AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: NYgal If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 04:14 AM
have spent more time raising my children and not worked through their younger years:)

What would you do or not do wink
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 04:45 AM
I would not date Sally Mercer...
Posted By: crockhunter Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 01:43 PM
Move to Central America, let my hair grow, get a tatoo and an earing and become a beach bum.
Posted By: SimonB Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 01:52 PM
Do it all over again!
Posted By: NYgal Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 03:01 PM
Crockhunter, that's many of the "gringo locals" laugh Are those 2 words allowed together they look wrong.. wink
Posted By: SimonB Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 07:37 PM
loco gringo is more appropriate in most cases
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/17/05 10:51 PM
hmmmm?

whadayamean?

aren't we all still 21?
Posted By: Chloe Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 02:26 AM
If I could be 21 again, I would do it all over the same way again, because I am old enough to know it turned out alright.
Posted By: NYgal Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 03:48 AM
laugh laugh loco gringos ...
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 07:05 AM
ok, so I am in my mid-twenties. I can not stop thinking about how I do not want regrets later in life and don't want the "I WISH I COULD BE 25 AGAIN AND I WOULD..." I am seriously considering moving to San Pedro 5 months a year, starting this year as I work very hard here in the states and feel like I am going crazy. I work, go to the gym, sleep, and go back to work. I really want to be there to do so many things AC offers...especially to RELAX and not STRESS the way I do daily here with work. I have an opportunity to keep my career here in the states and work part time at it for 5 months from AC. Is this crazy? Is this a bad idea? Should I keep working my butt off each day just to make money and not ENJOY or should I ENJOY before I get older and am married or have a family??? I am stuck, I don't know what to do.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: seashell Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 11:24 AM
Hmm, sounds like a good plan . . unless you find that you want to marry a local. Then it just "depends".

BTW, many of us worked our asses off when we were younger with not too many regrets later in life.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but as for "I WISH I COULD BE 25 AGAIN AND I WOULD" well, I wouldn't be 25 again for anything. 32 maybe, and all that said, 26 was one of the best years of my life. smile
Posted By: Now Danny Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 12:42 PM
ke, if you can do it, do it, and try it. What do you got to loose. Make it an adventure you will never forget. Go for it! cool
Posted By: wannaBEthere Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 01:13 PM
Hmmm ... deep questions before the coffee has kicked in. My 2 cents;

Travel if you haven't. Experience different cultures. If you're creative, it can be done mighty cheap.

Agree whole heartily with Chloe laugh

Not crazy about my 20's, 30's were getting better, 40's were keepers - love the 50's.

Still on the to-do list, spent time in the mission field, something to do with children.
Posted By: PattiCake Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 01:42 PM
Ke, I too am facing these dilemmas right now but I..aahh.. I'm slightly older than you with a little more baggage. Agree with Chloe too except I would have never married at 24.

Just make sure you are physically safe. Having something criminal happen to you changes everything so pay attention and don't let your guard down.
Posted By: crockhunter Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 01:57 PM
NY Gal, most of the loco gringos are over 21 wishing they were younger. I was married at 20 and have three married daughters and seven grandchildren. My wife and I are very happy with our lives and glad that we can enjoy life now while we are in our late fifties and healthy. I probably wouldn't change a thing!!!
Posted By: Bobber Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 02:31 PM
Crockhunter, you are sharing the wisdom of your age. Looking backward is nostalgia, but not real productive. If I were magically 21 again and still had the accumulated wisdom (?) of my life, I would avoid a bunch of mistakes and concentrate on a bunch of other mistakes, probably ending up in a situation much much worse than I now enjoy. The older you get, the dumber you get. Reason here being the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know. How nice it would be to wake up and realize that you are 21, today is Friday, you have a full tank of gas in the pickup and a couple of 6 packs. Can't do that anymore. Getting up in the morning, seeing the sunshine and birds singing, children playing and laughing. Much more rewarding.
Posted By: CrackerLarry Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 02:40 PM
Yep, if I was 21 again, I'd marry the same woman I married when I was 21. That's been 31 years ago.
ahhh.....the good old days........ multiplied by bad memory
Posted By: SimonB Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 08:35 PM
I guess my thought is that if I changed anything I did I wouldn't be where I am right now and if you had my life right now you wouldn't want to change it either. It took a long time to come to that realization and a major lifestyle change but man do I love my life!
Posted By: Hon Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 08:46 PM
21 again? The doubt, the angst...I'll pass.

Hon
Posted By: Chloe Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 10:16 PM
Ke go, nothing to hold you back, and nothing to regret, just be careful, and not spend all your money, and keep your business to afford paradise.

Don't go to the gym on AC, just walk everywhere and swim. Forget that gym stuff, might as well be back at home.....just kidding.
Posted By: RICH GUY Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/18/05 11:20 PM
I just turned 20
Posted By: silkpainter Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 12:30 AM
I would have stayed away from boys, and listened to my parents more... did I really just say that? Don't tell Mom.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 01:13 AM
Rich Guy ....... You are so full of s... ! laugh
Posted By: RICH GUY Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 01:39 AM
smile busted!
Posted By: PattiCake Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 02:34 AM
Goodlord Dobe, I pray for the sake of all women over 30 that Sally Mercer does not know of this board..

Or... is it a code of some sort, a tv star I am not familiar with...

So far have you received any litigation about that comment and if not, could we hear more???
Posted By: PattiCake Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 02:39 AM
Use a code name for her like Salmer or salamander or merciless sal, sal the mercer...

Makes me want to google my name every day to make sure there were no regrets but..

I know there were no regrets because I still talk to ALL of them, all the guyz. And if I cannot remember their names, I am sure they cannot remember mine in order to defame my character publicly.

Or were you wise, and married her?
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/19/05 03:45 AM
Ke: decide for yourself what you want to do, then go for it. If I had the opportunity at your age, I would take it while it was there. Unless one is independently wealthy, life does consist of lots of hard work, sleep, stress and routine. At your age, I was too busy working and going to school to have the option of doing much else, but still wouldn't change most things. Seems most people are of that opinion. I know many folks that have never been out of the state! Such a shame.

Travel is my major passion, so I make it happen! Takes lots of hard work and savings those dollars - but when you are there, with a drink in your hand and your toes in the sand (and a big smile on your face), it is all worth it! Isn't it called enjoying the fruits of your labor?

My parents have been all over the world a couple times over, once gone 9 months and another time over a year. They bought those round the world tickets and stayed in countries for weeks, but it didn't happen until they were in their 50s (that old thing called running a business). African safari, walking the Great Wall in China in their 60s, diving the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, renting a motor home for three weeks to see New Zealand and scuba diving in the Galapagos in their early 70s! But I watched them work their asses off to get there. Age is relative.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/20/05 12:49 PM
merciless Sal has not yet had her attorneys contact me. She herself has made a few attempts over the years. It would be sweet for me if she would read this. HEY SAL! YA OUT THERE? laugh
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/20/05 12:52 PM
oh, and for the court's record, I did not defame her. I simply said I wouldn't have dated her. Now that's not defamation, is it?
Posted By: jay latte Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/22/05 03:04 AM
Not expecting to run into a thread on AC forum discussing perspectives from point of age (being 25 again), I logged on to the forum while contemplating my first trip to Belize. I've been picking at this idea for some time and with every intention to do it.
Well, as it should happen, we stumble into thought provoking moments when least expected. While reading the thread and reflecting on my own situation, it occurs to me that perhaps one of the most significant reasons for my relatively recent and late blooming passions for travel is that I have alas reached a point in life where there is indeed something to look back upon; mistakes or not. It is at this very point when, for the first time, you can see ever more clearly forward. There are things I missed earlier in life. So, I'm doing a little catch up. In this way, as I merge into a new path of discovery, indeed, it is the sense of youth that will lead you there or find you along the way.

Hummmmm.

See you April 1-8.
Anyone around?
Posted By: PattiCake Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/22/05 04:58 AM
I shan't be, dear jay. However, I shall be contemplating the perusal of haute cuisine, the pursuit of a finer "joie de vivre" and alas, my assimilation from one Huron (pron. urine) County sub-culture into yet another even more distasteful.

Do have an excellent, insightful voyage.
Posted By: PattiCake Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/24/05 12:10 AM
Jay;

I reread your post and realized I was offhanded, borderline callous in my response, and also appeared to be a cynic; a trait as an optimist, I despise.

I am not a traveller. I am a gardener, a homie, one who sets down roots and is planted where I am. I adapt, recondition, fall back and then I GROW. (I am Cancer)

Currently I have decided to cast my fate to the wind (who doesn't, daily?) and perhaps... pitch it all. Keep a few good pieces of furniture at my friends' places.

Not park my chip truck in its usual spot: take the damned thing on the road. Tell my 18-year-old son that, if he does not get up for school, he does not have to go to school. But when I move in six weeks, he will not know to where (and he has chosen NOT to sign his passport application, so he is way behind if Belize is the choice (haha)).

Sometimes "baggage" is an anchor; sometimes it is an albatross.

I don't like that phrase "baggage" when it refers to one's loved ones, don't mind when it refers to experiences, but the latter can be rectified and healed. I like to think of the former as assets, compliments.

A good friend on mine, SWM in the market for SWF, always says 'she has baggage' referring to young children, ex-spouses. Who doesn't? Who is fortunate enough to only have the baggage of their experiences and not cart around some human offspring, parent etc. physically/emotionally with them.

Slip your skin. Go for it. Get wet.
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/24/05 04:06 AM
merciless sal is baggage.....
Posted By: NYgal Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/24/05 04:11 AM
glasses are on again........it's one funny day laugh

db....whatcha up to confused I feel a funny one comming wink
Posted By: dbdoberman Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/24/05 04:14 AM
oh you know, watching the tube, pickin' my nose, not sortin my socks..

what direction is it coming from? should I duck?
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 03/25/05 03:55 PM
GET A BOOB JOB
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 04/03/05 09:39 PM
LaurieMar, I really, really appreciated your words and thoughts. I am very excited to live there for four months. Thank you for writing all that you did. It makes me think even more, how right this decision is. Jay, you too, have made me want to do this at this point in my life as well. Thank you for all of the encouraging responces.
Ke
Posted By: fuzzy_navel Re: If I could be 21 again I would - 04/04/05 09:13 PM
If I could be 21 again I would...not change a thing. I was forced to grow up faster than I should have and lost some very dear and close loved ones at a very young age. I could have gone in many different directions. I decided to learn from those things in my life and it has opened my eyes to many new possibilities (which is why I love to travel). To me, my life is absolutely perfect.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board