AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: reaper RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 04:55 AM
Last week there was a meeting at San Pedro Town Hall between the "Calendar Girls", Pirate, Mayoress Paz, the director of the Belize Roman Catholic Schools, his accountant, and the Principal. I also attended.

I couldn't begin to tell all of you what kind of thought process, planning and dillemas face the school project. But I'll try!

There are nearly 900 students at the school. The most in all of Belize!

They need more classrooms, but have to maintain a certain "playground" area.

They want to move 240 students to the DFC housing area.

The DFC won't give them any land.

The school sits on a prime lot a block from the beach, probably worth a million $$ US!

They can't sell because there is no alternative site.

An estimated 200 children on the island don't attend school for various reasons.

The San Pedro Roman Catholic School gets $0 from the Vatican.

But now the good news...

Thanks to the Calendar Girls and the SPSC's fundraising AND hard work tracking down the proper officials...

The classrooms have been approved!

New plans need to be drawn and a new bid will be obtained, so it may be a few weeks before things get going. I'm sure there will be a few more minor obstacles to overcome.

Most of you reading this have no idea what these two groups have gone through to get this done. I can assure you it was no simple task.

GREAT JOB LADIES AND SPSC!

p.s. I had nothing to do with the outcome, just an interested observer and reporter. cool
Posted By: reaper Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 05:04 AM
I forgot to mention Chris from PelicanProperties. He wrote a great letter to the editor in the local paper and worked on resolving this issue also.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 10:13 AM
I am thrilled to hear that things are moving along in a positive manner. Congrats to both groups!

But I am just a little confused. In one sentence you said that "They need more classrooms, but have to maintain a certain "playground" area."

Then down the bottom The classrooms have been approved!

If they don't have room for new classrooms, then where are the new ones going? I'm not trying to be smart here, just trying to understand. eek

P.S. to reaper: good going and thanks for letting us know what's going on down there!
Posted By: captjeff Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 12:53 PM
Great job to all who have put time and money into doing the right thing!!!!!!!!!hope it helps lots of kids live there dream one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 01:19 PM
that is good news. the children of san pedro always make you smile.
Posted By: reaper Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 01:40 PM
Denny...it's a bit complicated. The design had to change to fit the schoolyard. But that's why they can't level the school and build a larger one, or add about 10 new rooms, which is what is really needed! So the 3 new rooms will be designed to fit the lot. 2 story instead of single.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 07:46 PM
Ah, ok... got it now! eek
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 08:32 PM
Reaper - Thanks for the participation and update. When did the letter to the editor appear in the paper? Would love to read it. It's great to hear a positive spin on this issue.
Posted By: Tillie Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Pam&Dave:
Reaper - Thanks for the participation and update. When did the letter to the editor appear in the paper? Would love to read it. It's great to hear a positive spin on this issue.
Your joking right? NOW is when You want to be supportive??????? :rolleyes:

reaper -- thanks for all that you did. Everones help seems to be making things happen.
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 09:07 PM
confused
Posted By: reaper Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 10:00 PM
I did nothing except sit in on the meeting. The Calendar Girls, Joyce, Jan, et al and Ernie of the SPSC did the work.

The letter was in the San Pedro Sun...or Ambergris Today. My memory is still a little fuzzy from Pedro's birthday bash! Chris did a great job.

This post was just for everyones information.

Again, I had nothing to do with the outcome. I can tell you all however that this has been a VERY trying process for the groups involved and most folks would have given up months ago!!!!

There is a HUGE problem facing the educational needs of many of the island children. In a few more years it will be impossible to educate all of the kids due to a lack of space and money.

I would only hope that board members will support future projects. The children have many needs for supplies. My next battle is going to be with the "powers that be" to get medical, school and other donated items into Belize Duty Free. I know some of you are rolling your eyes right now at that statement...but I'm a VERY persistent guy! cool
Posted By: Pam&Dave Re: RC classroom update! - 06/09/06 10:29 PM
Anyone that would jump out of a perfectly good airplane must believe in himself and trust that everything will happen as it is meant to.
I look forward to meeting and jumping with you.
Pam
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: RC classroom update! - 06/10/06 11:07 AM
I wanna jump out of an airplane but my Dr won't let me! I'm thinking of changing Drs. eek
Posted By: CaliBlueFrog Re: RC classroom update! - 06/10/06 11:13 AM
reaper, I can appreciate your sentiments regarding donated items brought into Belize Duty Free, and would love to bring more school supplies dowm my next trip. We got pretty lucky on our first trip there bringing backpacks and suitcases full of school supplies for St. Peters, stating that we had a fund raiser, and only had to pay about $60.00 US. We played "blonde" and gave chocolates to the Duty Officer at the time, but not sure if that would work again. I was informed that we would have to get an exemption certificate from the Minister Of Finance, before we came, but time ran out, so we took a chance.
It's unfortunate that it is a crap shoot bringing in supplies that are desperately needed, when intentions are well meant. Sometimes in the "States", we take for granted the little things that mean so much in other countries.
We also brought in pet medicine, supplies, and toys, that we hope were put to good use.
Thanks for the info. Some people really do care!
Posted By: travelqueen Re: RC classroom update! - 06/10/06 12:37 PM
Reaper,
This is terrific! Thank you for the detailed information. I'm sure this will help a lot of us understand why it's been a challenge thus far. Your efforts are much appreciated!!!

Chris,
Thanks again for the letter you sent. It was great.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: RC classroom update! - 06/10/06 04:48 PM
Don't know if you all are aware that the 'public' schools are run by the various religious denominations? This was a surprise to me. I don't know how or how much the government funds. Maybe someone can fill us in.
I am aware that there is a group of people from the Anglican Church that are going to build four class rooms for the San Mateo area. This is the section just north and west of the new bridge. When I first moved here this section didn't even have electricity. They now have and the government has been selling (low) lots to locals on the condition that they build a house.
Two years ago everything there was very basic one or two room wooden buildings. Each new one being constructed is bigger and better.
The group of Anglican's along with a couple of the developers are considering putting in a sewage treatment plant in this area. All the gringo developers are not all bad.
Thanks Reaper - you are one of the good guys and a welcome addition to our community.
Posted By: reaper Re: RC classroom update! - 06/10/06 06:48 PM
ScubaLdy, If you run into Joyce or Jan ask them about how the funding works. I don't type fast enough to explain it! It was a rather lengthy discussion at the meeting.
Posted By: wonderwoman Re: RC classroom update! - 06/11/06 12:09 AM
Wasn't so much the religious connections as much as the town government that was the problem, from what I understand from Jan and Joyce.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board