AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Pregnancy Speech at SPHS

Posted By: Caye Connect

Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 01:21 AM

http://sanpedrosun.net/08-253.html

Guest speaker for the evening was Mr. Angel Nuñez who was the principal of SPHS for 32 years, and in his speech, aimed at "arousing the curiosity" of all present, with his take on "pregnancy". He encouraged all present to use the "cycle method" in place of condoms and pills, negating their effectiveness, stating that there is only one day of the month in which a woman can get pregnant. Parents were also asked to encourage their children not to date seriously, and to only allow casual dating.

Ummm, what about STDs?
Posted By: Luvinlife

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 01:38 AM

This is a joke right?
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 01:40 AM

It better be
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 01:42 AM

Interesting, comments most likely attributable to the influence of the Catholic Church. Of course, biologically incorrect. Was there no mention of abstinence?
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 02:08 AM

I have never got pregnant so he must be right
Posted By: Short

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 03:24 AM

High Five!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 10:39 AM

you have to actually have sex to get pregnant, peter. wink (i owed you that).

LA is prob right, it must be a cathololic thing, or otherwise makes no sense at all, in today's world.

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sweetjane
you have to actually have sex to get pregnant, peter. wink (i owed you that).
with someone other than oneself (I don't owe you but thought you should know whistle )
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 11:32 AM

You must remember Pedro just celebrated another one of his birthdays. His age is trying to catch up with his looks and his actions are trying to catch up with his age. Also at his age now, you never want to waste an erection, even if you are alone. grin

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 12:01 PM

( i think i hear 'dueling banjos' playing somewhere...)
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 12:17 PM

Also before he wakes up and makes some snide comment about me being a wanker, he should know that in all of last year when the glorious occasion arose I was never alone – both times.

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 01:04 PM

Gives a whole new meaning to "Know thyself." I suppose later on, you can pretend you've never met. laugh
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/21/08 08:44 PM

I attended San Pedro High School and I can promise you that Angel Nunez is probably being quoted verbatim.

If any of you have read the 25 years ago series it will allow you more insight into the thoughts and affirmations that constitute Maestro Angel.

Like it or not this man has influenced many generations of San Pedranos. Whether you were adored and special in his eyes, or you were despised and barely tolerated by this principal, I can guarantee you that he greatly impacted each and every student over those 32 years.
Posted By: RathaBnBelize

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/22/08 01:07 AM

Which category did you belong to? wink

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/22/08 01:11 AM

amanda, i don't think anyone meant any disrespect to the man.

just, IMO, the thinking is a bit outdated in regards to the kids' health & safety.
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/22/08 08:20 AM

I do not think it is being disrespectful to be alarmed by advice being given to youths in regards to the use of condoms versus the "rhythm method", or "cycling". I do not know the man, and I mean him no disrespect either, but I am godmother to 3 children born because there were 31 days in the month and someone couldn't count. Can two teens who cannot stop long enough to glove up be expected to stop and calculate the right day to "do it"?
Celibacy combined with a good moral upbringing is a comforting thought to a parent, but instead of telling them how to do it wrongly, tell them how to protect themselves and give them the power to say....."only with a condom". And tell them the reasons why they MUST use one.

I am not trying to be arguementative, but facts are facts:

AIDS KILLS

Posted By: azbob

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/23/08 12:47 AM

lil'red, very well said!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/23/08 01:01 AM

I sent my daughter to a Roman Catholic all girls school in Belize City. And they preached abstinence. And if the girls simply couldn't stick to that rule, they were taught about condoms, AIDS, teen pregnacy etc. Also the school allows the girls to return if they have had child. The biggest point the school drove home was that a young woman MUST have an education in order to take care of herself and even more so if she had a child too.

I am horrified that San Pedro High School students do not receive full sex education classes. And the high number of student pregancies each year at San Pedro High are absolutely staggering.

I am considering sending another daughter to San Pedro High in a few years, and I hope that some of the policies will have changed by then.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/23/08 03:33 AM

Your daughter has the great advantage of a mom who knows the score and is willing to explain it to her. Most kids don't have that advantage. Sad...
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Pregnancy Speech at SPHS - 06/23/08 03:45 AM

Actively involved parents and teachers who talk to kids about choices, options and consequences . . now there's a birth control approach with a chance for success!! Adolescent hormones will never be denied, but at least they can be defused, if kids are treated like the adults they think they are.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board