AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Date of Easter

Posted By: Anonymous

Date of Easter - 03/20/08 03:20 AM

This Easter is the earliest for 95 years, and it won't be this early again for 220 years. Given that "Easter" started life as a spring equinox festival that was later hijacked by Christianity (just like Christmas) isn't it high time the date was fixed? What date would make best sense for most people?
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 03:35 AM

The entire month of April - Im tired of working!
Posted By: seashell

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 06:08 AM

Last Friday in March? First Friday in April? There's no stat holidays in March or April, other than Easter. It's a long wait until the May long weekend.

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 06:38 AM

Actually, even though Easter was indeed taken over by Christianity they didn't change the name (unlike Christmas - who remembers what that was called back in "pagan" days?). Easter is not a name that derives from anything Christian. Strange, as it's the most important Christian festival.

Thanks to Wikipedia.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 02:39 PM

Christmas hijacked by Christians??? huh????
Posted By: Nova

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 02:47 PM

http://www.essortment.com/all/christmaspagan_rece.htm
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 03:04 PM

I think its fine that it moves each year. Most people don't remember this but Christ was crucified on a different day each year. And thank god that the bunny raised him from the dead each time otherwise we'd be eating chocolate beavers.

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 03:36 PM

The festival that was renamed "Christmas" pre-existed Christianity, and taking it over was a deliberate ploy to undermine the previous culture which had celebrated it as a major mid-winter festival.

To the extent that nowadays the only name we have for it is the one the Christians came up with. Though as I said, Easter is a bigger Christian festival and they didn't change the name of that. Probably because whatever was being celebrated before they came along didn't seem to provide much of a threat.
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 04:32 PM

First Sunday after the first full moon in Spring. Makes sense to me.
Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 07:25 PM

Deadserious - that is so funny. Last year my 5 year old granddaughter was a little bit confused and told me that the easter bunny raised baby Jesus from the dead and that he lives now in her easter basket (the one she made from an old bleach bottle and cotten balls glued on)
Sonds like you went to the same Catholic Preschool on Caye Caulker.
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Date of Easter - 03/20/08 07:44 PM

History is correctly stated -- interpretation is highly slanted

deadserious -- very very funny
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board