AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Software update coming for board

Posted By: Marty

Software update coming for board - 11/24/06 10:03 PM

I am putting in an update for the board software in the next few days. it'll take a day or so and will first be functional without proper images and 'look' at first, but technically functional (i hope).

so if you come and its down, that is whats up. not sure when, sometime in next few days. will post when i find out exactly....

new version has a chat function. also i will be folding the caye caulker board at cayecaulker.org into this site.

will have a mysql database core, for you tekkies, and so should be a tad snappier (quicker) and real fast on searches.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/24/06 11:11 PM

Great... I look forward to a different version...now and then laugh

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/28/06 05:39 AM

well tried tonite. didnt get it done. will try again soon....
Posted By: Pam&Dave

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/28/06 05:50 AM

Sorry it didn't fly this time. frown

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/28/06 05:25 PM

trying again very soon now. when it comes up again, it will be generic looking but the messages will be there

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 03:55 AM

ok, try this. see what you think. comments here in this thread please!!!! still tweaking....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:07 AM

I do not adjust well to change, where are the instructions? Why is the print so light? It's hard to read. Where are the little faces I liked and what are all these new ones? I do not like this at all!! frown

and our avatars look all weird!

and what's the deal with my PM box? It seems like every PM I've ever sent or received is in there. I thought once they were deleted they were gone. Is there still a 60 limit? Is there a way to get rid of the ones I already deleted once without having to re read them all? I'm soooooo confused!!!!!! frown frown frown

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:18 AM

looks like the avatars are larger now. i'll look for a way to set their size back to what they were. it'll take a few comments like this to get it right. i'll ask the software developers about the PM boxes

thanks for your comments!!! very helpful

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:21 AM

Ah, Marty, you're such a good sport! We'll all adjust in time - in the interim I hope you aren't bombarded with inane questions like mine! smile

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:29 AM

ok avatar size fixed. you like the colors? i am tweaking them. your input is very important and helpful to me law....

the print seems lighter? like smaller or a lighter black? probably a setting for that too! good for me to find these things

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:43 AM

yay on the avatars! lighter as in a lighter black, not enough contrast in the colors so everything looks all blurred together.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:49 AM

where's my buddy list?

how do I make it show new posts as opposed to posts I've already read?
Posted By: belizegial

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:05 AM

I'm trying to get use to this new look

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:13 AM

ok lightened the background under the messages, and made the text black instead of near black

what colors you think should be changed?
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:24 AM

Going to hurt our necks, tilting to use bi-focals to read the small font, tho.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:31 AM

ok, the black print is much better
now there needs to be more contrast between the outline colors and the general background color and I'm not likin' the brown/tan color at the top of each post.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:37 AM

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/faq
answers some questions

you mean the lite blue is too lite? ideas for the brown color? i was thinkin sand and water. maybe my sand color is too dark?

i'm sure open to suggestions

i'm out for an hour or so now

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:38 AM

text size is increased by view/text size/larger in the browser. i do that A LOT!

so this text seems smaller to folks?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:38 AM

light blue is too light; the sand color might pop a bit more if the blue was darkend up some
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 01:38 PM

Anybody seen my cheese?
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 01:48 PM

Like the big text better Marty..wtg
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 02:23 PM

I agree with Axe, big letters are better.
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 03:16 PM

it all seems fine to me. good stuff!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 03:24 PM

actually, I think the print is bigger which is a plus for us baby boomers....
Posted By: MALIBU

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:46 PM

HEY Marty! Nice to rearrange the furniture once in a while. I liked the avatars bigger, I KNOW y'alls eyes are getting older! Did you guys have to log in? I haven't logged in in so many years I didn't have my password! I felt like an outsider ~ poor me. Anywhooooo, I like the change!

RUT RO Where are the little smiley faces?

Print is not lighter and it is large on my screen.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:48 PM

Dang Law, you are a demanding cuss aren't you? ;_0

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 04:59 PM

Thanks Marty...much bolder print, today. Did you stay up all night, alot of new goodies this AM I see.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:22 PM

Where are the mood notifyers (smiley faces)?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:41 PM

Hey Mal
the larger avitars looked all blurry cause the resolution was poor
Board's looking much better this morning after Marty made lots of changes last night

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 05:49 PM

OH. I believe ya. I DO like the large type. I don't like the light blue.....it's kindof yucky. Did someone ask? ..tee he he...

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:21 PM

I don't find it so approachable, but I daresay that's because it's new. I do find the font very large though, which I don't like in itself and because it permits so little on the screen at one time. Is there a way of reducing the font and the space occupied on the screen?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:26 PM

we chatted last night about font size, and this seems to be the size folks like. one can always use the view/text size/bigger-smaller settings for ones browser. perhaps we should do a poll

smiley faces are somewhere

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:34 PM

thanks Man, i'm liking it too

shocked wink cry

smiley faces are abundant when you hit new message or new reply. lots of fancy editing choices in there now too!

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:37 PM

yep, if you just go to quick reply you don't get those options
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:40 PM

This colour would be better than the light blue
Posted By: RMT

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 08:59 PM

Wonderful job Marty. It's "cleaner" looking ( Ha..some of you will have fun with that comment) and I love the chat feature! The text is just perfect for someone on the verge of needing reading glasses! (I'm referring to a friend of mine of course!) Thanks so much! Rhonda smile

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 09:01 PM

Nope - I like the blue we have now - that green color looks artificial
Posted By: RMT

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 09:02 PM

I hope Jessie is kidding Law. My eyes couldn't handle that electric blue but I bet he looks cute when he wears it! smile
Posted By: Chachacoconut

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 10:56 PM

I like what I see so far!!
Posted By: Chachacoconut

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 11:04 PM

Marty,
I noticed that my member number changed to a lower number, did we "eliminate" some none active members? Also what makes one a member instead of a junior member?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 11:15 PM

Regarding the who's online box, Anonymous users are guest users, that haven't logged in and are browsing the forum.

Invisible users are those that are logged in but don't want to show up on the Who's online screen to other users (set in each user's preferences).

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/29/06 11:18 PM

Chachacoconut, yes i believe it removed unused numbers because wendy at number ten went down to number 9. i think there is some setting that makes members not junior after some period of time or number of posts. i'll try to be rid of that and make everyone just 'members'

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:06 AM

I do believe I win the prize for having the first post deleted on the new format! laugh

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:07 AM

I don't know whether it's something to do with my display, but the font appears easily 50% bigger than most others (eg. Belize Forums). I really don't like it.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:09 AM

I went from 38 to 34 member #
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:12 AM

Oh, do share Law! You should be proud!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:19 AM

Change is tough to take sometime.......I didn't like it when I first viewed it but it only took a few times navigating it and I'm getting along just fine. Reduced my browser setting to 95% and everything fits just fine.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:23 AM

Where is this "browser setting"?
Posted By: sandb

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by lawcucui
I do not adjust well to change, where are the instructions? Why is the print so light? It's hard to read. Where are the little faces I liked and what are all these new ones? I do not like this at all!! frown

and our avatars look all weird!

and what's the deal with my PM box? It seems like every PM I've ever sent or received is in there. I thought once they were deleted they were gone. Is there still a 60 limit? Is there a way to get rid of the ones I already deleted once without having to re read them all? I'm soooooo confused!!!!!! frown frown frown

yay on the avatars! lighter as in a lighter black, not enough contrast in the colors so everything looks all blurred together.

where's my buddy list?

how do I make it show new posts as opposed to posts I've already read?

ok, the black print is much better
now there needs to be more contrast between the outline colors and the general background color and I'm not likin' the brown/tan color at the top of each post.

light blue is too light; the sand color might pop a bit more if the blue was darkend up some

the larger avitars looked all blurry cause the resolution was poor
Board's looking much better this morning after Marty made lots of changes last night

Nope - I like the blue we have now - that green color looks artificial

Wasn't I married to you once?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:24 AM

Hey, PB, I'd share, but then someone would just have to delete it again. whistle feel free to PM, though!

you know what they say about proud, and I already have balance problems as it is. smile

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:27 AM

sandb, I seriously doubt it, but it's never too late to give up your dreams... wink

cool quote thing you did there; I'm very flattered you'd spend that much time to go through all my various posts and pull out random comments!
lucky for me, marty knows how to take my joking around! smile

Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:42 AM

i like a gal who knows just what she likes and wants. include me with law!

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:10 AM

Ah, Janie - we'll always hang together! smile

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:18 AM

reduced font size from 12 to 11
comments?

pedro2?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:20 AM

I like it better this new way! 11 is a nice, non-round number. smile
Posted By: Nova

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:23 AM

Ditto - keep the 11.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:24 AM

great tag line, nova! laugh

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 01:28 AM

there is always the browser text size tool along the menu bar at the top of the browser i use that a LOT while browsing other sites. CNTL and + raise the font size, CNTL and - make it smaller.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 03:11 AM

If you look at the quote in Sandb's post at 18:23 today you'll see that the font used is significantly smaller than the 11 Marty now says he is using. Yet to me it's totally clear, and more approachable than the general font. Would anyone object if that were the font used across the board?

The other issue is the large areas of blank white - with the reduction in font these really want to be squashed up a little.

IMHO of course.

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 03:30 AM

the problem with white space is caused by the left column with the avatar and all the info under them. that side sets the height of a row when a post is short. something for the next minor update of the software. need to get those four lines under the avatar non visible. you can see that info other ways anyway

the font size of all former posts is reflected in current settings. can't really use them for comparison. old posts are shown later in the current size font settings
Posted By: Beachy

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 05:26 AM

My password changed/and or was denied...
but I do notice I have a sig now, which I don't recall seeing before..nice! Text makes lots of pages, but what's wrong with that? Notice better search result than before...uesd to not see Trip reports results included.
Thanks!
PS:Can we turn chat on/off to increase window width?

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 12:03 PM

each user can turn off the chat. you can turn off the right column in your preferences. that kills that whole column
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Software update coming for board - 11/30/06 08:54 PM

San Pedro Daily,
I'm using the newest version (7.0) of Internet Explorer & they put the "Change Zoom Level" tab at the bottom right of the screen. Quick & easy to change the content to fit your screen or vice versa.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 01:53 AM

I have a question Marty. A lot of the websites I use at work will kick you out after a period of inactivity (to save server space I assume?). I always stay logged on to the message board even when I won’t be around for awhile. Would it be recommended that I log off if I won’t be back for a certain period of time?

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 02:03 AM

hhmmm. probably. now with the chat i imagine it might still use bandwidth cause its updating.

tho i'm not even sure yet of what impact the chat will have on bandwidth usage.
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 02:22 AM

WOW Marty, huge change, but I think I am gonna like it, once I find my way around. Right now, it is overwhelming, like a three ring circus, but the new features I have discovered so far are way cool. Nice we have the option to turn off things that are distracting to us. Very nice, and thanks!

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:11 AM

Boy, if that details link on the “Who’s Online” box starts showing what other window’s I have open I’m out of here!

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:16 AM

LOL at PBob.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:16 AM

You can turn that spy function off...go to My Preferences

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:19 AM

I know SPD, but it's kinda fun too check. Thanks.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:45 AM

there are options for private boards too. hmmmmmmm. anyone feel like hiding?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:54 AM

Damn Marty! When was the last time you slept? Fun having a new toy though I bet!

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 03:55 AM

I was just kidding about the details link Marty; I certainly have nothing to hide. Private boards? What does that entail?

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 04:14 AM

i didn't mean to insinuate anything pbob. not much sleep since this started simon, soon.... very fun. much easier admin stuff too

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 04:14 AM

not sure what private forums are. we could make one and see

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 04:24 AM

I think that's what pm's are for marty. (private forum that is) This looks like a great upgrade!!!!!!
Posted By: Axeman

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 12:57 PM

Marty..just a note..had to delete my cookies to get forum to allow me to post...Never had to do that before. All ok now but I was puzzeled at first. Might need to post an alert to folks to let them know to try it if they can't post.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 06:03 PM

Hey man, what was the symptom you had that indicated it wouldn't work? two folks have gotten a firewall warning. trying to figure out that one
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 06:53 PM

I'm trying to remember what it said. It said something about host server not being recognized. Or some gibberish like that. Said to check my firewall settings.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 06:56 PM

Marty, Axe, DCG, I'll try deleting my cookies to see if that works for me. I had to disable my firewall to post this at the moment.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 06:59 PM

I've deleted my cookies (I didn't lose them :)).

I can now post without disabling my firewall! Thanks for troubleshooting this one for me
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 07:03 PM

I tried diabling my firewall last night but it didn't work...
Love your motto! Wish I were there right now!

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 07:57 PM

laugh

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/01/06 10:08 PM

i did some tweaks today to eliminate the firewall problem. actually experimenting with it as the day goes on. email me at [email protected] if you have problems at all.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/14/06 11:56 PM

fyi probably many know this already, but i guess you can turn off viewing of others' signatures

Under mystuff/preferences
Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts? YES NO
Posted By: seashell

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/15/06 03:25 AM

Marty, on the old board, we could tell if someone had read the PM we sent them. Is there a way to do that on this new board?

Also, what is the allowable limit of messages we can have hanging around. Used to be 50-60? And now? And how do I tell how many I've got?

Thanks for all.

Re: Software update coming for board - 12/26/06 09:25 AM

hi Seashell, i can set the number of pm's i think i set it to 60. also no matter how many posts exist in the entire private topic, it still only counts as 1. to see how many PM's you have just go thru the pages of them or view more at a time. as far as i know theres not a total listed anywhere but i have not looked and its very possible.

to tell if someone read a PM, look at the bottom left of the PM, you will see Read by: none if the pm was read already or Read by: username if they have not read it.

general info:

i just got rid of a bunch of white space by removing this stuff

---------------
05-10-2005
Loc: Frigin Cold
Columbus, Ohio
----------------

under our avatars on the left side of each post

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board