AmbergrisCaye.com Home

FYI to those in the US who donate blood

Posted By: ghbyram

FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/18/07 03:42 PM

Just an FYI ...

My neighborhood was hosting a blood drive recently to benefit a neighbor who has cancer. I was surprised to be turned away due to my recent travel to Ambergris Caye. Apparently they will let you donate if you stay inside Belize City, but spending anytime anywhere in Belize outside Belize City was considered to be a Malaria risk and the waiting period for donation eligibility is 12 months.

Grady
Posted By: DANZA

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/18/07 04:34 PM

Yes that's a fact. But for some reason our health care provider
says no shots, vaccines, or pills if visiting AC. Only if you're going to stay on the mainland. Go figure.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/19/07 06:47 PM

You can give blood here in Belize though. Only 10% of the blood in the blood bank is "donated" the other 90% is "replacement" blood given by family members & friends of patients.

You must be at least 110 lbs in weight and you should give blood after you have eaten. There is a 23 line questionairre. The donated blood is screened for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, malaria, syphillis and chagas (a parasitic disease.)

Did you know blood is only stored for 35 days and then it must be destroyed?

The Belize National Transfusion Service (blood bank) is located on Princess Margaret Drive in Belize City.

I don't know if you can make donations to the bank by donating here on the island.

Nurse Natalie??? Do you know?

Posted By: kwalkpt

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/19/07 07:55 PM

There is currently no place here on the island to donate. Which is interesting - the Ministry of Health advises all pregnant women to donate one pint of blood (in case of emergency). So they would have to go to Belize City to donate and then have to go back to Belize City to get blood if they needed it!!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/19/07 07:56 PM

They have occassional blood drives on the island. But considering we are probably about 15,000 strong it might be time to start thinking about keeping our own supply.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/20/07 03:46 AM

Better be somewhere with a genset!!
Posted By: natalie p

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/20/07 11:26 AM

That's right, you cannot donate blood on the island here. Yes , sometimes there is a blood drive here and they come out from Belize City for the day and take the blood to the city with them.
Before getting a blood Bank, I think the priority would be to get a hospital, or at least a 24 hour emergency room here.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/20/07 01:52 PM

How true Natalie. We gotta remember to take baby steps and aim for small attainable goals.

Don't we all hate politics!
Posted By: Shanniqua

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 06/30/07 09:23 PM

I attempted to donate blood is the U.S. and was told that I'd have to wait 7 years after having eaten beef in the UK. That was 6 years ago. Dang, now I am a mad cow AND malaria risk?
Posted By: Rykat

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/01/07 04:52 AM

Shanniqua? smirk
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/01/07 06:11 AM

1. Bull shit

Or

2. How long were you in the UK?

I have been to the Uk twice since this crap started and they call me at least every 8 weeks to give blood.
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/01/07 01:10 PM

I was in the UK for 9 months in 1993 and told I can never give blood in the US again. Potential mad cow carrier.
Posted By: Shanniqua

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/02/07 07:33 AM

What, Rykat? Cute mug!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/02/07 08:22 AM

It is true that one can not give blood in the US if one has been to either the "cayes" or any other location in Belize...excluding Belize City in the past year. I am always conflicted between giving blood or spending my winters in San Pedro...well, not really very conflicted.
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/02/07 08:23 PM

Wow! That is one reason I have never been vaccinated for malaria. Once you have that you can never ever give blood IIRC.

BT, I wonder why they exclude BC?


Posted By: Otteralum

Re: FYI to those in the US who donate blood - 07/03/07 01:28 PM

Even the mosquitos try to spend as little time there as possible
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board