AmbergrisCaye.com Home

R.I.P

Posted By: Rykat

R.I.P - 02/28/08 04:18 AM

William F. Buckley Jr - A great American patriot, prolific author and ardent proponent of Western civilization. frown
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: R.I.P - 02/28/08 06:13 AM

Articulate and perceptive . . . he angered those who could not compete with his grasp of current issues and frustrated those who could not refute his arguments . . . a conservative who could state his case while respecting the right of others to disagree, and yet earn the admiration of his opponents by admitting his own admiration for their sincerity. His sarcasm was limited to those who refused to concede that there are legitimate differences and his wisdom was in understanding that sincerely held belief was different from, and superior to, political rhetoric.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: R.I.P - 02/28/08 03:15 PM

His voice will be missed.

KC, sometimes you amaze me with your perception and eloquence. shocked
Posted By: Chloe

Re: R.I.P - 02/28/08 05:42 PM

OH yes Bill's voice will be missed. RIP
Posted By: azbob

Re: R.I.P - 02/28/08 10:03 PM

A sane voice in chaos is silenced, may he rest in peace.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 02:27 AM

oh yeah, one of america's heros
big fan and defender of U.S. Senator Joseph McCarthy; supporter of segregation in the South, refering to whites as "the advanced race;" former member of the John Birch Society - hey at least he finally came out in favor of the legalization of drugs, although he apparently decided it would be a good idea to ban the use of tobacco in America (he died of emphysema, brought on by his inability to control his own smoking habit.)

Yeah, we need a few more like him...
Posted By: Big Mike

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 02:46 AM

“The central question that emerges…is whether the White community in the South is entitled to take such measures as are necessary to prevail, politically and culturally, in areas where it does not predominate numerically? The sobering answer is Yes—the White community is so entitled because, for the time being, it is the advanced race.”
—William F. Buckley, National Review, August 24, 1957

Sounds like a terrorist to me!!

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 02:55 AM

we need a lot more like him to counteract the ilk of the left (coast)!

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:00 AM

Some things simply don't deserve to be celebrated. A bigot is a bigot, no matter where he lives or how impressive his vocabulary.

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:01 AM

Hmmm, 1957. 50 years ago. Hmmm. Funny how things change in 50 years. Just a thought.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:14 AM

Or don't change...

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:22 AM

...or the perception never changes in some peoples eyes, no matter how much circumstances do. Just another thought. smile
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:27 AM

May he rest in peace - his polysyllabic dialouge and razor sharp wit flew right over the heads of many. He was an engaging intellect in the midst of lesser minds.

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:31 AM

Hmmm. is the good Democrat Senator Byrd now totally forgiven for being a Klansman??? Just another thought . . . .

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:35 AM

That's different. Somehow. smile

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:42 AM

why would it be different? a bigot on either side is still a bigot.
anyone able to point me to Mr. Buckley's recantation of his racist views?

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:43 AM

Funny how that works . . . somehow only the anointed are redeemed. whistle

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:48 AM

how what works? where do you see redemption for either of these individuals? who do you view as "anointed?"

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:55 AM

No way KCJ, Byrd is an idiot too!!

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 03:57 AM

my point exactly, Mike!

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:00 AM

What I am saying is that people can, and do, change, whether from experience or conscience or both. If we are all to be cast down for our past transgressions, with no hope of redemption except that beyond the grave, there is not much incentive to modify our views or behaviors. And recanting those past transgressions could be full-time work, as there will always be someone who will disagree with every postion we have espoused. We are each a creature of our time and place and in a perfect world we would all adapt to change at the same pace. Perhaps we can agree that this is not a perfect world.

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:12 AM

Well put, KC. The term is live and learn. And I agree with Leah Ann. A bigot is a bigot, no matter which way the finger is pointed, regardless of political party, ideology, or phase of the moon, or race. We are equal in God's eyes, and it would be really nice if we could be equal in each others eyes. Unfortunately, we are imperfect, and nobody is equally imperfect in the eyes of another.

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:15 AM

I like to think that my imperfections are more equal than yours. It's a power trip of sorts.

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:21 AM

On a lighter note, here's what Buckley said about The Beatles.

“The Beatles are not merely awful. They are so unbelievably horrible, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art, that they qualify as crowned heads of antimusic.”

See, he was a complete lunatic!!

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:25 AM

He probably had preteen kids at the time!! Or had been talking to my dad!! shocked

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:25 AM

KC, you are under the false impression that you have perfected your imperfections. Or vice versa. You are confused and should never be allowed around beer.

Mike, opinions are like, well, opinions. laugh Personally, I didn't think the Beatles were as great as those millions of swooning girls seemed to imply. My opinion.
Posted By: azbob

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:45 AM

You know, I never really thought much of Elvis, but there are those that called him KING! And yea, there was a few of the Beatles songs I liked, but the Stones were better. WOW, how did we get from there to here?

Re: R.I.P - 02/29/08 04:51 AM

Because, like Buckley, we're imperfect!! grin
Posted By: pugwash

Re: R.I.P - 03/01/08 04:30 AM

A favorite Buckley quote of mine, perhaps one to be considered by those who only see things in Black and White?

"To say that the CIA and the KGB engage in similar practices is the equivalent of saying that the man who pushes an old lady into the path of a hurtling bus is not to be distinguished from the man who pushes an old lady out of the path of a hurtling bus: on the grounds that, after all, in both cases someone is pushing old ladies around"

Re: R.I.P - 03/01/08 04:38 PM

Good one, pugwash. Now keep this thread up there it appears to be the only way politics can be discussed without offending Jesse and being banned for a week or two.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board