AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Hon language question - 07/13/06 11:07 AM
Another thread, which shall go unnamed to protect the innocent, got me thinking about something that happened on our last trip.

My husband and I made casual friends with two of the ladies at the grocery where we shopped daily. One evening, I'm guessing about 10 days into our visit, we saw one of the ladies downtown with another woman whom we had never met. The lady introduced us to her friend, describing my husband as 'my gringo friend from <the store where she works>'.

At the time, we thought nothing of it.

Being Canadian, I know more French than I do Spanish (Puede decirme donde esta el bano? smile ) This lady seemed so sweet to us, I hate to think that she was getting in a little racist dig at the mister. Was she?
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:14 AM
Personally, I prefer Gringo much more than "you dirty SOB"
Posted By: klcman Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:15 AM
From wikipedia:

"Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a term in the Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese languages used to refer to foreigners, especially those from the United States. Although its original meaning was perhaps derogatory, its usage today is not necessarily pejorative, even though it may be considered offensive by English-speakers. The American Heritage Dictionary does however classify the term as offensive slang [1]."

In informal Spanish speech, "gringo" offers a convenient shorthand to refer to a person from the U.S., since the term "American" is used to refer to anyone from the entire American continent (North, Central and South), while the more specific term "estadounidense" ("United States person") is somewhat cumbersome to pronounce.

"Gringo" is almost never used to refer to people from the U.S. of Asian, Native American or Latin American origin and its usage appears reserved almost exclusively to U.S. residents of white or black descent.[citation needed]

The term does lend itself to derogatory, paternalistic or endearing connotations, depending on the context and the intent of the user. In contrast, the term "yanqui" ("Yankee") is used almost exclusively in a derogatory way, to refer to any U.S. citizen, even those from the American South.

In some regions of Argentina, Paraguay and nearby areas, "Gringo" is used to refer to anyone of blonde hair and/or light skin color, regardless of their origin. It is not a pejorative term. It is also used (jokingly) as a nickname for people who are dark skinned. Another word for gringo is Polaco (Polish).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:23 AM
When I first started dating my husband, who is Mexican, his two-year-old neice took an instant liking to me. I took her with me a lot and we were in the car once and I was teaching her the traffic signals. "Red: stop; Yellow: slow down; Green: go." A few days later I walked into the house where the family was gathered, wearing green shoes. She came running up to me yelling, "Green go shoes, green go shoes." Her parents almost passed out. "No Stephie, No Stephie, Gringo's not nice!"
I've been a gringo ever since. Personally, I love the term! smile
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:33 AM
I, El Guapo, always thought a yellow traffic light meant go real fast.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:47 AM
Of course it does, but you can't tell that to a 2 year old - you have to save that until they're 15 or so, when they really need to know it! smile
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/13/06 12:07 PM
Originally posted by klcman:
From wikipedia:

"<snip> Although its original meaning was perhaps derogatory, its usage today is not necessarily pejorative, even though it may be considered offensive by English-speakers. The American Heritage Dictionary does however classify the term as offensive slang [1]."

<snip>The term does lend itself to derogatory, paternalistic or endearing connotations, depending on the context and the intent of the user. In contrast, the term "yanqui" ("Yankee") is used almost exclusively in a derogatory way, to refer to any U.S. citizen, even those from the American South.

In some regions of Argentina, Paraguay and nearby areas, "Gringo" is used to refer to anyone of blonde hair and/or light skin color, regardless of their origin. It is not a pejorative term. It is also used (jokingly) as a nickname for people who are dark skinned. Another word for gringo is Polaco (Polish).
Given the possibilities, I'm going to go with 'endearing' seeing as the mister is a sweetheart.
Posted By: Denny Shane Re: language question - 07/13/06 12:13 PM
Having been practically all over the world I have been called a lot of things. But it's been by nice people and I have never taken offense.

Only once in all those years did someone say something not nice about my nationality. To this day I do not think he can smile properly. eek
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: language question - 07/13/06 12:45 PM
I would think the tone in which it is said would give the indication of whether it is meant to be offensive or not.
Here in the south, we can say what ever we want about someone, however bad, and if we follow it up with "Bless her heart" it's OK. LOl....not that I ever do it, but I know many who do!
Posted By: Otteralum Re: language question - 07/13/06 12:54 PM
S&S -- LMAO. My native North Carolinian grandmother passed away at age 96 3-years ago and that was her M.O. to a tee.

She would use the worst bigoted words and phrases but follow with "bless their hearts," or "she was the cutest little (bleep) girl."

Somehow that made it all right!?!
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: language question - 07/13/06 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Hon:
The lady introduced us to her friend, describing my husband as 'my gringo friend from <the store where she works>'.

At the time, we thought nothing of it.

Being Canadian, I know more French than I do Spanish (Puede decirme donde esta el bano? smile ) This lady seemed so sweet to us, I hate to think that she was getting in a little racist dig at the mister. Was she?
No, she wouldn't have been making a derogatory remark about your hubby. She was simply using a descriptive word.

Belizeans refer to one another by saying dark skin, clear skin, red skin, light skin etc. Fat, thin, etc are also used as words of reference not in order to injure a person's feelings.
Posted By: Seachange Re: language question - 07/13/06 07:51 PM
I have also heard fat people called "fluffy" which I think is pretty nice.
Posted By: deacon+ Re: language question - 07/13/06 08:03 PM
I was very glad that not once did I hear the N word.
Posted By: reaper Re: language question - 07/13/06 08:15 PM
Australians call US citizens "Seppos"...translation, septic tanks!

I'll stick with gringo! laugh
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: language question - 07/13/06 08:52 PM
Klc, But hon's hubby is a Canadian, Not from the USA, so he's not a gringo right? Or is he a "Yankee Gringo" because he's from the north?
KLC, You have a mountain of knowledge smile Deacon you mean "NO" as in "sorry sir but we have NO more rum left on the island"? You won't hear that in MY San Pedro eek
Posted By: Bobber Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:10 PM
from klcman

"The term does lend itself to derogatory, paternalistic or endearing connotations, depending on the context and the intent of the user"

Context and intent. I consider myself to be a gringo when I am south of our border. I refer to any of the locals as "locals", kind of a catchall that I suppose, depending on the intent and context could be descriptive or insulting. I do hesitate in calling anyone "sweetheart", as depending on the context and intent, could lead to all kinds of things. wink
On a dive boat, gringos in must equal gringos out before anyone starts any engines. laugh
Hon, does hubby have a Canadian flag tatooed on his forehead? If not, probably looks somewhat like the US people, eh?
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:27 PM
I think he could probably pass for USAsian. Are all non local guys gringos or just Americans? It gets so confusing confused

btw, he has an Irish family crest tattooed on his forearm.

[picture removed]
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:31 PM
I the N word - NICE??? I get called that all the time!
Posted By: Bobber Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:36 PM
Being insulted is like being offended. You can choose to be offended or insulted if you like, meaning the other person wins. If you choose not to, you win. :p
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:41 PM
He Looks like any other "Gringo in Belize". (WOW I think I will write a song about that) wink
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:42 PM
Ok then, I win!

I like the sound of that. I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: language question - 07/13/06 09:43 PM
There you go. EH :p
Posted By: klcman Re: language question - 07/13/06 10:13 PM
agree Bobber - I be a Gringo when S of the border in ANY CA/SA country...and never feel slighted in the least when called one...all a matter of context & content. Hell, I've been called lotsa names by Gringos that would bother me more if I chose to let it.

2M - hubby (hons) not mine laugh be a Norte Americano and be done with it! or would that make him a HONey ?
Posted By: Bobber Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:48 PM
Hmmmm. Do they have a comparable term for Europeans? :rolleyes:
Posted By: klcman Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:53 PM
there's one person around here who likes to call some of them wankers
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: language question - 07/13/06 11:59 PM
shocked
Posted By: seashell Re: language question - 07/14/06 06:10 AM
I think that Wikipedia site needs to be cleaned up a little bit. What the heck is a US of Asian anyway?

Signed,

Raging Canuk
Posted By: klcman Re: language question - 07/14/06 11:09 AM
perhaps you need to become a Wikipedia editor SS, you can you know! laugh
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/14/06 01:16 PM
I see nothing wrong in being a Coonass.
Posted By: MALIBU Re: language question - 07/14/06 04:19 PM
I *might* have told this story here before...if I have please forgiv me.

In Chicago one cool March day we were going to a funeral. In the car pulling in to the cemetary one of my Aunts said "Here we are, Mount Carmel (?), this is where all the Dago's are buried". We are Italian.
Posted By: divingcowgirl Re: language question - 07/14/06 04:41 PM
Spyder,
I call myself a redass.....part redneck and part coonass! People laugh when I tell them that!:-)
Posted By: Bobber Re: language question - 07/14/06 04:46 PM
Being called a gringo would make me happy. It would mean I am on vacation and not busting butt to make it happen here. wink
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/14/06 04:56 PM
Bobber, I'm with you. I'll happily be a gringa if it means that I'm on vacation.
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/14/06 05:23 PM
Coonass comes from cajun. Some coonasses get offended if called so by otheres, but I'm quite proud of my heritage.
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/14/06 05:24 PM
Divingcowgirl, redass ain't bad!!
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/14/06 06:13 PM
Oh my gosh, Spyder, I just went and looked the word up and I am so sorry that I typed it. I would never, ever use that kind of word in conversation and I should have looked it up before I used it here. I have edited my post and I sincerely apologise to everyone who read it.

Because I come from a unique culture myself, I understand that there is a huge difference between the language/words used with family and others of common culture and the same language/words used by, for lack of a better word, outsiders.

Again, I'm sorry.
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/14/06 07:02 PM
No apology necessary. In Louisiana, it ain"t a bad word.
Posted By: Hon Re: language question - 07/14/06 07:33 PM
I ain't in Louisiana. Apology stands. smile
Posted By: kerry Re: language question - 07/14/06 08:34 PM
spyder, where in louisiana are you???covington here smile
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/14/06 08:37 PM
Now in Sarasota, Fl but born in Kaplan and raised in Houma.
Posted By: DB Re: language question - 07/15/06 06:50 AM
RedAss must apply to several of those in the photo from another thread in this section of the message board.
Posted By: divingcowgirl Re: language question - 07/17/06 07:03 PM
Spyder, Kerry! Howdy from Texas. I was born and raised in Vinton. Been through Houma and Covington a bunch of times. Had friends in both places.
DB, I saw that thread earlier and I'm still laughing.
Posted By: DB Re: language question - 07/17/06 07:32 PM
Divingcowgirl, Still laughing myself.
Where in TX are you?
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: language question - 07/17/06 08:36 PM
hey cowgirl, are you in houston by chance?
Posted By: Spyder Re: language question - 07/17/06 09:29 PM
Cowgirl, lived in Houston for 18 years until 3 years ago when I moved to Sarasota. Houston great town if you're working but to much traffic if you're not.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board