AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Energy saver light bulbs

Posted By: tacogirl

Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 03:43 AM

Has anyone sourced out the cheapest place to buy Energy saver light bulbs?

Would like to eventually switch all ours over going bit by bit right now.

Posted By: Moby

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 04:32 AM

Just remember that these cool neon energy saving lightbulbs don't kill the bugs the way regular lightbulbs do.
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 06:11 AM

Nor do they attract them the same way.
Posted By: Moby

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 07:08 AM

I don't know, I see tiny little bugs crawling all over the ones I have.
Posted By: dogmatic prevaricator

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 01:09 PM

I changed over to totally CFLs about 6 months ago.. Haven't been to the tanning salon since.
Posted By: ragman

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 01:19 PM

tacogirl, Home Depot in the US has had them on sale for quite some time now. They where priced according to wattage but if I remember correctly it was about $5 for 4 - 13W = 60W bulbs. I have recessed flood lights in the kitchen and they did cost a little more. I just completed switching over most of the lights in our home. It is the right thing to do.

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:11 PM

Something to consider.

Most of the following information was cut and pasted from a website, which has been my general experience with CFLs. I'm down for saving energy, but as Capt. Jeff says, "is the juice worth the squeeze?"

Most CFL's contain about 5 mg of mercury. They are supposed to be disposed of as hazardous waste, but there is no program to take them. (Home Depot does have a collection point and the bags to discard the used CFLs.)

They need a careful cleanup procedure if you break one.

If you use them in an enclosed fixture, or base up in the ceiling, the electronics get hot, and its life is reduced. I couldn't find out by how much.

There are many manufacturers, and you can't tell how long a brand is going to last, or how it reacts to heat or on/off cycles. You need to trust, or you can always pay more for a higher quality CFL.

They are somewhat longer and wider than a regular bulb, so they don't fit everywhere.

Many CFL's, especially the $5 ones, have a slow start-up. It takes them 30 seconds to 3 minutes to fully light up. If you use them outdoors in the cold, some of them never fully light up, or they don't start at all.

You can't use the cheap CFL's with a dimmer, but there are some that will work.

CFL's are fluorescent. Some people get headaches from the light, or they see the 60 cycle flicker and can't read by them, or they hate the color of the light, or they hear a faint buzz.
CFL's get 20% dimmer as they age toward failure.

Some people never need to go to the tanning salon again after a complete change out of bulbs.

A house has many bulbs that are almost never used. It makes no sense to place $5 bulbs in those locations, rather than a $.50 bulb that will last for 5 years anyway.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:16 PM

thanks for the info. i didn't know where a collection ctr was.

Target also carries inexpensive multi-packs. yes, they take longer to come up, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

we changed out all our bulbs well over a year ago, and not one has burnt out yet.
Posted By: JRinSC

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:19 PM

I agree, Dogmatic. whistle In most cases I don't see the value. We use them in my wife's store and she is constantly changing them. Five year life, my rear!! mad

Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:23 PM

again, i haven't had one burn out yet. ???
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:28 PM

I've had several go out after just under a year. But they were all in enclosed fixtures, so based on what dog said that makes sense. The ones that take a while to come on completely really irritate me - but I'm an instant gratification kinda gal. wink

do they really put out UV?

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:33 PM

Dog, Good info. Some of which I knew but not all. The mercury is a problem and would especially so in SP I would imagine. At least our trash goes to a Trash to Energy Plant which have at least some environmental controls or to landfills which are sealed, if they end up in the normal trash.

I haven't had them in long enough to tell how long they will last. It takes a little getting used to when the room isn't bright right away. I really only installed them in lights that are used frequently. Electricians have informed me not to use them with a dimmer. You are spot on.

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:51 PM

"CFL's are fluorescent. Some people get headaches from the light, or they see the 60 cycle flicker and can't read by them, or they hate the color of the light, or they hear a faint buzz."

When I worked in Power Plants in the Control Room this was a problem for some of the operators. We used to disable or shade some of the lights. I was never sure if the glare off the gages and instruments caused it or the frequency of the lights. I've been reading for hours using one of the energy saver bulbs and it hasn't bothered me. Just the normal eye tireness I've been getting the last few years.

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:51 PM

My one price example for those bulbs here...

$45bzd for 4 60 watt replacement bulbs with the energy star mark on them. I see cheaper singles sometimes and I was left wondering do they all work equally. (hence this post)

Great info Dog

My main thing was saving money on power bill. I try to make sure we do not leave any lights on that are not needed. There are a lot of fixtures in this house and some are chandelier style that take 3 - 5 bulbs in them.

Ragman do you know why it is not good to use with a dimmer? That could change things here there are a lot of dimmers in this house.

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
do they really put out UV?

All fluorescent lamps emit some UV, mostly low level. I have a track light fixture over the bar with about 12 bulbs. I actually have a beautiful bar room tan.
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 03:04 PM

hmmm, maybe I can talk someone into installing some of those in the courtroom - my tan could use some work...

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 06:23 PM

tacogirl,

I don't have dimmers so I did not ask but here is what I found on the net:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls

If a light fixture is connected to a dimmer or three-way socket fixture, you'll need to use a special ENERGY STAR qualified CFL designed to work in these applications. Make sure to look for CFLs that specify use with dimmers or three-way fixtures.

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 08:52 PM

Thanks ragman will check if they exist here at Castillo hardware.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/22/08 08:54 PM

Bio Hazard aisle 4......

Clean up crew suit up smile
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/23/08 12:05 AM

Wall warts (those plug in transformers used in electronics) draw power if left pluged in, even if nothing is connected to them. Some report 40% power usage.

Bottom line: Unplug them or switch off with a surge protector.
Posted By: GBZ39

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/23/08 12:30 AM

I'm treasurer of a condo unit in CT. I have 84 lights to illuminate the grounds....about 6 are regular flood lights. Most of the CFLs have been going about 3+ years ....probably average about 10+ hours per day.

We use them, also, in our home. They take awhile to reach their full brightness. The newer generations work much better than the older ones. CFLs don't work too well as outdoor flood lights.

Posted By: terrielinn

Re: Energy saver light bulbs - 10/24/08 07:50 PM

have you ever read the warning on CFL's? If you break one: 1) open a window 2) Evacuate premisis for atleast 15 minutes 3) during clean up do not allow contact with skin and the list goes on.

(p.s. I use them. I like them. But I also am aware of the pitfalls and precautions.)
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board