Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 03:29 PM

Whos the guy on the right?
Posted By: Danny2

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 03:38 PM

Good one, thanks.
Posted By: J DOG

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 03:54 PM

Elbert,
I believe that is Tony Bramwell, he grew up with them & also has a very cool book out about the Beatles called " Magical Mystery Tour"
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 03:58 PM

Pre Ringo, obviously.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 04:04 PM

Can it really be that the picture above is now close to 50 years old!

Pre Hamburg would put it back in The Quarrymen era, around 1958!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuOAA9ekbg&feature=related
Posted By: elbert

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 04:27 PM

found this little bit of trivia,'
In March 1957, after acquiring a guitar, John formed a skiffle group with Pete Shotton and for all of a week, they called themselves the Black Jacks. The name was quickly changed to the Quarry Men, after their Quarry Bank School, partly tongue in cheek, and partly to give the group credibility, according to "Lennon" author Ray Coleman. Their school song, "Quarry Men, Strong Before Our Birth" was rather prophetic. Group members would come and go, but the Quarry Men tag lasted well into 1959,
Posted By: Rykat

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 04:31 PM

good one, elbert. Did you take that shot too? wink
You really are as old as... cry

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 06:15 PM

Rykat this year I got a digital audio inter canal assist (hearing aid).
It made me feel old.
I got it because all these beautiful young women where saying something to me I couldn't understand, and now I can hear them, there saying ," Get away from me you dirty old man".

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/26/08 06:21 PM

Were any of them wearing purple sun tan lotion?

Or do you and Barney have a little something going on laugh
Posted By: Dan Carey

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/29/08 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by pugwash
Were any of them wearing purple sun tan lotion?

Or do you and Barney have a little something going on laugh

Hey Pug,
that's what Kodachrome was like. In the '50s there were few choices for color film, and Kodachrome was better for landscapes than for portraits.

Dan

Posted By: JRinSC

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/29/08 03:03 PM

Like your signature, Pug!!

And Elbert, I'm now stuck with buying batteries every so often myself (No. 10's). With my contacts I feel like a cyborg getting ready for bed!! laugh Are the batteries hard to find on AC??

Julian

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/29/08 03:18 PM

I bought a big supply in Merida but haven't checked . Sea Turtle Gift Shop on middle street has a wide variety I will try them first for my bionics power supply. :-)
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 02:55 PM

That guitar Paul is holding is stunning. Beautiful shape. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Posted By: Marty

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 03:22 PM

super cool pic and chat
Posted By: papashine

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 04:55 PM

It might be a gibson.

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 05:15 PM

Gibson Epiphone ?

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Carey
Hey Pug,
that's what Kodachrome was like. In the '50s there were few choices for color film, and Kodachrome was better for landscapes than for portraits.

Dan

I think you may have missed the point Dan.

In another picture, Elbert had purple ink on his finger, hence the Barney reference laugh

The guitar Paul played early on was a Rex, but not in that picture: Hohners were very popular (cheap and available) at the time in England, and were the makers of Pauls Violin Bass
http://www.pbase.com/crumblebum/rex58

I don't think it would be a Gibson at that stage of their careers due to cost and the fact that it was latter replaced by the "Rex"
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 05:25 PM

This is what DrummerDan had to say about it:

"The guitar appears to be a 1930-40 Gretsch, judging by the shape of the headstock, the tailpiece and the f-hole shape. HOWEVER, the headstock doesn't seem to have the painted Gretsch logo. Some other round metallic shield is affixed, so I'm guessing it's a European made copy of a Gretsch, either a Framus or an Italian Eko. Maybe even a Hagstrom. Not a Hofner or a Selmer."

It has a beautiful hour glass shape, and the elongated body makes the neck appear slender and petite. Me likee!

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 05:33 PM

I think Pug got it right
'The first guitar that Paul McCartney played was also a REX Archtop, Serial Number 450. '

Re: Befor the hair came down. - 10/30/08 06:25 PM

The one in the "wedding" picture is not the Rex though Elbert: I looked at 10-12 pictures of this guitar, and there is not one that shows the Head in clear view. The machine heads do not appear to be Gretch, and there's that cost thing again, this was 1958 remember.

I thought possibly Framus also, but have no thing to substantive that , other than having one way back when and it looking familiar
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board