AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Earthquake in Illinois

Posted By: Scuba do

Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 01:16 PM

I didn't think I would ever start a thread like this but @ 4 :37 AM 4/18 our house was a'rockin,it was only a 5.2, but it woke us RIGHT UP.. Not unusual out in reaperland but in Illinois...WOW
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 01:28 PM

scuba - the local news here in Columbus is full of stories about calls to local law enforcement about the shaking this morning HERE IN OHIO. Must have been pretty cool there. (The Otters felt nothing)
Posted By: bobcat bill

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 01:32 PM

I live in Indiana & woke me up out of a deep sleep. Very eerie feeling
Posted By: cakelee

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 01:34 PM

Very weird! All of the closed doors in our house were rattling, and it woke the hubby and I up. We just sat in bed, asking each other - what just happened? All 3 kids slept right through it, though!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 02:10 PM

Scuba Do
A 5.2 is considered a good sized quake - even to us former Californians.
The best thing about an earthquake is that is it over by the time you get scared. That's why some of us prefer them over floods and tornados that keep you in fear way too long.
Posted By: Gela

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 06:22 PM

What's interesting about this is that today, it has been exactly 102 years since the San Francisco 1906 Earthquake.

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 06:28 PM

Aftershock at 10 23 AM...headin to the golf course..it is safe there and this might help my putting
Posted By: divingcowgirl

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 06:32 PM

Otter, that's what she said! wink JK....
Posted By: deadserious

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gela
What's interesting about this is that today, it has been exactly 102 days since the San Francisco 1906 Earthquake.

hmmm... the date on my computer must be off.
Posted By: Bill Mc Ghee

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 07:03 PM

Thats Ok Gela. I knew what you ment.. smile
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 07:25 PM

WOW! 5.2 is a pretty good shake, especially when they don't happen all the time like they do here in CA. Nothing like a little excitement in the middle of the night! laugh
Posted By: RathaBnBelize

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/18/08 07:39 PM

...excitement in the middle of the night is always a good thing...
Posted By: lakegirl

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/19/08 02:49 AM

We even felt it in Michigan, woke us up too!!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/19/08 03:29 AM

Scuba Do
Did you ask Jo if the earth moved for her?

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/19/08 03:35 AM

You just couldn't resist....yes, she is still feeling aftershocks
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/19/08 04:36 AM

My son lives in Jackson MO and he woke up with the pictures on the wall rattling. He thought it was hailing.
Posted By: knowell

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/19/08 07:23 PM

I was in Chicago and it woke me up. Having been stationed in CA for a few years I knew it felt like an earthquake but then thought not in Chicago. Come to find out there are 2 faults around that area just not much activity according to the news. Also according to the news they say it travels farther up there because there are no mountain ranges to contain it like in CA.
Posted By: Harvey

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/20/08 12:07 AM

Being an expat from California, I can attest to the shakers causing some consternation at the wee hours of the morning or at any other time of the day. Once, while working in Sacramento, we had a 6.5 and it caused my Supervisors chair to scoot across the floor about 50 feet! Another time, the lighting fixture above the dining room table swung so hard it hit the ceiling! But, those were gentle shakers and not as severs as some you've read about. That part of the country is almost immune to them so I am vastly surprised.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/20/08 01:31 AM

SE England is geologically as stable as anywhere, yet we still get the occasional earthquake. Nothing severe, but it shows the earth's mantle is unpredictable.
Posted By: SeeShell

Re: Earthquake in Illinois - 04/20/08 06:24 AM

This is the 2nd earthquake I missed - this one I was in BELIZE and heard about it on CNN and the first was in the BVI I was on a boat in the ocean and did not know anything was going on. I guess I would much rather be in AC than IL for the earthquake - maybe I will catch the next one! Great trip by the way - kinda weird april weather - but now I am sitting at home waiting for the next big IL quake - wishing I was back - eating at the reef and rico's
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board