AmbergrisCaye.com Home

A Poll for the users of The "road' North

Posted By: belizeonthebeach

A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/14/07 07:30 AM

The road from the bridge north is only a 'right of way' deeded by subdivisions and BEL access--from what I can gather.
Here is MY list of the worst non-civic minded land owners to date...
#1 of course is our Reef Village People who will not only not repair the road in front of there own jobsite, but make there workers wallow in the same muck.(They have access to $1 million worth of equipment, any of which could repair the road in an hour. Heaven help the Skydivers when they arrive. I understand after this year they will not return. Way to go Jeff!!

#2 The mudbogs in front of Sweet Basil. they are easy to recognize as they usually have 2 or 3 tourist stuck in them. Oh, The Reef Village Bunch own that too.
See #1

#3 is The Rocket Scientist in Tres Cocos that decided that strategically placing 3" ropes between the mud holes would ultimately slow us down to an acceptable speed.

#4 is the unavoidable holes just before the Palapa Apt.'s
Come on Juanito--A little help here!!!!!

# 5 is the contractor who is doing the Grand Caribe project. Oops again, Thats the same one doing Reef Village so bitching at them won't help. At least they could park the brand new Caterpillar Loader so we can't see it as we trash our rides going by. See #1 again.

# 6 is the perpetual mess behind El Pescador. In the 14 years I have been on this island their mud bog was always the most fun on a dirt bike.

Thanks to Chris Barenfinger for constantly trying to improve his stretch of road even if his neighbor goes out of his way to defy his good wishes.
Bob Bjorlene is a crabby old fart but he tends to the road in his domain against huge odds from the west.

I want more input from the folks who live past El Pescador---
Thanks
Jim Hanna
P.S. I am not whining--my back hurts and I am pissed about the $1,500 bucks to get my cart fixed.

Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/14/07 12:56 PM

Am curious about the non-existant road through Journey's End?
Posted By: Sun&sand

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/14/07 03:51 PM

I really wish the Reef Village people would do something. I hate thinking that we are a part of this mess. I will ask Jeff what his plans are once we are there, but I wonder if he HAS a plan, just hasn't carried it out yet, waiting for materials or something. I am really embarassed over this, even though I have nothing to do with it. Sorry it's like this. Wish things were different, and I will definately try to do something while I'm there.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/14/07 05:49 PM

So where is the "Poll" that is mentioned above?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/14/07 05:55 PM

Just a quick correction. Grand Caribe and Reef Village are not the same developers.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 03:04 AM

Sun & Sand, I hope you can get to your condo! I think Jeff owes it to the people such as yourself that have purchased condos from him to make them accessable other than by "helicopter".
Posted By: reaper

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 03:39 AM

I have been in touch with the Reef Village folks and have been assured the landing area will be cleared for our event.

The rumor of this being the last year is due to what will be done with the open parcel of land we use for our landing area.

If it gets developed, that will be the end of the "Boogie in Belize" skydive events.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 04:45 AM

R E: Jouney's End
It's paved with real 'Sleeping Policemen'

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Just a quick correction. Grand Caribe and Reef Village are not the same developers.

Sorry Amanda,
I said 'contractor' not 'developer'.
You folks are a class act and I hope your project is going to be a benchmark for future development on the island. The road still sucks though. Sorry again.
'Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery'
Posted By: Psych

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 05:02 AM

BTW, what was it that ran over Chris' road before it was dry?
If the person/outfit who did it is known, wouldn't it only be fair (honest) for them to repair the damage? And, hey, if they happen to be able to afford it, wouldn't it be great if they could also match what he did? Even in it's damaged state, the two strips of concrete appear to be preferred by the vast majority of travellers.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by reaper
I have been in touch with the Reef Village folks and have been assured the landing area will be cleared for our event.

The rumor of this being the last year is due to what will be done with the open parcel of land we use for our landing area.

If it gets developed, that will be the end of the "Boogie in Belize" skydive events.

Hey Reaper

Hope the road is fixed in time, or dried out at least - if not I guess folks can visit by boat or swim!

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 06:05 PM

Loansum, think we can charter a boat to get us from the bridge to our condo? ....maybe a jetski? If not, I'll wear my water wings to assure getting there....nothing, not even the threat of a tidal wave will keep me from living the dream for a few weeks.
Posted By: reaper

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 07:10 PM

Amanda,
we arrive by air and depart by boat, as you know. Shall i require inflatable rubby duckies as SOP jumping gear????:)
Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 07:36 PM

Journey's End is a major problem with the road issue. When it was developed no allowance was made for a future road. Something will have to work out. Working with developers up north, the GOB is requesting a min. reserve for future roads, drainage and sidewalks. Smart, seeing the remainder of the island hasn't realized proper planning. Wow! We are a real growing island and I a happy part of it.

Go North youg man.

SIN

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 07:59 PM

Hi Sun & Sand, we arrive on February 21st for a six week stay. Hope the rain will have subsided by then and the roads will be in decent shape. Like you, nothing will keep us away! I think we will invest in some hip boots though. What is the dates of your stay?
Posted By: MALIBU

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 09:51 PM

Here is a novel idea. If the BZ government wants to continue to reap the benefits of la isla bonita taxes it might want to run a large piece of machinery over the road north every once in a while. Like once a week or every other week. They do it elsewhere and it works just beautifully. I know that is a pipe-dream but hey....maybe somebody will read this and want to stay in 1Barrel with that tax money.
Posted By: San Pedro Daily

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 10:02 PM

The problem is alot more involved than that. There must be some engineering done to drain away the water. Since much of the roadway is swamp, thats a difficult problem.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/15/07 10:59 PM

Hey Loansum. We arrive on the 12th, and leave on the 23rd. Perhaps we can grab a cold one at CocoLoco's before we leave?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/16/07 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sun&sand
Hey Loansum. We arrive on the 12th, and leave on the 23rd. Perhaps we can grab a cold one at CocoLoco's before we leave?

coolLet's do it!

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/16/07 12:30 AM

Great! Sounds like a plan. Wonder how many other boarders we can get to CocoLoco's on say, the 21st??? I know you will want a cold one when you get in, and we'll be ready again, as well. Can we plan on a "board" gathering, at CocoLoco's on February 21st? Around sunset? Anyone else interested?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/16/07 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sun&sand
Great! Sounds like a plan. Wonder how many other boarders we can get to CocoLoco's on say, the 21st??? I know you will want a cold one when you get in, and we'll be ready again, as well. Can we plan on a "board" gathering, at CocoLoco's on February 21st? Around sunset? Anyone else interested?

Hell, how about the 21st AND the 22nd!

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/16/07 03:07 AM

Okeedokee...wave a flag at me when you get there...If I'm not at the bar, I'll be watching from my veranda!
Posted By: elbert

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/16/07 11:46 PM

north road? lets all get out our maps again and follow closely.
Your all on the south end of the island. the 'north road' is on the south end. could be your holding the map up side down.
No problem anytime i can help..your welcome

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 03:34 AM

I'm not on the south end. I'm definately on the north end...have to cross the bridge to get to us. Now, who is holding the map upsidedown?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 05:52 AM

Maybe elbert has had too many Belikins......or whatever.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 06:11 AM

Elbert lives on the north end of North Ambergris Caye(Actually somewhere in the middle). I live on the south end. Neither of us live in San Pedro.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 05:39 PM

I'm making a little Joke but seriously the bridge is on the south end as are most of the comments prefixed by the word 'north'.
I guess its a pet peeve of mine because I've been watching for 20 years the comedy of development and government on the island. in the 198o's the san pedro town board when it was one color party put the whole Island in the city limits and then when it was the other color party took out the north then the other color party put it back in when they gained office again. all this was for the purpose of getting the tax dollars paid to the town or paid to the central government. concerned politicians that owned land 'north' of the town limits paid 'much'(more than a 400,000.) less in property tax when it was paid to central government. annexing the whole island in most governments would depend on weather the town could service the area annexed or not.
but in our case its just collecting the money and improveing the south end with it and ignoring the 'North'.no one seems to notice since they all think they are on the north end anyway (im makeing a little joke again).

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 05:43 PM

So where (in your version) does North and South meet?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 05:53 PM

I think it's where that really large double coconut tree is, kinda in the middle, sorta.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 06:28 PM

If we're going to draw a line like Mason and Dixion It should be around/at the Mexico Rock area. Got your map out?...well where are you?...got it right side up? Now who is navigational Impaired?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 07:59 PM

Elbert, I appreciate your geographical expertise, but I think most of us use the town of San Pedro as a "center" point, and then go south or north of there. Granted, there is a lot more island north, and from where you are, we are probably ALL south of you, but when I speak of N and S, it is using San Pedro as the central location. The Mexico Rock area is very north of where I go, so I guess if you drew the line there, I'd be south. I think perhaps being too literal will only complicate things. In town is a given...below town is south, above town is north. Any questions?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 08:27 PM

Elbert: I know Bobby Mason...definitely a Southerner...but who is this Dixion???

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/17/07 11:49 PM

So lets talk about this road now that we know where we all are.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North [Re: belizeonthebeach]
Denny Shane Denny Shane

Am curious about the non-existant road through Journey's End?
Journeys end was made before the master plan, with out thought that a road might have to one day go through from the south to the north and no provision or space was put aside for it.It will some day suffer greatly having developed buildings that block progress because progress is a_______to stop or even renegotiate. with. The Mayor has made comments/suggestions that land owners be responsible for the road construction and maintenance for the sections that pass near or through their property because the Town doesn't have the money to do so. Thats not one of her better ideas but when you see the result of traffic flowing through and past in leave of a proper road you bend.
and I'm sorry to say it really comes down to the property tax issue again. the Tax money isn't going to help residents in the (You know where) get any benefit even though 75% of the tax base comes from the (you know where) end of the island.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 12:22 AM

Seems that the tax base is spreading rapidly, becoming evened out over the entire coast.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 02:26 PM

elbert, I know the reality of it all and knowing the layout of JE from a one time inside person so to speak... I just wanted to bring it to light and see how the authorities proposed to handle that particular situation.

At one time, prior to the storm, JE had an expanse of property in front of it all... then the storm and ocean reclaimed just about the whole front. Now there is no place for a road unless it is done in front of those Lagoon rooms and cuts the property in half.... which is fine with me.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 06:04 PM

San pedro daily

San Pedro town council has over the years changed the tax rates and given discounts for remoteness to town services, occupied or unoccupied land also in the past different rates for residents and non residents. In efforts to be fair but at the same time make land purchase for the purpose of speculation have to pay a price, but currently 1.5 market value is the rate, market value being the price it 'last' sold for. Property from rocky point to macro Gonzales, (all the way north to south. The North paying to the town board 1.5 of the recently purchased $300,000.00us 100 foot wide lots that line the beach for the 15 miles of the 'North'( if you draw the line at the river) to the southern town of San Pedro that doesn't have the money to fix the road in the north but spent a million on coble stoning their village.
This is what I mean when I say I have been entertained over the years watching the comedy of development and politics on the island.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 06:10 PM

i do not feel that the condition of the road northbound from the bridge will affect the tourism dollar, therefore nothing will change.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 06:15 PM

Taxation with out representation has been historically motivation for change.
If we challenged the right of San Pedro Town Board to Annex portions of Belize that it can't provide service for and won. The property tax money would then be paid directly to Belmopan (this has been done in the islands history twice).
The real threat of this might get a pot hole or two filled.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 07:45 PM

Which potholes? North or South? Red or Blue?

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 08:51 PM

Most of the old meets and bounds descriptions begin with a premable referring to the town centre being the San Pedro Catholic Church. Distances are measured and refered to as X #of miles north, south or west of the Church.

Does that help with definitions in this day and age?

Although sadly road provisions were not planned in the past, there will be a road to all points north.

The "wild wild west" approach to island living is quickly coming to a close and a more structured existence is begining. NO, we don't all like the progress, but now is a time to mold that progress rather than trying to ignore it or trying to buck the system so to speak.

Life is going to be very interesting from here on out! Are we all up for the challenge??? I like to think that we are.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 08:57 PM

Lets all wear purple Tshirts. No more red or blue.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 09:33 PM

I'll vote for purple.
Posted By: JZB

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 09:46 PM

purple has my vote too!

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/18/07 10:03 PM

I think we will all get arrested for Sedition

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/20/07 07:33 AM

My only intention when I started this thread was to shame, coerce, awaken, draw attention to the problem.
If and when the powers to be accept the liability for the road condition then I will bitch at them.
Until such time I don’t think I am outta line for asking for the property owners to at least make some kind of attempt to make the ‘road’ adjacent to there respective properties a little better? The ones with the big signs making millions are the ones that get to me the worst.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/21/07 04:46 PM

Belizeonthebeach
You are correct in your techniques.
I'm all for shamming them until they are embarrassed to go out in public.
The Island is blessed with a newspaper that also isn't afraid of a little adversity for a good cause.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/21/07 05:55 PM

The property owners are not going to do a thing until they are forced to do it... sorry, I don't mean the law abiding and caring owners...
Posted By: Marty

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/29/07 08:57 PM

Manuel Heredia will hold a meeting tonight at the Lion’s Den, 7:00pm to give a report on what Cabinet is recommending for the streets.

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/30/07 02:57 PM

Update, please Marty. Any news on the roads from the meeting last night?
Posted By: Axeman

Re: A Poll for the users of The "road' North - 01/31/07 02:54 PM

So, How is the road up North..today??????
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board