AmbergrisCaye.com Home

New clothing store

Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ

New clothing store - 02/03/06 11:25 PM

I read somewhere on the board that there is a new clothing store in SP with name brands. What is it's name and where is it located?
Posted By: Kra-Z-K

Re: New clothing store - 02/04/06 07:01 AM

there is more than one. One is on middle street. Another one is actually the new department store which might be what you are thinking of, it is called Wings and right across from Tropic. You can not miss it with the horribly loud obnoxious music outside, it is worse than Jerry Jeff Walker.
Posted By: sandb

Re: New clothing store - 02/04/06 02:04 PM

laugh
Posted By: ArtZ SmartZ

Re: New clothing store - 02/04/06 02:53 PM

Thanks eek
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: New clothing store - 02/04/06 03:05 PM

I agre about the music and refused to go in when the music was blasting. My daughter did want to see what they had and one day the music was off and we went in. She bought some gifts to take home. It is big, open, well lighted, not crowded isles. It's another option.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 03:45 AM

WINGS - Loud music is an understatement. I just thought the music was for their "grand opening" that occured last month. Evidentally not. I guess it's a cheap way to advertise because everytime we passed it, we looked that way.

The speakers are right outside the door. You litterally have to cover your ears upon entering.
Posted By: deacon+

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 06:42 PM

Has anyone gone in and ask if they would turn it down???

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 06:54 PM

When I walked out I said it was too loud, and I would not ever be able to walk in their again unless it was turned down. The problem???!!!! It is so loud I doubt they could understand me. No joke from anyone who stated it on this thread, it is as loud or louder than a nightclub. I rather hear Jerry Jeff Walker, crazy!

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 06:59 PM

"just a thought" write your request on a piece of paper & hold it up to them. HAHA but then again it might work.

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:02 PM

"NO PUEDO OIR NADA!!! NO VOY A IR DE COMPRAS AQUI CUANDO HAY MUSICA RUIIIIIIIIIIIIDO!!! POR FAVOR, PARA LA MUSICA! MIS OREJAS, AYYYYY!!! ME DUELEN MUCHO!"

(the guys outside hardly speak english wink )

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:07 PM

HUH???I am sorry to say I do not/have never learn the language. Something I am trying to remedy

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:08 PM

That is my sign I am going to bring them, since the guys outside hardly speak ingles. (english)

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:31 PM

learning spanish could come in handy down here wink just teasing.

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:35 PM

Anywhere there to learn rather than being ignorant.

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:37 PM

is that a question or statement? One is not ignorant if they can not speak a particular language though. If you are asking a question, there are 2 places on the island that do teach in the evenings. I am not sure who, but have been told by a few people.

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 07:38 PM

"NO PUEDO OIR NADA!!! NO VOY A IR DE COMPRAS AQUI CUANDO HAY MUSICA RUIIIIIIIIIIIIDO!!! POR FAVOR, PARA LA MUSICA! MIS OREJAS, AYYYYY!!! ME DUELEN MUCHO!"

"I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING!! I AM NOT GOING TO SHOP HERE WHEN THE MUSIC IS SO LOUUUUUUUUUUD!! PLEASE, STOP THE MUSIC! MY EARS, AYYYYYY!!! THEY HURT!

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 08:03 PM

A question. Please no,not a statement. I donot need any more problems from the boarders.
Posted By: casa de amor

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 08:22 PM

yeah everyone watch what you say, it seems everyones out on the attacking offensive toaday!
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 09:23 PM

Deacon...you don't need to know Spanish on the Caye...all of the resorts, stores, bars, most everyone speaks Kriol..or Creole, depending on who writes it...it's kinda hard to understand, but it IS English...kinda. Most of my friends slow down when they are talking to me cuz they see this ???? look on my face. laugh laugh laugh

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 11:16 PM

?????????? He knows you do not need to know spanish here but was inquiring on how/where to learn. But where do you hangout??? Over 45% of the people who live here speak Spanish with one another and since he will be living here he will find that more and more. When I was a tourist, sure, everywhere I went it was English as that is the language here. However, move here and you'll find a difference. I was just letting him know he can take lessons if he has a desire to learn the language as I did. It REALLY is a must for me as just about all my friends I go out with speak spanish.

Also, I am not sure what Casa is speaking about. BB? oh well.

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 11:20 PM

BTW, you might find the book "Belizean Creole" a great book as I do. It explains the language, and it is classified as it's own language not a dialect of English. If you read a book in Creole you will NOT understand it just by knowing english...I don't. It is a good book I just thought might interest you. HARD language, has taken me 7 months to speak VERY basic greetings and phrases in Creole, People are shocked when something new comes outta my mouth in that language.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: New clothing store - 02/07/06 11:28 PM

I cant pass this one up ! SHUT UP ERNIE ! laugh
Posted By: NYgal

Re: New clothing store - 02/08/06 02:08 AM

WHEW !! wink
Posted By: Wyoming Carla

Re: New clothing store - 02/08/06 02:30 AM

What....EVER

Re: New clothing store - 02/08/06 02:33 AM

fuela verga!! Jue Puta! Dios Mio! laugh I thought that book might interest you since you mentioned something about many speaking creole with you. Sorry it doesn't, perhaps someone else.

Re: New clothing store - 02/08/06 02:36 AM

Deacon, thank you for all of your PM messages tonight. Glad I could help you and speak back and forth. Always happy to help you prior to your move here with as much info from one who lives here can help with. Things are always different when you live vs. travel somewhere so was glad to answer your questions. Take Care. K.

by the way, where did you read the stuff about being a landlord, on what thread?
Posted By: Teenah

Re: New clothing store - 02/08/06 11:59 PM

Would you care to translate that for me K? I don't know much spanish, but I know that what you said wasn't very nice. If you can't say something nice.....

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:09 AM

what??? What would you like me to translate Teenah. I was saying my gosh, expressing my surprise in her reply... that I just thought she would enjoy that book. Thought I was recommending something that could be of interest and was wrong.

Why did you want me to translate it if you knew?

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:11 AM

and as far as "if you can't say something nice..." I thought I was being nice as she said they people have to talk slower for her so I seriously thought she'd want to read the book I have. It has helped me. No estoy correcto.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:20 AM

Don't start reading into anything K, I asked a legitimate question. Would you mind please translating verbatim exactly what you wrote above? Thanks,

Teenah

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:23 AM

honestly, I am confused. I was not reading into anything. You said you do not speak much spanish but understood that. So do you really need a translation or you just want me to share it with the others? Also, it does not translate directly into english correct as it is slang.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:24 AM

the only reason I did not understand it was a "legitimate question" is cause you said you understood it. PM me if there is a problem with what I said. I did not intend to be rude with anyone.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:25 AM

Do your best to translate. No confusion needed. Please share with all of us.

Thanks,

Teenah

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:29 AM

UT Oh :rolleyes:

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:32 AM

Hey Ernie!

You know spanish? Certainly there is someone on this board who can translate " fuela verga!! Jue Puta! Dios Mio"!, for me. Any takers? It's an honest question. Once I know what it says, then I can decide whether or not it was appropriate or necessary.

Just a simple translation K. You know what you wrote, why not tell all of us?

Thanks,

Teenah

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:33 AM

all is okay ernie. wink

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:37 AM

looks like my old nickname where I worked in the states follows me... "trouble"

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:39 AM

I don't even comprenda inglish laugh
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:39 AM

ono numbro ono = one number one in spanish (like at mcdonalds "i would like 1 number 1 please"...right or wrong? just checking . my spanish is not good.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:44 AM

lol ernie wink

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:45 AM

que idioma quieres hablar ernie? Ingles? Espanol? Creole? Que prefieres?

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:46 AM

I am confused now. Why K, did you say that I could translate your phrase and post it for all to see on the message board myself? I don't get it. Remember, it was I that asked you to tell me what it meant. Some of us aren't so fluent as yourself and would appreciate your expertise.

I suppose I could call one of my kriol speaking spanish friends in SP and get a definition, but I'm not sure it's worth the $$$ to confirm what I already suspect.

If what you said was not offensive in any form, why do you hesitate to share it with us all? I'm not being a smart ass. I am asking you a very serious question...what did you say? Please don't continue to skirt this issue. If you'd answered me the first time I asked, this issue with be moot.

Thanks,

Teenah
Posted By: klcman

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:49 AM

he prefers nodamnediceorwater

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:50 AM

Teenah, first I am sorry. I thought you did know what I ment, seriously. This is why I did not answer you the first time... or other times.

What I said was in now way offensive. Again, my appologizes for thinking you understood it after reading what you wrote.

What it means (and does not translate literately in this manner) is "Crap! F&*K (my bad), My goodness!" as in I was surprised, it was my bad, and my goodness to have upset anyone when I recommended that book... since she replied with "whatever" to my book recommendation that I thought would interest her.

Sorry we misunderstood one another Teenah.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:52 AM

Hey KLC! What about you? Can you translate it please?

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:53 AM

btw, I need to become friends with your SP friends, you mentioned you have Creole friends who speak Spanish. Few Creole people speak spanish. If only I would hangout with people who always speak both, so cool.

Oh, and I only WISH I was fluent-I have a ways to go frown

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 12:59 AM

wait, I did translate it Teenah.
Posted By: RD

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 01:18 AM

KZK dont know where you picked the first 3 words up. I speak Spanish, dont recognize them and can find any translation for them. "Puta" means "whore", and "Dios Mio" is "My God!" The best lesson I got while learning Spanish is to make sure you know what you are saying BEFORE you say it. Some folks think it is quite funny to misinterpret words for an unsuspecting person just learning a language.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 01:20 AM

Krazy, Yep I understand. I prefer english, so I don't misinterpret anything, then I don't have to appoligize to anyone.
smile
E !

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 01:24 AM

no problem ernie, english it is. Only appologizes to Teenah regarding what was all said in English...a misunderstanding as what I read in her post was that she understood what I had said. Keli

RD, you are CORRECT, did you see I said it does NOT translate literately??? Puta does NOT mean whore in "jue puta" and dios mio=my god or OH MY GOODNESS and further...FUELA VERGA if you want to tranlate VERGA literately...oh boy, it is a male body part. As I said, these are "slang phrases" and do not translate literately.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 01:28 AM

I'm kool with that.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 01:30 AM

good deal, glad to hear it. Looking forward to meeting you Ernie.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:18 AM

Don't be K, you will be disappointed. I'm an ole fart, and you will get many aggrements on that!

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:23 AM

I am sure I won't be disappointed, when do you arrive?

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:31 AM

I still don't understand in what context you define your post, but my understanding of the word "puta" is more in line with RD's understanding.

It doesn't really matter whether or not you intended to be offensive. I'm not sure how the word "whore" in any sentence to a non-spanish speaking person can be taken anything but offensive, but I'm done with this topic.

I think you get the jist of what I'm saying. Let's not beat a dead horse, ok?

Thanks,

Teenah

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:32 AM

agreed

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:33 AM

And Ernie....you are NOT an old fart! smile

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:34 AM

Tina, no problem. Ask a spanish person when you get here "jue puta" it has nothing to do with a whore. so whether you or I understand it, a phrase is a phrase. For example, "QUIERO"= I WANT. "TE QUIERO"= I LOVE YOU. Though you recognize the word want in quiero the phrase i just wrote means love...

Spanish often does not literatly translate. I have told you I am sorry and agree...lets not beat a dead horse. or any animal for that matter. Have a great night.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:35 AM

btw, it does matter whether one means something offensive or not. I never ment to offend, I actually was trying to help and recommend a helpful book to someone. goodnight.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:49 AM

Teenah, you are the love of my life (as long as you agree witht me) and your sis keeps her 'sisters' under control.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:50 AM

there is no such thing as old.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:53 AM

Ha !

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 02:55 AM

age is only a number. I have very important people in my life that are not legal in the US and as old as.... well, older than you. Don't think about your age.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:00 AM

I give up.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:07 AM

haveanuddernodamnediceorwater

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:08 AM

ohhhhh nooooooooooo ernie, no giving up man!!! lol.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:10 AM

Ernie, you're killin' me! LMFAO!

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:11 AM

yeah, me too smile lol

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:12 AM

although Teenah, the "F" in LMFAO, I never heard someone use the "F" can be anything but offensive.
(I'm not sure how the word "whore" in any sentence to a non-spanish speaking person can be taken anything but offensive.) Just joking gial, it's all good. lol. have a good one.

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:16 AM

Foolish, perhaps?? wink

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:19 AM

ahhhhhhhh thanks. laughing my foolish (oops..."A") off. smile

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:19 AM

KLC, you seen Marie lately?

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 03:25 AM

only her long lost step-daughter

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 04:00 PM

Whoa! That was a lot of wasted reading. laugh

To the point, Ernie, you are not old! You are an adorable, charming, caring, giving, sweet YOUNG man!
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 08:27 PM

klcman, Ernie and Teenah - funny stuff!
I was just wondering how many posts are needed to "explain" :rolleyes:
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 10:10 PM

Just so you know “!fuela verga!” is three words: fue la verga - it’s a very crude, slang term for the length of a male body part

As for the literal translation is of !Jue Puta!: it is actually one word: “jueputa” and it means “son of a b*tch” It’s generally used as an exclamation (like when you hit your thumb w/ a hammer) it’s considered coarse and vulgar

!Dios Mio! is “My God” used the same way English speaking people use the term. It’s in contravention of the second commandment and would generally be offensive to people with closely held Christian beliefs.

I am highly skeptical that these translation are any different in “Creole” than in Spanish. "Learning” slang in another language can be a dangerous proposition. I certainly wouldn’t advise the inexperienced using it in any public forum!

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 10:17 PM

Good job Law! Como esta?? laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 10:36 PM

Gracias - comes from all those years working in juvenile hall - I been called it all!

oh, and - Bien, gracias!

Re: New clothing store - 02/09/06 10:50 PM

yes, fue (went to) la (the) verga (male body part) and does not literately mean "Went to the ---" though would translate in this manner. SPanish does not always (often does not) translate correct. That is exactly what I stated as the translation above as well as dios mio.

I never ment to offend. A mother would say " dios mio" to a young son, it is not so offensive here. It is more an expression of shock. "Oh my goodness!" Though translating dios=god and mio=my. My spanish teacher used to even say this to us in surprise "DIOS MIO!" wink I would not intentionally offend, I was just expressing shock when I was recommending an excellent book to someone and got their responce. That's the end of that. I will watch my phrases in the future. Keli
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: New clothing store - 02/10/06 04:38 PM

Yikes Keli - who are these friends that are teaching you these crude slang statements. These are all words most people will learn when they move down here, but we don't actually repeat them in public!

There are some cool spanish phrases you can learn that will express your surprise, awe or shock - without offending 50% of the people in your company wink

Ana Lausen teaches Spanish Classes - she has an ad in the classifieds in the San Pedro Sun.

She is patient, teaches all levels and I have yet to hear a foul word come out of her mouth.

Re: New clothing store - 02/10/06 05:21 PM

i am sorry.

thank you.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: New clothing store - 02/10/06 05:23 PM

Speaking of sexually oriented grammar, a businessman arriving in Boston for a convention found that his first evening was free, so he decided to go find a good seafood restaurant that served Scrod, a Massachussetts specialty. Getting into a taxi, he asked the cab driver, "Do you know where I can get Scrod around here?" "Sure," said the cabdriver. "I know a few places... but I can tell you it's not often I hear someone use the third-person pluperfect indicative anymore!"
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board