AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Tortured vacation planning

Posted By: Hon

Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 03:25 PM

Help me!

I am trying to plan an All Inclusive one week in the middle of May to anywhere Caribbean to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Belize is out of the question this time.

Where have you gone in Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Cuba, Bahamas etc. etc. that was decent/nice and would fit the bill?

This was supposed to be easy for the planner (me) but I'm totally overwhelmed, and yes tortured, by the conflicting information that is out there on review websites!

I thought I would ask here because y'all know what I like...San Pedro smile
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 03:46 PM

Maybe take a cruise. If you are looking for all inclusive, that is often the way to go. And you can hit all of those locations. Belize perhaps included.
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 03:46 PM

&nbsp Hon,
I'm allergic to all-inclusives, but my cronies tell me that Sandals on Jamaica is good.

&nbsp &nbsp Dan

&nbsp
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:27 PM

Not really an AI type myself, but recently returned from the Cozumel Palace. Aside from the fact there was access to the water, but no beach, I would give this place a 10 for service, food and beverages, and an opulent yet intimate feel. One of the nice things is that the guests were usually out and about and avoided just sitting around the pool drinking themselves stupid.
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:29 PM

Hon,
Try www.RoadsLessTaken.com
We have used Beau Nanni and had him arrange trips for us, everything has always been perfect. He does tend to handle upscale places that we cannot afford every year but he does handle inclusives and does a great job.
[email protected]
smile

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:33 PM

BOBBER??????????
COZUMEL??????????????
YUCH!!!!!!
Mexican South Beach!!!!
I know, someone bought it for you and you had to go....right? crazy

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:42 PM

Thanks all.

I've never done AI before so I don't know if I am allergic or not.

The mister gets motion sick on playground equipment so a cruise may not be the most appropriate vacation venue for him smile

Looking at Beau's website only succeeded in doing one thing - making me outrageously jealous of anyone who can afford one of his trips! I'm bookmarking it though smile

...still looking for ideas...
Posted By: colomojo

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:46 PM

Vacationstogo.com has an AI link on it. If you go on a cruise as Deadserious recommended and have never cruised before beware of how expensive the "extracurricular" activities ONBOARD cost. I was really surprised how much "extra" we paid. For instance a "bucket" (4) beers was $17.50 and a mixed drink was $6.95. A bottle of wine with dinner was anywhere from $30+. A large bottle of water was $5.95, to play bingo was $20-$30! I am not trying to discourage you and if money isn't an object then go for it. I am not a cheapo by any means, I just didn't realize how much they would charge for activities. Besides all that the cruise was great.

We have also stayed at many all inclusives but have found that we spend just as much renting a house or condo and venturing out to eat and drink.

I hope you find just what you are looking for and have a SUPER time - if not come to San Pedro - we'll be there the mid of May too.

Good Luck Hon!
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:52 PM

There are so many questions that only you have the answer to: Just the 2 of you, or additional family? Active or relaxing? Like or allergic to crowds? Do you want to be “entertained” or prefer to make your own?

I would never have imagined enjoying “cruising” but was pleasantly surprised, partly due to the range of services offered.

I was able to spend most of my sea days reading anti socially while Jane made new friends, and then argue with them later over cocktails! The food was always great and the option of Black Tie and Gown Formal Nights added a little romantic touch (I look hot in a Gown!) and on port days there are excisions and activities for all tastes.

Royal Caribbean has an itinery that visits most the places you mentioned (except Cuba) on a cruise that includes Belize, but wherever you choose, the vacation will be enjoyed more based on the company than the location.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 05:56 PM

we did this place once - it was pricey but private and romantic. i never saw water this color anywhere else - ever. it is a different kind of AI.

there isn't much to do there, but on that trip, we didn't want to do anything but be together. really nice rooms, good food, they leave you alone unless you need them. no regrets.

http://meridianclub.com/

i took this:

http://www.pbase.com/sweetjane/image/56761086/large

here's the TA reviews, for what that's worth.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...dian_Club-Pine_Cay_Turks_and_Caicos.html

oh, and no gown needed there. hell, no shoes needed, unless you want to get fancy.
Posted By: denverdan

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 06:05 PM

I too would recommend the Turks and Caicos Islands... beautiful!
Not even close to what Belize offers and why we so love it... but indeed beautiful.

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 06:06 PM

Sweetjane - that place looks delightful!

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 06:10 PM

Hon - may I add that I too am sensitive to motion and took dramamine with me but didn't have to use it. The boats stability systems are pretty remarkable. This may sound crazy but I slept SO good on the ship too.

Looks like SP is your best option yet though (wink)

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 06:26 PM

Rykat, ummm, yup. laugh

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 07:53 PM

I love the 'if money is no object' kind of comments smile Money is the total object. If it wasn't, we'd be coming to San Pedro again.

Unfortunately we can get a AI week at a 5 star resort in Cuba or Dominican Republic for the same cost as the flights to AC alone. frown
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:00 PM

Hon, careful about Cuba unless you've done your homework... I'm thinking about Dominican Republic. Really did not like Aruba at all.

Never done an AI but want to try it out someday!

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by travelqueen
Never done an AI but want to try it out someday!

Someone as cute as you should never have to resort to that TQ!

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:08 PM

Thanks pug but there is this one in Liberia, Costa Rica that really sounds appealing!!! I'll report back if/when I do.
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:09 PM

Pug, she's obviously not a farm girl!! laugh

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:10 PM

TQ, can't Canadians go to Cuba? I was under the impression they did not have the same restrictions we do.

The Dominican is nice. We spent a week in Puerto Plata a few years back. It was nice, but the nice beaches were few and far between. Punta Cana is supposed to have some really nice beaches pretty much everywhere (at least along the coast. laugh )

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:13 PM

Ah, Bobber, did not realize that she was Canadian - my bad! I want to do both those places in DM! Staying away from Santa Domingo though.

Man, you guys need to be nice to me!!!

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:15 PM

We don't NEED to. Personally, I choose to, you are a very nice person. smile

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:16 PM

Well thank ya, Bobber. You are the only one who thinks so, apparently! :P

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:32 PM

Almost everyone I know who travels has been to Cuba and really liked it there.

My sister is the only person I know who has been to both San Pedro and Cuba, though, and she didn't like San Pedro so she simply can't be trusted wink

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:37 PM

Hon, ya, I hear only really great things about Cuba and would love to go so report back if you do! A few of my San Pedro friends have loved Cuba because of it's uniqueness. I didn't realize you are from Canada. We US citizens are not as lucky.

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 08:38 PM

Hon - where are you flying from?
Posted By: seashell

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 09:00 PM

Hon, I've been to Cuba. The beaches off Veradero are magnificent. However, I found the food to be well . . ick.

Have you checked any AI's on the Mayan Riviera, near Playa del Carmen and/or Tulum? I think you would quite enjoy that area.

Should be able to get a charter type package or last minute deal out of TO.

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 09:04 PM

something else? smile

http://www.skyauction.com/action/search?kwl=OCCSPCL

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 09:05 PM

By the way Hon, why AI?

Have you looked into West End, Roatan?

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 09:18 PM

One more thought

Capt Jeff's place (let them do the work and see what they have in the way of AI)We use Tami when we purchase there.

www.mycruisevalue.com

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by seashell
By the way Hon, why AI?

We took the whole family (8 of us) to San Pedro in January. We're broke grin

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 03/31/08 11:39 PM

Check this

http://www.redtag.ca/deals.php
Posted By: Nova

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/01/08 12:22 AM

Hey Hon-ee, come to Nova Scotia for your AI getaway...I'll include some great food and endless booze, and throw in some dusting, laundry, floor scrubbing, and window washing. You'll find it to be an all-inclusive like no other! laugh

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/01/08 06:17 AM

Hon, airfare might be a tad high to Roatan (or convoluted flight legs at that time of year) but I can point you to some super cheap acco, and places to eat, that will make you feel like the money fairy is putting cash back in your pocket every night while you sleep.

OK, OK, I know, even so it is unlikely that it will match a last minute deal on an AI with a charter flight, but you did say you wanted something in the flavor of San Pedro.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/01/08 12:40 PM

See if you can get an air only package to Cancun, then hop on a ferry and head to Isla Mujeres. It's not San Pedro, but has lots of similarities. Beach bars, golf carts, snorkeling, wonderful restaurants.

I bet you could stay there as cheaply as many all-inclusives, and eat and drink much better.

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/02/08 06:21 AM

Hon FYI I PM'd you earlier

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/02/08 01:26 PM

Thanks y'all. JeanH, I've looked at Isla before and really liked what I've seen. Think I'll go back there for a few hours today smile

Re: Tortured vacation planning - 04/02/08 04:15 PM

Hi Hon, resent the PM
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board