AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: reaper HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 04:19 AM
The NHL season gets underway this week!

My Pens and Kings are in for another long season I think...but the dreaded Ducks are looking good.

So once again...who is going to win Lord Stanley's Cup this season?

And sorry SimonB...the Leafs will be denied another year.

The Sabres are my longshot pick to go all the way, beating the Ducks in game six of the finals!! cool
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 11:33 AM
Go Sabres
Posted By: Craigswench Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 12:41 PM
My vote is for the Sabres too.
Posted By: Otteralum Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 01:21 PM
Look for my Jackets to make the playoffs for the first time and then be put firmly back in their place for another year.
Posted By: SimonB Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 03:32 PM
Hey! The Leafs have yet to lose a game in the 06-07 season!
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 04:49 PM
Blood on the ice tonight in Raleighwood, NC.
Posted By: fugazi Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 06:12 PM
I'm a fan of the lowly Wahington Caps in D.C. but it's because my son plays there, as a hockey professional in the NHL.

Just a little US-born kid bucking the odds with 'coke bottle' glasses skating on the natural outdoor ice rinks. But that said, he makes a pot-full of money.

Who's going to the Cup finals - even with an inside track: it's anybody's guess. For sure it's not Carolina - hah (due to the repeat stigma more than anything)!. The new CBA makes it a card shuffle each and every year. There no such thing as a steady locked-in lineup from year-to-year.

Sharks and the Flames in the West and the Senators, or you're correct, reaper; Buffalo in the east.

I like Dallas as a dark horse in the West and in the East - maybe, the NY Rangers.

Big market teams along the eastern seaboard get close and then fold in the "2nd season, that is the 2 1/2 month playoff run to the Cup. It's a brutal, exhausting finale spanning Oct to June. Probably too much but it's the money.

Always follow the money.

I work hard at not being tightly-wound about sports and hockey in particular! But that said, I need my 'satellite dish fix' where-ever I reside.

It's quite a treat, as a parent; being thrilled by a son, playing sports for $$$'s. Blessed, I am - truly blessed.

A key is keeping one's perspective and staying out of his personal and financial business. Recently though, I have been hinting: "pre-nup, pre-nup, pre-nup." Cynical, but practical enuf! Got to go - called my flight.

-Thx
Posted By: reaper Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 09:53 PM
The Pens vs. Caps was my first ever NHL game many years ago.
Ovechkin is amazing!
The Caps only have 4 US players on their team...
any hints so we can cheer for your son....
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 11:37 PM
One of the best places to see a game is at the Joe downtown Detroit. Dinner in Greektown and a hockey game, doesn't get much better. (don't knock it unless you've tried it)
Posted By: reaper Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 11:40 PM
Been there, done that...I love Wings games at the Joe!
Posted By: fugazi Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/04/06 11:56 PM
Originally posted by reaper:
The Caps only have 4 US players on their team...
any hints so we can cheer for your son....
I appreciate that kind cheer. He's from MN. Name is: Ben
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/05/06 12:00 AM
reaper, if you get back to Mi sometime let me know, we'll meet at Hella's in Greektown for dinner and catch a game! OOOMPA!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/05/06 01:50 AM
fugazi, did he play mite, squirt, peewee, bantam, etc on travelling teams in Minnesota growing up?
Posted By: fugazi Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/05/06 05:40 AM
He started in squirts A&B level and then up the skill ladder and so on. It was not so much parent influence but that of the local community kids and the peer pressure even down at the 5-6 yr old ages - maybe 30 outdoor rinks in his single suburban community alone and tons of kids playing pickup games afternoons, nites and weekends. I think there are over 150 indoor sheets of ice throughout MN communities alone for skating - hockey-boys and girls, figure skating and ice dance - they all share. The teams pay by the practice session - now I believe $175 dollars per hour. It's a big cost for the parents. But, even small schools participate - with fund raisers and local community support. They somehow make a season happen for the kids. And wow, do some tightly wound parents get into it ...

175,000 tx sold to the state HS hockey tournament Mar. weekend - year after year. The $$$ go to pay for other sports - baseball, golf, cross-country, softball, adaptive sports, other non-revenue etc. Even snorkling/scuba classes.

Kids just want to play, compete and hopefully have fun. Not unlike the pickup basketball games on the courts of the inner cities of today that develop such great talents.

It is not "where you play" to be discovered anymore. If you have talent, work at excelling and have good amateur coaching to accomplish those things (that's thankless job) you will be found and discovered. Small-time programs put out some great athlete's - baseball, football, basketball women and men's. With 30 yr old Federal 'Title Nine' - girls get the exactly the same number of basketball, hockey softball, etc. opportunities for college schlorships as men. There is now great opportunity for undergraduate women's sports programs.

I'm rambling here in an effort to be informative. Sorry, it was an avocation for so many yr.

-Enuf said.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/05/06 11:54 AM
How bout them Sabres.
Posted By: reaper Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 10/05/06 02:28 PM
Fugazi, did you get a drink from the Stanley Cup a few years ago???? cool
Posted By: reaper Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 06/07/07 05:02 AM
Hey, I almost looked like a GENIUS back in October.

Congrats to the Ducks...but as a Kings fan it is heartbreaking!!!

Posted By: SimonB Re: HoCaye is BACK!!!! - 06/07/07 02:01 PM
Having a team called the Ducks win the cup is blasphemy. But they did outplay the Sens. I think that long break for the Sens killed them but who's to say, they sure didn't show much heart last night.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board