Posted By: Laguna Punta When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 09:42 PM
like a big pizza pie, thats no mas.
Posted By: Bobber Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 09:51 PM
You aren't talking about this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,340009,00.html

Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 09:53 PM
Thanks for posting the story, Bobber.
Posted By: Bobber Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 10:06 PM
I've seen a number of Spotted Eagle Rays, even close up, and never noticed whether they actually have a spine (sting). I know they have a loooong tail. Can any of you clarify this for me?
Posted By: swanno Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 10:43 PM
Yes Spotted Eagle Rays do have stingers on their tails. I believe Manta Rays are the only rays without Stingers
Posted By: JZB Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 10:47 PM
My Reef fish book says they have 1 to 5 venemous spines. They must be small because they are not very noticable.

Ironically, just last week something similar happened to my husband. Fortunately, the spotted ray hit the bar that holds the top up (and not my husband) then fell back into the water. Nothing exciting ever happens when I'm in the boat! But that might be a good thing.
Posted By: elbert Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/20/08 11:35 PM
The spines are at the base of the tail where it connects to the body. The spines look like Freddy Kruger's fingernails only meaner.
Even thought they are lighting fast with the stinging movement and its fatal they are a slow moving peaceful creatures.
Ramon Nunez lived through a sting in the leg. he has a great story about it.
Posted By: Phil Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/21/08 01:04 AM
One of the Leslie boys got hit by an airborn Eagle Ray while Windsurfing a few years ago - it left one of its barbs in his life jacket.
Posted By: azbob Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/21/08 03:47 PM
I heard a followup report this morning and the Ray did not sting her. She died from trauma to her head when the ray knocked her down. This could have happened with large fish being caught.
Posted By: Bobber Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/21/08 04:03 PM
Bill, what did this thread start out to be? Sorry for the hijack. smile
Posted By: Spyder Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/21/08 04:07 PM
My first trip to S.P. in May of 1989 I was walking on the beach by Fido's when a water taxi pulled in from Belize City. A man sitting in the front seat was had a Ray in his lap. It had struck him in the chest and he was in shock. He was air lifted to Belize City. I never did hear the ouycome.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/21/08 04:32 PM
Did he get a refund from the water taxi?? haha
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/22/08 11:38 PM
Ok...here is my stringray story. I was fishing years ago on the Bay St Louis Veterans Memorial Dock and caught a stingray. A local asked if he could have it...I said sure, just get it off my hook. Asked him what he wanted it for and he said he sells them to tourist restaurants in Biloxi where they use the wings as scallops. Moral of the story...given enough butter, stingrays taste as good as scallops.
Posted By: Canuck-Diver Re: When the Ray hits your eye... - 03/23/08 12:24 AM
That's what I call trying to get a head in life.... doh!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board