AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Definition of a Troll

Posted By: Islenutt

Definition of a Troll - 08/14/03 11:25 PM

FYI

This term has come up several times recently.
Here is a definition from a website that was posted here a few days ago that I found interesting. laugh

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, - just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 01:45 AM

Unfortunately I believe this Troll is here to stay.Wait till next week we will have another super alias for this bloke and he as usual will protest too much-Marty is in for a miserable late summer.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 02:14 AM

Pedro, get with Jim and trap this S.O.B. Maybe that will run him off.!

Ernie

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 02:17 AM

Very true Pedro...
I wanted to post the definition for the sake of clarity... we now all know what we are dealing with. smile
Posted By: Turnbun1971

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 02:24 AM

Islenutt: You hit the nail on the head. I'm so guilty of feeding the trolls. I have to learn to control that tendency.

To some people, any attention is good attention. Poor souls.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 02:28 AM

Turnbun - we all fall into that trap once in a while. Pure stupidity is hard to ignore anywhere in life.
This did give me the chance to look at your wedding photos!
They were beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 02:57 AM

Awwww, thanks! I like to post them for people getting married on AC so they can see what a "real" wedding looks like on the island.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 03:14 AM

That's great Turnbun! And beautiful pics they are too . . . just so long as you didn't post them for "the sake of clarity". hee hee
Posted By: Sigmond Frog

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 11:49 AM

For those that may be interested, the link that offers an abundance of information about flaming and related topics is:

http://www.advicemeant.com/flame/index.shtml

Happy reading and food for thought.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 10:44 PM

Seems like someone hasn't read the suggested material! :rolleyes:
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 10:48 PM

I am guilty, but I will now heed this very good advice.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/15/03 10:55 PM

LOL - Not you db - we know you could never behave like a troll!

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 02:10 AM

Is there any way to move this to the top of the board permanently so we can all review it from time to time? I know I've read it several times today just to keep myself in line. wink

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 02:26 AM

No worries Turnbun.... you are doing a fine job!
laugh
Posted By: JmHanna

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 03:35 AM

Toads name never came up on this thread yet--Hmmm?
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 04:38 AM

Been wondering about TOAD myself???? Hello JIM!!! C
Posted By: seashell

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 01:19 PM

Turnbun, copy and paste it onto a word document page. Then save that page in Word.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/16/03 04:05 PM

No, no, Isle, I didn't mean that I was guilty of being a troll, I meant that I was guilty of not reading the info here, and heeding the advice to IGNORE! Got it now!

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 12:00 PM

The fact is everyone exhibits a troll's behavorial characteristics to some degree, but none more than the misantrope.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 01:16 PM

I used to do the "fishing" type trolling, does that count?
Dad had lots of fun taking us fishing as little ones. It was the "big" ones that got away.

OK, back to the original topic laugh
Posted By: toad

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 01:23 PM

am i being labled as a troll?...atleast by a few?...well, i beg to differ, but since this is in the minds of the beholders....

lets have a vote...

yeah or nay
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 01:29 PM

Nay smile
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 01:53 PM

Speaking from a troll's perspective, the real drive behind the game is fun. Are you having fun?
If so, party on.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 04:53 PM

My guess is that misantrope is either a typo (missing an "h"), troll bait, or both.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 05:33 PM

You seem sensitive today, MA. Do you suspect that there is a direct correlation implied between the content of Frog's post and you? Did you link to the website above and review the troll/flaming info? If so, what were your observations? Is frog right? Do we all have troll behavior in us? Of course we do. It's just the extent that one is willing to propagate/enable the behavior.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 06:49 PM

The cream generally rises to the top. It's just an application of the socio-psychological concepts of cognitive consistency in behavioral patterns and avatar selection scenarios.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 07:13 PM

I guess that applies to all of us. So, what demographic does a dancing green frog represent?
And, I see you are linked to the same sight as I am for your animated avatar. Are you a gamer, hacker??????

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 07:17 PM

I liked the eye movement.

WooT WooT

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 07:34 PM

Not exactly the Myers-Briggs psychometric response I was looking for, nonetheless I believe I will use a anonymous proxy from now on.
Posted By: beach bob

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 07:44 PM

The cream generally rises to the top.
In the words of (I believe) Hunter Thompson:
The scum also rises

wink I think he was talking about politicians ...

Not seeking an arguement; I always seem to think of that line when I see the one about cream rising. I remain in admiration of all the cool avatars here laugh

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 08:02 PM

Gonzo has been on my reading list since I stumbled onto an article he wrote in rolling stone many years ago, where he ran for sheriff of aspen.

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 08:09 PM

So, Dogmatic Prevaricator, what does your avatar represent?

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/18/03 08:29 PM

You're the shrink, aren't you?

Re: Definition of a Troll - 08/19/03 12:39 PM

the Gonzo dude could find plenty of material here for a book "fear and loathing a message board -
from a troll's perspective" :p

nay toad

edited coz I left out something 1st time around...
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board