AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Brush with fame?

Posted By: toad

Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:10 PM

anybody got a story?....i ran into johny barbata...anyone know who he is?....
Posted By: govikes

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:12 PM

no. so it doesn't count if we don't know him. and i don't. haha.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:34 PM

that's really hyper rust. I believe I saw him playing drums with the Turtles way, way back.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:44 PM

Good memory Dog. I can still hear the words from "Elenore" and "You showed me".

PS: toad, here is one for you. Who was Don Murray?

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:52 PM

dog, you never cease to amaze...he lives about 5 miles from me....interesting dude...he also played with CSN&Y....jefferson airplane then starship...

i don't know who don murray is, but his names sounds like he might be a baseball player...

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 07:57 PM

by the way, dog, did you see the turtles?...where, when, state of mind?....
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 08:01 PM

He's the drummer Johnny Barbata replaced with the Turtles.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 09:29 PM

also played golf with johnny lee, for about 2 years, while he was hanging out in palm springs....
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 10:49 PM

that's a big giant step up from the neseldel club in pasadena eek

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/10/03 10:58 PM

was that a hot spot of activity?....inquiring minds want to know
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 02:37 AM

not as cool as johny barbata, but I met Gorby last year in Cleveland. Alot of charisma, very friendly, great smile - but the guy should wear a hat. I couldn't keep my eyes from straying to his birthmark.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 12:50 PM

yes, CA, 1968, groovin

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 02:13 PM

lucky you
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 02:34 PM

ok, ok toad....a better one. I talked to Alice Cooper at the "taste of cleveland" fest two years ago.

talked to the googoo dolls in memphis last year, but that is embarrassing to talk about :p

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 03:06 PM

the 17 year-olds' prophet

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 06:37 PM

i give....that was a reference to 'Eighteen'

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/11/03 06:38 PM

oh, i saw the wiggles....rock on

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 12:17 AM

had to reasearch this one....pretty cool, i think i can be fan. By all accounts this group is hotter than Barney and Sesame St. combined.
Posted By: Turnbun1971

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 12:48 AM

I had dinner with Linda Ronstadt (my sister was her record promoter and is still a good friend) a few years ago when she was in Dallas with my sister (well, my sister was in Dallas with her, really). She kindof looks like a Turtle now.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 12:50 AM

OH, and I've met George W. I guess he's famous!
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 01:12 AM

I had Christmas Dinner with Bill Thornton. Wild.

I had New Year's eve,eve with Paisano. Cool!

I exchanged touchy feely words with Dog. Oneness.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 04:11 PM

hey toad, the neseldel club was the hot spot for rock music in the country western drenched pasadena texas in the 70's. :p it was a wild place complete with wet t shirt contests on wednesday nights. does anyone out there remember? soon after the release of the urban cowboy, filmed down the street at gilleys club, mickey gilley set johnny lee up with a club called - get this - johnny lees. that was the end of rock and roll forever in pasadena texas because johhnny lee got the neseldel building. today it is a mexican food restaurant. i do have a funny story about johhny lee but i cannot relate it in fear of a lawsuit. maybe if you donate $10,000 to the san pedro social club in my name i will spill the beans laugh
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 05:30 PM

In 1954 I sang with Johnny Cash at the old Sun Records recording studio in Memphis. God rest his soul. frown

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 05:36 PM

he won't sue, besides i've got a bunch of good ones he told me about the height of his popularity....i could have been a good star, atleast with all the 'fringe' benefits...

once he was playing pool and got beat, he handed over his twenty and the guy wanted him to autograph it...so, he wrote 'thanks for the bj'...and the guy was running all over the club showing it to people without ever reading it...

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 05:38 PM

Immissing,

That's really cool. I take singing didn't develop into a career path for you.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 05:41 PM

now we're getting somewhere....what did you sing?....do tell more

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 05:47 PM

No, it didn't. The recording engineer was my next door neighbor (1/2 a mile down the road) I was in the booth, at the end of John's song, I made the comment that "Hell, I can sing that good" not knowing the sound switch from the booth to the studio was open. John promptly replied "Well git yer ass out here and let's see"!

PS, the song we did together was the "Orange Blossom Special"

Ernie

PPS, It has been well documented that I was a better Marine than singer !

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 09:00 PM

i sang in the shower once :rolleyes:

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 09:28 PM

laugh YEP, I remember! smile
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 09:32 PM

gay, u r too funny.

ok, i once met jay leno when he was still doing stand up, i met ernie banks (used to be a friend of my parents), and justin guarini lived in my neighborhood, i met his mom twice.

guess that's the best i can do.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 09:45 PM

ernie ur bad. we gotta get together. i have a big bag of ideas for ya to consider.

hey janie, i miss you. smile

i met warren moon when we were both waiting for the vallet to bring our cars around. that was before his incident with violence.

i always tell everyone at the rodeo that george straight is my cousin. you have to understand, the rodeo in houston is the biggest annual event.

i tell everyone at the texan games that david carr is my cousin.

both are lies, unless they are distant cousins that i don't know about. i do have a cousin that looks just like dick butkus sp.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 10:18 PM

who is justin guarini?
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 10:40 PM

I used to be travel agent for Graham Parker, Jules Shear & Robbie Robertson, amongst other Woodstock types. I met John Popper & the Blues Traveller guys in an airport when we were both stranded, before the band was really known.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 10:57 PM

Well, this looks like a "Name" dropping contest to me. I have either sang or played with or met the following, in no particular order:

Johnny Cash
Roy Oberson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis
John Lee Hooker
Lighting Hopkins

I may think of some more later. Senior moments, ya know.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 11:39 PM

kick ass

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/12/03 11:48 PM

HA! Just thought of two more. I was sitting in the hotel bar in Shrevport,La. one night, only a few people were there, myself and two other guys and the bar maid. We carried on a light converson for an hour or so and one of the guys ask me if I knew who we were talking to. No, Who? He said "Thats Roy Clark". I said, Naw. So I leaned over, didn't want anyone to hear me, and ask, "whats your name", "Roy", I said I'm Ernie >>>>>, he replyed"Roy Clark". He was playing the Lousianna Hay Ride that night. Small world!

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/13/03 07:30 PM

Bob Dylan?

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/13/03 09:17 PM

No, not Dylan. Played a round of golf with Marcus Allen at Wolf Creek Golf Club in Kansas City. He took $200 off me with no problem. Marcus shot a 75, me 88. Even with the handicap he beat me. But, he did buy the beer! And, he has a fantastic sense of humor, very funny guy.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 06:38 AM

OK, I had my brush with fame tonight. No kidding. Hubby and I belong to a formal dance club that meets 3 times a year. This club is 50 yrs old. Always a great time, with a great local bands.

Tonight, the band did not show up, and 150 people in their formal attire waiting. Much talk about what to do, I asked do you have a piano, they said yes. I said roll it out, I will find us a piano player. But, But I must negotiate his contract now, he must be allowed to smoke in this NO SMOKING zone, or he will not play...they agreed. hahaha We found him a saucer for his ashtray, and play he did.

My dear husband that has not played the piano circuit for 20 years, played his heart out and saved the night. Smokey Joe, plays again.

Smokey Joe had dressed all in black tonight in honor of Johnnie Cash, not knowing he would be the entertainment. One never knows what they will be called upon to do, in life. I am very proud of him.

It blows my mind to think a person has that kinda a talent stored up, with no notice, sheet muisc, or backup can just walk up, sit down and play for an hour and half without a break.

What a fun night. Got to love that retreaded Texan, from Chicago.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 07:04 AM

laugh
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 01:35 PM

laugh
Happiness is_______ smile
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 05:23 PM

Chloe - What a great night! You are a lucky woman. laugh smile laugh smile
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 05:36 PM

Meet Steven Tyler once at an old rock-n-roll bar named Savvys.....(lead singer of Aerosmth)me and a friend got to ride around Ft. Worth with him in his limo drinking champagne....Met Ted Nugent once too!!! laugh
Posted By: klcman

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 05:38 PM

I met Margie & Ada

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 06:16 PM

I met Lan smile
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/14/03 07:20 PM

I met Dexter Coakley and Darryl Johnson!!! tee hee..oh and Bob Lilley!!!

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 01:48 AM

What storys are we interested in? Famous people or what? I don't think just meeting someone qulifies.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 02:23 AM

The rules are confused

We all qualify to speak of who, where and when. :p
Posted By: klcman

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 03:05 AM

I also never met Imm .... does that mean I'm not brushed?

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 02:15 PM

Turn to the right, let me look. Now turn to the left...., checking for brush marks smile

Saw Elvis at a Buffalo Bills Game smile

Spent the evening with the "Spinners" through one of my friends. Her patient is a guest of the Spinners wherever they go and this time I went along too. She works for the V.A.

Am I brushed? smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 03:36 PM

It's so much fun to see who all you've met!! WOW-- Elvis at a Bills game, and singing with JC!!!! I'm impressed!!! I guess I grew up a bit different-- I met a ton of sports people (my mother dated a Dallas Cowboy- during the Staubach, Landry, Lilley days, and also dated a Buffalo Bill- during the OJ days). I cheered for a pro team, but I never really thought of them as "famous", they were just friends. In my early 20's, I worked for the group STYX, so through that, I got to meet a ton of music people, including Sinatra.
I guess the coolest thing for me now is that we had a famous Latin singer stay at Caribe Island about a month ago!!!!! Suite 26!!!!
I'm still excited about Elvis at a Bills game!!!! (I'll be at the Cinci game in a few weeks, what are the chances??????)
Cheerz,
Vicki

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 04:08 PM

Toad opened this topic, therefore, Toad controls the rules.

I have lived along time, and can name off a dozen famous people I've spent time with, mostly that time was spent before they became famous.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 04:25 PM

Elvis will be there smile
Posted By: chismera

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 04:47 PM

Elvis is alive and well and livin' in Belize

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/15/03 05:27 PM

For SURE! I saw Elvis in San Pedro, I'm fairly sure.

My kids were up close and friendly with STYX in their very early days, performing in small places.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 12:42 PM

My brushes with fame are from the lunatic fringe........I met and talked with Ernest Borgnine at the Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA, during Christmas 1967.

and.........Buffalo Bob & Howdy Doody when I was a youth.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 01:38 PM

I met "Clarabelle" the clown smile I was very young laugh
Posted By: Marty

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 02:06 PM

i was on romper room in 1961.

the famous people i have met are also along the lunatic fringe. they include jesse jackson, bill clinton a few times (and several of his now famous staff), nelson rockefeller, LBJ, nixon, teddy kennedy, george mcgovern, geraldine ferraro, walter mondale, can you tell i'm a political beast?

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 02:17 PM

My thoughts as I read it, lol @ Marty smile
Romper Stomper Bomber Boo......tell me tell me laugh

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 02:20 PM

Hey Marty,
Ever meet any famous interns?
Cheerz!
Posted By: Debbie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 02:42 PM

Sat next to Stevie Nicks in a hair salon in Austin, Texas once. Didn't recognize her. (Her hair was wet and no make up on) My young son had his match box cars with him and was bored so he was playing with her. Rolling cars up and down her arm. Then they started playing chase around the salon. He came around a corner and ran full force into her crotch with his head, and nearly knocked her down. OUCH!!! That's when my hair dresser told me who it was. I about died. She did invite me to her Halloween concert that night and gave me two tickets!!!!! laugh laugh laugh I guess wild ass rug rats are good for something.
Had a part as an extra in the movie Raggedy Man while I was in college. Sat right across the table from Sissie Spacek for dinner during filming. She was a very nice, and down to earth person.
What's the guys name that played Hogan on Hogan's Heroes???? Whatever his name is, I went to see him perform at a dinner theatre while in college, and after the performance he asked me and my roomate to go out for drinks. I was mortified and politely declined. He was a bit old for me. Seemed like a bit of a letch.
That's it for the famous!!!!
Debbie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 03:14 PM

no interns, but i did meet a couple watergate burglars
Posted By: CAPTAIN bigzeke

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/16/03 04:55 PM

Hey Debbie his name was Bob Crane and he was a pervert. No wonder you met him and the Zekester too. LOL He was murdered and was into some real kinky sex too. You would have had a way better story if you took him up on his invite. LOL Hey you might of been lucky just having a drink with the Zekester. Ha Ha!

Oh yea, I met CHOO CHOO and slow danced with him at Caribe Island.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 03:53 PM

Zeke....
Geesh... Thanks for the info on Bob Crane..... Holy Moly am I glad my gut instincts were correct. Murdered huh??? Where have I been????????? I knew he had died, but wasn't aware of "how".
So you danced with Chooch??? Did he talk you into the tidy bowl drink???? As I've stated before..... that stuff is nothing but jet fuel..... eek Hold on to your socks!!! Email me sometime.. The address is the same.
Say Hello to Joanie for me....
Debbie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 05:31 PM

Now that I know you dated Bob Crane you will be hearing a lot more from me. LOL

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 06:03 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Gee, thanks......... Not exactly the kind of attention I was looking for, but it will be nice to hear from you anyway. :p
Debbie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 06:57 PM

Ahhh shucks, don't mention it!

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 08:47 PM

man immissing, you sure played with some amazing folks!

elvis? lightning? WOW!!! thats a hell of a list!!!

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/17/03 09:23 PM

Well Marty, I would have to look back to be sure, but I think I said I "either played,sang with or met".... Elvis falls under the "Met" catagory. Back in the mid 60s, slot car racing was all the fad. Either 1/24th scale or 1/32nd scale. I owned a facility (10,000 sq. ft.) with 5 tracks ranging fron a 50 footer to the monster 250 footer. Elvis lived very near and really got into to this thing. I would close up at 11:00 pm, cover the front windows with brown paper, so noone could see in, and Elvis and his crew would show up and "play" until 4/5 am. I was called "E" by a lot of my friends and Elvis also went by "E". So, my name was "E2" and Elvis was just "E". Everytime someone would holler "HEY E" we would both holler "WHAT"? Thus the "E2" thing. FYI.

Ernie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/18/03 12:05 AM

simply amazing....
E2... love it!

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/18/03 03:15 AM

Ernie,
My dad also had a slot car track, in Jacksonville, FL. Those were the good old days, it was too much fun. He still has his track (albeit in about 5 zillion pieces) in his garage. Used to have huge 4th of July races. Haven't thought about that for years-- thanks for the memory.
Cheerz,
Vicki
Posted By: sarahsmile

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 01:01 AM

This was amusing reading this! I got a good laugh from Marty and romper room...though I wasnt around for his episde...lol! I met a lot of playboy bunny dancer girls in Atlantic City as a kid...they even tried to get me on stage to pull a tiger cub out from behind the curtain but I gave up the opportunity for fame so that my sister could do it.....she is now a professional dancer/dance instructor herself! As for famous people I am aware of meeting (haha) are Muhammid Ali (on the concord airplane with his daughter-when I was a youngin' coming to the states from England) and John Bowman 'Bowser'- Shan-Na-Na (well I got his autograph in Atlantic City Anyways!) I was on the news during the 98 Florida wild fires...even if my actual job(as a fill in firefighter) there was a joke...I still made the news a few times! Even got a clip with the County Executive who insisted on carrying fire gear bags for me! LOL

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 02:33 PM

GET OUT MARTY!!!!!!
YOU WERE ON ROMPER ROOM?????? cool
I watched romper room every day of my lil life back then. miss patty was my hero. i wrote her letters all the time. smile
each morning we sang "bend and stretch,,,,reach for the sky,,,,,standing on tippee toes oh so high."
now marty is my hero :p
gay

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 03:32 PM

Gay,
YOu sound like you and I were cut from the same mold..... I was such a good little "Do Bee". And yes, the magic mirror was the high light of my day. When I broke my official romper stompers that I got from Santa, I made my own out of rope and coffee cans!!! laugh laugh laugh Even had my birthday announced on the air one year. Thanks Mom!!!
Debbie

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 04:13 PM

OMG DEBBIE!!!!!!
do be a doobee,,, don't be a don't bee,,,
Posted By: RobertE

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 04:23 PM

What's this about doobies? Oops, wrong kind of doobies.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 04:35 PM

maybe you should change the subject to boobies

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 04:57 PM

i was a good doo bee. i still have my romper room diploma. and photos of me on the show, pics mom took of the tv. i'm a sweet looking lil boy. god knows what happened.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/19/03 05:22 PM

marty, you are a celebrity, no wonder they named a storm after you.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/20/03 06:00 AM

this is sweet...i think i'm welling

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/20/03 08:04 PM

?? ya ever met a mQQse ??

i met chloe...a refined appearing..sweet breath of fresh air

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/20/03 08:05 PM

Welling to do what, Toad ? Myself, hell I'll try anything once, maybe twice.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/20/03 09:21 PM

I met E2 at the Hideaway, so it was like meeting E, once removed. :rolleyes:

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/21/03 12:36 AM

For Sure, I met the Majestic Moose.

Re: Brush with fame? - 09/23/03 01:58 AM

MISS ANTHROPY!!! I knew I liked you!

GOOOOOO Jacks, GO!!! I am a graduate of SFASU -- 1994. How funny! LOVED that school. The best time ever. I'm going back for Homecoming this year for a pledge class reunion. I can't wait to visit the old stomping grounds.

Did you know that Crossroads has been torn down and is being made into a faculty parking lot? So so so sad.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board