AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Interested In Maybe opening a club....

Posted By: Canadian Dreamer

Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/14/01 06:48 AM

Hey...

I have had some friends recently visit Belize, and they have been blown away with it down there...

My question, for anyone in the know, would be the long term viability of a club, either existing or new, that would be coupled with some kind of smaller scale resort...r they profitable on a fast burn or slow?...

What types of clubs go over well in this area??...

From Toronto Canada and operate a "rave" style lounge/club, works well here, and in europe, but what genre works well in belize?...is there room for error???

Looking and researching on the web $ for existing resorts, property....pricy....from anyone that has done this, what worked well for u?..suggestions on teaming up with a resort or something...

Any info you can toss me would be appreciated...

Thx...Scott...=)
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/14/01 01:55 PM

My personal humble opinion is....
There are enuff clubs on the island now.
They have to compete like hell to make a profit. It's a small island.

Not sure what the feasability would be on the mainland.....guess it would depend on the area.

Would definately do some first hand research b/4 you go any farther though.
Go check it out for yourself.....look at different areas.

Remember....Belize consists of about 8800 sq miles total....and approx. 260,000 people....give or take 10,000. About 70,000 of those people are in Belize City....the rest are spread out in other small cities and villages......some of which are very remote. You will probably find that a lot of people in remote areas are not interested in going to a club. Belizean income for most does not permit such luxuries.
For example....a laborer in Belize gets paid about $45 bz a day....that's $22.50 US.

Hope this helps [Linked Image]
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/15/01 06:43 AM

Ok, it's official: I'm old. What da heck is a "rave" style club.
Posted By: KC

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/15/01 07:38 AM

Bill,
Ya don't wanna know, Bud.

Kathy
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/15/01 05:03 PM

LOL @ kathy!!!

gotcha, bill. even i am too old for raves. it is for the young-ins. they are wild lights, techno music all night parties that, um, sometimes include, um, mind altering substances (not supplied by the club, of course). but i wouldn't know anything about that.

i don't think it is the right thing for belize. my impression is that the kids there are fairly conservative and religious. a club on AC should probably be geared toward tourists. rock n roll or reggae, etc. MHO.

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/15/01 11:27 PM

LOL...Jane...you haven't been to Barefoot Iguanas or Jaguars (formerly Tarzans)

Where the..thump..thump...thump beat will get your heart and soul pumping....LOL

Trust me, Techno and Disco are alive and well on Ambergris Caye [Linked Image]

I could go for a night at Barefoot Iguanas right now!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/16/01 01:10 AM

I take comfort in my old age. The gentle lapping of the lagoon against the mangroves is more my speed. But, I remember when...
Posted By: English man

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 10/28/01 03:28 AM

There needs 2 be more dance, trance music in san pedro!
Posted By: Rocio

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/01/01 01:19 AM

How about a 4 br/3bth., sleeps 8+, on the beach just north of Xcalak, Q.Roo., MX., 1 hr by boat north of AC! 5 hours south of Cancun airport. Gen, solar and Wind Gen.
Off shore and flat fishings and diving near by.

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 10-31-2001).]

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/01/01 02:58 PM

*bewildered look on face*

What has that got to do with a dance club???.....LOL

Must have took a detour....I want some of what he's smokin'....LOL
Posted By: Lakerboy44

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/02/01 03:54 AM

U B 2 funny sandshaker..hehehehe..smileeee

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/06/01 05:44 PM

Very funny Sandshaker, what did you do, fail selling timeshare so now you want to be a comic?

The property and land, nearly 100' water front, could be developed as the buyer sees fit. I would like to have the half the money that has been p***** away on bars, clubs and other dreams in 3rd world countries. I tell people who ask, give me half of what you want to spend, take the rest and go home and you will only have lose half as much as you would have putting $$$ into your dream.
Posted By: Mike and Daphne Ryan

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/06/01 09:07 PM

Well, at least your not bitter.

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/06/01 09:55 PM

M & D, I had a very wise "Godfather", he told me the same 12 years ago...., I took his advise and didn't try to do business in the 3rd world, I went on local economy, waited, bought 2 houses at my price, when someone else's dream failed to develope. I started life over with a wife, we bought her a private day care-kinder(45+ kids, 1-6), she is owner, director and a teacher, with a staff of 5, we have a very smart 7 year old, and best of all we owe no one and we have money in the bank.

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 11-06-2001).]
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 12:53 PM

Bully for U Mate! Your not gonna tell us the rest I hope...

Oh boy...

Here it comes!

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 01:31 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!
You have successfully achieved "The American Dream" !!!
I'm getting a mental picture of a hampster running his legs off on one of those little wheels....round and round and round. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!
Not to make light of your success...it is truly quite an accomplishment. Most Americans kill themselves trying to do just that.
I simply prefer...no...better yet...I need to experience life in more of a roller coaster fashion.
I may gripe and grumble when the chips are down....and I'm in debt up to my eyeballs...but it's the climb back up and the brief view at the top that makes life interesting and worth living.
If I had to do the same thing....day in and day out....without ever having to worry about anything...well....just go ahead and shoot me now....LOL
Maybe it's the challenge of survival that keeps my adrenaline pumping....or just plain old "glutton for punishment" syndrome...who knows? [Linked Image]

Fail at selling timeshare????
Can't fail at something you didn't do....I wasn't a salesman...never was and never will be....I hate saleman.....LOL

I had the mis-fortune of being snookered in by one of the best con men of all time.
Just call me blind and stupid...that's me.....LOL Oh well...such is life!!!!!
Live and learn!

The point is......

I CAN say I've lived and learned....been there...done that...got the T-shirt! [Linked Image]
Life is a gamble....sometimes you win....sometimes you lose....it's the ride that's interesting. I wouldn't take anything for my time in Belize. Even with all the problems and pitfalls....it was better than a sharp stick in the eye.....or 45 kids in a daycare!! [Linked Image]

Taking care of children is a noble cause...and I'm sure your wife is very happy.
Sounds like she wears an awful lot of hats.
Some woman you got there....I'd keep her for sure! [Linked Image]
Hey....more power to her.....she has to have nerves of steel.

I worry more about what stories I will have to tell when I'm old and gray. What adventures did I take? I'd like to be able to say I did something exciting.

Good luck on your property. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 11-07-2001).]

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 03:52 PM

Thanks Sandshaker! No more cheap shots....

God bless you and yours..Rocio
Posted By: KC

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 03:54 PM

Sandshaker, Good reply! I also spend a considerable amount of time wondering what my grandkids will say about "Granny". [Linked Image]

Here is the #1 thing I hope they say about me... "Remember how much fun it was when we used to visit Granny and Grandpa when they lived on Ambergris?" [Linked Image]

That's my "American Dream".

Take care, Kathy
Posted By: Mike and Daphne Ryan

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 05:05 PM

Me, too.

But I'm glad to find that Rocio has, in fact, what he wants and is not just someone embittered by a bad trip. We all have our paths, and warnings about potholes are helpful.

Many of our friends are unhappy that we sail the seas -- afraid we'll get killed doing it. Well, everything has its risks and rewards. A very good and dear friend of ours died on the first (and only) commercial rafting of the futualufu (sp?) river in his beloved Chile. Our consolation was that he was doing what he wanted.

Michael

Re: Interested In Maybe opening a club.... - 11/07/01 05:17 PM

Michael, God Bless you and your too, maybe some day our paths will all cross here in Cozumel or wherever, then we can all sit down, watch sunsets and have a few drinks or do coffee on the plaza.
God Bless you too KC, and your "American Dream"
Rocio

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 11-07-2001).]
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board