AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: islandgirl83 What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 02:53 AM
HELP!!!!!Ive tried theraflu, tylenol, advil.It's been 7 days and im no better.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 02:56 AM
A 5th of JD
Posted By: belizegial Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 03:31 AM
go to the Doctor. you might need some antibiotics.
Posted By: dabunk Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 04:15 AM
I use large doses of Vit c and echinacia, about 1,000 mg of c twice a day, and two caps of echinacia 3 times a day. Works great for me along with drinking lots of fresh OJ if possible.
Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 05:03 AM
time....
Posted By: seashell Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 07:40 AM
Cold FX and time . . rest and plenty of fluids . . chicken soup . .sleep . . .

smile

7 days, hunh? Well, you've got another 3 to go, bare minimum. Last time I had the flu, I was sick for weeks. Now I always get a flu shot.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 08:44 AM
is this a joke? I noticed it is the only post and just registered today. If it isn't a joke I hope you feel better soon and go visit the doctor. Best Wishes.
Posted By: seashell Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 09:02 AM
It sounded like a serious cry for help to me, Kzk. Maybe just a long time lurker wanting a little relief and hoping to get some good info here.
Posted By: Kra-Z-K Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 09:21 AM
True, maybe! Just souunds like they have not had a cold before. Usually when I do get a cold once in a great while it seems to be well over a week and the meds don't cure but relieve the discomfort.

Definately try some echanacia tea, one of the best things to make you feel better and very healthy for you...google it.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 02:33 PM
Leah-Ann is right on with this one. If a patient has had the signs/symptoms of the flu for more that a couple of days, we don't treat it, only treat the symptoms. It will last 7-10 days and go away, leaving you feeling like you have been run over by a train. So, eat healthy food, drink lots of fluids, take ibuprofen or tylenol three times a day for fever/pain, and get plenty of rest. Tea is great, as is the old Chicken Soup RX. Mostly, time, though. Sorry there isn't a cure yet. Even the "prescriptions" for this don't cure it, only shorten its' time.
Posted By: travelqueen Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/08/08 04:44 PM
Yep! I echo what the nurse says! ^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Phil Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/09/08 04:01 AM
Not sure man has learned to cure a single viral infection. Get to the moon and other distant planets, invent weapons to kill millions at once no problem. Common Cold. Oppps.
Rum
Posted By: seashell Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/09/08 06:10 AM
So . . immissing and belizeonthebeach, you are telling islandgirl to get drunk and stay drunk until the sickeness has passed?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/09/08 06:10 PM
Look for the "Rainforest Remedies" tinctures available on the island. Take "Immune Boost" and "Flu Away" several times a day in water. Local herbs. They work!
Posted By: elbert Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/09/08 06:19 PM
I'm a firm believer in them.
something magic in Jackassbitters.
tough name to swallow but it works wonders.
I do the whole one ounce bottle if i have something bad like the flu of stomach problems.
Main ingredient of most the bitters I have seen or tasted in Belize is--you guessed it--Rum
Posted By: Barbara K Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/09/08 07:43 PM
Rum or cane alcohol is just the carrier liquid/preservative. It's the herbs that do the work.
Posted By: Canukboi Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/22/08 10:56 PM
I went to the pharmacy and got ezythromycin (3 X 500mg) and my flu/cold was gone in a day. I also got the flu about a month back and got a shot in the butt by Dr. Gonzales (middle street near Castillo's) and was better within 2 hours...I don't know what was in the shot and I don't want to know, I just know it worked.

Good luck
Posted By: SimonB Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/22/08 11:04 PM
The only problem with that theory is that you were taking an antibiotic. Flu/cold is virus based and anti-biotics are for bacterial based infections.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/22/08 11:32 PM
The cold/flu signs and symptoms can turn into bronchitis, which is bacterial. This can be treated with antibiotics, as well as some pneumonias, so if it got to that point, the antibiotics would help. Otherwise, you are wasting your $$ with antibiotics and viral issues...if it clears it, it was bacterial. Medicine isn't an exact science, so it's worth a shot if you are feeling poopy. If it helps, good for you! Without certain cultures/swabs, you wouldn't know what the cause was, anyhow.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/22/08 11:56 PM
I still go with the Genie in the JB bottle. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/23/08 02:48 AM
The best/only cure is get vaccinated against the most common and dangerous current strain. I was just in England and vaccinations are given free there to certain groups of people - I qualified.

Influenza is to be taken seriously, as it's a killer. Though I'm just a layman and bow to any input from our resident nurse!
Posted By: seaexplore Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/23/08 04:30 AM
as a science teacher speaking in her most authoritative voice: Don't take antibiotics if you have a viral infection- it only makes the bacteria you have in your body more likely to become antibiotic resistant! Which is why we have these mega bacterial infections that can't be treated by any current antibiotics. If you have a bacterial infection, then yes, you do need antibiotics but otherwise it's best to just let the virus ride its course and do what you can to feel better.

That said, I swear by dayquil (can't take nyquil- it makes me pass out in the mornings), rest, and lots of fluids and TV/beach time.

The shot you got is most likely a vitamin complex shot that had B vitamins of some sort, and probably some iron, and zinc. Those are all things that will help you feel better if you're running low on energy and feeling icky.
Posted By: Sun&sand Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 01/23/08 02:37 PM
I agree that you shouldn't take antbx for viral bugs, but sometimes you don't know if it's viral or bacterial, and in that case, it is sometimes recommended that you take some kind of bug juice. But, don't stop taking it when you feel better...take the WHOLE bottle as prescribed. It is often when people stop taking the med because they feel better before taking the whole course, but the bug hasn't fully died yet, and it comes back stronger and resistant to the antibiotic. Ideally, the recommendation of playing the bug out is best, but sometimes it isn't practical. And, how many people insist on getting a prescription when they pay for a doctors visit, even if you explain to them it won't help. They want to get something for their money, even if it won't help them. Go figure. Too bad doctors can't prescribe placebo meds. Would help an awful lot.
Posted By: FEEDthePOOR Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 02/01/08 07:03 AM
Go to the web site: http://www.puretango.com and
buy the Chinese Herb preparation called: Immunophase.

This was used effectively by Chinese medicine doctors to cure SARS during that epidemic in China while the western doctors in China were getting SARS and could do nothing for their patients
but make them worse.

Also read the book OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT by Morton Walker who recommends the Olive Leaf Extract brand made by EAST PARK RESEARCH. Olive Leaf Extract is one of nature's miracle natural antibiotics. It has been proven to disable most every pathogenic organism known to man.

FEEDthePOOR

Posted By: SimonB Re: What is the best cure for the flu??? - 02/01/08 03:10 PM
Lead testing kit included? wink
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board