AmbergrisCaye.com Home

My Humble Opinion

Posted By: pugwash

My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 02:12 AM

I have been somewhat surprised at the animosity shown towards those of us who care to discuss non Belizean subjects, so I'll try to offer a perspective, which while unique to me will I'm sure be relevant to some other board members in some way.

I visited San Pedro 6 times in the last 12 months: I have a business there, a home under construction and would estimate that I would be extremely unlikely to walk around San Pedro for more than 10 minutes without seeing someone I knew, a very different situation from where I now live, having moved to Plano (north Dallas, 6,500,000 people) to be close, travel wise, to La Ilsa Bonita: for 4 years prior, I was in Moab, Utah a town of 5000, and before that in a little ski town called Red Lodge, Montana, population 2179, for 6 years.

Over the past year, I have formed many and varying relationships via this board: my trips down have been influenced by who would also be there, and my love for the island and the future of Ambergris Caye is an integral part of my life and also both my financial and emotional well being. My partner there is Belizean of Indian decent, and I'm happy to have friends of many ethnic backgrounds on the island. I try to evaluate people based on substance, not appearance

If I chose to debate an issue with fellow board members, I am at a loss to understand how this in any way detracts from the enjoyment of another viewer? Is there a finite limit on the number of characters that can be displayed? Is there a compulsion by some to read every post? There are many areas of the board that I rarely visit, but for some who may enjoy those areas, I feel no animus: perhaps a “Non Belizean” section in the chat forum would be an idea?

Both Mini Chat and Big are utilized far more by those of us outside the country as a means of keeping in touch with each other and as a way of feeling involved until such time as we are able to return, and discussing any and all subjects, including the election of the leader of the free world seems to be reasonable?

When I do return to San Pedro, I'll look forward to rehashing the same discussions with Reaper, although we agree on almost nothing (except perhaps that he does have a hot wife) to reconfirming that Otter is one of the good guys, and that there is some intelligent life along the banks of the Missouri, if you are prepared to look really hard while simultaneously drinking a lot. There may even still be an attorney in California who likes me, although it seems to be down to just one, and thats 'cause her neighbor has a Pug!

Perhaps when I'm down there for more extended periods, I will find other subjects to debate: the price of tortillas thanks to ethanol, the quality and bias of local media or the monopoly of Bowen and Bowen...the thing is, if I annoy you now, I'll probably still annoy you then, just on a different subject: until such time, lets keep debate civil, and remember we always have the option not to read, be it a post or an on line paper....only Tacogirls Blog is mandatory!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 02:43 AM

Feel better now?
Aye Aye Cap'n Jack Pugwash
Posted By: H20dog

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 02:50 AM

Pugwash,

I travel to AC a lot (more than 12 times)
I'm a registered democrat
I like rum
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 02:53 AM

Well stated, and based on the results of Amanda's poll, apparently agreed with by about half the board.

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. This board seems an appropriate place to experience both.

Posted By: azbob

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:00 AM

Pug, you are one unique person with the ability express yourself as few can. It is obvious how much you love AC, as I and so many do. May you, please, always express your views on this Board. It makes us all think and ponder. So very few have that ability. Some day we must share a Belikin’s or the drink of your choice, on me.
Respectful request,
Bob Boyett
Posted By: Chloe

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:01 AM

Two thumbs up!! smile
Posted By: NYgal

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:04 AM

smile Hey Pug!

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:29 AM

Pugwash

P.S. I smoke cigars
I don't talk US politics EVER in AC.

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:32 AM

H2Odog, any chance we could interest you in a nice, uncivilized conversation about sex or religion? laugh

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:37 AM

Leah-Ann, I think H2O is to young for you, but his profile doesn't reveil that. Religion, Sex: that's not a tough choice!
Posted By: NYgal

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:38 AM

smile
Posted By: Bernie&Gordy

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 03:50 AM

I'm with the water guy on this one.
Save it for your manifesto.
Nice that you have 4 friends though
Good luck with that.

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:10 AM

I'm not gay
I don't believe in organized religion

I like rum
Posted By: Bernie&Gordy

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:18 AM

Agreed...except for the rum part. I'm a beer and wine gal myself.
Oh, and while I do have a dog, she does not have a homepage.
To each his/her own, I guess.

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:56 AM

Friendship has no age limit, azbob - don't you associate with people outside your age group? :P I've learned a great deal from those both younger and older wink

Careful there with the misread/misquote - the offer wasn't a choice between religion or sex, it was a choice between a conversation about religion or a conversation about sex. I do believe H20dog very politely declined both! laugh
Posted By: captjeff

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:25 PM

PUG,I GOT YOUR BACK ..YOU SAY IT LIKE IT IS ,GO FOR IT ..LIFE IS TO SHORT. LIVE YOUR DREAM ..
Posted By: bywarren

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:39 PM

We can talk about religeon and sex. I had a friend who considerd the priesthood. But then he decided the boys in the neighborhood weren't all that cute.
Posted By: elbert

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 04:56 PM

Just checked in...great thread. I miss a lot not getting down here in chat more often.
Talk about any and every thing you want in any language to whom ever, feel free.
to many rules is a bummer
be happy.
go pug
IMHO
Posted By: Rykat

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 05:01 PM

Elbert's opinion is always respected! wink

(I think)?

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 07:18 PM

LA, just kidding you two and yes I have friends from 35-70 years old. My best friend is 5 years younger than me and he never lets me forget it (old as dirt, Moses’ brother, etc). Feelings can span the years between two people, whether in friendship or love.

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/14/08 09:05 PM

Bywarren, you have one of the most warped perspectives I've ever encountered - and I mean that in the friendliest way - you crack me up!

Elbert - way to go! laugh

az, I figured as much! wink
Posted By: Otteralum

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/15/08 02:59 AM

wink
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/16/08 07:37 PM

Pug, you have made a bold and rational statement in defense of free expression and tolerance. Almost progressive!! What in the world's come over you??? shocked Just kidding . . I'm with you on this . . . as long as we are talking dialog, not diatribe!
Posted By: deadserious

Re: My Humble Opinion - 06/16/08 08:11 PM

Progressives are neither for free expression nor tolerance unfortunately.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board