AmbergrisCaye.com Home

I Got'a new scheme

Posted By: forick

I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 12:51 AM

I figured out a new "scheme"...it's dangling at the end of my fishing pole...any bites?

hee, heee, heee....Can't wait for the first nibble.....waiting, waiting hummmm. think I put my feet in off the dock while I wait.

Rick
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 01:28 AM

So what is it you're looking for....snapper, barracuda, shark, whale, catfish???? Maybe you should just jump in the water??? And "scheme" can be a frightening word!! Coconut

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 01:42 AM

R & C,
Where are you guys today? TX or AC?

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 02:06 AM

R & C,

Not all scheme's begin with "boy, I have the perfect bridge for you!"

We have talked before but never on a land line, I still am working on the resort for AC but, for now, while the lawyers are hacking it to bits I am playing around in the art business...my first love!

I figured out how to sell my art (www.geocities.com/monarchgallery) the easy way. Have you ever bought fine art from a gallery. I mean one where you walk in and the salesperson walks up and while grining from ear to ear says "Looking for anything special today"?

By the way the web site mentioned above is not advertising my work for sale, its for gallery owners to get a preview before I send out slides.

I figured out a way to bypass the gallery and offer the customer a 40% discount on the work instead of giving it to the gallery. It's absolutely brilliant! Not only a discount on the work but 10% interest monthly on the amount he/she paid for the work. Sort a like paying the customer to buy my art work.

Do U believe it?

Rick

[This message has been edited by forick (edited 11-16-2001).]
Posted By: calinative

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 02:10 AM

KEEP WAITING YOU MIGHT GET A MERMAID

[This message has been edited by calinative (edited 11-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by calinative (edited 11-14-2001).]
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 04:10 AM

BRAVO...on your art and the website!

Your work is really good! I know that is a matter of personal taste..but I love bold, colorful art. You can't help but look at it and study it.

I especially like two..."Passion"...and..."Tropical Flower"

Very nice indeed! [Linked Image]

Salvadore Dali huh?....another of my favorites!

Kudos to you!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 04:00 PM

forick
what is your style? all of my fine art is now being displayed on the frig with my beuatiful collection of magnets.
gay
Posted By: ckocian

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 06:37 PM

What I believe is that getting involved with you in either scheme would be fishy, indeed!

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/15/01 09:16 PM

Nothing I like better than a spirited discussion!

Dear Calliniative,
I hadn't thought of a Mermaid before, did you know that it is thought that sailors that first reported seeing a mermaid were thought to have seen a Manatee or simular animal? They must of been really desperate!
By the way did you go to my web site? Take a look IN the very last one as you scroll all the way to the right. (Sort of a joke)

Dear Sandshaker,
I've often seen and appreciated your posts on the forum. I used to do mostly pastel work but got tired of the muted colors all the time. I suppose I have to admit that they sold quite well because they coordinated with clients decor more easily. About 20 years ago I met Dali by accident in Marbayia (sp?) Spain in a water front tavern. He was surrounded by his hanger on'ers when he walked in. He sat down next to me (the only bar stool open) and inbetween his political and artistic critiques he actually spoke to me. Later in the evening I was invited to his place the next day for some "lessons". He said this with a twinkle in his eye so I was really curious as to what he was up to.

I won't go into details unless you are interested in the story but it was an enlightening event.

Dear Gay,
Most of my art started on the frig door also. The only problem was I was too young to know the difference between parental pride and embarassment. At one time I did some small wooden minatures that could be glued to magnets but I lost interest when I had to have bifocals.

Dear Ckocian,
I love fishing. don't put the sport down! I meet the most amazing friends that way. As far as getting involved, well...I'm happily married anyways so that just isn't possible.

Dear fish...
I've had no bites yet, hummm maybe I should move to the other side of the dock?

forick
Posted By: Chloe

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 03:06 AM

Hey, come on give us the Dali story.
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 01:45 PM

I'm a steam Dali Baby! I'm gonna Dali all over you! ( Yu suply di music)

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 06:04 PM

I'd love to hear your Dali story Rick! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 07:05 PM

i really like 'a mirror' best. rick, these are nice!

i have no fine art, and am clueless what original pieces like this go for.

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 08:17 PM

Dear Jane,
Sounds like I'm writing a Dear "John letter" but to the other gender.
I've had a lot of fun with the mirrors as they allow to express the caluclating architectural aspect on "paper". The sizes run 49" x 62", 35 x 48 and 32 x 46. most about 2" to 3 1/2". 3-4 basic designs and each can be done in 4 different color combinations. Retail price ranges from $1,500 to $4,800. Unless you want to nibble on my art program mentioned in my first post above then the price goes down and I can start to pay you> I'll give you the simple details (which is more a rationale) if you want them.

Dear Chloe, Tam & Barefoot...,
Ahhh Yes the Dali story. I feel like I'm telling a bed time story to my little boy. Kinda fun. As I mentioned I met him in Spain quite some time ago, but he left an indellible impression on me as a young artist. Not because I like'd his work but because I was so impressed with his approach to it and the way he described painting.

Anyways, I went to his house around dusk of a Saturday night. I had to walk cause I was broke, I was paying my way around the country by hand painting T-shirts. I used the large door knocker to announce myself and it took forever for someone to answer the door. I was greeted by a girl about 22 yrs old with wet jeans and T-shirt on and paint on parts of her upper torso. Hummm I thought "what an interesting way to use paint!"

After I introduced myself she guided me through a rather sparcly decorated house, but with lots of canvases scattered about. I wound up in the back on a patio/deck with a stuccao railing around it overlooking the ocean (Sea actually). The back yard sloped sharply down to a lot of rocks and the water. There were a few trees down there but rather scragly and I remember seeing such trees in some of his work. After I was introduced around to 5 or 6 people I was offered a goblet of wine. At the time I was very grateful for anything free especially booze (or a form of it).

Salvadore came out after a while full of paint and soaking wet. Even his long thin curled mustache had drops of water hanging from it. He had been painting clothes on these girls in the shower. He anounced there was going to be a "Wet tshirt" fashion show and asked 5 girls to come out and parade around the patio displaying his latest creations.
I immediately felt the urge to ask for more wine.

Things get somewhat fuzzy from here on except for the next day when I woke up on the couch with a new T-shirt on and jeans that were wet. I though I was very thirsty and got a drink of water and got dizzy from it. It turned out that I had "vollenteered" for shower duty sometime during the night.

After a gallon of coffee I sobered up enough to be able to talk with lips that I could feel. Salvadore wanted to know more about my art, which he promptly turned around and displayed on the back of his white shirt.

I went back to my room in town and returned after lunch with some sketches. I really was proud of these sketches as they took a lot of time and represented "photo's" of my travels. When I got back to his place he ushered me back on the patio so he could see them in the sun light...he said. He looked through them for a while grunted twice and made other assorted noises which I took to be characteristic of him thinking good things about my scribbling.

He left me on the patio for a minute or two while he went back to his bedroom to get something. When he returned he led me down the steps to the previously described backyard. He had my sketches in one hand and something else I couldn't see in the other which was under his shirt. My sketches were tacked to 2 different trees and then we stepped back about 15 or 20 feet. He then pulled out a pistol and promptly drilled my work with 38 caliber holes. I practically peed my pants.

He turned around to face me, put one arm around his front and the other elbo rested on it with his hand on his chin...the classic "Thinker" stance opened his mouth to match mine and said "any questions?".

[This message has been edited by forick (edited 11-29-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 09:47 PM

WELL CRAP!!!!

I WOULD GUESS THAT INSPIRED YOU TO CONTINUE TO PAINT. ANYTHING HE TOOK THE TIME TO LOOK AT THAT I HAD PAINTED, AND WAS WILLING TO SPEND THE COST OF BULLETS ON, WOULD HAVE INSPIRED ME, FOR SURE.

[This message has been edited by Chloe (edited 11-16-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 09:51 PM

Chloe,

Crap is the right word. I was totally at a loss for words as he stood there grinning with a smokin gun in his paw. But we had a good laugh about it and a fun nite that followed.
Rick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 09:58 PM

LMAO....are you for real?

That's funny...he sounds as eccentric as he looks!

Eccentric people are some of the funniest people...

Good story!

I'm assuming you asked him for pointers on your future in the art world?

[Linked Image]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 09:59 PM

janeinPA,

I re-readed you post about prices. I thought you ment the mirrors, but on second inspection it looks like you were wondering about the fine art prices. Price depends on size. Smallest size 12" x 12" ='s $850 US largest size 62" x 49" ='s $26,000.

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 10:05 PM

Sandshakkkker,

Some people called him excentric and I suppose he was by definition. I felt that he was one of those lucky people that could speak their mind about any subject and people would listen, then tell him he was full of mars gas and he's listen to you...sometimes. Other times he would throw something at you and chase you threatening you with what ever he could get hands on.

As for myself I never came to blows with him mentally or otherwise.
forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 10:07 PM

rick - loved the story. these are things that can only happen in our youth!

as for the prices, i can't afford either the mirrors or the artwork! (what, no AC lover's discount?!) thanks, and when i get left a large inheretance from some long-lost uncle, i will look you up!

that said, the big-ass hot tub gets delivered monday (priorities, folks!). we can't wait!

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 10:09 PM

As to art advise, he sat down with me all through that summer (sort of one of those endless ones) and constantly critiqued everything from my choice of swim trunks to the way I held my paint brushes.
forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 10:11 PM

janeinPA,
Ever heard of "the installment plan"?

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 10:13 PM

janeinPA,
Only in our youth phooy!
forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/16/01 11:30 PM

Dear fellow sand dabs,

I am going crazy today, must be cabin fever already! I've decided to write this to myself (mostly).

I went to Rome last year or was it the year before, well no matter, when I was there I met a guy at the Forum (the one where they fed the lions). He was from Germany and was there to study archa-techture. He had a lot of time on his hands and he asked if it was alright if he showed us around the place. While we were walking around this awsome structure I was ammased at his incrediably detailed knowledge. He even show'd us where they used to put the body parts when the lions had finished lunch.

Later that day we went to the Vadican where I got into a conversation with one of the resident cardinal's. I was sitting in front of one of the most dramatic paintings I've ever seen. Probably been there for 30-40 minutes while all the tourists marched by. So anyways this guy in robes sat down next to me and noticed that I was a little teary eyed. He asked if he could do anything and I said yes. I wanted to know why the Romans fed people to the lions. He said, simply, because "they were board and scared". Then he refered me back to the painting I was sitting in front of and told me to look at the faces of the roman gallery's and asked what did I see there.

I left the area with a very funny feeling. I tried to figure out what it was and came to the conclusion that I should have a glass of wine or two or three.

Kinda heavy huh.

There were much lighter moments of that trip, like our "first class" accomodations via train from Paris to Rome. The bunks were so short that when I went to bed (notice I didn't say sleep)I had a portion of my feet hanging out the window all night.

And the Taxi's were a real thrill as long as you had your eyers open.

The food was entertaining also when we got to the Island of Sardinia. Spegetti especially, they didn't serve it with meat sause the way americans think of it...unless you are use'd to baby oct-te-pie, urchen, and God knows what else.

I just loved the pool at the resort we stayed at. It was set against a boulder out-croping so the rocks extended into to pool. Not only that, but, nude bathing was the norm m m m m m m !!

Lucky I'm so trim and fit!

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 03:32 AM

Forick, thanks for the tour I just took of your paintings, they are great, and I relate to them with the same feeling as Ambergris gives me. "PURE"

BY THE WAY. Where are your paintings today that Dali put the bullet holes thru?
That has to add much value to them.

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 04:30 AM

Forick....we are back in Dallas now (sad face) got back on the 8th....get any bites yet????? Coconut (R&C)

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 08:07 PM

Dear Chloe,
Thanks for the compliment, I really enjoy doing them. Actually they are two paintings in one. After I carve the images into the wood I give to board two coats of base white then I "splatter paint" with coordinate colors with the yet to be finished product. Often times the splatter painting looks so interesting that I almost hate to paint over it. After the splatter painting I fill in the color of the images. More often than not I shade each section to dimension effect, then I use oil sticks to accent lines and shading.

I'm working on a new style that incorporates the use of a "frame" setting in the board, then do a smaller painting within the "frame". I have high hopes for this style as the sketches look really good (well at least to me).

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 08:17 PM

Dear R & C,
No nibbles yet! Too much chum in the water (other conversation). Actually most people don't understand the premise for this new way of selling. I eluded to it in one of my earlier posts above. It's really simple, If I have an art gallery show or buy my work I have to give them a 40-50% discount. So I thought that what if I took that discount that I have been giving to the gallery and put it into a "savings account" for the art buyer, the person that actually ends up hanging on their wall. The customer effectively winds up with with half their money back and earns a tax free interest income offshore.

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 08:37 PM

"""""Forick, is your name ADAM?

Just kidding.

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/17/01 09:37 PM

Chloe,
My brain is moving today, so I a bit slow on the uptake...ADAM?

I am moving my business computer to my house in a few minutes so I will be off to air till monday. But "I'll be back" As Arnold S. would say.
forick
Posted By: Gela

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/18/01 06:59 PM

Forick,
Reading your Dali story reminded me about something. Right next to my computer in my living room is a few cherished books: Several from artist Aubrey Beardsley, an old copy of Lorna Doone AND the one and only novel that Dali wrote called "Hidden Faces". I was given this book for Christmas 1977 and I surely read it then but have forgotten all except for the fact that it's set during WWII. I shall begin re-reading it today!
Thanks!

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/18/01 07:50 PM

Forick,
My husband and I are huge art fans and collectors, and are very lucky to own 2 Dali's -- not some of the faked ones. Dali was truly an amazing artist, and years ahead of his time. We enjoy his addball look at life. If you know his work from The Divine Comedy, we have "Men who Devour Themselves-Inferno 30", and "Blasphemers-Inferno 14".
I look forward to seeing your work!
I do have a question for you and the other artists... I am afraid to take some of my artwork to AC, due to the very high humidity. Is this something to be concerned about? I would be happy to tell you about our collection if you email me privately if that would help in your assessment.
[email protected]
Thanks!
Vicki

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 02:41 AM

Forick...so this is the "scheme" your talking about? How you're selling the artwork?? Just curious....C

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 07:34 PM

Ibanole,

I used to own 2 of his paintings, now only one due to one being stolen about 5 years ago. It was a multi-media with pix of a large head with brain showing and ants crawling around. The one I have left is part of a suite I got from Dali in Spain. It's called "Treste of Treole" (sp?).

Someone in a previous post above asked me if I kept the sketches that Dali filled full of holes. Actually no I was not able to keep them as Dali used them to start a fire to roast marshmellows and hot dogs over an open fire that same night.

Actually, the humidity is a problem but not any-more-so than the salty air. I've always had trouble with humidity with the paintings I have collected that are on paper. The edges curl and even in some cases become water stained (especially if submirged during a Hurricane). I suggest you ask a good framer in GA. There are a number of them in your area.

I use a web site to preview my work to galleries, this allows them to determine whether my work will fit with their gallery beforeI send them slides. If you wish go to: www.geocities.com/monarchgallery for a peek.

My two favorites are "A Lucky Bobber' and "Venician Jogger" Although I also like the suite of four sisters and "Earth Wind & Fire"

Most all my recent work is etched on wood board that is coated on both sided to prevent humidity warp problems.

What do you coach. My 16yr old is in football, soccer, skiing and rugby. He's not playing much this year cause some kid, during a game, stomped his lower back with his cleated football shoe fracturing a vertebrae. I was more than upset! He has been wearing a torso brace for 3 months.
forick

[This message has been edited by forick (edited 11-19-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 07:41 PM

Gela,

Dali signed my copy of "Hidden Faces".

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 07:51 PM

Rick & Cheri,

I've given up on sitting on the dock, my feet got too wrinkled. This week I'm going to troll in my dinge (sp?)What I'll do is tei the fishing line to my toe while I row towards SharkRay Alley. Good idea?

I met an email buddy last week that actually thought my idea of giving a 40% discount to buyers along with an secure offshore account for one year was a great idea. He was a lawyer (and art collector) so he naturally understood the logic/rationale behind my "scheme".

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 07:51 PM

Forick, I'm so jealous - my book has an inscription from my best friend rambling on about it being the next best thing to seeing his art exhibit in Chicago (I think). :-)

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/19/01 08:16 PM

Gela,

Actually what happened was that I had to buy it from him...he thought it was funny. I agreed only because he said it would be worth more than my paintings. I told him that "I was planning to give all mine away so what did that make your signed book worth?" He said, "I got your money don't I?"

[This message has been edited by forick (edited 11-19-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/20/01 12:59 AM

Gela,

Hows the weather down there today, I'm in Sac town lookin at dark clouds and feelin a cold chill blowin down my neck..... oops that's my _ _ _ _.

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/20/01 01:36 AM

Forick,
It's gloomy here today - expected rain but now they say it will come tonight. I just back from Cabo on Saturday and it sure is a rude awakening weather wise. But, in less than 3 weeks I'll be back in AC!
My Dali book cost $7.95, published in 1975. What's a good hard copy book go for these days - 19.95 or more? Geez, how'd I get so old? ;-)

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/20/01 01:40 AM

The same way I did...I blinked.

forick
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/28/01 01:25 PM

I think you jumped to a wrong conclusion.

If you have your preferences set to a small number of days such as say five, your post will seem to disappear after that time. It is still there but you have to set the number of days you wish to view to a higher amount.

This post will put you back on top and remove your depression.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 11-28-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/28/01 07:07 PM

OH! I didn't know that.

Now that I'm happy again is anyone up for a new (true) story about Dali and me?

forick
Posted By: cats

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/29/01 03:27 AM

Forick,My 16 year old in January fractured the 4th vertibre in his back and was in the $1500.00 body brace for the 3 months. Don't worry they heal quickly .His Doctors let him play football we just ended the season made it to the playoffs but was slamed last Saturday 34 to 0 .I was a wreck worring about his back but he is great now . Coming to Belize Dec.29 thru Jan 4 for diving . I am sure your son will be just fine too.
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/29/01 08:46 AM

Your welcome, forick. Yes, your apology... oh never mind.

They took my post off about fishin, there were a lota interesting stories and stuff there, I'm so depressed that I can hardly stand it UUggghhh.
Capt'n probably thought I was advertising when all I was doin was fishing....

forick

Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 11-29-2001).]

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/29/01 06:41 PM

CATS,
Your son must of had the same vertabrae break as mine, Our brace cost 1500 also.
The Doc said December before it could come off, because unfortunately he played for a month before we all figured out why he had such bad back pain. In the last game he tried to play he was in for one play and had to come out because he couldn't lift his legs. The Doc sent him to hospt and we determined that he had been playing and practicing for 2 months with this condition.

When it first happened he said he didn't want to quit because some of his team mates were accusing him of being a "slakker" cause he couldn't keep up, run faster, block harder etc.

It was quite a situation.. Now hes ready to play Rugby in January...mentally at least. We'll see how things go. He has to build up his back muscles first, that brace allowed his muscles to atrophy.

High school sports aregreatbut the coaching often leaves a lot to be desired.

forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/29/01 08:41 PM

Forick,
Tell us the new story about Dali!

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/29/01 08:48 PM

OKay, but I'm in the middle of composing a general letter to corporate art buyers, so it will be a little while. Which I plan on sending email to "them" if I can find them on the net. Not sure how to do it (find them) but there must be a way.

The new story will be titled "Wet Dreams in the Shower" If you read the above reply describing the wet tshirt fashion show you will know what the story might be about.

Later...forick

Re: I Got'a new scheme - 11/30/01 12:42 AM

OK Forick, I'll be patient. I'm headed to AC in 9 days - will check in on the board when I'm there. You better Belize It!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board