AmbergrisCaye.com Home

What is a crime

Posted By: Pedro1

What is a crime - 06/24/04 12:58 AM

I would like to know what people think is a crime and what is not in SP.
1. Is drug dealing a crime?
2. Is drug taking a crime?
3. Is drug purchasing a crime?
4. Is burglary a crime?
5. Is drinking alcohol to excess a crime?
6. Hoolaganism?
7. basic Robbery?
8. Breaking the laws of Belize?

lastly should we as board members etc. follow the laws of Belize or should we follow what we think ought to be the laws.
Posted By: scubabarbi

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 01:17 AM

cool Well as Bill Clinton would ask, "What is your definition of is"? laugh
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 01:33 AM

Well, The jury may be out on #5, but yes we should follow the laws of Belize if we reside or visit in the country. What we think "should be the laws" might well be defined as anarchy.
Posted By: Jock Dawson

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 01:37 AM

An overly simple and imperfect answer might be: If there is a written law prohibiting an act and said act is committed, that would be a crime. Unfortunately, I don't know of one place anywhere where you'll find all of the written laws equally enforced. That's because the power base in the community allows and protects this situation. Personally I am a mind your own business and I'll mind mine person. If drugs were legalized you could choose to engage in the commerce and use of same, or not. It would remove the black market aspects. Sure you would still have your share of hopeless dopeheads, just like you have your share of hopeless drunks. You'll always have your share of hopeless assh*les too, but its only a fraction of humanity. My problem with the crime situation as it exists in San Pedro/AC is that is hipocritical, and that's a nice word for it. Communities are how the members want them to be. San Pedro is still one of the best places to be, but it like every other place is dynamic and is subject to change according to its community's mores and needs and desires. That's what the Chamber is trying to get going, a community that will respond to all of the issues that affect it negatively in this case. Crime, drugs, potholes, hurricanes, the list goes on. No need to shut down the discussions. People will still visit and spend their money.

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 04:54 AM

I give in most people obviously want crime to be compartmentalised in SP-Drugs are(from what I can see) are wanted/needed by visitors and residents in SP-I would like the chamber to vote one way or the other-
The vote would be -We actively support the useage of drugs on Ambergris Caye or we as a responsible body of people decry the breaking of the laws of Belize.
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 11:56 AM

I agree with every single word you wrote... 100% but before I go any further let me take just one more toke here and I should be fine... eek Geez, that Instant Gremlin looks so cool.....
Posted By: toad

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 02:50 PM

Crime: the attaining by natural or artificial selection of perfect breasticles and not showing them to me....

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 04:35 PM

I'm trying to imagine "perfect breasticles" and I don't think I like what I am imagining... eek eek
Posted By: KWIBMF

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 05:05 PM

I would like to know the answer to #5. Is it legal to stagger down the beach after too many Belikins, or was I just lucky not getting thrown in jail on dozens of occasions?
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 05:14 PM

staggering babe

[Linked Image]
Posted By: KWIBMF

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 05:24 PM

Another consequence of too many Belikins.
Posted By: dolphin

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 06:07 PM

Yes Pedro, the Chamber of Commerce is against crime. As you get older and wiser (Oh, sorry, you are already older), you will realize that life consists of an array of degrees. Pain, pleasure, and even crime.

As a business organization, being against all crime does not preclude us from being more concerned about more serious crimes like murder, rape, and those causing bodily harm.

Our existence is to deal with the biggest issues that effect tourism and our island's attractiveness. Not that the little issues are not important, but one step at a time is a more practical approach.

Even among the drug crimes, being more concerned about "crack" that even turns the user against their own families, than other drugs is not an unrealistic attitude.

There is a law against drinking outside, and I am sure you will agree, that is pretty low on many people's list of concerns when compared to crimes involving bodily harm to others.

These Message Boards often get silly and petty, and glad that some people get enjoyment out of them, but the Chamber would rather not extend them by useless debates. We are too busy actually trying to accomplish something.
Posted By: seashell

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 06:45 PM

But, but, but . . . what is the Chamber planning on doing about the sandflies? wink
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 06:49 PM

A crime happens when a poor person does something to annoy a rich person. So doing crack on the street is a major no no but snorting coke in a million dollar mansion is OK. So getting drunk and sleeping on the beach is a no no but getting drunk and driving your golf cart back to your hotel is OK. So snatching a purse is a big no no, but starting a business and using it to steal millions is OK. So picking up a cheap hooker on the street is a no no, but paying for a visit from a high class call girl is OK. etc...
Posted By: bywarren

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 06:56 PM

So how does that make all you useless debaters feel? Although it should be comforting knowing the powers that be are there to lock you out if you become too silly and petty. Keeps you from raping, murdering or causing bodily harm. Pedro, you better make sure your Chamber dues are paid up or you might not be considered a member in good standing. wink
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 07:29 PM

too true Chris W!
Posted By: Bobber

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 09:08 PM

I will weigh in with Dolphin. Jock makes a good point. The rest of this thread is just tedious. Pedro, #5 on your list is a good case in point. The act of drinking excessively is a personal choice at any given point in time. So what if you ruin your own liver, no one else gets hurt (except maybe your family, but screw them, it's your choice). On the other hand, if you're drunk and run over some old lady or kid, then it becomes a problem. Be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions. Although the action may not be a crime, the direct consequences can very well be. This is all common sense 101. Argue all you want on the specifics. Have a nice day.
Posted By: Zagnut

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 10:31 PM

That gorilla has a pretty nice rack, but her legs are too bony...

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 10:55 PM

Unbelievable-the chamber is only worried about what they deem as serious crimes-Is this also the view of the American Embassy-are we going to see the American Ambassador stating ecstasy and pot are ok to use in belize but crack is not.
PS I will always be younger that the President of the Chamber of Commerce(and I being a member did not personally verbally attack him -perhaps a realisation is that I have to vote whichever way the Chamber wants me to,and I sincerely disagree with his and the chambers views on this subject(if indeed he speaks for the entire chamber)-perhaps the Chamber should supply drugs that they deem acceptable and then perhaps that would stop the beach drug dealers pursuing their trade.
Perhaps all members of the Chamber should state whether they use any type of illegal drugs(determined by the gov't. of Belize)
I for one do not use any illegal drugs
Posted By: toad

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 11:12 PM

maybe the chamber should get together with hand full of fatties, order pizza and beer, then have their debates.....
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: What is a crime - 06/24/04 11:26 PM

I heard that was what the chamber meetings were like anyway (minus the fatties!) My rep on the island will not even attend anymore - says it is a bunch of Gringo expats looking for yet another excuse to get drunk. This is not my personal opinion - just related to me.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:09 AM

While I do not attend all of the meetings, I think that view of the ACCOC is way off base. First, don't tell the fair number of Belizeans that do attend EVERY MEETING that you are lumping them into the Gringo Expat group. Our manager Jules Escalante is a Board Member and is one of many Belizeans that are involved with the Chamber.
And I don't drink, so it's not an excuse for me to get drunk. Personally, I've never seen anyone drunk at our meetings. Granted, we might not always keep our focus like we should, but about 98% of the time, the Chamber is trying to help this tiny island, and it's residents. I can also tell you that MANY projects aren't accepted, as they don't really affect the local businesses. But Tom and the board do an amazing job of ferreting out the ideas that might not be the best projects, and they work tirelessly to reduce crime, to reduce the awful traffic problem, to reduce trash, to help the local children when possible, and the list goes on.
I for one, support the Chamber and their efforts.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:13 AM

Ibanole-So do you or do you not use illegal drugs?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:25 AM

Pedro1,
I do not. I can't say I never have, but it's been over 20 years.
Vicki

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:27 AM

So do you agree with the Chambers view of soft and hard drugs and their attitudes on what is a crime and what is not? for example is it the same to smoke pot as it is to drink alcohol on the street? Viewpoints are needed

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:37 AM

Pedro you are really hung up on taking notes about who in town takes which drugs. Aren't you in fact a drunk? Is alcohol a drug in your book? It is on the law books of Belize. It is a controlled substance. Word has it that you have committed acts which are unlawful in Belize like drinking alcohol in the street and in motor vehicles, to mention a couple. You may be younger than Tom V (dolphin) but you look 20 years older than he does. Would this be due to your drug of choice and the way you often commit crimes while intoxicated? I also prefer alcohol to other drugs so I'm not being overly critical of your choice.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 12:45 AM

Good lord-I do not and have never owned a motorised vehicle in Belize -What crimes have I committed -be very careful here-I have no idea who you are but you know who I am(possibly)-remeber all I am talking and writing about the laws of belize which i did not write but do follow-Do you believe various laws of Belize should be disregarded.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:10 AM

I never said you owned a motor vehicle, but you have been in one while it was operated on public streets while drinking booze or beer, come on be honest. It is also a crime (misdemeanor I probably) for you to stroll with a drink and/or while intoxicated through the public town areas. But you do and so do lots of other locals and visitors. Big deal, right? But wait, you are committing an unlawful act under the laws of Belize. You ask do I believe various laws of Belize should be disregarded. My answer is this: I belive various laws of Belize ARE disregarded, both to the benefit of some, and to the detriment of others. You and I and many others live on both sides of that fence depending upon the day and circumstance, and you know it. I cannot respond to the shoulds or should nots when the laws are blatently enforced with such disparity. Why should I get up in arms that some gringo is tripping on Ecstacy or cocaine in the privacy of his own abode while you and the crack heads are out in public doing your particular choice of obnoxious and possibly illegal behavior? If you or some crackhead harass me on the street I don't care if you are drunk, stoned, or just cranky, it is annoying and a deterernt to my enjoyment. It happens every day, and you and I and the crackheads and the tourists may all be engaged in this behavior albeit breaking different laws while doing so, and using different chemicals in the process. Example - a laboror resident of San Pedro appears to be publicly intoxicated. One half block down the sandy street in the same full view of police personnel, you or a visiting tourist is also publicly intoxicated, same thing, drunk and obviously so. Let's say a verbal confrontation takes place between you and some tourist while you're both drunk. The laboror and another laboror are also in the process of fighting. The laborors will be the ones inspected and hasseled by the police instead of you or the tourist 99.9% of each occurence of the above scenario. So what is your point about law enforcement? We both seem to agree it is not equally dished out to all people. But you benefit from this dilemma as much as the cocaine snortin' expats or pillars of society.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:20 AM

So cocaine sholud be allowed?
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:22 AM

...since we're nit-picking here, I don't believe Jock Dawson claimed that you "owned a motor vehicle in Belize" Pedro1. What was being questioned/inferred was whether you have ever engaged in the consumption of an alcoholic beverage while IN a motor vehicle???

Me, "yes" so don't bother asking.

With repect to "laws being disregarded," Pedro1, you paint it as a very black and white issue. All laws being equal. Jaywalking? The 15mph speed limit in town??? Or lets examine some LAWS on the books say (for the sake of choosing any old country) the UK: "London hackney carriages (cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats." Hmmmmm... makes sense. If ever I find myself living in the UK employed as a London cabbie, I will most certainly respect that law. Oh wait, that was repealed in 1976, whew!!! (but man, those hayless/oatless 1975 cab drivers deserved to have the book thrown at 'em!!!)

For what it's worth, ChrisW hit the nail on the head above. It's about economics and power. Take a look at the population in any prison in any country and that becomes painfully clear.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:27 AM

Pedro I answered your question with sincerity. So why don't you answer mine before asking further details. Go on, step up.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:28 AM

I agree -ChrisW is correct as is SF Jeff -therefore the rich people who belong to to the C of C have a right to break the laws of Belize.
Do we agree that more people who have emigrated here have decided that they have the right to break the laws of Belizw because some are less important than others and therefore in their opinion they do not countps.
I will pay any fine that the police/traffic in regard to any law that I may have nroken

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:34 AM

Perfect response. Too bad you took the low road and inserted the ambiguous word "rich People" into your bogus sentiment. Step up Peter and tell us who in San Pedro you are having a tiff with because of their personal transgressions under the law of Belize, as minor as they may be to the health and safety of Belize.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:36 AM

Great, agreed, end of discussion/thread.

So what is at all new and insightful about any of this: that (anywhere, not just in Belize) there is a disparity in the manner in which laws are enforced based upon economics, race, gender, etc, etc... wow... what news... stop the presses... the world is unfair.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:39 AM

...and really, if you Pedro1 want to play Larry Flynt and "out" the hypocrites, why don't you just do it??? Why beat around the bush??? Offer up a reward (free beer/drugs?) for any information outing rich lawbreaking gringos on Ambergris.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:42 AM

From my earlier post above: "Unfortunately, I don't know of one place anywhere where you'll find all of the written laws equally enforced. That's because the power base in the community allows and protects this situation. Personally I am a mind your own business and I'll mind mine person." So be it.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:48 AM

OK lets say Thusdays is "Burglers Day" and no-ome gets arrested = does that amy sense?

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:52 AM

No, you got it all wrong... Let say Thursdays is "Burglers Day" and no caucasians, property owners, politicians, celebrities, nor individuals in the top 10% tax bracket get arrested... oh wait, that's EVERY day.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:55 AM

OK -Let us make friday's drug dealing day

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 01:57 AM

ok, but MAN am I gonna be cranky on Thursdays...
Posted By: lovey and thurston

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:00 AM

May be a moot point, but will everyone who lives in San Pedro, please raise their hand? (Pedro of course does , as we know)

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:02 AM

I actually am very concerned that the Chamber advocates or implies it is not important that the breaking of any law whether it be drinkinging alcohol on the street or the useage of drugs is something they should take a position on.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:03 AM

Yes, I do.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:15 AM

Maybe we should inform Marty where drugs are available and that will help all board members

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:18 AM

Where (above) do you read that the Chamber either "advocates breaking and disregarding laws" or that their "position" is anything but being against (all) illegal activities???

quote: "being against all crime does not preclude us from being more concerned about more serious crimes"

Is it that you disagree with the prioritizing of crimes? Or do you disagree with the way crimes ARE prioritized??? Or do you simply have a beef w/ member(s) of the C of C. The C of C for god's sake is a business organization made up of (100's?) of individuals. They obviously have their "official position" on crime. If your whole point with this thread is that not every individual MEMBER of the C of C lives up to the offical positions voiced by the organization, welcome to politics/business. Again, "Wow, stop the presses"... All for me on this thread.

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:30 AM

Should not all laws be adhered to!!
Posted By: Chris

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:40 AM

I only have one opinion on this matter: IF there were no illegal drugs on Ambergris Caye, or Belize for that matter, there would be a lot less crime.

Big "IF"

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:57 AM

Peter what do YOU think: Answer this: Should not all laws be adhered to??
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 03:22 AM

This thread is making me laugh!!! Love it!! Pete...your spelling is not at it's best??? Hard day????? Go ahead-ATTACK.....lol...C......laws are broken everday in everyway all the time....best just to not get caught....if so, pay the prices....it's all any government wants anyhow...your $$$$$$.....Doplhin -keep up the great job!!!!!!!! C
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 04:14 AM

I don't believe that the establishment of law is just a scheme for the government to make money. Most laws are established to eliminate harm to one's self, others, or the general welfare. I can not even believe that I agree with Pedro1, but...

Re: What is a crime - 06/25/04 02:12 PM

Perfection and hypocrisy. We are all imperfect. Whether it is adhering to all of the commandants of our religion, very few are without sins, or adhering to all of our laws. Hell, even I got caught, just once, driving a golf cart without having my license in my possession. Sorry Pedro, I never told you about that.

Seriously, it is all a matter of degree And, we are judged in the end in our totality by a higher power, for those believing in a higher power. And, we are judged along the way by our peers. That is where the hypocrisy comes in. San Pedro is a small place and it is often difficult to conceal ones lack of perfection.

I donít have a problem with a priest breaking the law by going 5 miles over the speed limit on his way to my house for dinner. I do have a problem with that priest stopping along the way to molest a child. I donít have a big problem with my San Pedro neighbors accidently parking their golf cart on the wrong side of the street for that time of the month. I do have a problem with people living in San Pedro providing the cocain for a party where someone odís and dies, true incident. Or selling crack to young people. And I have a larger problem when some are so hypocritical as to represent themselves as pillars of the community and partake in exactly what they profess to be against.

I will not be the sinner to cast the stones. I am not inferring that this is in reference to anyone in particular. But, I will infer that hypocrisy is alive and well in San Pedro. I just hope that perfection is never a goal thought not to be worthy of striving for. And, I am not in favor of lowering our expectations, or our laws, just so we can meet them.

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 12:20 AM

Bywarren - If it is the will of the majority of the people to use/sell/distribute various drugs with the exception of crack -we surely have to bow to that will and should expect the laws to be changed very soon because we will have been judged by a jury of our peers.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 12:43 AM

cool Harriette

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 12:43 AM

Dear SFJeff,

Thank you for handling the sillier remarks. Pedro has a difficult time with English, he only understands British.

Pedro says:
"the Chamber advocates or implies it is not important that the breaking of any law... "

What the Chamber said was:
"As a business organization, being against all crime does not preclude us from being more concerned about more serious crimes like murder, rape, and those causing bodily harm.

Our existence is to deal with the biggest issues that effect tourism and our island's attractiveness. Not that the little issues are not important, but one step at a time is a more practical approach."

Let me try this statement:
WE DO NOT ADVOCATE OR IMPLY THAT ANY LAW IS NOT IMPORTANT, NOR DO WE ADVOCATE OR IMPLY TO BASE THE LEVEL OF ENFORCEMENT WITH ANY REGARD TO RACE OR WEALTH.

On a personal level, if you think I am going to put someone toking a joint in their house or at the end of a pier on an equal crime level as a woman being raped, you are wasting your breath (or in this case, computer bites). Even the law makes distinctions in degree of a crime. Now the way it is applied is often corrupted by money or race, but that is not something I can do anything about.

(Pedro, please have someone whom understands English interpret all of this posting for you.)

SIDE NOTES:
If our meetings were for a bunch of gringo drunks, we would have them at BC's, and would have allot more fun.

Pedro is a Chamber Member in good standing, contributed numerous good suggestions and advice, and is welcome at all meetings.
Posted By: Badco

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 12:55 AM

As a visitor & not a resident, I will keep my opinion brief since nobody cares anyway. The only problem I have is that there is a bias. If they are going to arrest a local for, let's say, an open container while walking the streets & not the tourist who is with that resident, then I have a problem with that. I've been coming for the last 5 years & I am always amazed at what the locals get reemed for, even while the tourists do the same thing. Post the "laws" in the guest rooms & educate everyone. As someone already stated, the laws are enforced very sporadically anyway, and often times only on certain groups & in certain areas. I think that is messed up.....
I'm glad to see that the cops are gonna lighten up on people with small amounts of smoke on them. If I lived there, robbery & physical harm would be on the top of my list. I'll get off the soap box now.

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 05:45 AM

dolphin: welcome back to the land of "useless debates". I am glad you decided to join us in being "silly and petty". Hope you also get some "enjoyment" from this. wink Sorry, just couldn't resist using your words. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I disagree. It is just interesting to me how we view and characterize each others positions based on our own beliefs. And instead of sticking to the issues, we attack the forum i.e. a useless debate, or we try to suggest that the oposing views are "silly and petty", even if they are, instead of concentrating on presenting why our views should be accepted.

PS: you do present your views though, and I realize it can be hard not to take a poke at Pedro once and a while. smile

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 07:00 AM

Not everyone has your self-discipline, bywarren. wink

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 03:13 PM

right, just notice I used the word "we". I'm not the "pot calling the kettle black". Whoops, probably shouldn't have used the word "pot". Just trying to keep this on a higher level. Whoops, better not talk about getting high. :rolleyes:

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 05:07 PM

Pedro1: "...lastly should we as board members etc. follow the laws of Belize or should we follow what we think ought to be the laws."

and Pedro1: "Should not all laws be adhered to!!"

Peter, I posed your last question back to you for an answer. You asked for responses to all of your questions, and I gave you my answers. You have yet to answer your own question Peter. "Should not all laws be adhered to!!". You did phrase it very awkwardly, but there is a question in there somewhere.

Come on, answer Your own question here on the board.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 07:46 PM

Who's editing/deleting messages?

Re: What is a crime - 06/26/04 11:15 PM

Tom - as long as people in positions of influence and wealth on our island approve of and use illegal drugs (especially Class A drugs) there WILL be crime, some of it violent.This is done by supporting their local drug dealers.

Is it OK for people of influence and wealth to approve of and use illegal drugs?

When Mayor Guilliani was elected he started a zero tolerance policy on all crimes and that brought the New York crime figures down into the cellar-should the chamber not support this view or lets be truthful would it upset to many of the prominent chamber members or important accquaintances.

Re: What is a crime - 06/27/04 12:59 AM

Dearest Pedro,

How many times can I say that all crimes should be dealt with according to the law.

The answer to your question above is:
It is not OK for ANYONE to commit a crime, and whomever does, should accept the consequences of their actions.
And I have never had a Chamber member express anything otherwise.

But you, whom does not attend meetings, seem to have a delusion that the Chamber is made up of prominent citizens on drugs or that support drugs.
The Chamber is made up of a wide variety of people that would like to maintain or improve our island life. Beyond that, it is not my business to question their private lives, including those who drink entirely too much.
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 04:38 AM

Curiously quiet this topic has become, where is Pedro hiding? ...pray tell. Come out come out wherever you are Pedro.

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 05:18 AM

He's probably passed out somewhere contemplating his next attack.
Posted By: Now Danny

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 11:52 AM

Let him up. He's all cut. :rolleyes:

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 12:32 PM

Originally posted by ScubaLdy:
Who's editing/deleting messages?
hmmmm dunno ScubaLdy, but I posted that I would pay the sum of $1,000 to the person I thought eventually wins this debate. Unfortunately I can't find that posting now either. whew! eek

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 03:43 PM

Tom says "Beyond that, it is not my business to question their private lives, including those who drink entirely too much."

Apples and oranges, Tom. If we stopped illegal drugs from reaching Ambergris Caye we'd be following the law AND crime would decrease.

Booze isn't illegal.

The pillars of our society who "privately" use illegal drugs in their homes assure the success of the drug trade. Unfortunately the side effects include violent skeleton-framed crackheads, shattered families and crime. Until a way is found to eradicate these horrors there will be no good way for illegal drug use to be a part of our lives, no matter how responsibly or privately we think we are using them.

Wealthy people who buy and use illegal drugs, however privately, help destroy poor people.

Of course, Plan "A" would be the legalisation of certain drugs. But, we're a million light years away from that so we're stuck with Plan "B", whatever that is.

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 04:06 PM

Chris surely you can see that the illegal use of alcohol is as destructive to the community as is the illegal drug use.
And yes alcohol is legal, as a privilege, but has laws which define its legal uses. I'd say at least as much damage, harm and untimely death can be attributed to those who over indulge in the use of the legal but potentially deadly substance called alcohol. Illegal is illegal, wasn't that Pedro's point before he disappeared from this discussion he initiated but refuses to answer up to? It looks to me like his whole point of this thread was to call illegal drug users down and basically blame them for all of the crime in San Pedro, all the while he is free in his own mind to drink to the point of oblivion on most occasions and wreak his own brand of lawbreaking havoc on the town of San Pedro. No real progress can be attempted until reality and truth are engaged.

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 05:20 PM

"Jock," I am quite sure that when Pedro gets to a computer this morning he will address your post.

I'm not sure how Pedro is breaking the law with regards to drinking...I haven't seen him "wreak lawbreaking havoc" here as a result of beer ingestion. Where or who do you get your information from?

And, your reference to the "illegal use of alcohol"...I assume you're talking about under age drinking....yes, I agree, it's very harmful. How does this apply to 47 year old Pedro?

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 05:40 PM

Pedro is *only* 47!?!? OMG

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 06:04 PM

Public intoxication is crime, just ask those sanpedranos who are cited for it. Peter may be 'luckier' than some others, but he gets just as publicly intoxicated as some who are actually charged. PI is an illegal use of alcohol. Peter is not a bad guy as far as I can tell, and yes we've met. It is unnecessarily devisive of him to start a rally against local people who are trying to make the town a better place to live and visit though.
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: What is a crime - 06/28/04 08:11 PM

Anyone ever noticed the drugs available across the counter in Belizean Drug stores and clinics that are highly illegal without a prescription in the States? Ever notice workers using paraquat and other illegal chemicals that are shipped to 3rd world countries. 10 years ago all the saccharin products were outlawed in the US and promptly sent to BZ and other available outlets. Adult decisions require adult responsibility and restitution when caught. Believe me, I have been there and got the t-shirt...........bfgibby
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board