shopping or a coffee in town is the perfect way to experience local color and to buy souvenirs, handicrafts, and delicious local foods.

Calling All "Bird Nerds" - Forbes Magazine Recommends Belize For Birding
For serious birders, few places evoke the sort of excitement that the Amazon Rainforest, the Galapagos, Everglades, Brazil, and New Zealand do. And now a relative newcomer has joined the ranks to complete what Forbes magazine recently hailed as "The Top Five Birding Destinations For 2020." Belize, step into the light and take a bow.

International Sourcesizz

The Best Places to Retire Overseas in 2020
The best place to reinvent your life overseas in retirement depends on your personal preferences and priorities. Some people dream of long walks on the sand, while others would prefer regular nights out at the theater in a thriving city. Here are the most appealing places to call home based on the cost of living versus the quality of life on offer... Ambergris Caye is a small haven in the Caribbean that is surrounded by vibrant turquoise waters. The island is skirted on its eastern side by the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere. About 26 miles long and one mile wide at its widest point, most residents use golf carts to get where they want to go.

Sharks cause scuba divers to nearly wet their wet suits
Sharks are among the most misunderstood creatures on the planet. They are the subject of myths and sensational media reports. They feature in gruesome and terrifying stories from around the world. Even Hollywood fiction movies have contributed to the villainization of sharks. In the first clip, a dive master from Belize is finishing a dive with his group. In the middle of their safety stop and planned ascent to the surface, a large reef shark makes an unexpected appearance below him and angles suddenly upward to inspect his fins. This approach is driven by curiosity and the shark appears to recognize that the diver is not food and quickly leaves him alone.

Tropical snake diversity collapses after widespread amphibian loss
The global pandemic caused by the amphibian fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis has decimated frog populations around the world. This decline has been called out as a potential catastrophe for amphibian species. What has been less explored are the impacts of amphibian declines on other members of their ecological communities. Using survey data collected over 13 years, Zipkin et al. looked at diversity and body condition of a tropical snake community after amphibians were decimated by chytridiomycosis. They found that the snake community was less diverse and most species were in decline, except for a few "winning" species.

Videos

• Channel 5 Obituaries - RADMAN EDWARD MIDDLETON, 2min.

• A Sunday View in Corozal Bay, 2min. A view on Corozal Bay this afternoon. And, saw the Frigate Birds flying around the Bay of Corozal.

• Off to San Pedro inBelize, 7.5min. This is my vacation in Belize

• Shannon Fowler Belize Hurricanes(NEBL)2019 highlights, 2.5min.

• Belize - Sharknado, 31min. Video from dives in Belize on Lighthouse Reef, Half Moon Caye and Long Caye. Gorgeous reefs and a healthy contingent of reef sharks

• Nadando con Tiburones CAYE CAULKER Belize - Belice, 7min. Nuestra primera experiencia nadando con estos hermosos animales. Our first experience swimming with these beautiful animals.

• Swimming with Thousands of Little Fish, Glover's Reef Atoll, Belize, 3min. Filmed at Off the Wall Dive Center & Resort.

• Evening in the Treehouse, Chillout Relaxation Belize, 30min. Thanks again to the great staff at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch & Adventure Lodge.

• Great Blue Hole - Belize, 13min. Two dives on the Great Blue Hole in Belize off Lighthouse Reef. First dive a bit dirty but second dive more clear images. Amazing experience to see the huge formations underwater normally only in caves above sea level.

• Belize 2020, 9min. Snorkeling. Monterrey eel, rays and sharks.

• Passport To Romance - The S. S. Harmonia Docks In Belize (August 16, 1946), 30min. Passport to Romance, the story of two people working on a cruise ship who fall in love. The show starred Mitzi Green who played Nancy Sparks and Lawrence Brooks who played Chuck Piper. Chuck was a steward on the ship, SS Harmonia, to get an audition as a singer for Guy Glenwood and his Glenwood Guys. Nancy was the ship's manicurist but she was there for the same reason as Chuck

• I almost drowned in Belize, 12min.

• SNAPPERS CATCH CLEAN AND COOK, 22min. THIS MEAL IS TRADITION HERE IN SAN PEDRO
  • © Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board