AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 07:40 AM
I have some medication that says 60 g (I'm assuming that means grams).
The airline allows 3 ounces only. Can you tell me how many ounces this tube of ointment weighs? I've looked for conversion tables and can't find this one.
On this trip to California from Belize I had a half used tube of toothpaste that they confiscated because "the ounces marked on the tube was more than allowed". It didn't matter how much was in it. Doesn't it make you feel SAFE knowing that we are being so well protected?
I can hardly wait to get back home to San Pedro Town.
Posted By: natalie p Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 11:01 AM
60g=2.11643oz. When are you coming home Harriette?
Posted By: LuvHotRods Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 02:26 PM
I use this website to convert english to metric all the time.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking
Posted By: SimonB Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 02:26 PM
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/gram_calc.htm
Posted By: Anonymous Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 02:41 PM
I never remember that conversion. I just remember that 1lb = 454 grams (as seen on the side of a pot of jam) and go from there. I wonder whether the TSA people have any idea what a gram is?

My last flight taking off from the US I had the remains of a large tube of toothpaste. They saw it and let it through. It's the inconsistency that worries me more than the silly rules. I don't think they're worried about most of this stuff getting on planes - they're just trying to show the public that they're on top of the situation. It's all PR.
Posted By: elbert Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 02:41 PM
:)I think its imperial to metric smile
Posted By: pugwash Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 03:12 PM
28 gramms to an ounce!

didn't anyone else survive the 80's?

I can't figure why you can carry a bottle of 151 (basically Fire Accelerant) but not Habanera Jelly?
Posted By: Barbara K Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 03:13 PM
My favorite TSA story is they made me check hot sauce in my luggage but let me carry on a cricket bat! Go figure.
Posted By: inkblot Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 03:48 PM
Welcome to Security Theater!

Where you're given the illusion of security at the cost of your liberty...

(link to funny cartoon )
Posted By: elbert Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 06:29 PM
inkblot That is funny
Posted By: elbert Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 06:31 PM
Barb. I don't even want to know what you do with the hotsauce and the cricket bat crazy
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 08:27 PM
thank you, pug. i was waiting to see if anyone else thought as i did...
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone - so I can bring this oinment but not my toothpaste that is 4.2 oz.
What a joke all this "security" is.
It is becoming more clear every trip I make back here to California how fortunate I am to be able to live "FREE" in Belize - especially free of fear. Everyone here is so uptight. I listen to the news and find there is little being reported that I need to know!
Thanks to Marty, Jesse and all the regulars for making it possible for me to stay tuned in to our La Isla Bonita.
I'll be back Tuesday, March 11th. Like the Cubans I'll kiss the ground.
Posted By: RMT Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/04/08 09:38 PM
Just curious but who exactly is "Everyone"?? I for one don't feel that "fear" that you speak of. Sorry your trip went so poorly. You sound extremely frazzled. I'm not sure if getting wound up over tooth paste is worth it. Just a thought...
Posted By: Rykat Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 02:37 AM
Hey Harriette, ummm did ya ever think a ziploc bag and in your suitcase might make the "medicine go down" a little easier?
Just a thought. Just cant quite imagine getting that riled up over toothpaste either!!!!
Sounds like you're looking for an excuse to "WHINE"? But then again what do I know Im one of the oppressed here in the States but at least I didnt spend my whole life kissing Castro's ass.
Posted By: Caye Connect Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 02:44 AM
A little known fact about Google is that it is also a conversion tool and basic calculator.

Put "4.2oz in grams" into google and voila:

4.2 ounces = 119.067997 grams

And for those in real estate try "10 acres in square feet"

10 acres = 435 600 square feet

or something a bit more simple - "square root of 1000"

square root(1 000) = 31.6227766

or really simple - "2 * 74"

2 * 74 = 148

Pretty cool stuff...

Posted By: jenni sharp Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 03:37 AM
did u know u cant carry on conch shells, apparently they can be used as a wheapon.
Posted By: pugwash Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 05:59 AM
Here's one for Rykat

Originally Posted by KnckrBckrNYC
A little known fact about Google is that it is also a conversion tool and basic calculator.

I tried the calculator......

I entered in "the combined IQ of 10 democrats?"

the answer was........

equals that of 4 republicans!
Posted By: SimonB Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 02:44 PM
pugwash, the Canadian Loonie weighs 7g. Coincidence? I don't think so! Calibrate those scales dude!
Posted By: Rykat Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 02:59 PM
gee...I got 3. Must be doing something wrong. wink
http://www.hillarypen.com/?source=3047
Posted By: Nova Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/05/08 03:47 PM
LOL @ pugwash!!!

Cool new search engine: www.genieknows.com
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/24/08 08:24 AM
&nbsp Pugwash,
I survived the 1980s just fine, thank you, although the "me too" movement and lame music scene almost drove me to jump off a bridge. Actually, I survived the 60s and 70s, as well. I'm told that I had lots of fun.

&nbsp Yes, there are 28g/oz, except in metals. In that case the conversion is 31g/oz. As you may recall, the price of metals peaked in the 1980s. I was living in the Sierra at the time, mining gold. Troy ounces are a little bigger than an ounce avoirdupois.

&nbsp A loonie is 7g? Do tell. A US nickle is 5g, which gives you five grams for five cents. That makes it easy to check the accuracy of a scale.

&nbsp You may not carry a bottle of 151, or any other high proof liquor in the cabin of a US aircraft. See 49 CFR 175.10(a). It's against FAA regulations, and has been for years. Naturally, the TSA (Thousands Standing Around), is ignorant of FAA regulations. They only half understand Homeland Insecurity regulations, and they're not going to worry about the FAA rules. Liquids over 3oz are not allowed. Exceptions are liquids purchased after the security checkpoint and medical liquids like Harriett's.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

Originally Posted by pugwash
28 gramms to an ounce!

didn't anyone else survive the 80's?

I can't figure why you can carry a bottle of 151 (basically Fire Accelerant) but not Habanera Jelly?
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/24/08 08:37 PM
Rykat - You sure do miss the boat! A lot! Do you really not understand the desire to carry prescription medication in your carry on?

AND HEY RMT- it's not about toothpaste - it's about inconsistency - but then you are never inconsistent.

It's good to be back home in Belize.
Posted By: RMT Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 06:55 PM
I don't think you know me well enough ( or at all) to make that judgement Harriet.

Just back from Panama and yep it's always good to be Home! smile

Btw Harriete did you ever write that great American ( sorry belizean) novel yet?
Posted By: travelqueen Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
Thanks everyone - so I can bring this oinment but not my toothpaste that is 4.2 oz.
What a joke all this "security" is.
It is becoming more clear every trip I make back here to California how fortunate I am to be able to live "FREE" in Belize - especially free of fear. Everyone here is so uptight. I listen to the news and find there is little being reported that I need to know!

So you just stay ther down in Belize where you don't need to worry about meaningless stuff like security and sizes of toothpaste etc. The topic of inconsistency of the TSA has been discussed several times... although for some reason, doesn't seem to be a big issue to most... perhaps Belize is where you need to be - nothing ever bad happens there and you're totally 100% safe.

I can think of a few things to worry about... travel size items ain't one of them.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:21 PM
the issue was really the prescription. i read that one should always carry Rx's in their carry-ons. luggage can get lost, as we all know...
Posted By: travelqueen Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:24 PM
Sorry I couldn't help it... when there's "that guy" who consistantly gripes and is sometimes a bit judgemental... it's just natural that I (or we) would take it as it usually comes... ongoing trend there.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:34 PM
TQ, have to go with you on this one!

Inconsistency wtih the TSA is only a small part of the travel picture worldwide. They took my good tweezers and my new Lancome masacara in Dominican Republic a few months ago. DR is not governed by the TSA. This stuff happens everywhere.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:39 PM
only a woman would understand the value of "good tweezers"! wink
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 07:45 PM
LOL SJ, for sure. I was peed. It is just stuff (new stuff too), but a pain to get it confiscated. I am 99.9 percent sure the woman just wanted to keep it for herself.
Posted By: RMT Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 10:09 PM
Thanks TQ, somehow you said it better than I did. smile

On the way out of Panama we saw the works piled in a huge plastic container. My family was quite amused at what we saw..... a hammer, baseball bat, screw driver, tool kit, matches, a license plate, scissors, AIR HORN(! lol) you name it. Yes, it's everywhere and that is the whole point me thinks.

LaurieMar some pictures coming your way in a couple days! Thanks again for your advice. Claudio says hello and I will email you details.

You're right ladies, no woman should have her tweezers confiscated! lol
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 10:39 PM
Very cool - will look forward to it! I love Panama!
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 10:45 PM
I forgot to say that I will gladly put up with any inconsistencies the TSA may throw my way in favor of getting to travel! LOL.
Posted By: klcman Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/25/08 11:53 PM
And if ayone tells you there is no inconsistency with the screening at Goldson, sell them that oceanfront land in San Marcos that E claims to have. I wish I had a Belikin for every lighter they have confiscated (always because I forgot to stuff it in a backpack or camera bag) and TWO Belikins for every one I've gotten through (inside the same bags)! wink

Posted By: pugwash Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by RMT
On the way out of Panama we saw the works piled in a huge plastic container. My family was quite amused at what we saw..... a hammer, baseball bat, screw driver, tool kit, matches, a license plate, scissors, AIR HORN(! lol) you name it.

It hadn't really occurred to me until I read this that each time I travel, I have a "dealers" license plate in my computer bag.

We live 250 miles from SLC , 350 from Denver and 450 from Phoenix or Vegas, so each time I travel, there's a drive to the airport and a vehicle to leave until I return.

In every case, it costs less to take a vehicle to the auto auction and run it through the sale, with a $25 no sale fee than it does to use airport parking for 2 weeks, plus there's always an airport shuttle each way and a truck with jumper cables available when I get back in the middle of winter!

In 6 years, I have never once been asked about carrying a license plate�. Until the next time I suppose!
Posted By: seashell Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 05:40 AM
When I was in Spain with LaurieMar, at the Madrid airport on the way to Barcelona, they told me that I had a nailfile in my big carryon purse and I'd have to hand it over. I couldn't find one in there, so they let me go. The next time I passed through that same airport, they again told me I had a nailfile in my carryon purse. I still couldn't find it but they were quite insistent the second time and wouldn't let me go until I located it. I scrounged and scrounged through that bag. I found all kinds of things more deadly but no, there was nothing for it but that I fork over the offending nailfile.

I was most confused, but did finally manage to pull out my blunt-end ceramic nailfile, bought specifically because it was ceramic and wouldn't be confiscated. Well, of course, they took it, despite my protestations that they shouldn't need to take it. Oh well, let's get on with the trip, right? And so I did.

When I got back to my home in Canada and was unpacking and putting things away, I came across the true offender, tucked in a fold in a pocket. It was a indeed a metal nailfile, but just one of those little duffers about 2-3 inches long from handle end to metal tip. That nailfile had been to the Caribbean numerous times and probably even Southeast Asia, once or twice before it ever made it to Spain.

Sure would have come in handy a few times, had I ever realized that I'd had it with me.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 11:23 AM
&nbsp All,
somewhere down the line, this thread changed into a rant about the TSA. I recommend printing out this page from the TSA website. Carry the printout with you as you go through security, then when the knucklehead at the x-ray machine trys to take your nail file you can show them that the TSA specifically allows them. Often, the folks who are doing the screening have no real idea what is allowed or disallowed.

&nbsp I'd like to join the rant and offer some insight. One of my cronies at Chase Field had a day job as a high mucky-muck at Sky Harbor's TSA office. He was second in command for one of the busiest airports in the USA. I've asked him about this stuff and he's always been honest with me. For example, nobody's ever going to hijack an airplane by holding a boxcutter to a stewardess' throat, ever again. The pilots simply won't open the cockpit door. It's not going to happen. She's expendable and she knows it. Is somebody going to hijack a plane with a nail clipper? No, it's just not possible.

&nbsp Orville has since moved on to be the top man at another big airport, I think it was Atlanta. Before he left we talked about security in general and the TSA in particular. Here's the concepts that I came away with: Security can't become static or it becomes too easy to breach. If the policies of a security operation don't change, opponents have an easier time planning to overcome those policies. Now, many of the TSA's random changes are simply poor training. For example, some of the rank and file still want to take your corkscrew, even though you are specifically allowed to have one in your carry on. On the other hand, some of the stratigic changes are there to keep the TSA policies fluid. Some of those changes make no sense, but they're changed just to keep things changing.

&nbsp The TSA is secutity theater, by and large. Orville was candid about this. The organization does have a function making air travel safer, but it also exists to provide the illusion that the government has things under control. In reality, terrorists can down aircraft under tight security. Wasn't an El Al jet downed a few years back? The Israelis are highly experienced in counterterrorism, and the lost a jet in the post-911 timeframe. Are the USA's counterterrorism efforts in the same league? Probably not, but we tend to feel safer when the TSA hassles us.

&nbsp When the TSA hassles me, I know it's phony. But I try to take it in stride. After all, a little security theater isn't too high a price to pay to take a trip by air. I'll trade a few minutes spent with a pimply-faced kid in a TSA uniform to save a few hours driving time, any day. It sucks, but not as much as the alternatives.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

[end rant]

&nbsp
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 12:35 PM
nicely stated, dan. it is a necessary evil we need to endure to get where we want to go.

ss - truth IS funnier than fiction. bf (unbeknown to him)carried a small pocket knife in his backpack thru PHL and DFW airport's TSA, all throughout bz before it was taken at goldson. he was bummed when they took it; he thought he'd lost it some time ago.

personally, having to be at the airport 2 hours before my flight is a bigger PITA...
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 02:55 PM
As the TSA says: 3, 3 and 1.

Overall, as long as I safely make it to my destination on a somewhat timely basis, I am a happy girl.

Happy Travels - its all good! Sometimes, pretty funny too. (Except for that other time I got really mad at the TSA for taking my olives and sauce from Spain!) Stooopid me, I inadvertently packed in my carry on, thinking of the good ole days when you could.

Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 05:29 PM
yeah, that olive thing still gets to me too! frown
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 05:48 PM
LOL LA, ya know those olives HAD your name on them!
Posted By: seashell Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/26/08 07:37 PM
Dan, I really don't think that the Spanish airport security people care what the US TSA printout says. As far as that goes, I'm not sure that the US TSA cares what the printout says either.
Posted By: Dan Carey Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/27/08 03:00 AM
&nbsp LaurieMar,
I'd like to see Homeland Security tell us how many airliners have been hijacked with a jar of olives. What's a terrorist going to say? "Let me in the cockpit, you infidel, or so help me allah I'll stuff olives in the stewardess' nostrils and smother her." Oh, well, it's good to know that the government is in control.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/27/08 02:36 PM
Dan, my thoughts exactly.

LA, you never know: I hear the south of France produces killer olives due to the great influence of Spain and France very nearby. A jar of olives may make it back to the U S of A this time.

Posted By: Leah-Ann Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/27/08 09:10 PM
LM - you keep me posted on that! smile

Dan, not only olives but apparantly PeanutButter is extremely dangerous. Thanks to TSA, TacoBoy didn't get one very large peanutbutter order! mad (Liquid or jell? I never quite figured that one out.) laugh
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 12:32 AM
http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/62336785/large

what breakfast looks like in one particular olive-loving (aren't they all?) town in turkey...where meals are always a lingering social event.

LA - one can never tell if there is an AK-47 hidden in that jar of peanut butter...
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 03:38 PM
SJ, too many olives for me at breakfast time! LOL Though, I do love how mealtime in Europe is a long, lingering social event.

On my last night in Spain, I wanted a martini, straight up, dirty, with olives. They didn't know what I was talking about and I never did get my olives! Who would have thunk that? With Spain being a major olive export country and all.
Posted By: Barnacle Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 04:01 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/03/27/nipple.ring.ap/index.html
Posted By: sweetjane Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 04:52 PM
shocked
Posted By: colomojo Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 05:50 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous!! IMO those TSA screeners were using a power play on this woman!! That kind of stuff makes me plain angry! I hope she gets her apology and more!
Posted By: RMT Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 07:09 PM
I just hope it wasn't a certain someone on here or we'll never hear the friggin' end of it.....:D
Posted By: colomojo Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 07:18 PM
confused hhuummmm!! Not thinking it was but - we may never know! I just saw it on my local news in Denver - how crazy is that? I wonder how often that actually happens. I have never had to remove jewelry and we travel a lot.
Posted By: RMT Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 07:30 PM
Just teasing Colomojo...long story.
Yeah, I see it all over the news today. Just some $#@ with a little bit of "power" running amuck.
Posted By: colomojo Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 07:38 PM
grin No problem! I know what you mean though!! I follow the board pretty regularly and just have to shake my head somedays!! But all in all this is a great board and lots of cool people! There is always a bad apple in the bunch (like the TSA screener). Poor woman - I bet her tata's were sore! Can I say that here?
Posted By: PalapaBob Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/28/08 10:51 PM
At the risk of being seen as insensitive to her plight I offer this. Would it not be prudent for a person with body jewelry to remove it before flying? You don't think it will set off the detector? I can't get through if I leave a quarter in my pocket. As a semi-frequent flyer I try to make it as easy as possible to pass through security, for my convenience as well as every one else in line behind me.
I agree the TSA can be unreasonable but why even take a chance? I wouldn't want there job.
Posted By: colomojo Re: HELP grams to ounces - 03/29/08 05:54 AM
PB -
I completely agree - however, I've never had to take any jewelery off including earrings, wedding bands or a bb ring, but then again I never have had anything set the machines off in that respect except my bra. I have had my upper body wanded due to underwires and I don't really want to take my bra off just to go through security. I guess guys are lucky they don't have underwires in their tighty whiteys or boxers.

I personally think the TSA screeners went too far - I don't think this particular woman is the first to go through with booby jewerly - in fact it was the wand that set the thing off not the metal pass through detector.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board