AmbergrisCaye.com Home

My Childhood Idol is Gone!

Posted By: reaper

My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 01:05 AM

I know it will be hard for some of you to believe that my childhood idol was Evel Knievel.
I was seven when I watched him live on Wide World of Sports crash over the fountains at Caesars Palace. What a showman!
I have a picture on top of the mound he built his ramp on for the Snake River jump in Twin Falls, Idaho. It is still there to this day.
Like many of you, I have scars from "Evel like" attempts. I even jumped a Flexible Flyer sled into a pile of stacked firewood (it ended very badly!)...as a kid it was so cool to jump anything, like next door kids laying down on the street, to the family pets, etc.

So how many of you have Evel induced scars as a kid????

Fly Free Evel...
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 01:25 AM

It's amazing he lasted this long after all the jumps I saw him try didn't end exactly "as planned". Yeh, I have my copycat scars! Amazing what a big deal his stunts were way back when.
Posted By: Scuba do

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 01:51 AM

Well,I took my Honda dirt bike and tried a jump,on the way up my rear tire hit a tree root and I slammed into another tree head first,removing the bark from the tree with my head.
Posted By: Rykat

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 02:02 AM

Yup! My childhood idol is gone also.

Henry Hyde(R) Illinois congressman gone at 83!

Hey at least I didnt get any "scars"! :-)
Posted By: Banana Beach

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 02:44 AM

Where was Evil Kneivel from??? ;-)
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 02:49 AM

i am a wimp, so, no scars.

but, yes, a showman. the stunts were a very big deal back then. i do remember the anticipation - my folks gathering us all in front of the TV to watch his next jump.

fonzie jumping the shark was sacrilige.

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 04:24 AM

Just a good ole Butte, Montana boy...and he played hockey!

(Rykat, you were no child when H.H. was impeaching Willy, even after his own affair! His support of Reagan during Iran Contra and his savings and loan debacle were sad. At least he was anti abortion and started out a Democrat...)

Back to Evel...

There are very few "happenings" on TV anymore that evoke thoughts of "where was I when that happened"?, unless it is a tragedy like 9/11 or the shuttle crashing.

Evel could get every kid on the block to stop playing and watch. It was like waiting for Christmas for me the weeks leading up to the rocket bike jump, you just knew he was going to do something dramatic...

Maybe we're just all too busy anymore or we get to damn many TV channels to create a buzz like Evel, an Ali fight, the Olympics, or even MNF used to do!

And scuba do...that story explains Alot!!!!!!!
Posted By: CROC

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 08:19 AM

He was a

OBNOXIOUS
DRUNKEN
WIFE ABUSER
CHILD ABUSER

Not the best Idol to have he should have gone long time ago
Posted By: Rykat

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 10:13 AM

reaper, you can have evel Ill take Hyde and I was only three when he had sense enough to switch parties. wink Now thats a brilliant mind!!! smirk
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 02:59 PM

Love those Montana boys!! wink
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 03:24 PM

I broke my arm trying to pop a wheelie on my bike.. was 12 at the time. Yep, he was a showman for sure.

Croc, everyone has bones in their closets, just some are better at hiding them.

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 04:11 PM

oh, and here I thought Croc was talking about Henry Hyde...
Posted By: elbert

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 05:35 PM

I like both wheels on the ground and not to fast.
also like getting old.
Do you know what a red neck says just before he dies?.....
...."Hea Guys,Watch this!"
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 05:42 PM

Or "Hold my beer"...
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 06:11 PM

&nbsp Reaper,
I'll miss Evil, too. I remember watching him at the Las Vegas jump, thinking to myself "he'll never live through that crash". What did he break, a few dozon bones?

&nbsp He was never my hero, I followed guys like Brad Lackey[1], Dick Mann[2] and Joel Robert[3]. Steve McQueen was a hero, since he was in the classic On Any Sunday and rode as many of the movie scenes that he could, including some of the ones in The Great Escape.

&nbsp I watched Evil. He was a bit of a clown and kind of a circus geek, but he was an American icon. He's probably lining up a jump between the clouds in heaven, even as I type.

Dan

Note 1. Brad raced for Husqvarna, CZ and three of the "Big Four" Japanese factories. First US rider to win the 500 GP Championship.

Note 2. Bugsy Mann was a racer's racer. He won Daytona, rode dirt track and set the 24-hour speed record, saying "it's the most boring thing you can do and still be doing something dangerous".

Note 3. Joel Robert may have been the most naturally gifted rider in history. He'd show up at the race hung over and too late for practice, waiting for the start with a cigarette in his mouth. Then he'd beat the pants off all the guys who worked out, ate right and practiced constantly. One of his teammates at Suzuki asked for a demotion to the 250 class, so that he could get away from Joel and win a few races, so Joel jumped to the 250s and kept beating him like a runaway stepchild. He was really gifted.

Note 4. What can you say about McQueen? The guy was a good actor and a suprisingly good rider. He went to bat for motorcyclists when the public's idea of motorcycling was the Hells Angels stereotype. I've been told that he walked off the set of The Great Escape when they required a stuntman for the scene where he jumps the old BMW over the barbed wire. They had to go drag him back to the set to finish the movie. He wanted to do that jump himself.

&nbsp

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/01/07 07:33 PM

Croc, relax...he was my CHILDHOOD IDOL...you know, when you don't know anything about a persons personal life, nor care at age 8, because he seemed WAY cooler than my dad.
But then I grew up and admired my dad most of all in my life.
And Dan, Steve McQueen and Paul Newman are the two "coolest" dudes to ever grace the planet!
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/02/07 08:04 PM

John Wayne.... what can I say?
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/03/07 05:39 PM

Evel was cool and we all dare-deviled on our bikes in the 70s because of him. Here's his last interview. http://www.maxim.com/EvelNeverDies/articles/9790.aspx

Lee Marvin was cool.
Posted By: knowell

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/06/07 05:01 AM

I have a few EK scars also. And also learned some of things he was or did as I grew up. But as a kid he was "it" back then. Saw his son Robbie set the world record here at Texas Motor Speedway a few years back also. And he has issues also but it is still fun to watch. Just old enough now not to imitate them anymore.

Also agree John Wayne, Paul Newman and Steve McQueen are 3 of the coolest actors of all time.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/06/07 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann

Just the Mennonites, or us Heretics too?

I've missed most of this post, as I’ve been drunk in San Pedro for a while now!

For me, Henry Hyde’s greatest moment was when as a House Manager, following the law and bringing charges against Slick Willy, (NOT for having an affair, but for lying under oath to the American people,) he drew the ire of Alec Baldwin, who announced on TV, that “WE SHOULD ALL GO TO HENRY HYDES HOUSE, AND STONE HIM AND HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN”, thus introducing to the less politically aware in the country the concept of reasoned and intelligent debate with the radical left !

Who did I admire: Winston Churchill, Ronald Regan, Margaret Thatcher, Lance Armstrong

Who did I want to be like? John Wayne, Roger Staubach, #3

Who did I end up like: Larry the Cable Guy/Basil Fawltey

My hero’s: My father and his fellow RAF Pilots of 1939-45
Posted By: captjeff

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/06/07 07:26 PM

Pugwash ,if your father was a Raf pilot 39 to 45 then he was a tru hero !!!To go up in that plane, you had to have , guts and big balls..
Posted By: cracked up

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/06/07 09:03 PM

DC, not many know those names. I appreciate that you do. They have my respect.
Although Steve McQueen was very capable of doing the riding himself, Bud Akins, an off-road and desert racer and close friend of McQueen's did the bike riding in "The Great Escape". The bike was actually a Triumph 650.

He and Steve McQueen, Dick Mann, Bad Brad, Joel Robert and Evel Knievel are all members of the AMA motorcycle Hall of Fame.

I raced aginst Dick Mann in the 70's in the Granite City summer AMA pro short track series, he was in his 40s, me in my teens.
For sure the best all round motorcycle racer ever. He's still riding and building bikes.

Evel Knievel did a jump there one night, great showman, appreciated what we were doing. Drew a much larger crowd for the races which up't the purse considerably. And since he didn't splatter, he was able to us in our routine after races beer and whisky binge.

Re: My Childhood Idol is Gone! - 12/07/07 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by pugwash
Originally Posted by Leah-Ann

Just the Mennonites, or us Heretics too?

You're a Montana boy, Pug? Hmmmmm, guess the jury's still out! :p :P
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board