AmbergrisCaye.com Home
BELIZE CITY, March 8 (Reuters) - Belize's centrist
government seemed set to serve a second term after local media
reported a narrow election win for the ruling party on Thursday.

If confirmed, the election victory would open the door to a
renegotiation of the tiny Central American country's $550
million overseas debt.

The United Democratic Party won 16 seats in the 31-seat
parliament to the opposition People's United Party's 14, Channel
5 television reported.

One seat was unaccounted for, according to the station's
unofficial tally.

The governing party's majority was reduced from the 19 seats
it enjoyed in its last term.

Prime Minister Dean Barrow said before the election his
first act, if re-elected, would be to renegotiate the terms of
Belize's so-called superbond, which makes up half the country's
debt and 40 percent of gross domestic product.

SOURCE
At this time LoveFM reports 17 seats for UDP / 14 for PUP.
Given the disarray of the PUP prior to the election, I'd day the PUP put on a remarkable showing.
The disappointing part is the low voter turnout - people are disgusted with politicians in general and they'd better listen up.

I can't find the results of San Pedro other than "mixed".
What are the numbers?
Here's turnout percentages in each division:
http://lovefm.com/municipal_2012_division.php

Districts listed here:
http://lovefm.com/election_2012_country.php

then click the Division in the District you are looking for

Here's Belize Rural South
http://lovefm.com/brs_decision_2012.php

Patty Arceo 28%
Manuel Heredia 35%
Roberto Lopez 4%

ALSO: http://www.orangewalk.net/

EXCELLENT WEBSITE COMING OUT OF ORANGE WALK, ON ELECTION RESULTS EVERY TEN MINUTES. FANTASTIC WEB WORK. GREAT JOB WELL DONE!
Where and when will we see the local results?
http://lovefm.com/brs_decision_2012.php

Corozal SE, Cayo NE, Corozal N. Are the only ones not reported yet.

Right now it is 14 to 13 for the UDP. The unofficial results show UDP winning 17 seats and PUP winning 14

Only 61% of the voters registered voted in the 2012 elections.
OK, Heredia wins. Does that mean a UDP mayor and town council here in SP
from a PUP friend....

SAID MUSA lost the election for the PUP ... AGAIN!

The low voter turn out in Belize City was a protest vote against Said Musa running, as much as it was a protest against the UDP government.

People (the "undecideds"), decided to stay home and not vote, rather than to vote in a party with a known scoundrel in the executive.

The UDP didn't win, the PUP lost it. They (the PUP) preferred brother Said over a party win.

They were forewarned.
Originally Posted by ctb
OK, Heredia wins. Does that mean a UDP mayor and town council here in SP

Minister Heredia won an election for Central Government.

Town Board is a separate election. Heredia can't direct any of that.

I'd so like to see a non-partisan municipal system - just candidates, not slates. Best people doing their best for San Pedro. I guess I can dream.

I'd like that too. I know the election is separate for General and Municipal. Are there any municipal results yet? Anyone know when there will be?
From The San Pedro Sun

"Final Results of the Municipal Elections on Ambergris Caye:
Mayor: Daniel 'Danny' Guerrero
Councilors: Carlos Enrique Barrientos, Kenrick Brackett, Severo Guerrero Jr., Gaby Nu�ez, Mito Paz, and PUP's Wally Nu�ez"
I can't find any municipal stats, but am told there is a UDP celebration in progress right now in front of the SP Town Board.
I'd assume there was a UDP majority, but would be most interested to see the tallys.
Congrats to the UDP. The people have spoken, so lets all work together for a better Ambergris Caye.
From a wise friend.... well put...

Extending our Congratulations to all the winners in yesterday's double elections.

The Campaign is over and People have spoken, so let's get moving and start to work together for the Love and Development of our Beloved Nation, Belize!

Have a Bright and Peaceful day today!

Heredia takes BRS. Danny Guerrero is Mayor, Split SPTC Council: 5 UDP & 1 PUP

In the House: UDP 17, PUP 14 – Dean Oliver Barrow remains Belize's Prime Minister

After months of anticipation, voters turned out in full force on Wednesday, March 7th to decide both the General and Municipal elections. When all ballots were accounted for countrywide, the United Democratic Party managed to capture 17 seats out of a possible 31 seats in the National Assembly officially forming the new Belizean government. Two of those seats, Cayo Central (Collet Motejo – PUP vs Rene Montero – UDP) and Cayo North East (Orlando Habet – PUP vs. Elvin Penner – UDP) are reportedly to be contested in court.

In San Pedro the United Democratic Party (UDP) won the Belize Rural South Constituency re-electing incumbent Jose Manuel "Junior" Heredia Jr. as the Belize Rural South (BRS) Area Representative. 4,987 electorates out of a total of 7,100 registered voters (70.23%) cast their votes in the General Elections in Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye.

In the San Pedro Municipal elections, Daniel Guerrero and five of his six councilors won for the UDP, and 1 PUP councilor candidate, Gualberto "Wally" Nu�ez, now make up the new San Pedro Town Council.

In the Municipal Elections the following are final results:

Mayoral Candidates
Daniel "Danny" Guerrero - 1,716
Maria "Conchita" Flota - 1,502
Melanie "Mel" Paz - 629

Councilor Candidates – UDP
Carlos Enrique Barrientos - 1,996
Kenrick William Brackett - 2,027
Severo Guerrero Jr. - 2,126
Gabriel "Gaby" Nunez - 2,160
Guillermo "Mito" Paz - 2,026
Yolanda Paraham - 1,885

Councilor Candidates – PUP
Gualberto "Wally" Nunez - 2,021
Oscar David Aguilar - 1,779
Marina Graniel Kay - 1,923
Raymundo "Mundo" Nunez - 1,911
Viana "Vianie" Perez - 1,756
Maribel "Mar" Vasquez - 1,665

Councilor Candidates – Independent
Hilberto Graviel Sanchez - 245
Bernabe Badillo - 216

The General Elections results for Belize Rural South are as follows:
Jose Manuel “Junior” Heredia Jr. - 2,479
Anna Patricia "Patty" Arceo - 2,026
Robert "Bobby" Lopez - 332
William "Mike" Campbell - 24

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Belize Votes The UDP Back in Power

The country of Belize has been declared red once again with the United Democratic Party taking the majority of seats in the House of Representatives in the double elections that took place on Wednesday, March 7, 2012. It was not a landslide victory, but the UDP took 17 of the 31 seats needed to claim victory. This time around, the PUP was able to capture a larger seating than last elections, with 14 seats.

"This has been the most exciting race," commented a voter who was anxiously awaiting the results.

"This election is very tight and tense, I can't even study good," commented another. In San Pedro, Manuel Heredia Jr. managed to hold his position in government with 49.7% of the votes (2,479), besting out three other candidates out of the 4987 votes that were cast in San Pedro and Caye Caulker. The voter turnout in the BRS constituency was 70.23%.

Manuel Heredia managed to win all nine boxes in San Pedro while Patty Arceo took both boxes in the neighboring island of Caye caulker.

Click here for more of the article and lots more photos in the Ambergris Today

Results also here:
http://edition.channel5belize.com/general-elections-2012-results
Caye Caulker has a non partisan usually.
I don't know the system, but how do you get 4000 folks voting for the Mayor, but 14000 voting for councilors(times 2)?
only citizens vote in general elections; citizens and residents can vote in municipal
Originally Posted by krehfish
I don't know the system, but how do you get 4000 folks voting for the Mayor, but 14000 voting for councilors(times 2)?

To more precisely address your question about the Municipal elections ...... you are given a ballot with choices on it - the Mayoral Candidates are listed one by one. You vote for one of them - or if you don't care or can't choose you leave that part of the ballot blank.

Further, still in the Municipal election - the candidates for town-counselors are listed by party-slate, but you again get to vote for them individually. You cannot vote for more than 6, but you are free to vote for fewer. You can vote for some of one party and some of another.

Mixed votes, and protests by not voting at all or only casting one or two votes throw the numbers into the kind of confusing picture you noted.

As Katie Said, only citizens may vote in the National elections. The candidate for Area Representative is the National candidate. There were four running in the area where San Pedro is located. Junior, Patty, Robert and Mike.

Thank you. john
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board