AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees

Posted By: Otteralum

Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 04:49 PM

If you've moved frequently in the last several years and didn't get a notice, you may not have heard about a significant court settlement.

The following website details a court settlement with Visa, MasterCard and Diner's Club. If you are a frequent Belize visitor and your credit card account is stateside, you may be eligible for a big check.

http://www.ccfsettlement.com/
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 07:16 PM

Otter
This is very interesting - however - I am very reluctant to give ANYONE my credit card information. How can we deal directly with our credit card people?
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 07:27 PM

Settlement awards are coming out of a fund set up as a result of the class action suit. You cannot deal directly with your card company to file a claim; it has to go through the settlement fund. That said, if you still have the card/account where you believe inappropriate charges were made, you should have received a settlement notice. Most people tend to simply round file these but they are always worth a second look!
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 07:39 PM

I rec'd the packet yesterday, not sure I want to give all the info. that is required, from 1997 thru 2006.

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 08:04 PM

The other option would be #2 as listed where you count the number of days travelled overseas during the years in question. This is what Mrs. O. and I did. It does not require relinquishing any additional information, but your potential refund is far less.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 08:05 PM

Chloe, there are 3 different ways to request a refund the first way you do not have to give out any information than what they already have......that qualifies you for a maximum $25 refund. The second method is to give them the number of days you spent outside of the US between February, 1996 and November 2006. That is very easy for most people to calculate and that's the method I used. My wife and I each received a settlement form and both of us applied for a refund based on spending 276 days outside of the US between those periods. You can also apply online.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 08:26 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/09/07 11:09 PM

I received a packet the other day also, Still deciding what option to choose to get the most $$$$ back.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/10/07 06:23 PM

Unless you've kept every credit card statement since 1996, option 2 is going to be the best.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/10/07 11:26 PM

note: for visa, MC, ATM, and diners club customers only.
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/11/07 04:24 AM

I wish I would have noticed this thread earlier! (mad face)! I chose option #1 because I assumed I'd have to gather all receipts for the last 10 years. Oh well... $25 richer than I will be before I get the check! smile

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/11/07 02:00 PM

TQ -- no problems. First round is on Mrs. O. and me in Feb!
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 12/11/07 04:45 PM

Awe... thx Otter!
Posted By: klcman

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 05/18/08 04:01 PM

*bump*

Only 13 more days to file! (This dude almost forgot....OK - procrastinated! wink )
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 05/19/08 07:37 PM

I received this notice many months ago and opted for the $25 too - just don't have the time or inclination to go back through receipts. Wonder when/if a check will ever arrive - at the present time, it will give me half a tank of gas. LOL
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 05/19/08 07:53 PM

LM, what do you drive, a Vespar? laugh
Posted By: klcman

Re: Court Settlement on Foreign Transaction Fees - 05/20/08 12:37 AM

I just used my old & new passports and threw in dates under Opt 2 - I just love the fact that BZE always tosses in 30 days wink
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board