AmbergrisCaye.com Home

"Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams

Posted By: boastcameraman

"Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:59 AM

Isn't "Pre Construction Financing" just another term for a developer that doesn't have the money? The scam is to to take money from investors and, after enough investors are gathered 1) build what they say they're going to build (unlikely), or 2) run off with the money. Most investors do due diligence and wouldn't be so foolish to drop $50,000 down in their own country--why would they do it in a country that doesn't have any regulatory body over their real estate agents? There are SO MANY "Pre Construction Financing" scams in San Pedro. One they're selling land that they don't even own, and is a part of the natural reserve that will destroy the local eco system. Look for proof in the scams and see how many developments have been "in process" for YEARS and they're still far from completed. They're destroying the beauty of the area and, after they've sold the integrity out of the place as has happenend in Cancun, they'll run back to the U.S. or Canada--with your money. Does anyone else on the ground agree, and isn't there anything that can be done to put an end to charlatan real estate developer/agent scammers?
Posted By: terrielinn

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 12:34 PM

Are you involved at all politically?

Advocate for your position. Advocate for those that feel the same way you do. Make your voice heard. Organize people to do the same.

Go to the meetings that are scheduled by the BTB, SPBA, political entities, as well as others that may have any bearing on your topics of interest. Have your facts together. Speak up during public comment sessions. Go to board meetings - if only to be seen - it will make it known that someone is watching.

The only voice heard is the voice that speaks to the people that make the rules. Rumblings and grumblings won't make a difference unless they are done in an organized manner with the "people that matter" listening. In other words: GO TO THE MEETINGS.

I say these things as a person that has to deal with people that rumble and grumble, but won't speak up when it counts. I am on the school board and always hear everything third party, gossip style. I want and need facts to direct my decisions not hearsay and opinion.

Good luck!

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 01:40 PM

To answer, no, I am no involved politically here. However, there is a large expatriate community that is but, like it or not, they're not in control. Permits are granted by those in power who are eager to take money into their pocket and sell out their own community. Think of the politicians last election who were giving away property for votes, or paying for travel to get people to vote in their districts. Another evidence, the dredging that was done in front of Belize Yacht Club. Works begun, destruction caused for months, and then it was revealed they had no permits and was shut down. How did they get to operate in the first place. Another example, Sands Villas dumping rubbish for many months as fill which was not only unsightly, but will be a detriment to anyone that buys there as the area settles. People are getting away with what they are allowed to get away with, and it's also at the hands of people paid to turn their backs. I think it's called corruption where I come from.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 02:25 PM

So my next series of questions: How do you suppose this issue should be addressed and corrected? What is your proposed course of action? Is sitting back, chattering amongst yourselves helping?

Corruption as you put it is not indigenous to your area. It can be found anywhere there is power and power brokers. Power can beget corruption. That is not to say that all "power" is corrupt.

How we combat it is what makes the difference.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 02:34 PM

Were you aware of the effects to the environment on the dreding in front of Belize Yacht Club? What did you personally do about it? Were you aware of Sands Villas as well as the local community using the area in front of the construction as a dump site? As this went on for months, what did you personally do about it? Were you aware of the land for votes scheme employed in the last election, and what did you personally do about it? Nothing. As a community, we can't even get Saga Humane Society to efficiently address the concerns of the dogs and cats on the island--and you think we're going to stand up to million dollar investors? Do you personally think the Reef Village, South Beach, and Islands of San Pedro developments are a good thing, and what are you doing about it?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 02:55 PM

You opened yourself up on that one. You are here in Belize and terrielin is just a visitor, what are you doing about it? There's no problem with venting here but it doesn't accomplish much. Call into the Morning Show with your concerns, that's where your voice will be more effective.

"we can't even get Saga Humane Society to efficiently address the concerns of the dogs and cats on the island." I assume that you've done everything that you can to help them with the issue? Things like donating land and food to house and feed the strays they pick up, assisting in spay/neuter programs, helping with vacination drives, fundraising, etc..

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:06 PM

The island is eager to have Saga run efficiently, and of course in your position on the board you'll want to defend it. The fact is that Saga is riddled with infighting. The very fact that this is the only thing YOU pick on is because it relates TO YOU. My complaint about all this development is that it's too big for anyone of us to get on the Morning Show because we're being sold out. The mentality is that if I get $1000 to sell out my neighbor, I'll do it.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:08 PM

Actually I have nothing to do with Saga at this time. Just making an example of someone complaining about something but not willing to do anything to help the problem.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:10 PM

you state "the fact is" however I don't have anything to find this statement to be based in actuality. What makes it a "fact"? Where is the proof of your statement? I am not on the board of anything in SP or on AC or even in BZ, just an interested observer who just happens to be on a board where I live in the US.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:16 PM

My dog is spayed. I keep my dog on a leash. My dog is current on all shots. My charitable contributions can go elsewhere as the community, in general, does not ensure their animals are leashed, immunized, or unable to procreate freely. Does the current state of saga have anything to do with your tenure? Just a question. Maybe not a fact, but a general perception...and that's all a reputation is based on, perception.
Posted By: Nova

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:20 PM

boast, may I suggest that you conduct your attack via PM rather than on this public forum - my feeling is you are treading on thin ice.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:24 PM

I agree with Nova: people who sign up one day and then take over a thread the next can become a little annoying smile

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:29 PM

"Does the current state of saga have anything to do with your tenure?" The fact that I haven't been on the board for over 2 years would probably indicate no. I would also venture to say that your comments regarding Saga are based on rumour rather than fact.

I'm a bit confused, you complain about the community and their animals but you expect someone else to fix the problem for you? Maybe you are under the impression that your tax dollars go to Saga and it is a service provided to the community by the government.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:30 PM

this may be my final post on this subject.

A change in perception can happen once a person finds out what laws, customs, policies and regulations control any entity. Many of the laws, customs and regulations come from a "higher governing power" which in turn ties the hands of the lower entity. Once a person is privy to such information, many preconceived notions go right out the window. Check it out... see if this happens for you.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 03:42 PM

Aha, finally, someone who is like minded and wants to make a difference. Boastcameraman please PM me. I have a million projects in the fire and could use all of the obvious help and energy you have to offer. You must have time on your hands considering the composition of your recent posts.

Don't be a complainer - stand up and be counted. Few are willing to get their hands dirty and find it easy to criticize while hiding behind screen names - but there is a small number of folks on this island that are apolitical and simply love their home enough to strive to work against the scourge that impede us.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 04:40 PM

So, then, you all agree that the unchecked construction projects are good on the long term? Don't attack me! You seem to be taking more interest in concerns over Saga than the picture--that it's out of control and you long term expats here haven't been able to do anything about it thus far.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 04:54 PM

So why don't you lead the action for change.

All developed nations have such a great handle on curbing development, I suppose we could adopt their methods. Oh, but wait a minute, the developed countries don't have a handle on this either.

Is there nowhere on the planet that is perfect???

I heard that Grand Cayman is probably your best bet if you would like to live in a civilized nation with a handle on progress. Of course you won't be welcomed the same as you are in Belize. It won't be as easy to establish your residency or obtain a work permit. It won't be as affordable to live there. They don't have such a diverse cultural population, or a majestic rain forest, or mountains - their diving isn't as spectacular.... But it will be as close to perfect as you will probably ever find.

Good luck and God bless.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:04 PM

Boast--
I see you just registered under this name yesterday. I have to wonder who you really are and what your real objective is. I think you took a broad stroke about construction; where there may be a small problem.
Can you list the developments that have been scams?
Methinks you sound an awful lot like one of our regulars who just like to stir the pot to see what floats to the top.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:13 PM

What difference does it make when I registered? Stick to the issue: Reef Village, Islands of San Pedro, South Beach--a good thing or not? Am I the ONLY one that sees these as not to the long term betterment? I'm not talking about restricting all development as I know one of the respondents is a real estate agent. But doesn't it bother you what is being done here, and by people that don't have the long term vision as you might?

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:14 PM

She said: "I have a million projects in the fire..."

You said it.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:15 PM

Member #: 133
Title: .
Total Posts: 2275

You were saying?
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 05:54 PM

how about basil jones?
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 07:07 PM

Wasn't Basil Jones 10 years ago?
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/02/08 07:14 PM

i want to say more like 5 yrs ago - i had a friend that got caught up in it. you asked for bad examples...that was the only one i knew for a fact. sry if i was off base or anything.

Re: "Pre-Construction Financing" and other scams - 09/04/08 11:46 PM

I see that boast thinks that I have something to do with South Beach. Which I don't. I have never viewed or shown or sold a property at South Beach, or Reef Village. I have been to Reef Village once, to take a look at the pool. That is the absolute extent of my relationship with those projects.

What is Islands of San Pedro?

I do have a million irons in the fire - but none of these even include thoughts of South Beach.

There are a lot of community projects being worked on behind the scenes although all will come to light in due course.

I spend an inordinate amount of my time and energy trying to assist in community projects.

For those of you that actually do care enough to make a difference please join any one of the groups that are working diligently to achieve many goals to improve the quality of life on this island. Unfortunately the skills we are looking for do not include "internet troll."

© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board