AmbergrisCaye.com Home

British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions"

Posted By: skippy

British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/19/08 04:23 AM

I thought this was quite interesting.
Might explain some American anti-Americanism as well
Posted By: Bobber

Re: British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/19/08 01:12 PM

I believe I saw a poll not too long ago stating that a high percentage of Brits thought that Churchill was a fictional character.
Posted By: Rykat

Re: British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/19/08 03:55 PM

Thanks, skippy, very interesting!
Posted By: terrielinn

Re: British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/20/08 01:44 AM

Amazing how facts can be skewed, isn't it? Propaganda/spin has a nasty habit of burying facts with a preference for an expectant outcome. It will be interesting to see what happens when fact can stand on it's own (like that could ever happen)as far as the perception of others.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/20/08 04:11 PM

Its not really surprising is it?

The majority of people in both Britain and the USA get their information from mainstream media, and process it with skills learned (?) in public schools!

We should remember that in the US, knowing which 2 countries border the lower 48 states was a daunting task for many high school kids, so why would we expect more as they age?

It should also be noted that travel really does seem to broaden ones knowledge base, and that this board is a prime example: although many here have strange opinions sometimes, at least they have formed them based on some actual thought process of their own*

* or the cut and pasted someone elses smile

Posted By: terrielinn

Re: British anti-Americanism "based on misconceptions" - 08/21/08 01:43 AM

I don't want to take offense as I'd much rather take a fence (white painted picket around 1+ acres with a 4-5 Bed 3 bath home); however, I am on the school board of a public school district and am quite proud of the quality of student that graduates from here. I am just going to say, get the federal gov't out of local control and public schools will have a much better turnout throughout the country. Of course that is my own opinion*.

and no, pug I would agree that it is not really surprising and travel does broaden one's knowledge base.

*Sorry, too lazy to find someone else's opinion to cut and paste. So, it's a bit strange of my own accord.

BTW, have I told you lately that I enjoy many of your posts as they make me actually have to think.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board