AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Earthquake?

Posted By: elbert

Earthquake? - 02/12/08 02:53 PM

Anyone feel any shaking this morn around 7 ? dish rattle that sort of thing.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:38 PM

Could've been me, I had a big bowl of refried beans last night.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:38 PM

You sure could have. There was a 6.4 magnitude earthquake in Chiapas, Mexico just before 7am this morning.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:39 PM

I felt it too - and some others that I spoke with did as well.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:43 PM

I miss all the fun, didn't feel a thing.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:47 PM

I felt it. Pretty amazing.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 03:48 PM

I think you are all full of beans! I didn't feel anything. smile
Posted By: LaraTravelBelize

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 04:46 PM

hey! i felt it! (and yes, i was alone wink ). I was wondering if it was just in my wee little noggin....how cool! I hope everything is ok up there in mexico though...for us it was a cool little shake in the bed to start the day off, for them, might have been more than that...hope not!
Posted By: scubawalk

Re: Earthquake? - 02/12/08 04:59 PM

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A strong earthquake of magnitude 6.4 shook southwestern Mexico on Tuesday, the latest in a series of temblors in recent days, but there were no initial reports of damage.

The earthquake hit at 6:50 a.m. local time (1250 GMT) and was centered about 23 miles northwest of Arriaga, in the state of Chiapas, at a depth of 72 miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

"We have no material or human damage," said civil protection official Zaydi Garcia in Tuxtla Gutierrez, capital of Chiapas state and 65 miles from the quake's center.

"We felt it fairly strongly here but we have no reports so far of damage or fallen buildings," said civil protection official Jose Basan in Oaxaca, a colonial city with cobblestone streets popular with tourists roughly 160 miles (260) from the quake's center.

The earthquake, which the USGS revised down from a preliminary reading of 6.6, was barely felt in the capital Mexico City.

Since Saturday, three moderate quakes have rattled the northwestern Mexican city of Mexicali.

Mexico is prone to earthquakes, especially along its Pacific coast. Those above magnitude 6.0 are the most dangerous.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board