AmbergrisCaye.com Home

You know you live in the third world when......

Posted By: Dallas Dave

You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 04:13 AM

Duct tape and Wd40 are in your bicycle basket at all times,
Posted By: klcman

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 04:41 AM

hell Maine must be 3rd world....more linear footage of duct tape sold here per capita than anywhere else in da world!

Rumor has it the redneck gals up north even make ducttape stew!

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 06:01 AM

When a fresh chicken is your neighbors rooster that crows right outside your window at 5am. Red or white wine?
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 01:27 PM

When you gage how long your travels are by estimating the amount of potholes on the road!
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 05:14 PM

Dave...Hello!!! You are back living on AC????? C
Posted By: Vic the Knife

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 08:57 PM

TQ: we missed ya on the island!!!!!!
Posted By: Bearfoot Gibby

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 11:21 PM

.....when the scorpion you stepped on in the night is carried away by Army ants before morning.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/12/05 11:41 PM

When you don't even have a WalMart, or McDonalds, or Starbucks, or...
Posted By: reaper

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 01:10 AM

Where is the second world??? confused cool

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 01:17 AM

I found it:

Third World was a term originally used to distinguish nations that neither aligned with the West nor with the East during the Cold War, including many members of the Non-Aligned Movement. Today, however, the term is used to denote nations with a low UN Human Development Index (HDI), independent of their political status. Many "third world" countries are located in Africa, Latin America, and Asia. They are often nations that were colonized by another nation in the past. The populations of third world countries are generally very poor but with high birth rates. In general they are not as industrialized or technologically advanced as OECD countries. The majority of the countries in the world fit this classification. These countries are also known as the Global South, developing countries, least developed countries and the Majority World in academic circles. Development workers also call them the two-thirds world and The South. Some dislike the term developing countries as it may imply that economic development (industrialisation) is the only way forward, while they believe it is not necessarily the most beneficial. The term Third World is also disliked as it may imply the false notion that those countries are not a part of the global economic system. Some note that the underdevelopment of Africa, Asia and South America during the Cold War was influenced, or even caused by the Cold War economic, political, and military maneuverings of the most powerful nations of the time.

The term Fourth World is used by some writers to describe the poorest Third World countries, those which lack industrial infrastructure and the means to build it. More commonly, however, the term is used to describe either indigenous peoples or other oppressed minority groups within any country.

History of the term
The term "third world" was coined by economist Alfred Sauvy in an article in the French magazine L'Observateur of August 14, 1952. It was a deliberate reference to the "Third Estate" of the French Revolution. Tiers monde means third world in French, but in the sense of "one-third" -- it does not mean "third in rank" (which would be troisième monde). The term gained widespread popularity during the Cold War when many poorer nations adopted the category to describe themselves as neither being aligned with NATO or the Warsaw Pact, but instead composing a non-aligned "third world" (in this context, the term "First World" was generally understood to mean the United States and its allies in the Cold War, which would have made the East bloc the "Second World" by default; however, the latter term was very seldom actually used

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 01:52 AM

You didn't find the second world. Look again.
Posted By: reaper

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 02:07 AM

Oh, I get it...fourth world-West Virginia...Now about that second world????????? cool
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 02:09 AM

Pretty close to what I found:

Second World: Centrally Planned Communist Countries. Former Soviet Union. China, Cuba, Vietnam and North Korea remain as communist states. This term has become largely irrelevant because the circumstances to which it referred largely ended with the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union.

BG - where do you look to find the second world?

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 02:44 AM

The implied term "second world" was indeed those nations of the "Warsaw Pact" and by extension those nations which came under communist rule after WWII. "First World" referred to those of the "west" - look at thelast part of the 2nd paragraph BG

but in the whole scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. I could go for a Belikin! (going for one right now!!)
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 03:15 AM

Whats all this have to do with Walmart?

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 03:20 AM

They'll soon be stocking Belikin
K - where you getting yours in the meantime?
Posted By: pnowell

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 03:26 AM

Belikin here, we brought it back last trip.
law-we finished what you gave us wink

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 03:29 AM

Should hope so - that was months ago! wink
Out to get some more now - withdrawals ya know!
Posted By: weile

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 04:34 AM

You know you live in the third world when...

1) Your wife is bitchin' because you haven't talked to her for days cuz you've been way too busy checkin' Dallas Dave's new topic on the message board.

2) You've forgotten everything that makes sense, and still think that the world is divided into three. It is not: There is the cruel mean freakin' cold rainy old world - and then there is Belize...
Posted By: Windjammer

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 04:45 AM

AMEN! wink
Posted By: Chloe

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 05:19 AM

When I can enjoy a new beer to me, FAT TIRE.
Taste like Belikin to me, but my taster could be tainted. wink

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 06:05 AM

You know you are in the third world when your plane lands and a blonde haired Dane greets you on the tarmac with cold Belikins in hand while loading your music gear into Orlando's taxi.

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 09:33 AM

Ooops! I meant turd world!

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 02:30 PM

I've been to the turd world.....I dropped the kids in the pool, watched the Browns go down in the super bowl, went to the dump, and actually gave a crap instead of taking one.

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 03:55 PM

Ah Vic, missed the "cutest couple ever!" as well. You'll just have to come back to TX - soon! We still have room for more! smile smile

Third world when... you think about washing golf carts and having rum punch stand to raise money to buy a certain condo in the town... Gwen, where are ya? wink
Posted By: Vic the Knife

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 08:41 PM

TQ/QT: You better buy that condo fast. I was surprised by the amount of new construction I saw last week. With more to come. Property can only go up in price!!

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 10:25 PM

BG - I know about 500,000 people who would like to know exactly WHICH Super Bowl the Browns were in ?? hahahahahaha

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 10:28 PM

Browns is just a turd world reference.

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/13/05 11:17 PM

just checking wink
Posted By: Gwennan

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/15/05 12:50 AM

Hey TQ <waves> I'm here, sort of...just busy with several projects. Gotta get them done so I can meet you at the stand to get some $ for our place! In the meantime I'll get a piggy bank to put at the register of one of the local convenience stores for our fund! Anything helps, right?? BTW, my Aunt and Uncle are really enjoying Houston, their jobs were relocated there for the time being, and they are thrilled! They said that the people of Houston have been so wonderful! See, you do make a difference!

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/19/05 01:53 AM

Hola Gwen! How goes it? How 'bout those Texans... jeez! Could've stayed home for that game. frown

Piggies at the registers is awesome! I love it! LOLOLOLOL

Glad the family likes Houston. I like it too. smile They should catch a Texans game sometime! They tend to be better than todays game...

Thanks again to all who donated the luggage. I heard something like 400 pieces were collected. That's great!

Third world country when....... you wish were there and feel homesick when not. frown Missing that place bad.

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/20/05 05:16 AM

Ah, thanks TQ, the Piggies, love them! Yes, my relatives are planning on catching some games! I'm going to try to hook up with them as soon as I can travel.

Have things settled down into a routine there a little bit?

You know you're in the third world when nobody asks you if you want fries with that!
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/21/05 06:02 AM

So-DAVE!!!!!!!!!! You living on AC again??????? C
Posted By: Danl & the Boop

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/21/05 02:21 PM

New Orleans vs Mumbai.

Interesting.....

Rain with floods;

I couldn't stop but make this comparison..

Inches of rain in new orleans due to hurricane katrina... 18 Inches of rain
in mumbai -India. (July 27th).... 37.1 Inches of rain.

Population of new orleans... 484,674

Population of mumbai.... 12,622,500

Deaths in New Orleans within 48 hours of katrina...100

Deaths in Mumbai within 48 hours of rain.. 37.

Number of people to be evacuated in new orleans...entire city..

Number of people evacuated in Mumbai...10,000

Cases of shooting and violence in New Orleans...Countless

Cases of shooting and violence in Mumbai.. NONE

Time taken for US army to reach New Orleans... 48hours

Time taken for Indian army and navy to reach Mumbai...12hours

Status 48hours later...New Orleans is still waiting for relief, army and
electricty

Status 48hours later. Mumbai is back on its feet and is business as usual.

USA...world's most developed nation. India...third world country..
oopss...did I get the last fact wrong???

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/21/05 09:22 PM

Hey Gwen! Yes, things have slowed down a bit concerning Katrina (at least here in Houston). Our new focus is Hurricane Rita as a lot of us are vacating the city... it's been a bit of a whirlwinded month for sure!

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/22/05 04:52 AM

Hang in there TQ! Be safe. My thoughts and prayers are with ya! Keep us posted when you can. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/22/05 11:09 PM

Thoughts and prayers for safety and happiness always to TQ.

Re: You know you live in the third world when...... - 09/26/05 03:50 PM

Thanks y'all! Safe and happy! Just hope the others are able to recover quickly.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board