don't trust anyone over 30!!
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by papashine
don't trust anyone over 30!!

Who is this? Really?
Posted By: pugwash

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 06:00 PM

This was from July 1969, when the opened for the Stones, and was also 4 weeks after Blind Faith (Clapton, Winwood, Baker and Gretch) made their debut on June 7th.

Rick Gretch was the bassist in Family, a local group from my hometown, and the first band I ever loaded gear into a transit van for!

Yes I was at both concert, and may have been lucid somewhere around June 20th for a few days!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 06:47 PM

King Crimson, including Robert Fripp and Greg Lake (later of Emerson Lake & Palmer), from the album In the Court of the Crimson King.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 06:49 PM

I think I might have gone out with that guy once... crazy
Posted By: elbert

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 07:08 PM

'I hope i die before I get old'....jimminy I really said that! :-0
I put a fresh batt. in my hearing aid so i could hear this better.

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 08:20 PM

Don't forget Bill Brufford, later with broth Genesis and Yes, and Tony Levin, Peter Gabriel's long time bass player

Lots of cross overs in the 70 London scene...it really was a great time and place
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 08:28 PM

or Ian McDonald, later a founding member of Journey.

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 08:39 PM

Or Boz Burrell from Bad Company, or John Whetton from Asia.

The list goes on and so do the stories.....

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 08:41 PM

Where are the Steely Dan fans? cry

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 09:33 PM

For all the Genesis fans out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjjJnTASSfU&feature=related

At 4.38 seconds, for some reason wearing a Bow tie with my white T-Shirt, Pugs TV debut, changing Steve's guitar!
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 09:34 PM

Katy Lied

Re: remember this one? - 10/15/08 10:56 PM

all the way through the album, with more passion than most wink
Posted By: elbert

Re: remember this one? - 11/11/08 09:03 PM

how could I not remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfoccRna6I
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 01:19 AM

oh, LA - say it isnt so!! i am a HUGE steely dan fan - katy lied, pretzel logic, royal scam....great stuff!

that said, i had court of the crimson king in high school too, but not in 1969...i was only 6 then!! LOL!
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 02:33 AM

sweetjane,
not much of an easy listening type myself. Nobody I knew listened to Donovan or the Moody Blues or any of that stuff. When Steely Dan got big we all wondered what happened to rock music, who let this jazz onto the FM station?

We'd pile into my '65 Dodge Dart and head down to Frisco, which the locals always called "The City", to see a show at Bill Graham's Winterland Ballroom and drive home at the break of dawn. At Winterland, no band ever packed up their equipment until the crowd quit yelling for encores. During encores, big name artists would wander on stage to jam with the headline acts, telling the crowd "we were just out late and thought we'd see who was playing tonight".

I went to LA, where my mom lives, for Easter and saw California Jam at the Ontario Motor Speedway. It was the first time I spent $10 for a ticket. I was always a sucker for Country Rock, and a new band called the Eagles was one of the opening acts. I think that the days of seeing the Eagles for $10 will forever be in the rearview mirror.

[Linked Image]

As the years have gone by I've broadened my perspective somewhat-I even own a copy of Steely Dan's Aja CD. I've got some old blues and Broadway scores. But right now Blind Faith is playing on iTunes. Rock, pure rock with an edge, is my first love.

Yessir, give me the power trio any day. It was a black day on my calendar when Grand Funk hired a keyboard player. Really, if you couldn't do it with guitars and a drum kit, what was the point? Horns? Well, I had friends in the marching band and they were big Chicago fans. The first album was okay, but in the '60s and '70s I didn't have much time for wind instruments.

I still hope I die before I get old. But as somebody once said "growing up leads to growing old, which leads to dying, and dying don't seem like very much fun". My plan is to grow up a split second before I breath my last breath, and I'll put off growing old until after that.

Dan

Posted By: catdance62

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 03:05 AM

Love Steely Dan!!
Early Chicago was great, but then the lead dude shot himself and it was all downhill after that.
Bad Company was always one of my faves too.

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 03:50 AM

ah, dan. easy listening? me? you clearly dont know me! wink

i'm just younger then u. b4 1990, i saw the who, the clash, the allman bros (molly hatchet opened), iggy pop, david bowie, the b-52's, steve miller, peter gabriel, hot tuna, and the dead at least dozen times.

you gain much respect from me with the mention of winterland. there was a time i thought grace slick was the coolest.

Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 06:48 AM

sweetjane,
in a truely sureal moment, I heard London Calling over the PA system at the grocery store the other day. My God, what has the world come to.

Dan

Originally Posted by sweetjane
ah, dan. easy listening? me? you clearly dont know me! wink

i'm just younger then u. b4 1990, i saw the who, the clash, the allman bros (molly hatchet opened), iggy pop, david bowie, the b-52's, steve miller, peter gabriel, hot tuna, and the dead at least dozen times.

you gain much respect from me with the mention of winterland. there was a time i thought grace slick was the coolest.

Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 02:36 PM

Dan - $10 Eagles. Oh man. Going Sat in Dallas. $85 for lower level. $45 upper level. $175 floor and premium.

We went for lower level.

As I age (slowly) I am trying to see all of the bands I have listened to for most of my life. Checking off the Eagles.

Loved Boston - Those guys blew it not getting their act together. Too bad for us and them.

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Carey
sweetjane,
in a truely sureal moment, I heard London Calling over the PA system at the grocery store the other day. My God, what has the world come to.

ha ha it should have been 'lost in the supermarket'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcM79U46z8&feature=related
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: remember this one? - 11/12/08 05:16 PM

Imagine that - The Clash as Muzak....
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board