AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Recommendations for first timers

Posted By: GDZ

Recommendations for first timers - 01/24/07 08:10 AM

My wife and I are trying to make a quick get-away to relax...take in some sun and a little adventure. Not looking for a crazy scene, but rather more quiet and remote, with the option for culture and dining if we choose. Trying to keep it under $200/day. Any recommendations? Or, perhaps a contact to lead us in the right direction? Thanks
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/24/07 02:46 PM

"Quiet and remote", sounds like Caye Caulker to me!Day trips to San Pedro are easy and cheap for occasional shopping and more variety in dining. Should come in well below $200/day, depends on lodging choice.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/24/07 03:44 PM

Portofino-one of their standard rooms-great restaurant and will come just over 200-or banana Beach-courtyard suite and plenty of money left for food etc.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/24/07 05:14 PM

Pedro is right on the money , Portofino a class ,full service resort,up north side, Ambergris caye .Just what was Requested .. Quiet ,and remote, plus five star dinning there and six great plces whithin ten minute reach. Not a lot of rooms intimate , lush .Owner/manager lives on property a plus .. And banana beach ,also not bad choice if you want to go south ,see my trip report on the place posted yesterday .Go live the dream and enjoy..
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/24/07 06:13 PM

Portofino is actually $250/nt + 19% tax & gratuity at this time of year. Nice place though. Plenty of places under $200 - Banana Beach, Xanadu, Mata Rocks, Salamander, a couple rooms at Victoria House, etc. I think you can do a search on the lodging page and separate them by price range.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/25/07 03:29 PM

Agree with Richard, Caye Chaulker is much more laid back & quieter than S.P. We always spend a few days there before going over to S.P.
In Caye Chaulker you can walk around & not have to watch out for golf carts every where.
We stay at Seaside cabanas for about $105.us, I think it's the only place with a pool there.
Posted By: BrigitteBachmann

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/25/07 05:56 PM

Depending on how much time you have you could split your trip between Cayo for jungle, ruins, cave tubing, hiking, and then spend the second part of your trip in Placencia or Maya Beach for beach and water activities.
Just another option.
Brigitte
Posted By: GRAFFICE

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 02:40 AM

Hmmmmmmm 5 responses to "ABOUT OTHER PARTS OF BEILZE" come with recos about SP or Caukler........How about Turtle Inn,Cayes off the coast,Placencia Village or Cayo? 'Fraid they'll miss bringing you something?
Posted By: klcman

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 02:44 AM

c'mon dwayne, you been around long enough to know that 95% of this board is related to SP & CC.

Cheap shot on the "bringing".....do some research on that and you might be surprised at what you discover
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 02:47 PM

I'd go with 22% of the board devoted to AC & CC. There are 9 forums. smirk
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 05:22 PM

And the name on this website is:

AMBERGRISCAYE.COM

Most people that are looking for sand and sea are not necessary going to get turned on by the idea of a week in the jungle.

The beaches and sea in Placencia are very different than it is in SP and CC. I haven't checked it out but would imagine Turtle Caye Inn rates will be in line with Portofino. A little rich for a $200 per day budget.

I know a place I would recommend on north Ambergris Caye, secluded, romantic, affordable, pool, little to no golf cart traffic....

But its a secret....

Posted By: GDZ

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 05:25 PM

Thanks for your replies and advice. We've decided to spend the first 4 days in CC, maybe at the Iguana Reef. Does anyone know anything about it? - GDZ

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/26/07 06:29 PM

Nice rooms but on the back side of the island so can get hot or buggy depending on what time of the year you go.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 01/27/07 12:09 AM

Hot and buggy does not sound good at any price !!!! why gamble with a trip ,live the dream not the nightmare.life is to short.
Posted By: GRAFFICE

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 02/02/07 03:05 AM

sure hope ya enjoy your trip and have the opportunity to make many visits to see all the palces mentioned in this thread. IT'S A GREAT COUNTRY TO VISIT/LIVE-WE HAVE/HOPE TO
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 02/02/07 05:23 AM

Salamander-you have to be kidding

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 02/02/07 04:42 PM

It's quiet & remote & under $200/nt, isn't it? The cabanas are a bit rustic but good casual atmosphere, good food...
Posted By: belizehereicome

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 02/12/07 01:36 AM

try www.ambergriscondo.com ...its a friend of mines condo and it is quiet and in a great location.
Posted By: Falconview

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 03/08/07 07:32 PM

Take a look at these two sites for Adventure then!
http://folkmusicfl.tripod.com/adventuresinbelize
http://folkmusicfl.tripod.com/actuntunichilmucknal

I realize in your high budget range you may not want a hostel. But there are moderate fine places in San Ignacio and environs at a lot lower prices than you are looking for. I've heard okay things about couple of places on main street by the banks. In the center of town.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Recommendations for first timers - 06/25/07 03:27 AM

I would come here to Caye Caulker, check out Iguana Reef, Sea Side Cabanas, two of the most upscale lodging, well under $200. For relaxing adventure take the Ragamuffin 3 day sail to placencia, very relaxing staying on 2 islands and ending in Placencia, tents bed pads,showers, meals provided and even a bar set up at night.Fishing and snorkling along the way. take the bus from Placencia back on the Hummingbird Hwy, just beautiful and you will see alot of Belize
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board