AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Lessons Learned at the Dog Park

Posted By: pugwash

Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 07:33 PM

I take Bruce to the dog park most days. Its about the happiest place I ever visit, with so much unconditional love and play going on that at times I can forget all the other crap that life hands out, but today even this oasis was defiled!

Entering and leaving the park is a supposedly simple process: To enter, one dog/owner combination at a time enters through gate #1 with the dog on leash, and once inside the secure area, the leash is removed and the dog enters through gate #2 into the park. To leave, the process is reversed.

Anyone in a state of total confusion over this concept? Anyone shaking at the thought of complying with a fairly simple set of rules?

This morning I saw both gates open at once and dogs escaping while 2 women chatted, oblivious to all around them, I saw dogs enter the park still on leash and get into it with other dogs as they feel threatened when they cannot maneuver as other dogs greet them, and I saw owners chat away on cell phone while their dogs crapped everywhere without the slightest thought of cleaning up after them.

My presentation of an enormous turd from a Great Dane to its owners feet brought about overt hostility from it parents, possibly for disturbing their phone conversations, but also applause from other owners!

If you take your dog to the park, be responsible for it: Bikes and walkers use the trail, so be aware of them and put the phone down just for a while?

Bruce knows he has to sit when approaching a gate, not to go through it until he is told to, and that if he does not obey, he does not get to go to the park! It took not entering a couple of times for him to get the message, but now it his routine: when I throw his ball, it doesn't get thrown again until its returned to the bench I'm sitting on, and placed beside me, and when I pullout a plastic bag and ask him to be a “Good Dog” he takes a dump.... not rocket science, just discipline

Its sad to see that while my dog is more responsible for his own actions than half of our country seems to be, and his quality of life is a consequence of those actions, other owners are often mystified about the concept, and tell me how “lucky” I am to have found such a smart dog......Duh!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 07:46 PM

Bruce has done a fine job of training you to do exactly what he wants.

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 07:49 PM

You've been wrong about almost everything else, so I shouldn't expect anything different this time! smile

I had a “boss” once, before I bought the company and fired him, who would insist on spitting tobacco juice all over the area where customers entered the Dealership

At Christmas, I gave him a plaque which said:

“The standards you set are by definition the standards you are prepared to accept”

He looked confused, but thanked me anyway smile

Its true for so many aspects of life

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 07:51 PM

It was meant to be humour! Geez...

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 08:24 PM

So was my reply: I've added a smiley face so now you will be able to tell ?

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 08:53 PM

Seems more snarky than funny...
Posted By: H20dog

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/12/08 09:37 PM

Pug isn't a jerk! wink
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 03:17 AM

hey jesse, lots of times it's all in how you decide to take it! wink
I agree on the training part; took Mr. Lunch to the dog park today and realized he has me trained perfectly. While, unlike Bruce, Lunch does not poop on command, he does have me perfectly trained to follow him around and pick it up whenever the mood does finally strike him! laugh Never been much of a question at our house about who's the boss!

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 03:30 AM

i guess Pug has an image problem with his doggie...

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 03:35 AM

I'd love to have pictures of Pug picking up after this dog grin
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 04:14 AM

Tell me dog lovers when you pick up the turds is it more fun when it is still warm...or cooled off? Inquiring minds want to know!

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 04:32 AM

Ask Pug, he obviously is the expert at picking up dog excrement!

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 07:17 AM

ry, I'm not at all surprised to read that's what you want to know about. I always figured your head was full of *%#! laugh
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 02:09 PM

i had a cat once that i could make crap by pointing the T.V. remote at him and pressing 'MENU'.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 02:37 PM

Whats the rest of the story Barn, that sounds like the punch line is left out.

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 08:28 PM

All good conversations - dinner table or not - always end up in either sex or sh**! crazy

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 08:29 PM

ry, next time I'm in Jersey I'm coming to your house for dinner! laugh
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 08:32 PM

Now she's threatening you, Ry!! eek

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/13/08 08:36 PM

ry, listen to KC - I've been to his house for dinner! laugh

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 03:58 PM

Uh Oh! and I'm in the book too! cry

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 04:00 PM

well, ry - guess it's one of those good news/bad news kinda things! wink
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 04:26 PM

I've met Bruce and he is a very nice dog. I am glad to know he takes Pug on a walk every now a then. Pug needs to get his fresh air too. Makes him spunky and we know how LA likes Pug to be spunky!
Hey Pug - What's Ms. Pug fixing for dinner, I'll be in town next week, let's have a drink. Texas beers?
I'll fill you in on the trip and dives.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 05:23 PM

2aggies, hey, you owe us a trip report. Look at the fine print when you signed up for the "board". wink
I bet you had all kinds of fun!!!!

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 05:30 PM

Bob - I actually was editing that this a.m. It is quite long since Sandy was writing it as we were there. Will I be able to post it all or do I need to break it up. Also, want to get some pic out where everyone can see them, but need some help. Where should I post the pics? I can then put a link in the trip report.

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 06:14 PM

2aggies - honestly, what makes you think I like pug at all? wink

You can post your pics on a number of sites, PhotoBucket, DropShots, photo.com, picturetrail, imageshack, etc. Then just put a link in the trip report - and we want the UNedited version! laugh

Re: Lessons Learned at the Dog Park - 10/14/08 07:07 PM

LA - I have learned to read between the lines since watching this board for several months. LOL. Apparently it is a talent many posters have aquired. (or at least in their minds they can)

Thanks I'll give the photo upload a try. Trust me unedited is all you'll get with me.

We love Belize BTW and have already started looking at setting dates for Spring. We may actually leave AC and see a ruin next trip. Just couldn't break away from the water this time.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board