AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Gazelle Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 04:12 PM
Being a 'geography' buff since I was a little boy, I am still constantly surprised when I realize that so many people simply don't have a clue where is Belize and a lot of them don't even recognize the name.

In the recent years, the States saw a huge growth in the popularity of drinking fashionable bottled water, and more recently (in the last 18-24 months) water from exotic locations is a big favorite. One that has been in very high demand is the brand "Fiji" bottled water that sells for up to two dollars on the California supermarket shelves.
Fiji water owes its success vastly to its exotic name, as it was not doing well at all when it was called "Aqua Pacific", but when they changed the name to "Fiji" it became the new craze and they can't even keep up with the demand now.

Now, I think that someone in Belize needs to do the same and of course call it "Belize Water".

I think that putting the name of "Belize" on a water bottle could definitely be a big hit in the States, and it would be a fantastic way to tell the world about "exotic Belize".
Posted By: Xoe Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 04:50 PM
At the risk of incurring someone's (everyone's?) wrath, I'll say that one of the things I love best about Belize is that it is NOT on everyone's mental geography map, nor in their travel plans, whence comes much of its appeal.

The planet's loveliest places can and often have lost their character and charm by being overwhelmed by too many tourists. Note the posts from those wanting to know which day cruise ships are in Belize so as to AVOID booking mainland excursions on those days.

May Ambergris Caye remain a gem of tranquility!
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 06:39 PM
Xoe.... Amen!
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 06:54 PM
I'll second that
Posted By: deacon+ Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 06:56 PM
Make it 3
Posted By: casa de amor Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 07:15 PM
i have experienced this on numerous occasions, when i tell people that i go to belize all the time they give me a look like "where the hell is that?" so i now find myself saying that i'm headed to the southeren tip of the yucatan in mexico
Posted By: Xoe Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 09:00 PM
If asked where I'm traveling, I respond "Belize" and enjoy the baffled look, if that's the response. If the person yearns to know more, we have a chat.

I LOVE experiencing a place that isn't Tourist Central, especially where there is no language barrier, plus safe water, and food that is not only safe, but delicious.

THREE CHEERS FOR BELIZE (as is)!
Posted By: kris48 Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/07/06 11:57 PM
My daughter (a Master's level English teacher, so not stupid) thought that Belize was in the South Pacific. Let's keep it that way! The less people that know about it the better, I say.
Posted By: spl Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/08/06 12:10 AM
why would a master's level english teacher know where Belize is. Just because one is educated and "not so stupid" does not mean they know geography! She can't know eveything by having a specific degree. If she had a masters in geography now that's different.
Posted By: kris48 Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/08/06 01:50 AM
True, spl. But knowing us, she should also have figured we'd never travel that far away from home!
Posted By: mountain Larry Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/08/06 06:43 PM
I tell people I am going to British Honduras.
Posted By: seashell Re: Putting Belize on the map... - 03/08/06 07:22 PM
Yup, I've found more people of a certain age, know where British Honduras is, than Belize.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board