AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy Dogs (four legged) - 01/07/05 12:09 AM
Someone e-mailed me the posts inquiring about Island dogs. I have to be reminded that I left one culture for another and I came here for a reason. I had not had a dog for 31 years until Just Dave handed me a little shaky bag of bones that he had rescued from the beach. I won't bore you with what a beautiful smart dog he has grown into, but everyone who feeds him Manelly's ice cream as he poses on my golf cart in front of Coconet Internet Cafe will be happy to fill you in.

Dogs are treated very differently here and therefore behave differently; they run and play. Where I came from all dogs are kept inside, walked on leashes and do not know how to get along with most animals that don't live with them. Dogs that run loose are often dangerous.

Not so here - the dogs like each other and have best friends that they play with. Yes, there are some 'strays' that are called 'beach dogs.' They are not always healthy and don't add to the beauty of the island.

There are two minds here; dogs are to protect property and kept outside or are indulged and treated like one of the family. One group doesn't seem to understand the other. That's OK until someone decided to take the matters into their own hands.

Sadly we have had a ration of poisoned dogs here. All of them from the area around the pull ferry north. We don't know the extent of the problem as many of the people who kept their dogs outside have not reported the deaths. Those of us who have treated or buried poisoned dogs know of at least 13 cases; 10 died.

Suddenly these happy island dogs have to be kept on leashes for their own protection. How sad. frown The dogs didn't do anything except be dogs. I guess it could be said that the people were just being people.

An award of $1,000.00BZ has been posted for information that will lead to the arrest and conviction of person(s) responsible.

It will be wonderful to have our dogs be returned to island life.
cool
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Dogs (four legged) - 01/07/05 04:55 PM
Big Brother of Belize; how sad it is. I presume it is private citizens who posted the reward. How far are you willing to go to find the perp? I wish you well and hope you are willing to go all the way.

"BARK"
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board