AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: BettyGib Shopping for household things - 10/11/02 09:55 PM
We're getting ready to think about outfitting our house in the Placencia area and would appreciate suggestions about places to buy household goods such as lamps, kitchen things, etc. For those of you who have outfitted houses or condos, what sorts of things did you bring from home and where did you shop in Belize? Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Shopping for household things - 10/11/02 10:46 PM
This should be interesting....we've had some people tell us to bring everything we can.....and others tell us to bring only what is a nessesary for "us"..and buy the rest there. You can get pretty much anything in BZ or Mexico...US will have some stuff of different quality. If you're looking for furniture, and don't want to bring it....go to the Mennonites in BZ......but-I have friends here that travel to Mexico with goods because the people prefer the quality from the states....can't wait to see the final answers!!! We've been trying to decide too!!! C
Posted By: d-jon Re: Shopping for household things - 10/12/02 03:43 AM
Betty, what sorts of things will you be looking for?

I would advise bringing as much as you can from the US.

Appliances here can be very costly.

I live here in Dangriga and there is
Home / Construction Store here by the name of
A&D's Construction.

If you would like an idea of the prices of stuff I will be willing to help.
[email protected]
Posted By: BettyGib Re: Shopping for household things - 10/12/02 09:07 PM
We're having furniture built in San Ignacio by Leah's furniture who are also doing cabinets and trim work for us. We'll need the mundane things like pots and pans, toaster, coffee maker, and the gadgets that one uses to fix food and drinks. We'll also need bedding and towells and lots of things we probably haven't thought about.

Your offer to check prices D-Jon is very kind. I hate to put you to any inconvenience. Is the store you mentioned fairly well equipped? Does one generally find better shopping in Belize City?
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Shopping for household things - 10/13/02 12:58 AM
What I was told: Cloth items (sheets, towels, etc) are not of the quality we are accustomed to. Since these items do not take up a lot of space and are not heavy I plan to bring from the states.
Dishes, glasses, tableware, pots and pans, etc. are expensive as is anything electrical. However, these tend to be heavy items. I am carefully thinking about just what I really need, not what I am used to having.
Harriette
Posted By: d-jon Re: Shopping for household things - 10/13/02 02:28 AM
Betty, I agree in bringing All you towels, sheets etc from the US.

As for pots, pans, toaster etc. there is a store in Belize City called "Mirab" where you can get all these stuff. Let me say though that the prices you're use to seeing will be a lot less than here.

You will no way put me out to check at A& D's on prices for you as I am there everyday since I am at the moment building my house too.

What about cooker, fridge freezer wahser etc?

There are some specially made for the Caribbean that are very good the brand is "Mabe"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shopping for household things - 10/13/02 04:21 AM
SAN PEDRO HAS SOME FINE FUNITURE CRAFTSMEN...
GRANIELS CABINATE SHOP..HAS EXTREAMLY BEAUTIFULL FUNUITURE..MOST OF DESIGNED BUY ARMANDO SR. HISEF...I DROOL SOMETIMES IN HIS SHOWROOM PON MIDDL ST.

4 POSTER BED ... GESZ SOMEBADDY SEND MI SOM CASH,,,JEJE
DINING ROOM TABLE...OUCH --EZQUISITE
DECK CHAIRS--BUILD MI WAHN DECK SOM DAY

DAYIIIMN--THE BELIZE WOOD CARVERS AND CABINETTE CRAFTSMEN ARE GOOD ....

OH YEAH... WHAT TO SHIP OR NOT....

TEK YUR OLD RATTY ASS - WHAT USED TO BE UPSCALE - FURNITURE AND SURPRIZE AN UNDER-PRIVALEGED FAMILY AWI THE DECOR OF THIER DREAMS....

THEN SUPPORT THE LOCAL WOOD WORKERS OF BELIZE .....
BUY BELIZE...AND ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YUR COUNCIENCE laugh
Posted By: BettyGib Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 01:45 AM
Thanks for all of the input. We are having furniture and cabinets made in Belize. Our house there will certainly have much more beautiful furniture than ours in VA. Thanks for the suggestions about sheets and towells; those should be rather easy to bring. We also don't need to do everything at once, but we're hoping to spend a week at Christmas time and want to be able to cook, etc.
Thanks for the tips about Mirab and the brand of appliances. I think that our builders are going to help us get stove and fridge, but I will mention the brand, D-Jon.
Posted By: d-jon Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 03:38 AM
Betty, as Dangriga is just about 1 - 1 1/2hrs away from Placencia, you can mention to your builders to check out A&D's Construction as I am sure they might know them too.
Posted By: seashell Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 08:37 AM
Betty, I can't say for sure since I haven't been to Mirabs, but it is my understanding that it is quite difficult to get good quality pots, pans and cooking utensils in Belize. If you don't mind the lighter weight pots then I guess it will not be a problem for you. For sure, I'd take a good can opener with me. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 03:38 PM
Betty,
We have furnished our San Pedro house over the last 2 years...
Bring all towels, linens, etc from the States. I would also suggest your kitchen small appliances as well as pots, etc... Mirab's has a small selection, but the quality isn't what you would get in say "Wal-Mart", and the prices are outrageous. If you ship everything at once, it really isn't that expensive. Just don't spend alot on knives, unless they are titanium... our expensive steak knife set promptly rusted, and they were stamped stainless.... frown
As for furniture, we have a combination. We wanted a leather sofa and a rocking chair, so those as well as MATTRESSES were shipped (the mattresses we found in BZ were awful!!). The rest of our furnishings are from BZ... I looked in the expensive design books and found some styles I liked, took the pictures to the woodcarvers, and it was very inexpensive--and first rate work.
Good luck and have fun!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 03:46 PM
I forgot... you may want to get your window and floor coverings from the states too. Blinds are expensive, and I have only found a few rugs in BZ... ( small bedside rugs, bathroom rugs etc.).

Mirabs does have a few lamps, but quite expensive. Another suggestion if you listen to CD's is to bring a CD player. We found those to be very expensive. We sent down 2 bedside clock/radio/cd players.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Shopping for household things - 10/14/02 09:13 PM
I was the first person I know to buy an airbed - back in the mid '80's. It lasted until last year when one of the baffles gave out. I said "OH well, it was on his side" and 'HE' was gone. frown LOL
(We must keep our sense of humor!)
This airbed was in a waterbed frame and was wonderful (I can't sleep on a waterbed.) Then six months later the sideboard fell off - yeah - on his side! eek No problemo! Until - Yikes, one day it went flat. I forgot about the screws sticking out from the broken frame. mad
The beds back together and I simply bought a queen-sized airbed designed for company or camping. It's great. wink
What's the point, you ask? confused This is what I intend to bring to Belize with me. Although it is on the heavy side it is small and can be put away (up high) when high water is expected.

For my island cabana I will simply have the builders build me a platform with a lip so the thing doesn't slip off. I want it high enough off the floor to store stuff under. I also have one of those marvelous net things that attach in four corners to the ceiling. I may see if the builder can just make tall legs so as to create a four poster effect to hang this from. I don't know if it will keep out the mosquitoes but it sure will look sexy!
Harriette laugh
Posted By: BettyGib Re: Shopping for household things - 10/16/02 01:52 AM
Thanks for all of the good suggestions! The air bed idea is intriguing. I'll be sure our builders know the store in Dangriga and we'll also check out Mirab. I am having fun just contemplating the whole idea and making plans and lists.
We live in the DC area and this is a welcome relief from sniper attacks. The way people on this board who one has never met offer help and assistance reminds me that people are more often good hearted and caring than cold and murderous. Thanks then, not only for the suggestions, but for helping to maintain my faith in people.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board