AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: MALIBU What does this mean? - 11/17/04 03:23 PM
per ardua ad astra

It is on a memorial in Germany to WW2 POW's. I might be spelled incorrectly....
Posted By: NYgal Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 03:30 PM
The Royal Air Force Motto
" Per Ardua ad Astra"

"Per Ardua ad Astra", which he translated as, "Through Struggles to the Stars".

Colonel Frederick Sykes
Posted By: MALIBU Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 03:39 PM
Ahhhhhhh, thank you so much.

Now, did you search for that info on the net or did you happen to know? If you knew, how did you find out?
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 04:23 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MALIBU Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 04:26 PM
You are a strange one dear.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 04:41 PM
As far as can be ascertained, the motto of the Royal Air Force dates back to 1912 and the formation of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). The first Commanding Officer of the RFC (Military Wing) was Colonel Frederick Sykes. He asked his officers to come up with a motto for the new service; one which would produce a strong esprit de corps.

Shortly after this, two junior officers were walking from the Officers' Mess at Farnborough to Cody's Shed on Laffan Plain. As they walked, they discussed the problem of the motto and one of them, JS Yule, mentioned the phrase "Sicictar ad Astra", from the Virgilian texts. He then expanded on this with the phrase "Per Ardua ad Astra", which he translated as, "Through Struggles to the Stars". Colonel Sykes approved of this as the motto and forwarded it to the War Office. It was then submitted to the King, who approved its adoption.

The question of where this motto had come from can be answered by he fact that Yule had read it in a book called "People of the Mist" by Sir Henry Rider Haggard. In the first chapter was the passage, "To his right were two stately gates of iron fantastically wrought, supported by stone pillars on whose summit stood griffins of black marble embracing coats of arms and banners inscribed with the device 'Per Ardua ad Astra'".

As to where Sir Rider Haggard obtained this phrase is still unclear although it is possible that it originated from the Irish family of Mulway who had used it as their family motto for hundreds of years and translated it as "Through Struggles to the Stars".

The authoritative translation of the motto is just as unsure as the source. Since there can be a number of different meanings to 'Ardua' and 'Astra', scholars have declared it to untranslatable. To the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Air Forces though it will remain "Through Struggles to the Stars". It is peculiar to the Royal Air Force and has been made famous by the heroic and courageous deeds of our air forces over the years.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 04:43 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NYgal Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 05:03 PM
I try before I ask..... wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 06:10 PM
you dog you wink
NYgal - I knew I liked you! You make it look as easy as it is wink
Posted By: USNA73 Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 08:08 PM
Speaking of the RAF, did you happen to catch the PBS program last night about Stalag Luft III and the actual story behind "The Great Escape"? Amazing.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: What does this mean? - 11/17/04 08:41 PM
Yep, usna73 that is where I saw the verbiage. Very interesting piece.

you other two:
I understand this board is a place to discuss things.

Part of discussion is the asking of questions. Do you not play well with others? The questions I asked Did you search for the answer, did you know already, and how did you find out were merely for discussions sake.

Additionally, being over the age of 5 and having fingers that can type, I am full well able to search the internet. Discussion is, usually, more pleasing.
Posted By: Everglades Re: What does this mean? - 11/30/04 12:14 AM
Denny, I'm impressed. Interesting facts.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board