Item 3: //www.ambergriscaye.com/ambergristoday/index.html

Jesse? SIN? Simon? Amanda?
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 07:43 PM

duh nuh, duh nuh, dun nuh, duh nuh
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 07:58 PM

What!!!!!!

U u u u mean, there's sharks in the sea!?!?......

....and I thought the giant squid was bad!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 08:01 PM

Look out for the brown trout!
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 08:06 PM

That's not as bad as the flock of rabid Mexican Hammerhead Piranhas up on the north end that attacked a poor little puppy out for a morning swim.... or wait a minute...maybe it was a gaggle of poor puppies that attacked a flock of piranhas... eek
Posted By: klcman

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 08:11 PM

phlocks of phish and gaggles of puppies huh denny?

I tink you got ur hands on some of dat LSD that dude is trying to import to Caulker
Posted By: TIMO

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 08:17 PM

croc sightings true as of last week.
Posted By: indygal

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 08:36 PM

On the sea side? I thought they stayed in the lagoons and lakes???
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 09:02 PM

They get into the sea as well. Just remember they don't bit under water.

SIN
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 10:13 PM

SIN, THEY DON'T BIT UNDER WATER, Then what do they do when they pull you under the water? lick you? eek
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 10:18 PM

ok now there 2miles... let's keep this clean. eek
Posted By: WhiteWater

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 10:42 PM

My Mom watched a fin cruise around off of a dock just south of town. Thought it was a dolphin at first, but it wasn't diving at all, just cruisin.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Media Hype? - 12/02/05 11:57 PM

Don't get me going, the Crocs are a real sore spot with me. Destroy their habit, desensitize them to humans by feeding them, encroach upon their territory by walking up to them and getting cute pictures for the folks back home and then bitch when they start having to roam further and further to find food. Who're the bad guys here, certainly not the Crocs.

Hopefully in the near future a couple of friends from Texas Tech will be coming down to do a study on the interaction with humans and to make recommendations on how we can best preserve this endangered resource. People seem to forget that the Crocs are just as endangered as the Manatees. Manatees are just cuter and easier to sell. Personally I'd love to see the government set up a park at the WASA ponds where tourists could walk boardwalks throughout the area and see, without disturbing, the incredible wildlife that we have on the island. No more chicken on a string!

On the biting note, I swam and windsurfed regularly in the New River lagoon for several years. The last Croc count I was on we counted something like 300 in our 26 mile trip around the lagoon and down the river, many in the area where I surfed and swam. I still have all my limbs. It's very difficult to catch a Croc, as we did for research, due to the fact that they are scared to death of humans. It's only by desensitizing them to humans that we take the risk of a tragic accident. Guess who gets shot when that happens? Not the guy who worked the fear out of the Croc that I can guarantee you.

Ahhh, been a while since I've had a good rant.

On the sharks, cool!
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 03:14 AM

I took pictures of crocs swimming from a creek right into the salt water.....for true smile
Posted By: casa de amor

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 04:56 AM

there are sharks out by the reef, that are not nurse sharks there are hammerheads ,and bullsharks out there but they must be coming in closer to shore in search of food. anybody got any insight into this?
Posted By: RD

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 07:47 AM

Simon, I so agree with what you have written. I absolutely could not believe all the people at the WASA pond around 5 at night throwing chicken out to the crocs.... or taking pictures trying to pet them etc. etc., one only needs to do a search here on this board for pictures of people doing these things on their vacations and bragging about it!!! kind of reminds me of some stupid, stupid tourists dipping their kids hands in honey to lure bears closer for good pictures in the Rockies! And unfortunately the loser is usually the animals... they are either put down or relocated to other areas... Hopefully your friends from Texas Tech will be able to make some recommendations on preservation of the crocs and hopefully someone will do something to prevent people from baiting the crocs for photo ops!!! Good Luck!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 01:42 PM

Let 'em go ahead and bait the crocs...it'll thin out the ranks of idiots on the island.
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 02:16 PM

That may take some time.
Posted By: casa de amor

Re: Media Hype? - 12/03/05 03:47 PM

feeding of the crocs:it happens every day at 5 o clock down there at the pond by the water plant,and its getting more popular, last time i was there there were tourist from all the major hotels on the island down there in the hotels golfcars. they walk out there on that little narrow strip of land looking for the croc but what most dont realize is there is more than just one and sometimes it sits on the other side of that narrow strip of land, and when people are looking at the one croc there is one along the other side just waiting to jump up(i have seen this happen on numerous occasions) on the land and trap those poor people. Its just a matter of time before a major attack happens.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board