AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Chris Mexican drug about face - 05/04/06 02:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060504/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_decriminalizing_drugs;_ylt=ApbeZPH48eKuWNaJjk54YUNw24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

in other words possession would only be allowed for registered drug addicts.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: Mexican drug about face - 05/04/06 03:29 PM
Uhhhhh, I guess it would take a drug addict to register him/her-self as a drug addict.

"Uh, hello, I would like to register as a drug addict so I can get my pot".

Isn't that descrimination? ...laugh..... What about the people who just want to have fun who aren't addicts? Can they register and say they are a pot attict? Can you be adicted to pot?
.......laugh........... laugh
Posted By: BelizeDiscounts.com Re: Mexican drug about face - 05/04/06 03:49 PM
Shuuuuucks Now I have to cancel that condo I just bought here LOL
Posted By: Otteralum Re: Mexican drug about face - 05/04/06 06:35 PM
Man, I was hoping pharma-tourism would replace eco-tourism as the new hot thing in travel.

Oh, well, there's still Amsterdam!
Posted By: Short Re: Mexican drug about face - 05/04/06 09:59 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic..._N03199061_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEXICO-DRUGS.xml

Mexico's Fox backs down on drug law

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - In a surprise reversal, Mexican President Vicente Fox will not sign widely criticized narcotics legislation to decriminalize the possession of small quantities of marijuana, cocaine and heroin, his office said on Wednesday.

The president's office said the law, which also toughened sentences for dealing and holding larger amounts of the intoxicants, would be sent back to Congress for revision.

"In our country the possession of drugs and their consumption are, and will continue to be, crimes," the office said in a statement.

Fox's decision was unexpected, given that the legislation was initially designed by his office and introduced by his party. This week, his spokesman praised the law and insisted the president would quickly sign it, despite rumblings of discontent from Washington.

The legislation, passed by Congress last week, shocked Mexico's northern neighbor, which counts on its support in a war against gangs that move massive quantities of cocaine, heroin, marijuana and methamphetamines through Mexico to U.S. consumers.

It was also criticized by authorities in Mexican tourist towns who worried about a flood of hard-partying U.S. thrill seekers attracted by the new, lenient rules.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board